[Discussion] Welcome to Next Generation YouView- TalkTalk Software Update 60.43.106 / 72.43.106

Comments

• jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 January 2017, 11:59AM
    jim1 said:

What I have noticed in this thread is reasonably / very tech savvy people talking about the new interface. However, we live in a country with an aging population. I am thinking about the older friends I have, and even my wife. After 3 years of youview, 10 years of humax boxes, my wife still regularly presses close rather than back. More key presses means more potential for errors. We gave up on BT TV after a bit over a year having found little to watch worth a subscription. She hates the Amazon interface which has thumbnails and so little text that you have to guess which series is which., but it is the cheapest way to follow US series that 5 USA brought to us then abandoned. Netflix lasted barely 2 months. Would someone from youview be prepared to come and explain to her that I did not choose the new picture driven interface? My older friends I have to support when they get into a pickle between the TV and the freeview box. I have a fair idea of their likely reactions were they to get something like this. I am just grateful they didn't succumb to the youview adverts.

This 'update' appears aimed at the young technically savvy. It certainly seems aimed at leveraging more spend out of viewers rather than merely presenting what they want to watch well. (from what I've read it seems to present pay to view or subscription channel programmes as recommended or popular)

I can see us going back to the old freeview box. I'll certainly be investigating what the current freeview interface is like, and likely leaving youview when this hits BT boxes. Or swearing at the box more often.

Visionman, I'd just like to respond to one of your earlier comments.

You made a comparison between redchiz and me - "You, on the other hand, are a seasoned poster on here who should know better."

Just because you perceive me as a relative newcomer to the forum is based only on when I started posting - you have no insight as to how long before that I was simply following discussions but chose not to engage with them.

And I seem to recall that you were an active member of this forum for a considerable time before you actually bought a box. I can assure you that I've been an actual user of YouView for much longer than you have.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭
    edited 15 January 2017, 5:45PM
    jim1 said:

What I have noticed in this thread is reasonably / very tech savvy people talking about the new interface. However, we live in a country with an aging population. I am thinking about the older friends I have, and even my wife. After 3 years of youview, 10 years of humax boxes, my wife still regularly presses close rather than back. More key presses means more potential for errors. We gave up on BT TV after a bit over a year having found little to watch worth a subscription. She hates the Amazon interface which has thumbnails and so little text that you have to guess which series is which., but it is the cheapest way to follow US series that 5 USA brought to us then abandoned. Netflix lasted barely 2 months. Would someone from youview be prepared to come and explain to her that I did not choose the new picture driven interface? My older friends I have to support when they get into a pickle between the TV and the freeview box. I have a fair idea of their likely reactions were they to get something like this. I am just grateful they didn't succumb to the youview adverts.

This 'update' appears aimed at the young technically savvy. It certainly seems aimed at leveraging more spend out of viewers rather than merely presenting what they want to watch well. (from what I've read it seems to present pay to view or subscription channel programmes as recommended or popular)

I can see us going back to the old freeview box. I'll certainly be investigating what the current freeview interface is like, and likely leaving youview when this hits BT boxes. Or swearing at the box more often.

You are fully entitled to your opinion and so am I. And its an opinion I'm not going to change.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 15 January 2017, 6:02PM
    jim1 said:

Roy>
    ''Braking Bad? I thought Clarkson et al's new series was called The Grand Tour?''

All good things come to those who wait. And that too is a personal opinion. If fact I regard Prime being on here as a knocking bet.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭
    edited 15 January 2017, 6:17PM
    jim1 said:

Braking News? Just spotted Roy's joke, quite broke my achy-braky heart.
  • SDM242SDM242 Member Posts: 3
    edited 28 May 2017, 9:17PM

Awful update. All pictures and v. little text. Slower to navigate. For example, in MyView instead of rows of text about each recording we have a giant thumbnail and about 3 rows and 5 columns of small thumbnails (by which I mean little pictures). Each thumbnail contains much less information than the row of text it replaced and it's slower to navigate between the pictures than the old rows of text. And why is the first thumbnail of each page larger than all the others? ridiculous.

If you've recorded more than a page worth it takes 3 button clicks to scroll down to page 2; it used to be 1 button click to scroll to the right. And why move next page to below rather than to the right? Yet another unnecessary change to learn.

