[Discussion] Humax software update 27.46.0

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 10:17PM
    Visionman said:

Joe, going back to your comment here -
    "The way series folders are handless at the moment is poor. It's mine and many other people's biggest criticism. Expect a fix for this in the nearish future."
    Are you referring to this TT forum comment from an OCE? -

"The good news is we are exploring the introduction of the list view for recordings and we will bring back the hide channels feature but this will likely land in Feb or March. 
    One of the reasons for the image led UI is throughout testing customers actually cited it was easier to find their shows hence making the whole of the UI image led. We also have some exciting enhancements to My TV which is really just at the starting point. We want to add continue watching and bookmarking in the next 3-6 months which will make My TV and much more useful area of the experience. Beyond that we are planning to bring the subscriptions (boosts) into this area too so you have a one stop shop for the stuff you want to watch but that is a little way off right now."

Image result for dr who the silence
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 5 March 2017, 11:16PM
    Visionman said:

"The way series folders are handless at the moment is poor. It's mine and many other people's biggest criticism. Expect a fix for this in the nearish future."

"The good news is we are exploring the introduction of the list view for recordings and we will bring back the hide channels feature but this will likely land in Feb or March. 
    One of the reasons for the image led UI is throughout testing customers actually cited it was easier to find their shows hence making the whole of the UI image led. We also have some exciting enhancements to My TV which is really just at the starting point. We want to add continue watching and bookmarking in the next 3-6 months which will make My TV and much more useful area of the experience. Beyond that we are planning to bring the subscriptions (boosts) into this area too so you have a one stop shop for the stuff you want to watch but that is a little way off right now."

Doctor Who on PlayStation Home
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 March 2017, 8:56AM
    Visionman said:

More fingerless than handless, I'd have said....
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • Matthew JohnsMatthew Johns Member Posts: 98
    edited 19 March 2017, 9:46PM
    USB Keyboard
    I may have missed this in previous updates but this weekend I was plugging in a keyboard and found that the key mappings were no longer the same. For instance what used to be the youview button (F2 or F3 iirc) took me to the recorded programmes iconography/listything. This was definitely an improvement from my perspective. Does anyont know if the mapping is listed somewhere or do we have to work them out from trial and error?
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:05AM

USB Keyboard
    I may have missed this in previous updates but this weekend I was plugging in a keyboard and found that the key mappings were no longer the same. For instance what used to be the youview button (F2 or F3 iirc) took me to the recorded programmes iconography/listything. This was definitely an improvement from my perspective. Does anyont know if the mapping is listed somewhere or do we have to work them out from trial and error?

I'm afraid nothing's changed - Home on a keyboard is still the YouView menu button, F4 still goes to Recordings.
    The full list is on the Use a keyboard as a remote support page - take a look at the "Multimedia" keyboard overlay.
  • Matthew JohnsMatthew Johns Member Posts: 98
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:39AM

USB Keyboard

Thanks, I must have relabelled my keyboard to fit my preferred configuration rather than the actual setup ;-)
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    ***UPDATE***

Hi all - From today, we'll be rolling out this release to more T2000 customers. We'll also start rolling out to Humax Retail T1000 / T1010 boxes.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 March 2017, 4:08PM
    Sanj said:

***UPDATE***

Hi all - From today, we'll be rolling out this release to more T2000 customers. We'll also start rolling out to Humax Retail T1000 / T1010 boxes.

When will the rollout to customers with a t4000 happen?
    edited 7 March 2017, 5:50PM
    Sanj said:

***UPDATE***

Second wave here we come...
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 March 2017, 6:31PM
    Sanj said:

***UPDATE***

One might wonder if the pure retail T1000 user base is now smaller than the T2000 base, given a portion of those older boxes may have been retired or simply failed by now. If it is smaller perhaps the second wave retail feedback will thus be of a slightly reduced volume.

As for T4000 boxes, I would assume those are all BT related and so far BT have only been rolling out to non-recording zapper boxes.

One might speculate given the small size of the pure retail base that the roll out for these retail T1000 and T2000 boxes will be completed quickly. TalkTalk are already reasonably widely rolling out and BT have so far restricted themselves to the zapper boxes. Perhaps BT recording boxes will thus be up soon now (and then presumably Plusnet etc too).

