[Discussion] Sony's Kids Player now available on YouView

2»

Comments

• jimbjimb Posts: 1,090Member ✭✭✭
    edited 11 January 2017, 9:50AM
    jimb said:

It's good to see a new player and on demand content integrated into the EPG both in the past and the future.
    But...

Some time ago I posted an observation regarding inconsistencies with on demand labelling of Grand Designs on  More 4.
    This was met with a deafening silence.

There's a similar problem with "The Insectibles" on POP.
    If you look at the EPG at 8pm you'll see four programmes each evening. Most are showing as available on demand but not all.
    In fact this is a series of 52 programmes but only 42 are available on demand.
    (1-24, 32-41, 45-52)
    So there's something amiss and as I said a year ago:

Not sure if this is a problem for YouView or the broadcaster but it would be good to sort it out (there may be other instances).
    I should have said that I was only comparing ALVINNN! on the POP channel and POP player.
    (I can't see what the situation is on Kix as this is not available in my region.)
    So I still think there's a problem with POP.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 11 January 2017, 11:56AM
    Roy1 said:

Looked on my Sony YouView TV and it has 125 and 126, but no 127.

How are our grandchildren going to get their KIX when they come round?

As you may know, Mike, YouView and Satellite cannot coexist on these Sony YouView TVs.

So we might hope that the App runs on the underlying Android, and is thus also available on the Freeview/Satellite side of these sets as well.

Or I predict an eruption from those on a Sony TV cut off from a Sony App.

And tears before bedtime from their deprived kiddies :-(

Are you able to comment on where the App is intended to be provided on these TVs?
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • scottscott Posts: 1,947Member ✭✭✭
    edited 11 January 2017, 2:28PM
    jimb said:

YouView's press release cleverly says that this is

the first player to launch since the roll out of YouView’s new software update
    implying that the new player is a direct consequence of the update. I'm not sure that this is strictly correct - the player works on first-gen boxes. But YouView have got a lot of good publicity about the player much of it tying it in with the "revamp of its platform last autumn."

One report even refer's back to the next-gen launch:
    YouView CEO Richard Halton said at the time of the launch that “a pipeline of new content partners” would be brought on board over the next few months.
    All good news for YouView.

Yes, I thought there was a lot of work, before the reveal of the whole UI code re-write, to get HTML5 working on the platform anyway. Therefore the people tying this in exactly with the release of the next-gen UI is stretching the truth a little I think.

What would be interesting is knowing if the player runs any faster on the new UI compared to the old UI.

edited 11 January 2017, 4:17PM
    jimb said:

implying that the new player is a direct consequence of the update. I'm not sure that this is strictly correct - the player works on first-gen boxes. But YouView have got a lot of good publicity about the player much of it tying it in with the "revamp of its platform last autumn."

YouView CEO Richard Halton said at the time of the launch that “a pipeline of new content partners” would be brought on board over the next few months.
    All good news for YouView.What would be really interesting is knowing how much work was involved in the replatforming for a NextGen version and a CurrentGen version.

Given the timing of launching a new Player on CurrentGen with it only having 6-9 months left to run, how attractive it would be to have some NextGen-only features of which this Player could have been one, and its simultaneous launch on CurrentGen and NextGen, I might surmise there was not a lot of extra work to get to the 'other' version, whichever Gen had the lead version.

I remember Mike saying a while back that the barriers to new Players and Apps on YouView were far more to do with commercial and financial considerations than technical ones, and this initiative seems to bear that out.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    edited 11 January 2017, 5:59PM
    jimb said:

It's good to see a new player and on demand content integrated into the EPG both in the past and the future.
    But...

Some time ago I posted an observation regarding inconsistencies with on demand labelling of Grand Designs on  More 4.

If you look at the EPG at 8pm you'll see four programmes each evening. Most are showing as available on demand but not all.
    (1-24, 32-41, 45-52)

Not sure if this is a problem for YouView or the broadcaster but it would be good to sort it out (there may be other instances).
    Hi guys,

I've queried with our team as to why ALVINNN! is split between channels and how this impacts playback through the player. I will let you know when I have some more feedback on this one.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    edited 11 January 2017, 5:58PM
    jimb said:

But...