Series records used to be better. Now when I choose a series I get a row of 5 identical episodes because the pretty pictures are identical and the truncated line of texts are identical so I can't quickly choose which episode to scroll to. E.g. "New: Detectorists". Before I would know the date, the channel and I think the time of day, can't remember. Now I can't quickly see which is oldest and which is newest. Plus 5 isn't enough. You've replaced about 10 rows (or was it more?) of episodes with 5 columns of useless pretty pictures.

After watching something on the last page I have to scroll all the way back  up through every page  to the first page instead of scrolling directly past last page to get to start.

Deleting watched programmes is now a chore. Now when I press stop after watching an episode of a series record I'm dropped out of the whole series. To delete that episode I have to navigate back into the series, remember which one I watched (don't forget, they all look the same now), scroll to it and delete it.

Guide
    -------
    It's less obvious which programme you've selected, light blue v dark blue once you've chosen your channel row.

Navigation is similar thank goodness, except one inexplicable change. If you scroll up from the top row to the previous (say channel 10 to channel 9) it works, but also scrolls the whole screen to show channel 8 at the top. You can never get back to your selected channel also being the top channel on the screen. This is an irritating change rather than crucial I admit.

Like MyView, you can no longer scroll beyond the last channel directly to the first. I know you can just type 1 and get there but why remove that function? More change for it's own sake. Do you actually believe all that marketing nonsense that new means fresher and better?

I may be wrong about this but before when you highlighted a programme it's start time was displayed somewhere on the screen. Now you only surmise the start time if you can physically see it or if you scroll back in time to it's beginning. Naff.

Summary
    ------------
    I could go on but I've only used it for 3 days. My overall impression is that you have gone for image at the expense of substance. It looks more suited to a touchscreen than to a keyboard based input.
    I'm a software developer of over 20 years so I'm old school. The cynic in me suspects you've allowed bearded, twenty-something 'hipsters' to design this and they can't think beyond thumb swipes and touch screens. It's a telly, not a smart phone you [delete the very rude adjectives] muppets!!

I saw the update first time this morning and was ready to throw the box out of the window.  Updates are supposed to make things easier to use not harder!

I really hope an option to have text listings instead of thumbnails will happen soon.
  • Steve25Steve25 Member Posts: 1
    edited 19 March 2017, 6:29PM
    I really don't like the latest software update and it appears you can't elect to switch back to the old software. If this format is here to stay surely it should be more customisable . The worst elements seem to be MyTv which is far easier to navigate as a list rather than having a screen of what i consider to be pointless images. We also miss the small tv screen in the corner so that you can continue to watch the  tv channel selected whilst you navigate your recordings or the Tv guide. I understand that this is a work in progress but it would have been nice to elect whether to upgrade to this latest software or remain as was. We love the Youview service and just hope this new software will evolve.
  • Kevin PughKevin Pugh Member Posts: 15
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    If its open source then I for one whould happily look at upgrading the old code  ....
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,280 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 January 2017, 3:40PM

If its open source then I for one whould happily look at upgrading the old code  ....

Do not mistake there being open source code in the distribution for the distribution being open source.

This is not Topfield you are dealing with here :-(

But of course, if you did have all the source, and could do what you promise, it might make YouView wonder why they need all those teams of developers :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • DavidBDavidB Member Posts: 69
    edited 19 March 2017, 6:29PM
    Steve25 said:

I really don't like the latest software update and it appears you can't elect to switch back to the old software. If this format is here to stay surely it should be more customisable . The worst elements seem to be MyTv which is far easier to navigate as a list rather than having a screen of what i consider to be pointless images. We also miss the small tv screen in the corner so that you can continue to watch the  tv channel selected whilst you navigate your recordings or the Tv guide. I understand that this is a work in progress but it would have been nice to elect whether to upgrade to this latest software or remain as was. We love the Youview service and just hope this new software will evolve.

Well said, keep chipping away, this is a beta issue and comments like this, give the developers feedback, so that they can er develope (improve) it. 
  • bradavonbradavon Member Posts: 93
    edited 19 March 2017, 10:46PM
    Hi,

I have a retail box so can't help but my Mum's TalkTalk box was updated the other day and she's convinced to load something from iPlayer now you must go through the app directly.

She said you can still Search but can't load the programme from here. This sounds wrong to me.

