Automatic Software Update August 2016

2»

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:41AM

I was quite happy with Youview until the latest update. Using the remote was very slow ,now has  speeded up but like Walter I have lost the text . Whenever I press text i get nothing. I've read comments from goverp but this seems like going around the houses to get back in the house again. Can I delete latest update to go back to when everything worked as it did. ie if it aint broke do'nt fix it. If I can delete update how do I do it.
    Robert

I know of no such routines on the YouView box, but certainly observe something comparable on our Samsung TV, which is balky at responding to channel or volume commands for a minute or two - though not jerky as such.

If you normally switch TV and YouView box on at the same time, can you try putting the TV on a few minutes earlier, and see if the jerkiness still occurs when you eventually put the YouView box on?

This will show which is the culprit here.

Re the Text change, you can hardly call this a fault, as it is deliberate. You can call it a 'needless b*ggeration' if you really don't like what the Red Button does :-)
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Posts: 314Member
    edited 21 December 2016, 9:19PM

Hi Phil

Can you please tell me when you are going to fix the 'catch up' TV problem. I can get BBC iPlayer but none of the others work. They just hang forever.

Thanks

Dave

Dave, can you supply a link to where this issue has been raised?  Providing my router's firewall is not blocking the catch-up app I for one certainly do not get any hanging at any stage.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,281Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:03AM

I was quite happy with Youview until the latest update. Using the remote was very slow ,now has  speeded up but like Walter I have lost the text . Whenever I press text i get nothing. I've read comments from goverp but this seems like going around the houses to get back in the house again. Can I delete latest update to go back to when everything worked as it did. ie if it aint broke do'nt fix it. If I can delete update how do I do it.
    Robert

The Text button really became redundant when the BBC stopped transmitting Teletext in 2012 when the analogue signal was switched off, but for those who feel nostalgic towards it:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/shortcuts/2016/aug/10/teefax-a-nostalgic-return-to-the-days-o...

Hi Phil

Can you please tell me when you are going to fix the 'catch up' TV problem. I can get BBC iPlayer but none of the others work. They just hang forever.

Thanks

Dave

Dave, you need your YouView box to have been tuned via the aerial before the other Players will work.

Other than that, there is no universal reason for the players not working, and nor are people reporting that; just isolated local difficulties, as I expect yours is.

But if you have tuned the box OK, try a soft reset; touch the On/Standby button (on the left on most current models, but on the centre ring on the T1000s) for just over 8 seconds, until the box reboots.

Does this bring your players back?
  • RaphaelRaphael Posts: 1Member
    edited 13 August 2016, 5:04PM

Sorry to seem ungrateful Phil but "This is a minor maintenance release" doesn't quite do it for us techie types out here! Any chance of more detail? After all, if it didn't actually "fix" something, you wouldn't have released it would you? So, what changed?

I have lost channels e.g. Al Jazeera.  You did not say it was going to happen.  I watch occasionally to get some balance on the news as well as RT.
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,016Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Since this update my T1010 has become slower than ever. Was this update optimised for T2000 and T4000 machines because everything on the box is now really sluggish compared to being just slow. :)

Even the missus is complaining now, and she is not usually bothered by such things. :( I am now getting nagged to replace it with something better, she used to love it.
  • MeeeeeeeeeeeeeMeeeeeeeeeeeee Posts: 18Member
    edited 9 September 2016, 7:59AM
    Yeah, I too am experiencing problems again, slow response doing almost anything. Can live with it for now, but what about any future updates... hmmm.
  • Steve AllenSteve Allen Posts: 47Member
    edited 9 September 2016, 1:03PM
    stormy said:

Since this update my T1010 has become slower than ever. Was this update optimised for T2000 and T4000 machines because everything on the box is now really sluggish compared to being just slow. :)

Even the missus is complaining now, and she is not usually bothered by such things. :( I am now getting nagged to replace it with something better, she used to love it.

Same for me, DTR-T1000, so much slower since update. Tried soft reset and power down. Every aspect appears slower.
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,016Member ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 9:24AM
    stormy said:

Yeh, I have tried a soft reset and leaving the DTR totally powered off for a while by the power switch on the back. Very slow now, painfully so.
  • IWGIWG Posts: 2Member
    edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM
    I too have problems with my DTR-T1000 since the latest update.  Sluggish performance, crashes and temporary loss of picture during playback and streaming.  Starting to get really annoying now.  Will the next update fix this or do I need to start looking for a new PVR?  DTR is about 4 years old now - it was one of the trial boxes when Youview was launched.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 9:55PM
    IWG said:

I too have problems with my DTR-T1000 since the latest update.  Sluggish performance, crashes and temporary loss of picture during playback and streaming.  Starting to get really annoying now.  Will the next update fix this or do I need to start looking for a new PVR?  DTR is about 4 years old now - it was one of the trial boxes when Youview was launched.

Hi IWG,

Have you tried a soft reboot of your box mentioned by Roy in an earlier post? You would need to hold the power button down on the front of your box for 8 seconds until the box restarts. Let me know if this helps at all!

