Does not boot up.

David MoraleeDavid Moralee Member Posts: 26
edited 9 August 2017, 8:07AM in Support
dtr t2100 not starting up. it buzzes then trys to start then goes to bt screen shot. shuts down buzzes and goes around in a loop. I think its knackered. it has no warranty and im not with the supplier any more who provided it. it buzzes then goes to screen. nearly ready. then bt screen then crashesimage

The light goes blue whilst it says nearly ready. The bt screen appears. As above. The freezes the blue light turns red then starts to buzz in a pattern 5or 6 buzzes then a higher pitch noise thena dull noise .

Comments

• SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Hi David, sorry to hear you're having this issue. That buzzing sound might be the sound of the hard drive spinning. Either way, it does sound like the boot sequence is functioning correctly.

There aren't many steps you can try at this point, but lets see what we can do.

First, try a 'soft' reboot. Turn the box on, then press & hold the standby button on the box for 8 seconds, the box will the reset itself.

If this doesn't work, then you'll need to try a Maintenance Mode reset. Try the option that keeps recordings first (option 2). If this doesn't resolve the issue, then try another Maintenance Mode reset but this time you may need to try the option that deletes your recordings (option 3).
  • David MoraleeDavid Moralee Member Posts: 26
    edited 3 March 2017, 12:37PM
    Thank you. I will have a look shortly. I am working at the moment so will look at lunch time.
    edited 3 March 2017, 12:44PM
    Thank you Stephan as well. . I got the box through bt but the contract has been cancelled. So no support there. Just been using it as a posh vcr.
    edited 3 March 2017, 2:52PM
    Ok. I am in maintenance mode i have chosen to repair using Internet.
    edited 3 March 2017, 2:53PM
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Now i have tried software recommended
    edited 3 March 2017, 2:55PM
    Still making same noise
    edited 3 March 2017, 2:56PM

Hi David, Best option is option 2 first.

Then failing that try option 3 (this is the one that would delete all recordings also)
    edited 3 March 2017, 3:08PM
    edited 3 March 2017, 3:09PM
    That flashes up in 1 second and that was with option 3
    edited 3 March 2017, 3:09PM
    Now trying the last option
    edited 3 March 2017, 3:10PM
    edited 3 March 2017, 3:11PM
    Ok. I have tried all options in maintenance mode and still no luck. Any other ideas
    edited 3 March 2017, 3:15PM

Ok. Tried those and still dosnt work.
    edited 19 March 2017, 10:46PM
    Some one said about replacing hard drive is that quiet easy to do.
    edited 3 March 2017, 3:18PM

From what we've seen, it requires a technical know how. This isn't something that we officially support David, any attempt to do this is at your own risk.

It looks like Maintenance Mode was progressing. What happened after that?
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 March 2017, 3:29PM

So that was my post in the other thread. It's relatively simple, although I'd encourage you to actually verify it's the drive being the problem before splashing out for another drive and finding out that it's some other component instead.

Obviously opening the box and changing the drive invalidates your warranty, and isn't something we officially support either, as Sanj says, but as you've mentioned you're out of warranty it looks like changing components might be your last option.
    edited 3 March 2017, 3:29PM

Just says it failed
    edited 3 March 2017, 3:31PM

Do you up cycle your products or have reconditioned boxs
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 March 2017, 3:36PM

You won't be able to get the box to tell you what's wrong as-is, you'd need to take out the drive and plug it into a computer either directly or via a usb-to-sata adapter and see whether you can read the partition table, the data on the ext partitions (you may need a number of extra programs to do this), and maybe do a full drive scan.

If you aren't familiar with these kinds of procedures I'd recommend asking a techy friend, or a computer repair shop, although at that point the cost of them looking at it and getting a new drive might get near the cost of a new box (which would of course come with a warranty).
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    I used to have the same box and I'm pretty sure it sounds like it was the same problem. I tried a new disc and it made no difference. It got retired.
    edited 3 March 2017, 5:55PM
    I was hoping nobody was going to say that. Lol.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 March 2017, 5:14PM

How old is the box, David?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 3 March 2017, 5:55PM

We think 3 years old
  • MattManMattMan Member Posts: 277
    edited 17 July 2017, 11:31AM
    Hi David, When did it start to go wrong as I had an retail box that would not start up every time and playing back programmes it would look all block then stop. I look at replacing the hard drive but the cost of a new drive was about half the cost of a new box and just in case something else was wrong I thought it was best to buy a new box.
    edited 3 March 2017, 7:54PM
    2 nights ago. Just gave up in middle of the night. Wasnt even on.
    edited 3 March 2017, 7:56PM
    Thank you for every ones help. Very much appreciated. I think its destination is the skip or recycling centre.....
    My poor box... going to chat with my computer friend and see what he comes up with.
    edited 7 March 2017, 8:31AM
    Evening all. Thank you again for your help. Just a little update. I got my you view box repaired. A friend of my put in a new hard drive took him an hour and all working brilliant. But thank you all again.
  • speedyritespeedyrite Member Posts: 81
    edited 9 August 2017, 8:07AM
    Did you manage to transfer all your recordings from the old drive to the new drive?
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 March 2017, 11:47AM

Did you manage to transfer all your recordings from the old drive to the new drive?

It isn't possible to transfer recordings speedyrite. As part of the setup process the box detects a replacement drive and re-formats it, so anything that is on the drive is lost.