Channel 5 HD

johnnyshankjohnnyshank Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
edited 12 March 2017, 8:39PM in Archived Posts
Last night I wanted to record "Hercules" on Channel 5 HD, when I set it to record it also started to record on Channel 5 SD at the same time ( a channel which I had hidden) when I tried to delete the Channel 5 SD recording it also deleted the Channel 5 HD recording.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,456 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Was that while it was running or afterwards?

I have learned to my cost, albeit in different circumstances, to watch anything I want to watch before deleting anything else, related or not :-(
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • johnnyshankjohnnyshank Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited 25 January 2017, 1:56PM
    I deleted Channel 5 SD whilst it was recording but it deleted both so I then set to record (red record button) and it started to then record both again, not a great problem but if I had wanted to record something else at 9 o/c I presume it would have stopped me as I already had two recordings running, also It  would not let me view another channel for the same reason. 
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I suspect that the "linking" of the two parts of the film may be also incorrectly linking the SD version as well as the HD version. I didn't use a Youview box to record the program on the HD channel but did experience a strange extra (SD) extra recording attempt on a different Freeview box . I believe it is the possibly the third such instance I've experienced some issues with a split Channel 5 HD film.

As johnnyshank suggests the issue (that I noticed on a different non Youview box) is that the (single) program request appears to occupy both the tuners and thereby limiting what else can be viewed or recorded.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,456 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM
    zulu17 said:

I suspect that the "linking" of the two parts of the film may be also incorrectly linking the SD version as well as the HD version. I didn't use a Youview box to record the program on the HD channel but did experience a strange extra (SD) extra recording attempt on a different Freeview box . I believe it is the possibly the third such instance I've experienced some issues with a split Channel 5 HD film.

As johnnyshank suggests the issue (that I noticed on a different non Youview box) is that the (single) program request appears to occupy both the tuners and thereby limiting what else can be viewed or recorded.

And despite apparently being two recordings, they are also treated as a single request for deletion purposes :-(
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 December 2016, 10:35PM
    zulu17 said:

I would speculate that you are requesting deletion  of the current recording  which appears to have two linked parts the SD and HD recording. The logic for the users is that they have requested one recording .. the logic the boxes (both Youview and non Youview) seem to have is that there is more than one recording. 

Further speculation - one possible scenario

As the program Crid is probably the same identity for both the C5 and C5HD program the viewer selects a channel from the EPG  say C5HD to record thye film.  The program CRID identifies that the film comprises more than one segment so looks on ther EPG for a match but finds 2 matches (on C5 and C5HD). Both matches are stored for subsequent recording.
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 318 ✭✭
    edited 12 March 2017, 8:39PM
    Channel 5 and channel 5 HD use the same instance metadata identifier (IMI).  They also use the same IMI for repeats on their other channels, which may cause additional issues on some recorders.

The UK DTT SI rules of operation specifically state that under these circumstances a different IMI should be used for the different channels.  Channel5 don't do this.
    The programme CRID should be the same (and correctly is) but unfortunately the IMI suffix to the CRID is also being set as the same for both channels i.e. #1.   
    The UK DTT SI rules of operation (part of the d-book) state that if part of a programme with an IMI is being recorded then any programme that starts within 3 hours of the end of the part being recorded should also be recorded. Thus both broadcasts of the second part are recorded. 

For series CRIDs across the channels channel5 insert a '5' for channel 105 (at the second character shuffling the position of the remaining channels along by 1 character).  Split single programmes don't have a series CRID but do have a spit suffix (IMI) and the channal5 CRID/IMI allocation strategy so far hasn't covered this.  To correct this Channel5 would need to update their CRID/IMI allocation process.
    edited 30 May 2016, 5:51PM

Channel 5 and channel 5 HD use the same instance metadata identifier (IMI).  They also use the same IMI for repeats on their other channels, which may cause additional issues on some recorders.

The UK DTT SI rules of operation specifically state that under these circumstances a different IMI should be used for the different channels.  Channel5 don't do this.
    The programme CRID should be the same (and correctly is) but unfortunately the IMI suffix to the CRID is also being set as the same for both channels i.e. #1.   
    The UK DTT SI rules of operation (part of the d-book) state that if part of a programme with an IMI is being recorded then any programme that starts within 3 hours of the end of the part being recorded should also be recorded. Thus both broadcasts of the second part are recorded. 

For series CRIDs across the channels channel5 insert a '5' for channel 105 (at the second character shuffling the position of the remaining channels along by 1 character).  Split single programmes don't have a series CRID but do have a spit suffix (IMI) and the channal5 CRID/IMI allocation strategy so far hasn't covered this.  To correct this Channel5 would need to update their CRID/IMI allocation process.

Yea that's what I thought Lol
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Hi Johnnyshank,

Thanks for highlighting this to us. We've had a look into it and this is (as Zulu suggested) a problem with the split instance identifier not being set correctly. We'll feed this back to Channel 5.
    edited 31 May 2016, 12:31PM
    Sanj said:

Hi Johnnyshank,

Thanks for highlighting this to us. We've had a look into it and this is (as Zulu suggested) a problem with the split instance identifier not being set correctly. We'll feed this back to Channel 5.

Thanks for the reply sanj, nice to know that someone's still there at Youview.