[Discussion] YouView Android App Update September 2016

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Announcements
Please feel free to discuss the latest YouView Android 9.0 app update in this discussion thread.

Comments

• momistmomist Posts: 139Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    OK, I went to the Play Store and downloaded the new app.  My last version was 7.0.something, and the new one is now version AND9.0.70-external.  I've not used it properly yet, but it appears very similar apart from the new facilities.
    My questions are, why did I never see version 8?  Why does the app not offer the update itself automatically, as most others seem to do?
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:41AM
    momist said:

OK, I went to the Play Store and downloaded the new app.  My last version was 7.0.something, and the new one is now version AND9.0.70-external.  I've not used it properly yet, but it appears very similar apart from the new facilities.
    My questions are, why did I never see version 8?  Why does the app not offer the update itself automatically, as most others seem to do?

I found this new version in the list of new versions that Google Play puts together as they occur, and it was installed as part of me triggering those updates to download and install, from a single request,

Or do you expect that if you start an Android app that has an update pending, it should initiate it for you?

I have Chrome and Google Photos each pending an update at the moment; neither app offers me that update if I go and just start it, and nor does either app have any option for me to get the update from within the app.

Not on a Moto G on Android 5.1, anyway.

I don't know why you didn't see version 8; maybe nobody did, because there wasn't one released?
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
    It's great to see catchup now integrated into the Android app at last.

What I don't understand, though, in either the iOS or the Android version, is why we can't select and watch the current live programme, for those channels which have Players?

That would be a really good feature.

I don't think it can be a rights issue, or a technical issue, since - with the possible exception of the Android BBC iPlayer, which I will come back to - it's perfectly possible to select a catchup programme, start it, and then navigate away into the main body of the Player app, and start a live stream.

It's just inconvenient to have to do that, and I hope YouView will consider making it unnecessary.

Re the Android BBC iPlayer, this seems to be a bit of an exception; while you can break out of the selected programme, you can only go to other episodes of the same programme, or to a BBC-curated list of other programmes, and you can't just go to live because you want to.

But you perfectly well can on the iOS version.

But unusually, and for some unknown reason, with the BBC iPlayer on iOS, you get taken towards the Safari browser version, though you are offered the app version as an alternative. And you don't seem to be able to change this behaviour, to default to one or the other; you get both each time.

With Android , the same choice comes up initially, but you can plump for your choice to be 'Just Once', or 'Every Time'.

I plumped for the app, every time, on my Moto G, but from my Nexus 7, I know that the behaviour I describe above is different for the (Chrome) browser version, where I can easily get to the live channels. But the App behaves the same as on the Moto G.

So it is just the BBC App, on Android alone, that ghettoises you, and on the browser it is fine, on iOS both are fine, and the ITV and All4 players are fine on both platforms, as regards accessing live from the YouView app; though as above, not seamlessly.

And nor do I know how to get my choice on the Moto G unplumbed again, so I could try it :-(

As regards the My5 and UKTV Players, I can't find any programmes I can watch on catchup from YouView on 5, Dave, or Really, on Android.

Though I can watch some programmes from 5 on iOS (e.g. The Fairly Odd Parents from this morning, which cannot be watched on Android, even though I have their App), and I can break out to live from that in My5.

Not quite as seamless or consistent as we might like then, though I do not minimise the complications of trying to get a consistent interface to, and within, these disparate Players.
  • momistmomist Posts: 139Member
    edited 21 December 2016, 1:18AM
    momist said:

"I found this new version in the list of new versions that Google Play puts together as they occur,"  Yes, that.  OK I was obviously ahead of the update curve somehow.  The email notification from YV led me to update before the Play Store told me it was available.  I jumped to the conclusion that version 8 may have been previously available, but the Play Store never informed me.
    On the tiny screen of my Samsung S4 mini, I have no use for streaming TV whether live, or on catch up.  I do find the YV app useful for setting up recordings from distant locations though.
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:41AM
    momist said:

Certainly on my Nexus, the YouView app was also version 7-something before I updated it. So I don't think you missed anything :-)

I suppose I should have qualified my enthusiasm for the new features by mentioning tablets rather than smartphones for handheld use - it's fine watching stuff on the Nexus , but on my Moto G (1st Gen) it's like a dog walking on its hind legs.

But then many smartphones are more capable than my Moto G (which cannot cast) and can cast to a smart TV; handy for those TVs with less than a full complement of Players, and no YouView box to hand.
    Here is a screenshot of YouView AND9.0.70-external on my Moto G 1st Gen phone, running Android 5.1 patched to 2016-03-01, with no further updates available.

I am in Spain, with the phone set to Spanish time, and it is paired with my T2000 back in the UK.

This isn't right at all, is it?

The legend says Thursday, the little calendar says Wednesday and the highlighted day is Wednesday, but the blue 'today' arrow points to Tuesday.

The phone definitely knows it is Wednesday, but the app thinks it is Tuesday today, and shows Today when I move to Tuesday.

The Guide details shown, I discover by finding a unique BBC Four programme, are for Thursday.

I also note, on a slightly separate issue, that the Android app is using a 24-hour clock, the iPad app AM and PM, and neither is respecting my choice of Time presentation in my System settings on these devices :-(
    Very cagey about what's been fixed, Phil.

Wouldn't have anything to do with the above, would it, which I don't seem to be able to provoke any more?
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM
    Hi Roy,

I'll feed this issue back to our mobile team, the most recent update addresses communications issue between the app and the back-end but otherwise nothing that should impact the function or user experience in any way (this is why the version number is unchanged).

Phil