NowTV Entertainment and Sport Bundles - Will these EVER be on YouView??

18910111214»

Comments

• JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 April 2016, 3:02PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi guys,

Just to update here-

Our ambition is always to provide our users with the best content around. Significant progress has been made to develop the technology required to allow more Players to onboard with us and for existing Players, including NOW TV, to provide additional content and functionality. However there are other factors that influence the range of content available on the YouView platform, such as rights and costs.

We remain committed to ensuring the widest range of content is available and we’re actively engaged with our partners to deliver this. As soon as we have more updates on additional content and players we will let you know.

Thanks,

Phil
    I think If Apple tv has 720p for live linear, then Youview should insist on that as a minimum quality. Don't want to give Michael G excuses to watch on his Apple tv :) After all they must have those encodes available already.
    I would expect the ondemand to be 720p, or even 1080i. Certainly not less then the best HD available on other platforms.

I think the BBC live ip channels are 720p, but the quality is so close to my eyes to the DTT 1080i hd broadcast. So perhaps 720p is good enough?...Well good enough on a 42" screen sitting 8ft away

Edit: obviously bit rate needs to be considered too. I feel like the BBC have got that one right now with their HD live restart linear IP broadcasts in iplayer
  • AshAsh Member Posts: 274 ✭✭
    edited 25 November 2016, 2:38PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi guys,

Just to update here-

Our ambition is always to provide our users with the best content around. Significant progress has been made to develop the technology required to allow more Players to onboard with us and for existing Players, including NOW TV, to provide additional content and functionality. However there are other factors that influence the range of content available on the YouView platform, such as rights and costs.

We remain committed to ensuring the widest range of content is available and we’re actively engaged with our partners to deliver this. As soon as we have more updates on additional content and players we will let you know.

Thanks,

Phil
    @scott
    I know nowTV would have to pay to have the linear channels on Youview , but if the channels were part of the EPG, they would have to pay a charge to Youview and a charge to each of the ISPs and probably arqiva as well

Where as if the channels weren't in the EPG, they would probably pay less
    edited 29 April 2016, 3:23PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi guys,

Just to update here-

Thanks,

Phil
    Another Hobnob anyone?
    edited 25 November 2016, 2:38PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi guys,

Just to update here-

Thanks,

Phil
    I like digestives myself.

Now we're talking about biscuits. Whatever next
    edited 29 April 2016, 4:13PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi guys,

Just to update here-

Thanks,

Phil
    Jammy Dodger? ...just kidding i'll get the digestives :)
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 10:48AM
    Phil8 said:

Hi guys,

Just to update here-

Thanks,

Phil
    Can I throw in a bourbon :-)
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:40AM
    Phil8 said:

Hi guys,

Just to update here-

Thanks,

Phil
    We may have to wafer a bit longer, though.....
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Michael GMichael G Member Posts: 876
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:29AM
    Phil8 said:

Hi guys,

Just to update here-

Thanks,

Phil
    I'm not interested in biscuits. I discovered a nice brand of biscuit 3 years ago and have been enjoying them ever since.
    Phil8 said:

Hi guys,

Just to update here-

Thanks,

Phil
    I would have thought the packet must be nearing the bottom by now.....
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 March 2017, 10:49AM
    Now are revising some of their bundles effectively creating a separate Childrens b=pack

https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/news-page/2016/now-tv-unveils-new-kids-pass-offering-the-late...
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM
    zulu17 said:

Now are revising some of their bundles effectively creating a separate Childrens b=pack

https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/news-page/2016/now-tv-unveils-new-kids-pass-offering-the-late...

Smart move, they have been probably seen how popular separate "Kids" packs are on other platforms. As an Entertainment Pack subscriber though I am a bit underwhelmed that the compensatory channel added for the loss of the children's ones is Nat Geo Wild.
    edited 6 March 2017, 1:50PM
    I think for now TV needs to become available on Youview very quickly because freesat is relaxing, so some of its restrictions

Have a look at this

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/05/freesat-allowed-to-host-premium-sports.html

This is going to make Youview's position even more difficult
    edited 5 May 2016, 2:42PM
    Ash4 said:

I think for now TV needs to become available on Youview very quickly because freesat is relaxing, so some of its restrictions

Have a look at this

Good find Ash - Wow that's a major development for freesat. Won't be long before we see Nowtv on freetime. That's a sensible move and makes the freetime platform much more attractive.

