[Discussion] Humax software update 27.45.0

Comments

• northernnorthern Member Posts: 241
    edited 17 May 2017, 10:08PM

The MyTV page is dreadful! really really awful.

The list of recordings which had most recent at the top, descending to oldest has been replaced with a grid of thumbnails - why? Why show a screengrab of something I haven't seen and then not have enough space to show the title of the recording? Why a grid? it makes no sense, what was wrong with a list

So a recording like "The royal house of windsor" on Channel 4, now appears as "The royal hou....."

Please, let us go back to a list

Totally agree, time spent on these thumbnails would have been far better spent on introducing more of the wished for items from Keiths list. These thumbnails are a complete waste of time and certainly not user friendly
  • SimesSimes Member Posts: 4
    edited 17 May 2017, 10:09PM
    Well, you said you wanted to hear what we thought, so I have created an account specifically.

Not a fan.

- The mess of tiles that shows me the programmes I have recorded is not an intuitive list, nor is it sorted in date order. Navigating this list is a mess.

- Once I have finished watching a programme I have recorded, both the 'Back' and 'Stop' buttons take me back too many screens, to the main menu. This means that in order to delete the programme I have just watched, I have to navigate my way forward again to it. This is a lengthy process, made even more laborious by the fact that the view defaults to the newest programme first. If I have a lot of episodes backed up, I find myself having to scroll leftwards through ALL of these individually (sometimes 20+) in order to delete the programme I have literally just stopped and finished watching.

- When viewing an individual programme from one of a series of programmes of the same show, going to that list automatically defaults to the newest programme, forcing me to scroll leftwards through ALL of them individually (again, sometimes 20+) to watch the first-aired show. I cannot think of any situation where you would want to watch a series in reverse chronological order. The user-friendly default view (i.e. that which requires fewest clicks) should automatically be the oldest programme.

Please offer the option of returning to a list view as soon as possible.
  • SomersetBobSomersetBob Member Posts: 212 ✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 2:22PM

The list of recordings which had most recent at the top, descending to oldest has been replaced with a grid of thumbnails - why? Why show a screengrab of something I haven't seen and then not have enough space to show the title of the recording? Why a grid? it makes no sense, what was wrong with a list

So a recording like "The royal house of windsor" on Channel 4, now appears as "The royal hou....."

If you move onto the tile it will give you more details.
    edited 14 March 2017, 7:39PM
    Simes said:

Well, you said you wanted to hear what we thought, so I have created an account specifically.

Not a fan.

- The mess of tiles that shows me the programmes I have recorded is not an intuitive list, nor is it sorted in date order. Navigating this list is a mess.

- Once I have finished watching a programme I have recorded, both the 'Back' and 'Stop' buttons take me back too many screens, to the main menu. This means that in order to delete the programme I have just watched, I have to navigate my way forward again to it. This is a lengthy process, made even more laborious by the fact that the view defaults to the newest programme first. If I have a lot of episodes backed up, I find myself having to scroll leftwards through ALL of these individually (sometimes 20+) in order to delete the programme I have literally just stopped and finished watching.

- When viewing an individual programme from one of a series of programmes of the same show, going to that list automatically defaults to the newest programme, forcing me to scroll leftwards through ALL of them individually (again, sometimes 20+) to watch the first-aired show. I cannot think of any situation where you would want to watch a series in reverse chronological order. The user-friendly default view (i.e. that which requires fewest clicks) should automatically be the oldest programme.

The navigation back  to the episode you have just watched has been requested during the Beta and I am lead to believe is in the works. 
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 April 2017, 3:51AM
    Simes said:

Not a fan.

All these points have been raised (it has also been hinted a list view is in the works). Although the recordings should be in date order working from left to right down each row.

the 3 main points were always :-

The MY TV section navigating is a mess and people don't like being forced to have icons and no list choice.

The transparent is not a substitute for the mini tv.

The channel hiding being absent.

Along with this there were many other points, no jump to time, no ability to change the channels on the guide mini tiles (SD only), no discover section, etc etc all covered by Keith's post.

We were hoping these top three points might get addressed before the BT/Retail launch but alas not the case and I bet we see multiple rants about this...

• andrew.optomandrew.optom Member Posts: 1
    edited 19 March 2017, 2:04PM

Over all, I am very happy with this update! Just wish, we could still remove channels! My EPG is fast filling up with channels, I don't watch or IP channels from BT, that I can't watch. Since I don't have BT TV.