Once you've found what you want from search with the next generation software what do you tap to load the programme?

Thanks
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 January 2017, 11:11PM
    bradavon said:

Hi,

I have a retail box so can't help but my Mum's TalkTalk box was updated the other day and she's convinced to load something from iPlayer now you must go through the app directly.

She said you can still Search but can't load the programme from here. This sounds wrong to me.

Once you've found what you want from search with the next generation software what do you tap to load the programme?

Thanks

Just press OK like always
    edited 25 January 2017, 11:13PM
    bradavon said:

Hi,

Thanks

Thanks Stephen. I presume the OK button is easy to see? You mean press OK when you've found what you want to load right and it'll load?
    edited 25 January 2017, 11:22PM
    bradavon said:

Hi,

Thanks

There's no OK button on the old generation. Upon tap on the appropriate thumbnail?
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 January 2017, 11:26PM
    bradavon said:

Hi,

Thanks

Ah no, I mean on the remote - so highlight what you want and then press the ok button in the middle of the directional buttons, exactly as per first-gen software
    edited 25 January 2017, 11:30PM
    bradavon said:

Hi,

Thanks

Perfect thanks Stephen. I can't see what she's seeing so I wanted to be sure to what to tell her. I thought it was crazy. What's the point in search if you can't then load something?
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    An interesting comment from the Digital Spy forum posted yesterday...
    I received an email from TalkTalk on the 12/1/17 informing me that my box would get the new U/I within the next 10 days.
    On the 20th Jan 17 I received another email from TalkTalk informing me that they sent the previous email too soon! and I wouldn't now be getting the update within 10 days.
    But rest assured I was at the front of the queue for when its ready to roll out .
    As of today still no update...
    Perhaps TalkTalk have paused their rollout.
    edited 30 January 2017, 12:50PM
    jimb said:

I received an email from TalkTalk on the 12/1/17 informing me that my box would get the new U/I within the next 10 days.
    On the 20th Jan 17 I received another email from TalkTalk informing me that they sent the previous email too soon! and I wouldn't now be getting the update within 10 days.
    But rest assured I was at the front of the queue for when its ready to roll out .
    Perhaps TalkTalk have paused their rollout.Verrry interesting.....
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 30 January 2017, 1:09PM
    jimb said:

Perhaps TalkTalk have paused their rollout.Huawei YouViews have been having a few problems, Roy. Which can all be read about on the TT Forum. But the latest (new) one is that after pressing a function, the boxes can just hang.
    edited 30 January 2017, 1:14PM
    jimb said:

Perhaps TalkTalk have paused their rollout.Obviously, this new release is taking TT Closer To The Edge :-)
  • Kevin PughKevin Pugh Member Posts: 15
    edited 30 January 2017, 4:32PM
    jimb said:

Perhaps TalkTalk have paused their rollout.Talktalk have changed to location/channels for sky sports which means that to get them back i have enable all the channels, but cannot hide the ones that would confuse those with dementia ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it ...
    edited 30 January 2017, 5:24PM
    jimb said:

Perhaps TalkTalk have paused their rollout.Kevin, if you are prepared to throw money at this problem you might like to consider buying a BT box - approximately £60 from a well known auction site.
    This will continue to use the first generation software until BT release an update (even though you're with TalkTalk).
    I suspect that BT will not do this until most of the key problems with the new software have been resolved (including the channel hiding issue).
    It's worth noting that the remote controls are different.
    edited 30 January 2017, 5:28PM
    jimb said:

Perhaps TalkTalk have paused their rollout.Bit of an extreme and optimistic solution there, jimb?
    edited 30 January 2017, 5:33PM
    jimb said:

Perhaps TalkTalk have paused their rollout.I suppose so :-)
    I guess I'm used to this as I've bought several BT boxes as the TalkTalk ones have been so awful.
    edited 30 January 2017, 5:36PM
    jimb said:

Perhaps TalkTalk have paused their rollout.I am not in a position to argue one way or the other as my TalkTalk box has never been out of its, um, box, I have stuck with my mostly trusty, occasionally recalcitrant T1000 of trials vintage.  :-)
  • Andy GreenwoodAndy Greenwood Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 March 2017, 8:57PM
    Hi,
       I got a youview freeview box about a year ago, given 'free' following a complaint about the very poor bb we have...the complaint was that rewind/catchup etc tv was unwatchable as the box buffered longwerthan it played - hours and hours of stuttering 'video'. Almost a joke - here's a free freeview record box for a service that does not work. Complained again was 'given' a free sim card with first £5 free some freee texts and calls only to find a few weeks later everyone got one who wanted one so not a free gift just an earlier access to a card anyone can have..!
    Have now had, without asking me, an upgrade or change to the epg on the box. I cannot remove or hide a channel. I used to have a little screen, top right showing current programme whilst i scrolled up and down in epg...that's gone too. Both of these changes are not improvements. REPEAT THIS IS NOT AN IMPROVEMENT TO MY VIEWING.
    I actually believe that by making you have all the advertising and selling channels like QVC etc talkttalk are placating sponsors - you have to have the channels trying to sell you stuff or they withdraw their use altogether.
    Can we please have the facility to hide channels, can we please have the little screen back and can I please have a better landlins than the one which I have sufferd with since the days of tiscali - it runs for two miles overland to an exchange box because that's where the very first land line went. I can SEE the nearest box joyfully labelled BT Superfast Fibre BB is here but am not ever to be connected to it until the tow miles of **** cable collapse into the woodland they pass thru and are not repaired. The alst engineer from TALKTALK suggestes I shoot at it daily with an air rifle until it is irrepairable. Any call to TT results in the line being tested and found 'sound' but only holding dload speeds of 2mbs - they test it every year...! (20 years so far) and the poor bb reward of a tv box/upgrade now has an epg that does not do what it did. There's no point in changing to another bb provider no one will change the line. ANY IDEAS OUT THERE!?
    edited 1 February 2017, 12:23AM

Hi,
       I got a youview freeview box about a year ago, given 'free' following a complaint about the very poor bb we have...the complaint was that rewind/catchup etc tv was unwatchable as the box buffered longwerthan it played - hours and hours of stuttering 'video'. Almost a joke - here's a free freeview record box for a service that does not work. Complained again was 'given' a free sim card with first £5 free some freee texts and calls only to find a few weeks later everyone got one who wanted one so not a free gift just an earlier access to a card anyone can have..!
    Have now had, without asking me, an upgrade or change to the epg on the box. I cannot remove or hide a channel. I used to have a little screen, top right showing current programme whilst i scrolled up and down in epg...that's gone too. Both of these changes are not improvements. REPEAT THIS IS NOT AN IMPROVEMENT TO MY VIEWING.
    I actually believe that by making you have all the advertising and selling channels like QVC etc talkttalk are placating sponsors - you have to have the channels trying to sell you stuff or they withdraw their use altogether.
    Can we please have the facility to hide channels, can we please have the little screen back and can I please have a better landlins than the one which I have sufferd with since the days of tiscali - it runs for two miles overland to an exchange box because that's where the very first land line went. I can SEE the nearest box joyfully labelled BT Superfast Fibre BB is here but am not ever to be connected to it until the tow miles of **** cable collapse into the woodland they pass thru and are not repaired. The alst engineer from TALKTALK suggestes I shoot at it daily with an air rifle until it is irrepairable. Any call to TT results in the line being tested and found 'sound' but only holding dload speeds of 2mbs - they test it every year...! (20 years so far) and the poor bb reward of a tv box/upgrade now has an epg that does not do what it did. There's no point in changing to another bb provider no one will change the line. ANY IDEAS OUT THERE!?

Invest in the air rifle :-)
    edited 31 January 2017, 8:38PM

Hi,

Hi Andy, I am honestly not sure what you mean. So you had a service that didn't work and now it's changed to a service that doesn't work with a new look?
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 31 January 2017, 8:57PM

Hi,

I presume Andy is able to use the Youview box to view and record Freeview irrespective of the low broadband speed - so he will experience the channel management and the recordings management features of Next Gen Youview
    edited 31 January 2017, 10:28PM
    jimb said:

Perhaps TalkTalk have paused their rollout.I know a masochist who likes to take a cold shower every morning. So he takes a warm one :-)
    edited 31 January 2017, 11:12PM

Hi,

No doubt he does. But if Andy has been supplied a box that doesn't fully work and never has, then the service he gets isn't fit for purpose and he can get can get a full refund from day 1 his contract started. Even problems with Catch Up? Heck, that must be a low speed.