Although freetime have already been growing their platform this year with the addition of Wuaki - I kind of feel like Wuaki is a poor choice, due to its weird purchase restrictions. You can buy to keep, but "buy to keep" means for 3 years only. Very odd, frankly I don't how Wuaki are allowed advertise as such? Surely it's just an extended extended rental? Would this be in the remit of ofcom I wonder?
    Talktalk tv store would have been a better fit in this respect, where buy to keep means buy to keep.

If freetime do get Nowtv, which seems likely, then their portfolio will be a lot more enticing, as it already includes YouTube, Netflix, and curzon.

Hope Youview and Nowtv can come to agreement soon.
  • David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited 15 December 2016, 1:16PM
    Ash4 said:

Have a look at this

Just read this myself , potentially good news for Freesat users.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:06PM
    Ash4 said:

Have a look at this

I'm finding the new developments on Freesat/SAT/Sky fascinating, as that market has for some number of years now remained stagnant, numbers wise, with Freesat losing considerable amounts of money (which has been subsidised by the BBC).

Notable exceptions are Freetime, as it now has 40% market share of 2.4m users and has doubled the Freesat market, and also the SAT potential to launch 50 SES 4K Ultra HD channels. Interesting times.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 1:50PM
    Can't see too many UHD channels launching on Freesat anytime soon.
  • Adrian Wood1Adrian Wood1 Member Posts: 235
    edited 11 May 2016, 7:07PM
    I've just decided to return to the Youview fold, having dallied with Sky TV for a couple of years (for various reasons).   Sky TV is too expensive, so I've decided to stick with Youview (from TalkTalk but with a DTR-T2100 box), and Now TV to provide my main channels.  I'm highly unlikely to use the new Now TV with freeview box (seems certain it won't be a patch on Youview) so it is disapointing that Now TV is still not fully available on the Youview platform.  

Hope that's going to change soon - presumably it's pretty important now for commercial competitiveness and viability of the Youview platform.

However, even without Now TV - I'm still convinced Youview is best (at least for me) - despite trying pretty much all the competing platforms - see my thread "Returned to Youview" for more on that.
  • Adam_TAdam_T Member Posts: 62
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    I can see Nowtv launching on Freesat before the full service goes on Youview, they seem to have deeper pockets and (correct me if im wrong) but have added more players in 6months than Youview have in over 2years... :-/
    It just seems like Sky are adamant to flood the market with their Now TV boxes instead of pushing out the services to more platforms like Samsung tv or the like!
    edited 13 May 2016, 10:51AM
    Adam_T said:

I can see Nowtv launching on Freesat before the full service goes on Youview, they seem to have deeper pockets and (correct me if im wrong) but have added more players in 6months than Youview have in over 2years... :-/
    It just seems like Sky are adamant to flood the market with their Now TV boxes instead of pushing out the services to more platforms like Samsung tv or the like!

I think it was a year after Youview that Freesat's freetime got Netflix. So in that respect they were playing catch up to Youview.

What other players are on freetime? Curzon home cinema ( stuck behind the BT paywall on Youview as far as I know), YouTube, Hopster, & Wuaki.

Of those players I would hope to see YouTube and curzon home cinema on Youview.
    As for Wuaki it has a ridiculous purchase policy ( more of an extended rental). The almost certainly incoming talktalk tv store( blinkbox) is a far better alternative in this respect.
    Not sure about hopster? If the kid content is good I guess it will hang around, otherwise Nowtv may gobble into its profits.

I think going forward in the future, Nowtv will be a deal breaker for people thinking of joining a platform. If freesat do it first they will certainly benefit.

