Quest Player no longer available on YouView from 9th October 2016

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
edited 4 September 2017, 12:18AM in Announcements
Hi all,

Unfortunately from 9th October, Quest will no longer offer their On Demand Player on YouView.

However, you can still enjoy Quest and Quest +1 live channels via the YouView guide and record shows.

Thanks,

Phil

Comments

• DarrenDarren Posts: 264Member ✭✭
    edited 11 May 2017, 8:39PM
    Thats a shame that the Quest on demand player is coming of Youview. Is there a reason for this.
    Hope more apps will come to Youview over time.

Darren
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,789Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM
    Darren2 said:

Thats a shame that the Quest on demand player is coming of Youview. Is there a reason for this.
    Hope more apps will come to Youview over time.

Darren

Without judging individual viewing preferences in relation to content, I do feel that the fact you had to scroll across a page to find the Quest Player, which some may not have realised, contributed to its lack of success. If, so, what a sadly mundane reason for the demise. :-(
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    Without judging individual viewing preferences in relation to content, I do feel that the fact you had to scroll across a page to find the Quest Player, which some may not have realised, contributed to its lack of success. If, so, what a sadly mundane reason for the demise. :-(
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    Without judging individual viewing preferences in relation to content, I do feel that the fact you had to scroll across a page to find the Quest Player, which some may not have realised, contributed to its lack of success. If so, what a sadly mundane reason for the demise. :-(
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,993Member ✭✭✭
    edited 19 October 2016, 10:53PM
    A shame to see this backward step for Youview. For retail at least its one less differential from freeview play and freesat. Youview has become a little less competitive through this loss.

Redchiz has a good point about app visability on the second page. It's not a player I used much, but there were some very good documentaries on there. I think being on the second page kept it out of visability and consideration. I think also brand awareness was not as strong as the other players.

I think it also puts the spot light on Youviews pricing structure for app partners ( whatever they may be) for instance why haven't we seen many new apps on the platform? Is it too costly?

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this app resurfacing on freeview play at some point.
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 904Member ✭✭
    edited 1 March 2017, 10:49AM
    A few observations ..
    Quest is really a Discovery channel where they have opted not to use the Discovery branding. Discovery have a ranges of channels mostly packaged with pay Tv providers and have catch-up content available via a variety of those providers.

the Quest player on Youview seems to be one provided by Arqiva rather than a Discovery in house development.
  • Iain WarnerIain Warner Posts: 1Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    This sucks! (sorry to come over all american!). I used this loads... How the hell will I get my fix of wheeler dealers and Chasing Classic Cars now?!
    Removing players is a backwards step for youview? Should be adding them, rather than losing them?!
    As for being on the second page - it was on the first page on my box (S4C being the only player on the second page).
    So what's lead to this? How do Discovery benefit from still having the channel on freeview but not having the player???
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,813Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:41AM

This sucks! (sorry to come over all american!). I used this loads... How the hell will I get my fix of wheeler dealers and Chasing Classic Cars now?!
    Removing players is a backwards step for youview? Should be adding them, rather than losing them?!
    As for being on the second page - it was on the first page on my box (S4C being the only player on the second page).
    So what's lead to this? How do Discovery benefit from still having the channel on freeview but not having the player???

Watch live or record it?
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?

Oh, come on Roy, surprised at you, one could say that about most player services.

Players are getting so content-rich and so ubiquitous that it is easy to forget about these earlier, more low-tech, options :-)
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,184Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:06PM

zulu17>
    "Quest is really a Discovery channel."

Yes. But two parties can play hard ball.Never mind TalkTalk and YouView, I doubt BT will renew with them either.
    Stupid... And all for the sake of SKY playing hardball with them. Do me a favour... 

But if the Player it must be, it is still on the web, for the moment at least:-

http://www.questtv.co.uk/video/

Where the bottom of the page reveals its Discovery provenance to boot.
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    To me, its just a stupid stance. Monetarily, SKY is a behemoth, but they offered a vastly reduced revenue for them to stay. Yet viewer wise, SKY are no big fish (and BARB data fully backs that up). So for they to play hard ball with Discovery, only for Discovery to then play hardball with increased fees for others just doesn't make sense. And where other platforms are concerned, some money is better than none.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 4 September 2017, 12:18AM
    I do find Youview to be one of the better Smart TV services intergrated into TV and set top boxes but not much content has come out recently and the website has been the same for a long time, it seems that YouView have been in hibernation and nothing much happens anymore, other boxes are catching up such as freeview play, some smart TVS have more functions, but the recording on the go and live pause it good but the loss of quest is a shame, I can't understand why they pulled out and no one at YouView has said, Its a shame as I like the QUEST service it added real value to the YOuView Service.

