[Discussion] Android YouView App software update 10.0.8

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Announcements
Hi all,

Please feel free to discuss the latest Android YouView App software 10.0.8 here.

Comments

• jimbjimb Posts: 1,090Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 8:57PM
    Wow - that's quite a transformation.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Needs a new Video/Audio files permission. For the cloud files?
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,837Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:58PM
    jimb said:

Wow - that's quite a transformation.

Am I missing something? Or are you being facetious? Genuine question based on the total lack of nuance with a written comment like that.  :-)
    Roy1 said:

Needs a new Video/Audio files permission. For the cloud files?

#confused
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    Scrub all that, wrong thread #embarrassed
    But why still the old 'Star Trek' y and not the shiny new font?
    edited 21 December 2016, 8:19PM
    Roy1 said:

Where are you seeing that?
    edited 15 December 2016, 9:15PM
    Roy1 said:

On the icon you tap to open the App.

Why, do you see the new y, as in Phil's avatar above, there?
    Roy1 said:

It's fine on my tablet - the new y.
    edited 15 December 2016, 9:46PM
    Roy1 said:

There's Android and there's Android - I've posted screenshots in the iOS thread.

I see the old logo on my Moto G gen 1 running Android 5.1, and no updates to a later version are available on this phone.

But I get the new y on my Samsung Galaxy Young, and that is running Android 4.1.2
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Posts: 246Member
    Garish, ugly, virtually unreadable, and the scrolling is as smooth as a 2 stroke chainsaw full of sand. Well, you did ask!
    Even on a 10.1 inch tablet the screenshots on the individual station pages are far too small to be useful, even if they didn't have a glowing white arrow stuck on top of them, and the tiny brilliant white text against the bright blue is a sure fire recipe for instant eyestrain, and why are we still stuck with that ridiculous font on the main page? I know the future looked like that in the 1960's, but we've moved on a bit since then.
    My suspicion is that Youview have fired all their designers as a cost-cutting measure and bought one of their kids a box of felt tips instead. I hope so anyway, I hate to think that someone might have got paid for this..... :~)
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:57PM
    Roy1 said:

Hi Roy - Rebooting your Moto G may resolve the issue. Can you give it try and let us know if that works?
    edited 16 December 2016, 9:34PM
    Roy1 said:

Yes, that did the trick. Thanks, Sanj!
    Roy1 said:

Who would have thought, the IT guy with 100 years' experience didn't think to
    turn it off and turn it back on again.  ;-)
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,334Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM

Garish, ugly, virtually unreadable, and the scrolling is as smooth as a 2 stroke chainsaw full of sand. Well, you did ask!
    Even on a 10.1 inch tablet the screenshots on the individual station pages are far too small to be useful, even if they didn't have a glowing white arrow stuck on top of them, and the tiny brilliant white text against the bright blue is a sure fire recipe for instant eyestrain, and why are we still stuck with that ridiculous font on the main page? I know the future looked like that in the 1960's, but we've moved on a bit since then.
    My suspicion is that Youview have fired all their designers as a cost-cutting measure and bought one of their kids a box of felt tips instead. I hope so anyway, I hate to think that someone might have got paid for this..... :~)

Guess your not a fan then? Has your box updated yet?

Nothing much has changed in the visual appearance of the app as far as I can see which would lead your comments now to be any more relevant to the update than they were to previous versions. Perhaps your 10.1 inch tablet of unknown provenance isn't up to the job?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    I have the new Android Youview APP but I am not sure what has changed,  the LOGO you can clearly see has changed, I am sorry to report it does not stand out well like previous BLUE Y but not really that much has changed.  The app is easy to use and a little quicker than previous version, but not much has changed from looking at it on my Android mobile device.  Both versions were good, the new Y not much difference but previous Y stood out more and in my opinion was more appealing and looked smarter, but what we get without a subscription is great and I am pleased with it,  things will change such as Quest App and SKY store but this was due to licensing issues and sky removing the service and was beyond Youview Control, I hope this next Gen software means YOUVIEW will get even better, add a few more apps and services and this box could become a leading award winning box that is easy to use and offers great services without massive subscriptions that SKY, VIRGIN charge.   IF YOUVIEW - YOUSAVE £
    edited 20 December 2016, 8:59AM
    QWERTY said:

I have the new Android Youview APP but I am not sure what has changed,  the LOGO you can clearly see has changed, I am sorry to report it does not stand out well like previous BLUE Y but not really that much has changed.  The app is easy to use and a little quicker than previous version, but not much has changed from looking at it on my Android mobile device.  Both versions were good, the new Y not much difference but previous Y stood out more and in my opinion was more appealing and looked smarter, but what we get without a subscription is great and I am pleased with it,  things will change such as Quest App and SKY store but this was due to licensing issues and sky removing the service and was beyond Youview Control, I hope this next Gen software means YOUVIEW will get even better, add a few more apps and services and this box could become a leading award winning box that is easy to use and offers great services without massive subscriptions that SKY, VIRGIN charge.   IF YOUVIEW - YOUSAVE £

. . . tennis . . . the stones . . . so calm . . . Cunard . . . unfinished . . .
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:25PM

Yeah I know - 1.8ghz octa-core processor, 4gb ram, Nvidia graphics, 1920x1200 screen - pretty pathetic really........ ;~)
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:56PM
    Roy1 said:

That's advice we give.

It's not advice we take :-)
    Roy1 said:

:-)

But no brand name? :-)

On my inferior 10.1inch tablet (only 1.6Ghz and a miserable 2GB of ram) scrolling is impeccable.
    And I have no idea what "glowing white arrow" refers to.
    I have always thought that this is a very good app.
    QWERTY said:

"A post that doesn't send at least somebody off to Wikipedia or Webster's is a lacuna I try to avoid."
    Mission accomplished.
    edited 20 December 2016, 11:06PM
    QWERTY said:

Yes, it might need more than just a Lucky guess :-)
    QWERTY said:

You kept me Waiting for that one.
    edited 21 December 2016, 9:43AM
    QWERTY said:

Good-oh
    edited 21 December 2016, 3:38PM

Well, if you're really into names it's a top-end Umi, imported from Japan as they're not available in this country - just the phones. It's capable of streaming a 4k feed from my drone or recording 16 simultaneous audio tracks at 96k without breaking sweat, but obviously a Youview program guide requires something a bit better :~)

Were you flying your drone and doing a multitrack recording when you tried to scroll the YouView app?
    edited 21 December 2016, 4:24PM

LOL