Please take notice youview.... IMO Hide channels feature is REALLY important. Or even better if we can have the facility to ORDER CHANNELS. Otherwise the whole epg experience is a laborious scrolling just to find which channel you want to watch. We all have HD Tvs nowadays so I would hope it defaults to BBC1HD, BBC2HD, ITVHD, CH4HD, CH5 HD. Otherwise other people in my family are likely to select ITV in SD!! just because it is ordered number 3. Apart from this omission, I quite like the new interface. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February 2017, 5:58PM
    Daniel4 said:

I'm totally disgusted by this customers who pay a ISP a monthly sub should ALWAYS get updates first always. Retail box should be at the back of the queue because they don't pay for a premium service. Beyond a joke really this has left me annoyed BT should have had it before retail but yet I'm stuck waiting. I am only a paying customer no need to rush says with sarcasm.

Daniel - surely people who have shelled out full whack for the box instead of getting it on the ISP-subsidised never-never should get the update first?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 23 February 2017, 3:52PM

I can see where cutoff titles ending in Saturday could be unfortunate :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 4:02PM
    Daniel4 said:

I'm totally disgusted by this customers who pay a ISP a monthly sub should ALWAYS get updates first always. Retail box should be at the back of the queue because they don't pay for a premium service. Beyond a joke really this has left me annoyed BT should have had it before retail but yet I'm stuck waiting. I am only a paying customer no need to rush says with sarcasm.

I pay 140 quid a month to BT so my subs after even a month or two is what you will have paid for the box then nothing else afterwards I pay a hell of a lot of money and ISP customers should have the update first it's bang out of order to expect otherwise. Retail customers pay nowhere near what I do subsidised box or not and its disgusting we are left waiting.
    edited 24 February 2017, 7:17AM
    Simes said:

Not a fan.

A particular problem with the Series recordings handling is that the detailed episodes screen has been implemented in the 'Info' function. Try pressing the i button instead of OK on a tile that leads to multiple recordings to see this for yourself.

So the essentially passive 'info' functionality has been gifted the task of providing the UI for handling multiple episodes, and of course, it's not remotely up to the job of handling this highly active, and interactive, task.

Expect this one to take a while to fix, either because it has to be completely redone, properly, or because there will be a series of misfires as YouView try to overload the info coding with the needed functionality here.
    edited 23 February 2017, 4:09PM
    Daniel4 said:

I don't think the £140 is solely for BT TV and everybody else is paying an ISP something if they're using the box as intended.
    Be careful what you wish for as they say.
  • Alan SutherlandAlan Sutherland Member Posts: 7
    edited 3 April 2017, 11:04PM

It's even worse when the title is "New:"
  • Neil TurnbullNeil Turnbull Member Posts: 2
    edited 17 May 2017, 10:10PM
    How do I revert to the previous version of software? I hate the icon view for recordings and it's a pain how you have to delete a programme you've just watched now. This update is not intuitive - why is there not a choice about whether you want to update or not. Not happy!
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    You can't once you have it your stuck with it.
  • Adrian1Adrian1 Member Posts: 22
    edited 23 February 2017, 6:25PM
    I've had the TalkTalk update since before Christmas. I generally like it/got used to it. I do miss the mini screen on the menus. The guide bugs me! Why is there such a big gap on the left hand side? No need for it! The one feature I miss the most is the 'more episodes' on demand feature when you go into info, I used that a lot! Hope that returns.

One feature I wish for is a better/improved reminder service so I can set reminders and a list is made that links to the relevant on demand player, it would be very useful on plus and none plus boxes. I get so frustrated when I have a recording clash and I have more things I want to watch but cant record. 
  • Michael IvesMichael Ives Member Posts: 2
    edited 23 February 2017, 6:47PM

Oh and another thing! Why does my box how have the BT TV logo on it? When it's a retail box! Never had BT TV in my life! Also it's showing the BT Player, anyway to remove this?

My box has talktalk tv even though ihave a retail box .
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 6:52PM

Oh and another thing! Why does my box how have the BT TV logo on it? When it's a retail box! Never had BT TV in my life! Also it's showing the BT Player, anyway to remove this?