I do find Youview to be one of the better Smart TV services intergrated into TV and set top boxes but not much content has come out recently and the website has been the same for a long time, it seems that YouView have been in hibernation and nothing much happens anymore, other boxes are catching up such as freeview play, some smart TVS have more functions, but the recording on the go and live pause it good but the loss of quest is a shame, I can't understand why they pulled out and no one at YouView has said, Its a shame as I like the QUEST service it added real value to the YOuView Service.

Explanations are rarely forthcoming, other than the usual "commercial reasons" guff. As for the rest of your comments, I couldn't agree more.

edited 11 October 2016, 5:11PM

COME ON YOUVIEW WAKE UP OTHERWISE THIS WILL BE ANOTHER BRAND GONE IN THE UK, YOUVIEW NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING 

Ah, you were doing so well until you started shouting.  :-(
    edited 11 October 2016, 5:11PM

Redchiz you were not doing so well,  I will SHOUT if I want to, who are you to tell me what to do. 

Oh dear, goodbye.

Yes, plonk! for a plonker from me also :-(

Unless you want to modify your stance, given clue from an established and respected member, Samuel?
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:06PM

I've learnt over the years, shouting never does any good. And if a user shouts long enough and hard enough, people just stop listening. Far better to talk...
    edited 12 October 2016, 9:19AM

Visionman, you must be sad, I never realised i was shouting this is text not speach, you must be so bored or BORING to have to write back to me saying such utter nonsense,  I was tying or texting not speaking, and if I want to SHOUT I will but who are you to tell me what to do, this is a message board about YOUVIEW and not about how we speak.  YAWN what dull response from Visionman, wow wee what fun you must have.
    edited 12 October 2016, 9:19AM

ROY I WANT THE APP IT WAS GREAT - YOU WATCH OR RECORD I LIKE THE APP, YOU BEEN ON HERE SINCE 2012, Have you nothing else to do, you often add some great comments as your are the king or maybe queen of YOUVIEW. 
  • scottscott Posts: 1,890Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 10:48AM
    Visionman said:

To me, its just a stupid stance. Monetarily, SKY is a behemoth, but they offered a vastly reduced revenue for them to stay. Yet viewer wise, SKY are no big fish (and BARB data fully backs that up). So for they to play hard ball with Discovery, only for Discovery to then play hardball with increased fees for others just doesn't make sense. And where other platforms are concerned, some money is better than none.

I presume this is another idea by SKY...

Discovery and Sky said in a joint statement: "The multi-year partnership begins with immediate effect and includes responsibility for managing the sale of Discovery’s full advertising inventory, including sponsorship and video on demand."

Read more at http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/discovery-agrees-estimated-800m-long-term-ad-sales-deal-sky/14...

Back on your meds, Samuel.
  • David8David8 Posts: 645Member ✭✭
    edited 15 December 2016, 1:16PM
    Visionman said:

I'm not sure what your trying to get at here Scott.
    Visionman said:

So a few days after sky take over responsibility for managing discoverys on demand inventory, one of their players is pulled from a competing service, one which hosts (and if you believe the rumours might soon be wholly owned by a single main competitor to sky) a competing service. Maybe I just like conspiracy theories :-)
  • David8David8 Posts: 645Member ✭✭
    edited 15 December 2016, 1:16PM
    Visionman said:

It would seem so , Quest On Demand can hardly be classed as the crown Jewels can it ?

Discovery channels have generally gone downhill of late in my opinion , I personally rarely watch them.
    Visionman said:

I expect those car restorers will have tackled a Sceptre at some point though.

But as I never watch Discovery, i don't really know.

Though I guess that makes me whatever you claim to be in that area, but even more so :-)
    Visionman said:

An old banger!!