Amazon Echo / Alexa

MattTMattT Posts: 16Member
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
Amazon Echo / Alexa is a device for home automation that uses voice commands to (amongst many other things) operate gadgets connected on the network. As the Youview box is connected to the router could it be feasible that you could just say "Alexa, record Coronation Street tonight"... and it does. "Alexa, when is Victoria on next"....

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,491Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    This may be possible in the future, but in the right here and right now, no unfortunately. 
  • David8David8 Posts: 650Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 2:50PM
    I'd prefer to be able to say Alexa scrap Coronation Street. ;-)
  • MattTMattT Posts: 16Member
    edited 9 October 2016, 10:58PM
    David8 said:

I'd prefer to be able to say Alexa scrap Coronation Street. ;-)

Me too!
  • MattTMattT Posts: 16Member
    edited 14 March 2017, 7:37PM
    Visionman said:

This may be possible in the future, but in the right here and right now, no unfortunately. 

Yep, it's just listed as an idea. One area YV should at least be looking at.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,205Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I was pleased to see that for those with a family member named Alexa, say, it is possible to set a different Wake Word.

But you can only choose this from a drop-down list it seems, so we won't be able to call ours Crunchbird :-(
    Deploying my talents elsewhere now
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,924Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Or you could get a dog, call it "Alexa" and train it to use your YouView box. Just a thought.
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:41AM
    redchiz said:

Or you could get a dog, call it "Alexa" and train it to use your YouView box. Just a thought.

What would you teach it first, though?

How to operate the paws button?
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    redchiz said:

Ba-dum tschh!  :)
    redchiz said:

Maybe you'd need a special lead? You know, one of those that rewinds?
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,297Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:03AM
    redchiz said:

Would it need to be a guide dog?
    redchiz said:

A seeing eye dog you mean, as they are known in North America? Brilliant idea, could also be a good solution for multi-room.
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:41AM
    redchiz said:

I tried to teach my dog to use social media, but I think he is more of a woofer than a tweeter :-)
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,297Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:03AM
    redchiz said:

You're such a wag Roy :-)