At least then everyone/all boxes would be broadly in the same boat and that might mean attention can be more heavily focused on making the sailing experience less choppy ;-)
  • gsvalentinegsvalentine Member Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited 20 March 2017, 4:24PM
    Over all, I am more than please with this update. I do find my box faster now! Just 100% happy with the MyTV section. Also wish, I had a option to turn the BT Player off!
  • Alan3Alan3 Member Posts: 22
    edited 9 March 2017, 11:21AM
    Checked for software update this evening and have just downloaded the new UI. First impression is I do like it. Minor gripe is when I press the blue youview button,the guide shows SD channels rather than HD.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 March 2017, 7:03PM
    Sanj said:

***UPDATE***

Keith - I've been trying to find the post where you calculated that the TalkTalk rollout had only reached 10%. I don't think it was that long ago. So maybe it's still not very advanced? They still haven't released the update for their older boxes.
  • Claire2Claire2 Member Posts: 2
    edited 16 March 2017, 8:06PM
    Claire2 said:

Bit disappointed - The recordings screen with images takes far longer to navigate. For most programmes only a tiny part of the title shows up so it is hard to identify programmes if you have a large collection. With the previous version I liked that I could side click to move to the next screen. I'm also not sure what order recordings are arranged in.

Suggestions
    - settings option to choose list or thumbnail view
    - arrange by option for recordings (as in older boxes) to sort by date/title

Thank you!

Joe

Thank you! Poor description by me - what I was getting at was the option to sort recordings by date or by title.  Even with my quite small collection it would be good to have the option to sort by title, rather than always sorting by date.

Scrolling through each row does seem a bit long winded.  A skip down/sideways option would help!
  • David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited 7 March 2017, 8:22PM
    Sanj said:

***UPDATE***

Well I've update my T1000 box and what a speed difference generally pretty happy a few minor gripes but the overall bump in speed makes it more than worth it.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 March 2017, 7:58PM
    Sanj said:

***UPDATE***

Hi Jim - I think you are looking for this post from 21/12/2016 which in turn refers to TalkTalk's statement that at that point 150k people/boxes/households were so far (enjoying) the next gen experience.

Even with possible problems, and perhaps a hiatus in the roll out, I would hope the roll out has since significantly progressed. Back then they were supposedly rolling out at a reduced pace to be on the safe side yet still reaching on average 50k boxes per week. If they maintained just that rate for the last 12 weeks then they should have reached a further 600k boxes and thus be rolled out to 750k boxes by now. In practice they may have varied the rate as they reviewed issue but one might hope the roll out rate now would thus be over 100k boxes a week. Equally it could be that until the bug fix update this week they have been holding back but may now rush on - time will presumably tell when YouView update the software versions page to show it is complete and then we can make further broad deductions :)
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 March 2017, 7:58PM
    Sanj said:

***UPDATE***

Yep that's the one. And it's much older than I thought.
    Doesn't time fly?
    So your estimates are most probably correct.
    :-)
  • Richard GrovesRichard Groves Member Posts: 8
    edited 11 July 2017, 3:53PM
    Wow - had been waiting with hopeful anticipation for the update, and then it appeared this morning - great thinks I: new shiny stuff! Oh dear. Oh very dear.

TL;DR - the recording/scheduled program listings are horrible - you've lost features and made the UI for managing any sizeable collection much worse. Plus there are navigation disconnects, missing features and AFAICS no killer new feature. Advice to others - stop your box updating if you have a chance, wait for a few months and hope they fix this mess.

Update process was nice and slick, no data appears lost, slick intro video with what looks like a new timeline bar. Then it comes time to use it...

So let's try the guide first - hmm look pretty similar, lots of info, but have lost the mini-channel view which makes a massive disconnect between audio still playing but not having a visible picture (the transparent background *doesn't* count as a picture - so deeply faded and re-coloured that until I found the setting to turn it off I hadn't noticed it was on). Navigation around the guide was ok.

Now my recordings - hmm, one more button press to get to the list and then - WTF? A garbled mess of pictures placed too close to each other. No obvious order from big tile to little tile - no reason for big tile - last recorded? So what - and on page 2->N why is there a big tile? Can't properly see the titles of recording, can't see how many recordings in a series. Page button feels wrong way around too - not sure why but 'up' on listing pages should be page - and 'down' page +, hard to justify with a left/right interface, but definitely feels wrong.

Once I do find the recording I want to watch, somewhere on page 2, the selection then lays over a whole new screen to show the episode list. Pick episode + watch program. Is it me or does jumping forward leave the timeline bar on screen for much longer? And didn't it used to animate away rather than just disappearing? Maybe just that it is taking up more space (for no extra info) now.