Phil
  • IWGIWG Posts: 2Member
    edited 20 September 2016, 5:07PM
    IWG said:

Yes I have tried this several times and whilst it reboots from a crash, it has not solved the other performance issues.  I am going to try and do the maintenance mode recovery tonight and if that does not improve matters I will have to go shopping for a new box as the glitches are getting annoying.  T2000 or another make?   
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 269Member ✭✭
    edited 11 May 2017, 9:39PM
    My T1000 BT Youview box that I now only use as a Freeview PVR and for the free catch up players still don't seem to have the update. Yet the BT G4 Youview box that I also use for BT TV updated fine over 3 weeks ago and my sisters DTR T2000 1TB box that I bought her for her birthday just over 2 weeks ago has also updated ok. I take it as I have heard that the T1000 boxes may no longer be getting anymore updates and are on there road out.

Darren
    Darren2 said:

My T1000 BT Youview box that I now only use as a Freeview PVR and for the free catch up players still don't seem to have the update. Yet the BT G4 Youview box that I also use for BT TV updated fine over 3 weeks ago and my sisters DTR T2000 1TB box that I bought her for her birthday just over 2 weeks ago has also updated ok. I take it as I have heard that the T1000 boxes may no longer be getting anymore updates and are on there road out.

Darren

Heard where? This is certainly not anything that YouView have said. Or even thought, if I am any judge....
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 921Member ✭✭
    edited 14 December 2016, 10:35PM
    Darren2 said:

Darren

Well last week (14 Sept) I connected up my old BT T1000 and received the update straight away so the update is clearly available.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,334Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    Darren2 said:

Darren

Darren>
    I take it as I have heard that the T1000 boxes may no longer be getting anymore updates and are on there road out.

YouView are committed to providing updates for the life of ones equipment, including Sony TVs. Whispers of echos upon whisps of the wind do not count.
  • steve10steve10 Posts: 6Member
    edited 17 December 2016, 7:50PM
    stormy said:

My humax youview dtr1000 box is now pretty useless - due to the slow response on every command - guide, channel changing etc etc etc - any help appreciated - have done everything here above - its got to the stage of being junk status 
    s/w 26.40.0
    component 3.0.47
    platform 3034
    isp config 9
    stormy said:

It's likely that your box is failing. As they age the capacitors in the power supply drift off spec, causing the box to behave unpredictably. You should probably consider watching any recorded programmes that are important to you before it stops working. Alternatively you might have the skills needed to replace the caps, or you could find a tech able to do the job for you.
  • MeeeeeeeeeeeeeMeeeeeeeeeeeee Posts: 18Member
    edited 18 December 2016, 9:44AM
    stormy said:

You are not the only one, mine's running like a dog now, well a very slow 3 legged one. As previously stated, since the updates happened. Takes ages for a key button to respond etc. etc.
    stormy said:

"since the updates happened."

A possible explanation for this is that the process of updating the software requires more power from the PSU than the box normally uses, putting extra stress on the already failing capacitors. This causes them to deteriorate further, which adversely affects the subsequent performance of the box.

YouView boxes receive regular software updates, so any problems with a box are bound to happen after one update or another.

It is inevitable that at some stage our boxes will fail. Humax T1000 series boxes, in particular the early ones, do not have a reputation for longevity. The problem is that when they fail we lose our recordings, but AFAIK this is in line with all current UK spec PVRs.
  • steve10steve10 Posts: 6Member
    edited 18 December 2016, 2:15PM
    stormy said:

Mine it's two years old so is it likely it's going through age? Seems a lot of people have had it like me since the august update surely you view can fix this?
    edited 18 December 2016, 2:57PM
    stormy said:

If jonesh' theory is true, and I clearly see its logic and its merit, then no.

Every update pushes a few more marginal boxes over the edge into hardware failure, from which there is no recovery beyond hardware repair :-(
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,837Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:58PM
    stormy said:

The Next Gen software has given my T1000 a new lease of life in terms of responsiveness, so it may be worth persevering until that is widely rolled out to see if it has any benefit in these recently reported cases.
  • mike astonmike aston Posts: 3Member
    edited 20 December 2016, 6:24PM
    stormy said:

My friend Ted is being driven scatty by his Youview top box he tried to install the latest software all to no avail, it just says "waking up" and then says update has failed and he is back to square one I was just visiting, so do not know any more details I do know he has downloaded the manual and trouble shooting guide any ideas? mike
    edited 21 December 2016, 1:22PM
    stormy said:

"he tried to install the latest software"

The latest software installs automatically when it is made available to the box.

Did his box work before his software install attempt?

Does it work now?
    edited 21 December 2016, 1:23PM
    stormy said:

Get Ted to post here, with details of what box he has, from which ISP, and whether it is subscription, ex-subscription, or retail.

He will be sure of a cordial welcome, and whatever help we can give.
    edited 21 December 2016, 1:22PM
    stormy said:

Hi he was having some issues I think it just went off suddenly and he tried factory reset he is connected to the internet via a smart plug I had some problems with mine I suggested he tries RJ45 instead He has another tv he can use near to the modem to try that I think he said it was 3 years old? he uses talktalk for his content I will get him to contact you via this site its no good 3rd hand is it
    edited 21 December 2016, 2:47PM
    stormy said:

Update Ted has been onto technical support, they say it is a bit old now (3years)????!!! so are sending him a new one today, excellent service at least
2»