BT Sport

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Those who are very good at this are known as master baiters :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    scott said:

Might as well mention this :-

BT strikes YouTube deal

UK telco BT has unveiled what it describes as “ambitious” plans to bring its BT Sport channels to millions of additional sports fans through a range of digital channels. These include social media, mobile and digital TV.

The plans will see the company stream its Freeview BT Sport Showcase channel on YouTube for both the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League finals. By doing so, it will bring the matches within reach of millions of additional fans who do not yet subscribe to BT Sport.

“We’ve always said we wanted to give top quality sport back to the people and making the UEFA Champions League and Europa League finals free to everyone in the UK does this in a big way,” declared John Petter, chief executive of BT Consumer. “We’re also bringing BT Sport to a new generation of younger sports fans who view their entertainment online, through social media and on their mobile devices.  We plan to make these finals the most social sports broadcast ever, with lots of exciting content in the build-up and on the night across YouTube, Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Vine.”

"Both BT and UEFA are delighted with what we have achieved in our first year as the broadcaster of the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League. The Manchester City semi-final second leg against Real Madrid had an audience peak of 1.7 million and we were privileged to show what most people regard as one of the truly outstanding European matches when Liverpool came back to beat Borussia Dortmund 4-3 in the Europa League quarter finals. That game had an audience high of 1.6 million, which is fantastic.”

“Now we want to make sure that millions more sports fans can join in from next season, accessing content digitally, whether that’s through social media, mobile devices or digital TV. BT Sport has pioneered the way when it comes to new technologies and digital platforms, whether that’s live Ultra HD, our immersive BT Sport App or red button functionality on YouView. Today’s announcements will take this further, and there’s plenty more that we’re looking at, whether that’s more programming in live Ultra HD, new App developments or our recent Virtual Reality trials at the FA Cup semi-finals and NBA.”

http://advanced-television.com/2016/05/12/92829/

Oh its gonna get deleted but have a like anyway! Hahaha!
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    scott said:

BT strikes YouTube deal

UK telco BT has unveiled what it describes as “ambitious” plans to bring its BT Sport channels to millions of additional sports fans through a range of digital channels. These include social media, mobile and digital TV.

The plans will see the company stream its Freeview BT Sport Showcase channel on YouTube for both the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League finals. By doing so, it will bring the matches within reach of millions of additional fans who do not yet subscribe to BT Sport.

“We’ve always said we wanted to give top quality sport back to the people and making the UEFA Champions League and Europa League finals free to everyone in the UK does this in a big way,” declared John Petter, chief executive of BT Consumer. “We’re also bringing BT Sport to a new generation of younger sports fans who view their entertainment online, through social media and on their mobile devices.  We plan to make these finals the most social sports broadcast ever, with lots of exciting content in the build-up and on the night across YouTube, Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Vine.”

"Both BT and UEFA are delighted with what we have achieved in our first year as the broadcaster of the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League. The Manchester City semi-final second leg against Real Madrid had an audience peak of 1.7 million and we were privileged to show what most people regard as one of the truly outstanding European matches when Liverpool came back to beat Borussia Dortmund 4-3 in the Europa League quarter finals. That game had an audience high of 1.6 million, which is fantastic.”

“Now we want to make sure that millions more sports fans can join in from next season, accessing content digitally, whether that’s through social media, mobile devices or digital TV. BT Sport has pioneered the way when it comes to new technologies and digital platforms, whether that’s live Ultra HD, our immersive BT Sport App or red button functionality on YouView. Today’s announcements will take this further, and there’s plenty more that we’re looking at, whether that’s more programming in live Ultra HD, new App developments or our recent Virtual Reality trials at the FA Cup semi-finals and NBA.”

Don't encourage him.
    edited December 2016
    scott said:

BT strikes YouTube deal

Believe me, I never encourage David in anything.  
    edited March 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw9JKyZjm7k&feature=youtu.be&list=PLubVgegS36EO7H2B4mQIXzjyP...

I see BTs YouTube feed of the live Liv Vs Sev Europa League Final is only being broadcast at 480p. And the adverts are different to YouView channel 431. I haven't bothered with Showcase.