Finish record and am back out to the picture list - press delete to get rid of the episode just watched and bang - prompted to delete whole series. WTF2? You can't pop us back up the navigation stack and extra level like that. So I had to dig into the series, select the right episode and delete it - more work, no benefit. [And the symbols for Delete and Lock episode don't match anything on my remote - can figure out that the DEL buttons deletes, but no idea what I need to press for Lock]

Let's have a look at scheduled recordings (the select between the two areas is better at the top than bottom +1 point there). Arghh! More picture mess - and with the old problem of a double entry for a new series record it looks even worse - daft big tile at 1 per page here as well. Why? What purpose does that emphasis provide on a dynamic page such as page 2 of next recordings?

The picture tiles all feel too tightly packed together too - which makes visually separating them even harder, but that's like discussing an ingrowing toe nail on a gangrenous leg.

Let's have a look at the 'Players and Apps' menu entry that has gained emphasis by now being what I need to skip over when getting to MyTV - Arrgh - my eyes! Put some space between the logos please! You must understand how hard it is to separate the images when they are pixel packed and blend into each other? Not like there are so many you are short of space - and having mentioned that why bother with a whole other page for the 'Apps' (you know - all three of them). And Mr. Big Tile didn't get an outing here??

Settings - err, yeah. Old one wasn't great was it, but a top level of over large icons that flow out of the page isn't a lot better than the previous carousel. Individual pages seem a bit slower to open, but meh - shouldn't need to be in the settings anyway if the system works well.

Mini-guide for MyTv - found this, nice linear list of programs - could solve the horrible picture wall, and you get the current TV behind - whoops: appears to not acknowledge series recordings and just play the latest episode.... joy. Oh and it's limited to just the most recent recordings, not all.

In summary this update appears to be have been designed by someone who doesn't really use one of these boxes. They've certainly not got an extensive library of recordings, with multiple episodes of multiple series. They are seriously lacking in UX design knowledge too - bad navigation paths, more button presses needed to get to key areas, navigation stack breakages too.

Performance of on box operations doesn't seem to have improved either, and the whole UI still looks like it is designed for a small screen running at 720p rather than a big 1080p screen - overly large boxes/images - which are often then crashed right into each other as well.

Oh and releasing without 'hide channel' - WTF3? How hard can that be to add in? What sort of crazy build schedule had that as 'sod it, ship this and we'll fix it later'???

Let's hope the promised 'we can upgrade this quickly' now comes to fruition and some of the damage can be undone. Would be even better if any new feature that justified the change would appear....

Final thought: Foisting this on people as a fait accompli without the option to revert is grim. What % of your user base will have even heard this update was happening? I'm the sort of geek that fills in registration forms and follows this stuff, but I bet for 90%+ the first they'll know about is there box has irreversibly changed.
  • UrsaUrsa Member Posts: 78
    edited 8 March 2017, 3:22PM
    just bought an Ethernet switch to service both TV and G5 YV Box - it will now double up as my Sentry to prevent this Upgrade happening as long as possible ... or at least until the first MotoGP / WSBk race in an overnight Time Zone ...

Sigh ...
  • gsvalentinegsvalentine Member Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited 11 August 2017, 5:04PM
    I am this this updater will be like big facebook update everyone says they really hate it! Give it a while, no one will ever remember what is was like before...
  • Andrew CAndrew C Member Posts: 47
    edited 5 May 2017, 11:02PM

I am this this updater will be like big facebook update everyone says they really hate it! Give it a while, no one will ever remember what is was like before...

You are joking right? I left FB and have never gone back lol.

Looks like this will be the same......
  • AJFAJF Member Posts: 7
    edited 28 April 2017, 8:40AM
    I have created a new account on this site purely to express my outrage (especially as regards the new supposed enhanced MyTV section ) at what has turned a superb user interface into a pile of poo.

Reading this thread, many others have already eloquently identified a morass of issues with which I heartily agree and I intend to offer no more comment beyond give me my old software back and I want to cry .....
  • AJFAJF Member Posts: 7
    edited 2 April 2017, 7:53PM

Wow - had been waiting with hopeful anticipation for the update, and then it appeared this morning - great thinks I: new shiny stuff! Oh dear. Oh very dear.

TL;DR - the recording/scheduled program listings are horrible - you've lost features and made the UI for managing any sizeable collection much worse. Plus there are navigation disconnects, missing features and AFAICS no killer new feature. Advice to others - stop your box updating if you have a chance, wait for a few months and hope they fix this mess.