It sounds to me as if Youview are finally pushing to open up the platform to popular services like Nowtv. If they don't they run the risk of competition overtaking them. It's only been 4 years :)
    Adam_T said:

If YouView put in a takeover bid for these Estate Agents, they might be able to adopt a more appropriate name :-)

http://www.doolittle-dalley.co.uk/
  • Elizabeth ManuelElizabeth Manuel Member Posts: 1
    edited 1 September 2016, 11:38AM
    Adam_T said:

I worked for BT back when they were rolling out BT sports - we had a training session on the new sports and tv packages.  The trainer asked us to voice what we anticipated would be hurdles to the customer taking up the package.  I pointed out that GOT was a cultural phenomenon that BT was vastly underestimating, that BT would probably have done better to invest in securing Sky Atlantic in particular and ideally the full Now TV app. . .I pointed out that BT Movie add-on content was known to be poor and that the pricing for the TV add-ons was overly complicated and therefore off-putting to the customers (for instance, all the separate music/kids add-ons were priced at £3 each, except for the TV/film package, which both had to be purchased together at £5, so customers didn't have the option of buying just the TV at £3 and opting for sky movies add on instead of the BT movies add on.  I pointed out that pricing all the BT add-ons at £3 would have simplified the purchase for customers, prevented lengthy/costly discussions during the sales call about the frustration of the customer effectively being forced to pay for Bt movies if they only wanted the TV content.  

Voicing these concerns got me yelled at by the BT class trainer for 'being negative' about BT. . .he actually yelled at me in front of colleagues ffs - and when I pointed out that I was not being negative, simply answering his request to pre-empt issues the customer might have - he threatened to get a manager to 'deal with me'. . .I was a newbie, so felt incredibly intimidated and humiliated.  I left not long after, not wholly because of that showdown, but certainly it added weight to my decision to leave. I now feel slightly vindicated at hearing UEFA concerns at the poor viewing figures for BT sports and the fact that huge swaithes of SKY customers are indeed complaining that they are being prevented from accepting cheaper packages with BT due to GOT being unavailable on their Youview platform. It's a shame, because apart from that weirdly volatile trainer, the BT team was great to work for and they don't throttle their internet speeds at peak times like many providers. It's almost like the BT think tank members/CEOs were a bunch of die hard sports fans who got over enthused at the idea of piloting their own sports channels and let their personal preferences get in the way of monitoring customer preferences. It was a missed opportunity to evolve and a significantly costly mistake for BT I'd say.
    Adam_T said:

Given that Sky now claim NowTV users as Sky customers, I expect BT did not want its entire user base subverted in that way, and/or double-counted such that all the various market shares would start adding up to more than 100% of the market :-)

But it is not just BT - for some unfathomable reason, NowTV is about the one major service not available on the Sony Android YouView TVs.

Though anyone who cannot hack the minor annoyances of buying and using a small £15 box to support a NowTV subscription, which can easily be plugged in alongside a YouView box in one of the many HDMI sockets that TVs come dripping with these days, deserves to be kept paying for a full Sky subscription :-)
  • Adrian Wood1Adrian Wood1 Member Posts: 235
    edited 1 September 2016, 9:09PM
    Adam_T said:

If Now TV were ever fully included in Youview, the universal search facility would make it far easier to use as part of the overall viewing and content finding experience than a separate box.  I do have a separate Now TV box, but its search facility is very poor, even ignoring the fact it isn't integrated into Youview.
    Adam_T said:

No, it would make the search impossible, as it does now when you look for movies, and get swamped with NowTV results despite not having subscribed to the movies package which is the only way you would ever get access to these movies.

Unless YouView implemented the eminently sensible suggestion that content from services you are not subscribed to should not appear in your search.

Something they have been asked for countless times, but have chosen to display their level of regard for their customers' wishes by roundly ignoring :-(
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:06PM
    Adam_T said:

"If Now TV were ever fully included in Youview, the universal search facility would make it far easier to use."

No, actually. The opposite would be true. As as things stand at the moment, non-subscriber users get flooded with search results that are useless to them and are time consuming to trawl through, to say the least.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Adam_TAdam_T Member Posts: 62
    edited 2 September 2016, 11:46AM
    Adam_T said:

100% this!  It would also make the Discover section even more unusable!