Also, on the YouView box, BT Sport (via European Satellite feed) the HD picture on my 4K TV is a lot softer than normal. Including the studio footage. Its also suffering from fast motion blur, which has never happened before. The picture quality is sadly disappointing.  Most unusual.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Visionman said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw9JKyZjm7k&feature=youtu.be&list=PLubVgegS36EO7H2B4mQIXzjyP...

I see BTs YouTube feed of the live Liv Vs Sev Europa League Final is only being broadcast at 480p. And the adverts are different to YouView channel 431. I haven't bothered with Showcase.

Also, on the YouView box, BT Sport (via European Satellite feed) the HD picture on my 4K TV is a lot softer than normal. Including the studio footage. Its also suffering from fast motion blur, which has never happened before. The picture quality is sadly disappointing.  Most unusual.

BT are only retransmitting the host broadcasters satellite feed. Depending on the bit rate being transmitted, the cameras the host broadcaster is using etc etc will lead to a different viewing experience to the usual full BT produced UHD production.
    edited December 2016
    Visionman said:

The Host broadcaster? No wonder its different. What about your 4K picture feed, scott? I only have BTS HD.
    edited November 2016
    Visionman said:

Apologies I read that as if you were talking about the UHD picture. Not sure who the Swiss host broadcaster is but I am sure someone could find out. The UHD picture looks OK but not quite as pin sharp as normal.
    edited December 2016
    Visionman said:

Sorry scott, I have BTS HD via a 4K TV. Normally it upscales a HD picture superbly, but in this case it was very poor. Like Liverpools performance. Thats 5 defeats in 5 finals for Klopp. Ouch.
    edited December 2016
    Visionman said:

Point of info - BT Sport uses Sony 4K HDR (glass to glass) UHD cameras for its UK football coverage. Hence the different camera depth and angles. 
    edited December 2016
    Visionman said:

WTF is glass to glass?

Is it this?

https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/GG...

So just a poncy name for glass (camera lens) to glass (television screen), such as has been happening ever since John Logie Baird first demonstrated his system?

Or something more than that?

For me, glass to glass is that unmistakeable 'clink' of two goblets of a decent Viognier meeting over the dinner table :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited November 2016
    Visionman said:

Quite old now but still a good article :-

https://www.avforums.com/article/bt-sport-ultra-hd-21st-century-broadcasting.11999

including the quotes

'BT Sport Ultra HD is the first channel in the world to be able to do 4K glass-to-glass live coverage.'

'The current Ultra HD set top box uses the HEVC codec and delivers Ultra HD 4K images in 10-bit video at 50p and using the Rec.709 colour space. This is how the content is captured using the Sony 4K cameras that BT Sport helped develop and they actually own cameras one to twelve.'

and

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/behind-the-scenes-of-bt-sport-s-4k-ultra-hd-revolution-1301...

"We're using the first twelve Sony cameras in the world - new generation 4K," explains Hindhaugh, "We're using the first Fuji lenses in the world for 4K. It's very exciting for us."

The twelve Sony 4300 cameras are arrayed around the ground, offering different angles on the pitch, which means they need different lenses. There are six Fuji 80:1 box lenses and another six Fuji 22:1 lenses on show.

All old news but just confirming yes it is what you suggest Roy so all just boring :-)

edited December 2016
    Visionman said:

Should really be grass-to-glass, given it is wall-to-wall kickball, shouldn't it? :-)
    edited December 2016
    Visionman said:

Talking of grass-to-glass, here you go -
    https://www.grassvalley.com/solutions/ip
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I don't have access to BT Sport in either HD or UHD, but it was nevertheless interesting to compare the quality of the three different offerings on public view yesterday. Admittedly not very scientific, but here are my "findings" conducted over about 15 minutes in the run-up to kick-off. First, the BT Sport app via Chromecast. Very good quality, no glitches. Second, the YouTube stream, lesser quality, a fair bit of buffering though. Third, BT Showcase in SD, no interference issues as you would imagine, but dreadful quality. Finally, the performance of Liverpool was disappointing to say the least.  :-(
    edited December 2016
    redchiz said:

I don't have access to BT Sport in either HD or UHD, but it was nevertheless interesting to compare the quality of the three different offerings on public view yesterday. Admittedly not very scientific, but here are my "findings" conducted over about 15 minutes in the run-up to kick-off. First, the BT Sport app via Chromecast. Very good quality, no glitches. Second, the YouTube stream, lesser quality, a fair bit of buffering though. Third, BT Showcase in SD, no interference issues as you would imagine, but dreadful quality. Finally, the performance of Liverpool was disappointing to say the least.  :-(

It was certainly a game of 2 halves. Alberto Moreno is a liability and his performance was shocking. The HD feed wasn't too clever either. It was soft, with motion blur and slight aliasing. The worst I've ever seen, because its usually bang on.
    edited December 2016
    redchiz said:

"A game of two halves," spot on, rarely has that hoary old cliché rung truer. ;-(

But hey-ho, as with the supporters of any team, onwards and upwards. Plus we got a good new choon going amongst the fans.

edited November 2016
    redchiz said:

Not really much point comparing the feed (other than the delivery methods of this feed) because as mentioned before BT are only working with what they are given from the host broadcaster. The home games are the only ones BT produce themselves, try comparing the simultaneous home feeds with the abroad feeds when it starts again to see the difference between BT's production quality and other broadcasters.
    edited December 2016
    redchiz said:

Oh, apologies for there not being much point to observing the actual quality of actual people watching an actual game of football, rather than the PR spewing from BT HQ. Was this match advertised as being available in UHD by the way?

• David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    redchiz said:

I must admit the feeds from host broadcasters abroad can be generally poor , I've seen a few on BT European nights and also on Sky's La Liga coverage.
    edited December 2016
    redchiz said:

Another reason for Brexit, no more **** football from Europe. Oh, wait...
    edited November 2016
    redchiz said:

If you take a second and come down from your high horse redchiz what I meant is your comparison of the same feed across different platforms was a reasonable comparison but visionman saying the HD feed was worse when it is normally bang on wasn't really a good comparison because it is a feed from elsewhere and they can be poorer like David above has stated.

It was stated in multiple places it was available in UHD, apologies but I don't understand your question on that?
    edited December 2016
    redchiz said:

Redchiz - They had their 12 Sony HDR cameras at the ground along with their Timeline Television 4K OB truck which was built in conjunction with the BBC, BT, Grass Valley, Sony and Fuji, amongst others. 
    http://www.timeline.tv/services/outside-broadcasts/4k-ultra-hd-truck/

The 4K broadcast transmission itself is then interlaced with the other HD cameras in the ground. 
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    redchiz said:

I believe it was the first time the Europa League Final was made available to broadcasters in UHD (the Champions League was available last year - but in the UK  Sky/ITV  who had the rights then didn't have UHD capability.)  I watched the UHD channel on  Youview channel 434 albeit on a non 4K TV. Picture quality was good (although obviously I was watching it downgraded to HD rather than UHD) .
  • David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    redchiz said:

@Visionman

Do the likes of BT and Sky all use third party companies for these things ?

I know when I've attended the rugby games that have been broadcast on Sky I've always seen Telegenic OB trucks outside the ground.
    edited December 2016
    redchiz said:

Sky have bought their own 4K cameras and have been filming with them for quite some time. No doubt to be offered as on demand or pre-recorded live (non sport) content. The rest of the equipment is third party. But I don't have any further details than that, sorry. 
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    redchiz said:

I think BT have Sunset &VIne producing the standard/HD Premier League Soccer and Avira premiership Rugby but for the Champions League opted to have more Iin house control of the coverage. TImeline if you look at their BT Sport case profile appear to the company that were involved in the design and build of the BT Sport studio setup and subsequently provide the managed services or that facility. And now Timeline provide the live 4K broadcasts that BT show.
    edited December 2016
    redchiz said:

It's all sub-contracted these days though, isn't it? Whether from the big trucks parked outside a PL stadium near to you. Or the so-called "engineer" who turns up to poke around in your local BT cabinet. Or not as the case may be. Sorry guys, hard to resist, you could be forgiven for thinking they never had an appointments system in the first place! !  :-) 
    edited December 2016
    redchiz said:

Don't TalkTalk use the BT Openreach 'Engineer' appointment system? Sorry, hard to resist.

D
    edited December 2016
    redchiz said:

Absolutely. Is it only TalkTalk that have been affected by this then?

https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/delay-openreach-engineer-appointments