That will be because your ISP is TalkTalk I imagine.
  • Michael IvesMichael Ives Member Posts: 2
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    Will a factory reset remove the horrendous update .
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 March 2017, 7:52PM
    This is going well, isn't it?  :-(
    edited 23 February 2017, 7:23PM

Will a factory reset remove the horrendous update .

Nope your stuck with it. There is no way you can revert back
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 7:42PM
    redchiz said:

This is going well, isn't it?  :-(

:-)
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 March 2017, 6:57PM
    Its unfortunately as expected...  
    I've had a pop around the internet and there are quite a few other forum users reading this thread, noting the various reactions ranging from 'I've had it for months and its OK'  to the  'ARRRGH!! My world has caved in! PUT IT BACK!!!'.
    Strangely though, there have been no comments on other forums about it, only this one.
    I wonder if bob got sorted? 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Joanne KeillJoanne Keill Member Posts: 4
    edited 14 April 2017, 4:09PM
    jimb said:

Sanj could you please tell us if there is any significant functional difference between this release and the TalkTalk release?

Absolutely hate the new MyTV layout - not user friendly at all. Is the upgrade reversible
    edited 5 April 2017, 11:21PM
    bob3 said:

Wish I hadn't got it. It's a poor experience. It's made my humax DTR t2000 slightly laggy - there's no way it will be a good experience on older hardware. How many clicks to watch a recording!!! And then you get a jumbled matrix of tiles. Can we have a list view option.

Genuinely slightly gutted by this update.

List view on MyTV is so much better. The upgrade layout is dreadful
    edited 17 May 2017, 10:07PM

Just to say that my initial impressions are:
    1) Yes it is faster. Not that I had a problem before but my T2000 whizzes along now
    2) The visual display of recorded programmes is frustrating. I have an idea of the images when I decide to record a programme. I don't want any photo spoilers of what's in the programme. And I want to be able to find a programme I've recorded swiftly, either by date or name.
    3) Generally the swap around of menu arrangements between vertical, horizontal or grid is a bit confusing but I'm sure I'll get used to it. They just seem a bit pointless in some cases and confusing in one (the scheduled recordings list).

Totally agree with your comments for the recorded programmes - the new layout is diabolical
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 11:00AM
    Speaking as a trialist, and someone who has been using next Gen (retail) for a while, my first feeling when encountering the new layout was in general positive. However I did have big doubts about the new Mytv layout. It was too much information organised in a way that was unfamiliar. Gradually over the period of about a week my opinion changed. As I became more familiar with reading a visual shorthand, it became increasingly easier & more comfortable to navigate. Quickly I came to realise the order in which recordings were laid out ( left to right, top to bottom), and the information became easy to take in at a glance. I now much prefer it to the previous list view, finding it a richer experience.
    So for me at least, I've gone from not liking mytv, to feeling enthusiastic about it.

Like others have mentioned there are still a few creases to iron out. I still feel that the text should scroll on the tiles, folders need much better navigation options to be able to watch a series in sequential order, remembering last watched etc, Seasons need to added to long running series folders, & back route from a series recording needs sorting. .But Youview have said at least some of these features are coming. So all in all despite the missing bits I feel very positive about next gen.
  • edited 17 May 2017, 10:13PM
    please bring a list view back on the mytv page.... its awful! too much info bombarding you visually....
  • gsvalentinegsvalentine Member Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited 27 February 2017, 1:52PM

Yes I am indeed with BT Internet, but would be nice if we had a option to turn off the BT Player and IP channels. Since, I will never get pay TV! The BBC, Channel 4, and Channel 5, gives me all the TV, I need!

Yes I missed off itv from that list! Since they next to never show anything, I would watch!
  • gsvalentinegsvalentine Member Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited 24 February 2017, 12:17AM

This is not really a but. But asked so many times for this... I get BBC Nottingham, BBC Leicester and BBC Lincolnshire on my EPG! Which is great! But would be nice, if these channels also had logos in the EPG, like all the other ones do. Not just the channel name.

Even if just just used the same BBC Local radio image for all the BBC local stations, I would be more than happy.
  • Sue LeightonSue Leighton Member Posts: 24
    edited 14 April 2017, 4:09PM
    jimb said:

Sanj could you please tell us if there is any significant functional difference between this release and the TalkTalk release?

I agree I hate it too. I would like to go back to the listing of recordings instead of a screen full of ridiculous pictures.