Update process was nice and slick, no data appears lost, slick intro video with what looks like a new timeline bar. Then it comes time to use it...

So let's try the guide first - hmm look pretty similar, lots of info, but have lost the mini-channel view which makes a massive disconnect between audio still playing but not having a visible picture (the transparent background *doesn't* count as a picture - so deeply faded and re-coloured that until I found the setting to turn it off I hadn't noticed it was on). Navigation around the guide was ok.

Now my recordings - hmm, one more button press to get to the list and then - WTF? A garbled mess of pictures placed too close to each other. No obvious order from big tile to little tile - no reason for big tile - last recorded? So what - and on page 2->N why is there a big tile? Can't properly see the titles of recording, can't see how many recordings in a series. Page button feels wrong way around too - not sure why but 'up' on listing pages should be page - and 'down' page +, hard to justify with a left/right interface, but definitely feels wrong.

Once I do find the recording I want to watch, somewhere on page 2, the selection then lays over a whole new screen to show the episode list. Pick episode + watch program. Is it me or does jumping forward leave the timeline bar on screen for much longer? And didn't it used to animate away rather than just disappearing? Maybe just that it is taking up more space (for no extra info) now.

Finish record and am back out to the picture list - press delete to get rid of the episode just watched and bang - prompted to delete whole series. WTF2? You can't pop us back up the navigation stack and extra level like that. So I had to dig into the series, select the right episode and delete it - more work, no benefit. [And the symbols for Delete and Lock episode don't match anything on my remote - can figure out that the DEL buttons deletes, but no idea what I need to press for Lock]

Let's have a look at scheduled recordings (the select between the two areas is better at the top than bottom +1 point there). Arghh! More picture mess - and with the old problem of a double entry for a new series record it looks even worse - daft big tile at 1 per page here as well. Why? What purpose does that emphasis provide on a dynamic page such as page 2 of next recordings?

The picture tiles all feel too tightly packed together too - which makes visually separating them even harder, but that's like discussing an ingrowing toe nail on a gangrenous leg.

Let's have a look at the 'Players and Apps' menu entry that has gained emphasis by now being what I need to skip over when getting to MyTV - Arrgh - my eyes! Put some space between the logos please! You must understand how hard it is to separate the images when they are pixel packed and blend into each other? Not like there are so many you are short of space - and having mentioned that why bother with a whole other page for the 'Apps' (you know - all three of them). And Mr. Big Tile didn't get an outing here??

Settings - err, yeah. Old one wasn't great was it, but a top level of over large icons that flow out of the page isn't a lot better than the previous carousel. Individual pages seem a bit slower to open, but meh - shouldn't need to be in the settings anyway if the system works well.

Mini-guide for MyTv - found this, nice linear list of programs - could solve the horrible picture wall, and you get the current TV behind - whoops: appears to not acknowledge series recordings and just play the latest episode.... joy. Oh and it's limited to just the most recent recordings, not all.

In summary this update appears to be have been designed by someone who doesn't really use one of these boxes. They've certainly not got an extensive library of recordings, with multiple episodes of multiple series. They are seriously lacking in UX design knowledge too - bad navigation paths, more button presses needed to get to key areas, navigation stack breakages too.

Performance of on box operations doesn't seem to have improved either, and the whole UI still looks like it is designed for a small screen running at 720p rather than a big 1080p screen - overly large boxes/images - which are often then crashed right into each other as well.

Oh and releasing without 'hide channel' - WTF3? How hard can that be to add in? What sort of crazy build schedule had that as 'sod it, ship this and we'll fix it later'???

Let's hope the promised 'we can upgrade this quickly' now comes to fruition and some of the damage can be undone. Would be even better if any new feature that justified the change would appear....

Final thought: Foisting this on people as a fait accompli without the option to revert is grim. What % of your user base will have even heard this update was happening? I'm the sort of geek that fills in registration forms and follows this stuff, but I bet for 90%+ the first they'll know about is there box has irreversibly changed.

I am that very person mentioned in your final paragraph and am extremely unhappy with this FreeView update (excellent post btw)
  • Andy15Andy15 Member Posts: 12
    edited 8 March 2017, 9:14PM
    SueS said:

Update 27.46 came in without me saying yay/nay which seems a bit off since it's a major change. I miss the box upper left with the channel preview but my major gripe is reserved for the recordings list with those little confusing images and incomplete text. Can I *please* have a simple text list of my recordings. If I had the option I'd revert to the old software simply on this issue. But I don't have the option - see above for installation/imposition without permission. I do like the other features I've seen though - clearer settings options & much better contrast of text to background in listings spring to mind . One difficulty I'm having is that BT player doesn't seem to be working at all - simply "loading..." followed by a blank screen when it's selected. I have BT as ISP but I don't have a subscription to BT tv, which might be the problem. Please keep the updates coming!

