Sky Store Player no longer available on YouView from 30th November 2016

124»

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman ✭✭✭ Posts: 9,509Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    Visionman said:

Joe, have either you, or anyone else, asked for a refund on your purchases? Or is that covered by Ts&Cs ?

I only see zulu17 fiercely debating the Now TV situation. And he's right. Your turn to read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 4 November 2016, 2:51AM
    Visionman said:

Joe, have either you, or anyone else, asked for a refund on your purchases? Or is that covered by Ts&Cs ?

Oh Zulu17 this is all sad... Lers get some sleep. Why don't you sleep
    edited 4 November 2016, 2:52AM
    Visionman said:

Shhhh hush dont cry just sleep and forum night night
  • Adam_TAdam_T Posts: 46Member
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Hmm, it seems if NowTV on Youview isnt going to get updated anytime soon...

Hi @joseph71 

Thanks for getting in touch with us.  

As you mentioned, YouView NOW TV content can only be offered as SD currently. There are no current plans to develop this but it may be something that's explored in future. 

I do understand this may not be the ideal method of viewing content for your needs. You may find one of our other supported devicessuit this better.

I apologise for any inconvenience it's caused you. 

Rob

NOW TV Team

Adam_T said:

Hi @joseph71 

As you mentioned, YouView NOW TV content can only be offered as SD currently. There are no current plans to develop this but it may be something that's explored in future. 

I do understand this may not be the ideal method of viewing content for your needs. You may find one of our other supported devicessuit this better.

Rob

NOW TV Team

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/YouView/Why-is-nowtv-limited-to-SD-quality-on-Youview/m-p/404807#

Refers to the SD nature of Now TV on YouView, with no plans to introduce HD in the future. Which is purely a commercial decision and a topic in itself! Indeed there a a few threads on here about it.
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    I see Joe's not the only YouView user to be partially benefited by this change -
    https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Sky-Store-Player-no-longer-available-on-YouView-from-30th/...#

The more I've thought about this, the more inclined I am to say that this is a purely commercial move by SKY as in a 'costs to profit' ratio. And in the order of things on the Players screen, only SC4 in less popular. So I'm again inclined to say they probably weren't making a profit from being on YouView and so cut their losses.
  • David8David8 ✭✭ Posts: 650Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 2:50PM
    Chuck them a free Now TV box :-)
    David8 said:

Chuck them a free Now TV box :-)

Which makes sense. Allegedly they only cost Sky a tenner, so a couple of purchases later they are already in profit. Plus adding to SKYS opaque user number presentation figures. ;)
  • Adam_TAdam_T Posts: 46Member
    edited 7 November 2016, 11:24AM
    Adam_T said:

Hi @joseph71 

Rob

NOW TV Team

Oh aye ive seen those heh but its more the "No plans to develop this" which to me at least implies itll remain as it is and possibly become abandonware before being removed...
    Which to be honest id be fine with as itd mean the search results/on demand wont be as clogged up! :-)
  • stormystormy ✭✭ Posts: 1,025Member ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 9:24AM
    redchiz said:

Has anyone considered the alternative possibility, namely that BT's increasing control of YouView has determined that competing services are removed from "their" platform? After all BT have their own buy-to-keep service, as for that matter do TalkTalk.

The Panasonic Freeview Play boxes get good reviews. :)
    redchiz said:

Has anyone considered the alternative possibility, namely that BT's increasing control of YouView has determined that competing services are removed from "their" platform? After all BT have their own buy-to-keep service, as for that matter do TalkTalk.

Yet users on the AVForum say they are still work in progress. And very expensive.
    edited 15 December 2016, 2:16PM
    redchiz said:

Youview is still work in progress isn't it ?
    redchiz said:

Oh you have no idea..... ;)

YouView is designed to always be a work in progress, constantly trying to improve on previous versions. Slowly for sure, but there you go.
    edited 15 December 2016, 2:16PM
    redchiz said:

The same as most other products then ;-)
    redchiz said:

Indeed. Going back to Freeview Play though, I'm talking about stability issues, some of which have been horrendous. Certainly not a recommended product until they fix them. One of them being spontaneous factory resets, with users losing all their recordings. Its certainly no YouView.
  • RoyRoy ✭✭✭ Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:41AM
    redchiz said:

IIRC, this far along in the YouView journey, BFIS was still stalking the land?
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
    redchiz said:

Ha! I knew you were going to say that. ;)
    Which begs the question have the PSB partners learned nothing from their trip? Its a strange one to be sure.
  • RoyRoy ✭✭✭ Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:41AM
    redchiz said:

Do the Humax coffee machines work OK on Foreplay, do we know?
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
    redchiz said:

Apparently they start but then stop.
  • redchizredchiz ✭✭✭ Posts: 4,936Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    redchiz said:

"Foreplay" - I'm surprised Channel 4 haven't adopted that! 
  • jimbjimb ✭✭✭ Posts: 1,127Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 8:57PM
    A Sky spokesman said: “We have taken the decision to remove the Sky Store app from YouView due to a significant increase in platform charges imposed [by the platform].

http://m.broadcastnow.co.uk/5111192.a...
  • jimbjimb ✭✭✭ Posts: 1,127Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 8:19PM
    jimb said:

A Sky spokesman said: “We have taken the decision to remove the Sky Store app from YouView due to a significant increase in platform charges imposed [by the platform].