(1-24, 32-41, 45-52)

Hi guys,

I've queried with our team as to why ALVINNN! is split between channels and how this impacts playback through the player. I will let you know when I have some more feedback on this one.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,334Member ✭✭✭
    edited 11 January 2017, 11:14PM
    jimb said:

All good news for YouView.''How attractive it would be to have some NextGen-only features of which this Player could have been one.''
    Thats really never going to happen as that would create a two tier system and have Current Gen users up in arms. 
    ''I might surmise there was not a lot of extra work to get to the 'other' version.''
    And you would be correct.
    This hasn't been widely advertised but current gen has been using the Cloud for about two years now and HTML5 not much less than that. The upshot of this is that any new players and apps will be fully interoperable and backwards compatible with both versions by nature.
    edited 11 January 2017, 11:17PM
    jimb said:

All good news for YouView.Are you allowed to say that, Visionman?
    edited 11 January 2017, 11:31PM
    jimb said:

All good news for YouView.LOL
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,090Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 8:57PM
    Simplestream reveals how it powers new Sony Kids Catch-up YouView service.
    http://www.a516digital.com/2017/01/si...
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Simplestream? I wondered what had happened to them, as when they launched and shortly after, they'd been taken over a number of times. Looks like they've been busy too. They now power -
    A+E Networks
    QVC & TJC
    EE TV
    At the Races & Racing UK
    News Corp & Sky Bet
    UBC & R (religious channels)
    H&C (equestrianism and British country lifestyle)
    The Food Network
    Gfinity (Youtube & Twitch)
    The BOX (music channels)
    The Craft Channel
    MP & Silva (sports rights distribution)
    Sony 
    Box Nation
    UKTV

They are a Cloud based service that is highly scalable, which currently delivers both on demand and live linear channels via unicast IP, Satellite, cable, PC, laptop and mobile devices. 
    http://www.simplestream.com/

EDIT - and this too - TVPlayer, funded by A+E networks
    http://advanced-television.com/2016/10/03/ae-networks-leads-5m-tvplayer-funding/

The TVPlayer is a bit of a shot in the dark and its 1m user base is/are largely legacy users. But its still a good option for those that don't wish to invest in the cost of a box.
    edited 24 January 2017, 10:04AM
    Visionman said:

Simplestream? I wondered what had happened to them, as when they launched and shortly after, they'd been taken over a number of times. Looks like they've been busy too. They now power -
    A+E Networks
    QVC & TJC
    EE TV
    At the Races & Racing UK
    News Corp & Sky Bet
    UBC & R (religious channels)
    H&C (equestrianism and British country lifestyle)
    The Food Network
    Gfinity (Youtube & Twitch)
    The BOX (music channels)
    The Craft Channel
    MP & Silva (sports rights distribution)
    Sony 
    Box Nation
    UKTV

They are a Cloud based service that is highly scalable, which currently delivers both on demand and live linear channels via unicast IP, Satellite, cable, PC, laptop and mobile devices. 
    http://www.simplestream.com/

EDIT - and this too - TVPlayer, funded by A+E networks
    http://advanced-television.com/2016/10/03/ae-networks-leads-5m-tvplayer-funding/

The TVPlayer is a bit of a shot in the dark and its 1m user base is/are largely legacy users. But its still a good option for those that don't wish to invest in the cost of a box.

Despite the information in the link you kindly provided, I can find TVPlayer only on my Amazon FireTV devices; it is not on my AppleTV, nor on my 2016 Samsung Smart TV.

I do not know why this discrepancy exists.

But in the absence of a TV aerial, or at least of one that can pull in UK TV broadcasting, TVPlayer on a FireTV device offers the most seamless approximation to Freeview (the major channels at least) obtainable.

The alternatives are FilmOn (not on these platforms either, but can be cast from a tablet or phone) or hopping from Player to Player depending on the channel required, and bearing in mind that All4 on FireTV does not offer live channels. Though at least it now does play the whole of on-Demand programmes, which I have previously reported that it didn't.

So, more power to TVPlayer's elbow; we may be legacy users, but who does not hope for an unexpected legacy? :-)
2»