+1 for the option to revert to a written list of recordings. I'd also like to select the default sort to be either chronological or A-Z and not auto default to chronological each time. Final ask to have the ability to organise into folders I can create and rename (like the old humax Freeview software)
  • Andy15Andy15 Member Posts: 12
    edited 3 April 2017, 1:37AM
    SueS said:

Update 27.46 came in without me saying yay/nay which seems a bit off since it's a major change. I miss the box upper left with the channel preview but my major gripe is reserved for the recordings list with those little confusing images and incomplete text. Can I *please* have a simple text list of my recordings. If I had the option I'd revert to the old software simply on this issue. But I don't have the option - see above for installation/imposition without permission. I do like the other features I've seen though - clearer settings options & much better contrast of text to background in listings spring to mind . One difficulty I'm having is that BT player doesn't seem to be working at all - simply "loading..." followed by a blank screen when it's selected. I have BT as ISP but I don't have a subscription to BT tv, which might be the problem. Please keep the updates coming!

+1 for the option to revert to a written list of recordings. I'd also like to select the default sort to be either chronological or A-Z and not auto default to chronological each time. Final ask to have the ability to organise into folders I can create and rename (like the old humax Freeview software)
  • Alan FordAlan Ford Member Posts: 2
    edited 2 April 2017, 7:57PM

I have created a new account on this site purely to express my outrage (especially as regards the new supposed enhanced MyTV section ) at what has turned a superb user interface into a pile of poo.

Reading this thread, many others have already eloquently identified a morass of issues with which I heartily agree and I intend to offer no more comment beyond give me my old software back and I want to cry .....

You are not the only one I too created this account to express my dislike of the new interface. 
    I can read and don't rely on pictures to find my programs. We now get pictures and less information when trying to find recordings. 
    I can only hope that someone pays attention to these comments but I am not going to hold my breath.
  • Colin DouglasColin Douglas Member Posts: 2
    edited 28 April 2017, 8:40AM
    Pictures do NOT enhance the way recordings are viewed - a simple clear list in simple English is, as far as I'm concerned, much easier to navigate. Please give us the option to view as text.  I do not consider the update an improvement - pictures all over the place!!!
  • Babs BukunolaBabs Bukunola Member Posts: 46
    edited 3 April 2017, 1:39AM
    SueS said:

Re worded listing-
    Just posted this in the 1st discussion googled but it's  appropriate here (as are the other comments posted under 'furious' Richard's "Catastrophe"

.......Beginning to think it's a beta release ,less than 24hrs exposure and yet  another flaw. When you select a 'file' to listen to In the record library the highlighted 'selection box' stays put. So if  you select  recording 3rd along on second row that's where the box remains. The icon itself however moves to the head of the page. So if ,when playback has finished, you click 'del' automatically as I have done since purchase , you don't delete the intended just listened to recording but whatever is NOW   '3rd along on second row '. And because the magnified icon of the record you wanted to delete remains mockingly unchanged at the head of the list , you press del again.
    THEN I realise that
    - moving the current playback to the head of the list and magnifying it's icon is a complete distraction because
    - the selection box is still where the current playback originally was
    ( (both of which, if it had still been a word list instead of the new 'multicoloured/shaped mess' would have been immediately obvious)
    -I have therefore deleted 2 files
    - I don't know what they were , if they were drama they were probably 'box sets' gone forever.
    Happy NOT.

Time for a new box. Which reminds me that previously THE recurrent complaint was the lack of 'slo mo' , it's inclusion  might have balanced against all the update's cons 
  • RowlandRowland Member Posts: 1
    edited 2 April 2017, 7:53PM

111 episodes of a daily series recorded, I know excessive, but we are quickly going through them, or were. We can only see five at a time now, cannot even wrap from most recent to least.
    And I had to create an account to vent!
  • Fed-up from CambridgeFed-up from Cambridge Member Posts: 9
    edited 3 April 2017, 1:39AM
    SueS said:

I have also had a new update today. I bought my box less than a month ago and didn't buy an advertising vehicle for BT. Why does my box say BT TV? Also where is my list of recordings? Not pictures a list?