Sky is to pull its TV and fi lm download app Sky Store from YouView after the platform ramped up its charges.

The app previously enabled YouView customers to download-to- own or rent shows including House Of Cards, Mrs Brown’s Boys and Breaking Bad.

It will cease to be available via YouView, and by proxy the TalkTalk TV and BT TV services, from the end of this month. YouView has 2.5 million customers.

“Sky Store is a very popular offering and remains widely available to customers, who can access the service on their TV through a choice of platforms, on Mac or PC through skystore.com, and on tablet or mobile using the Sky Store app.”

Sky Store purchases made via YouView will still be available to view on other platforms.

The broadcaster expects to continue to offer Now TV, its subscription- free premium content OTT service, via YouView. The service is understood to be subject to separate negotiations.

A YouView spokesperson said Sky’s decision to remove Store would not have a significant effect on the customer experience. “YouView offers a huge range of content across the UK’s biggest players. Sky’s decision to remove

Sky Store based on their economics is regrettable for viewers. However, a wide choice of buy-to-own films is still available on YouView, including from Sky.”

Separately, Discovery has pulled its VoD app Quest on Demand from YouView, exactly two years after it launched.

The pay-TV broadcaster declined to reveal the thinking behind the decision and the catch-up service remains available online.

The Quest on Demand app offered access to series including Salvage Hunters, Robson Green: Extreme Fisherman and HMS Ark Royal.
  • JoeJoe ✭✭✭ Posts: 2,009Member ✭✭✭
    edited 10 November 2016, 11:42AM
    jimb said:

Interesting - thanks for the update...There now follows a pause for thought
    edited 10 November 2016, 11:44AM
    jimb said:

I expect the reasoning to be confirmed in a written letter sent to all sky store customers on Youview. Apparently a letter will be sent
    edited 4 September 2017, 1:18AM
    It would be nice to see Youview respond to some of these messages but they have gone quiet, it is all to do with Money,  SKY are not making in my opinion enough sales because of Youview, Freeview play, Netflix, Amazon and other services, so they fulfilled a request of allowing access to certain services so as not to be the dominant player and be anti competitive and now i believe they are taking back services in hope of gaining a bigger share, SKY will soon be doing mobile phones and try and get some of this share.   It is greed,   Youview have become very closed and non responsive to people who have purchased their services, we have not been updated by the company as to what is going on, what will replace these services.   I would suggest people call youview either their head office or outsourced customer support services and log dissatisfaction.   Nothing new has been implemented to this service and we purchased on the understanding more apps and services will come and all we get told for last 2 years is watch this space.   SKY is expensive and this is why we use Youview but the service seems to be changing for the worse with loss of SKY Store  and Quest but nothing yet to replace it.   The service needs to improve otherwise people will ditch the boxes as some other providers currently offer more if you have their boxes.   I think Youview will need to do something fast to keep the service going.
    edited 10 November 2016, 12:11PM
    jimb said:

Ok - There are a few concerns here.

1. Youview has raised the charges for content providers, driving away one of the biggest names in UK digital buy to keep/rent
    2. Youview's higher platform charges are going to prevent other providers from joining, resulting in a stagnant if not backwards leaning platform.
    3. Competition from other platforms is increasing at a very fast pace, content choice will be better else where, which could lead to falling number of users on the Youview platform.

I suppose the big question we should ask is , is the increase in platform charges within reason? With big content providers leaving youview, it would suggest that this decision is beyond what might be termed reasonable. Pulling a popular service completely must be the last resort for any commercial company.
  • Lee Hart2Lee Hart2 Posts: 12Member
    edited 12 November 2016, 12:07AM
    Maybe Wuaki is an viable alternative and cheaper than Sky Store anyway? I didn't use to rate Wuaki but recently their content matches Sky but costs £s less.
    This debacle is making me think about a PC media box which can do all the platforms plus stream from your server and has none of the tedious restrictions these set-up boxes put us all through from time to time. It has to be the least stressful and most sensible option?