When will the USB slot have a purpose perhaps to allow recorded programmes and series be transferred

STEPHEN PARKINSTEPHEN PARKIN Member Posts: 1
edited 19 April 2017, 8:35AM in Discussion
USB usage. When will it have a purpose perhaps to allow recorded programmes and series be transferred to free up space ????

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 March 2017, 5:26PM
    For that, never.

But it will;
    charge your mobile phone;
    power your wifi nano router if you don't want to use an Ethernet cable;
    accept software updates if you can't get them OTT and need them on a USB stick;
    and allow the connection of accessibility devices like keyboards, in support of the differently abled.
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • Colin HideColin Hide Member Posts: 8
    edited 8 March 2017, 8:09PM
    As Roy says,I have a mini usb keyboard plugged in to my PN box,mainly because my Oneforall,does not have all the keys programmed.Excellent for deleting viewed recordings,as well as being used as yet another spare handset.
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,028 ✭✭
    edited 11 March 2017, 11:46PM
    I use  the USB slot at times for a USB fan
  • Colin HideColin Hide Member Posts: 8
    edited 8 March 2017, 8:55PM
    As Roy says,I have a mini usb keyboard plugged in to my PN box,mainly because my Oneforall,does not have all the keys programmed.Excellent for deleting viewed recordings,as well as being used as yet another spare handset.
    edited 8 March 2017, 10:12PM
    zulu17 said:

Cool.... :-)
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • edited 11 March 2017, 9:15AM
    zulu17 said:

Oh boy I mean oh Roy your joke is poor
  • edited 19 April 2017, 8:35AM
    The USB slot is for engineers technical people, it can be used to charge a.phone power a USB fan but laws about copyright to memory sticks do not allow data to go off the device, youview have to follow laws and copyright. The USB slot does have a purpose and works, it just copyright laws do not permit at present for youview to allow data to go onto pen drive. The USB has some important functions, keyboards for people with extra needs such as visual impairment and people who have difficulty using TV remote. Youview working hard to support people with extra needs to enjoy TV.
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 315
    edited 11 March 2017, 4:30PM

The USB slot is for engineers technical people, it can be used to charge a.phone power a USB fan but laws about copyright to memory sticks do not allow data to go off the device, youview have to follow laws and copyright. The USB slot does have a purpose and works, it just copyright laws do not permit at present for youview to allow data to go onto pen drive. The USB has some important functions, keyboards for people with extra needs such as visual impairment and people who have difficulty using TV remote. Youview working hard to support people with extra needs to enjoy TV.

Why are Youview impacted by the copyright laws that you are referring to when Humax freeview recorders have ever since 2005 allowed export of SD and Radio recordings unencrypted not just to USB HDDs but also to USB pen drives?

Other manufacturers have also included non-HD export unencrypted to USB memory on some of their models e.g. Vestel and Segam.  Other makes also allow export of encrypted recordings for archiving to free upspace. 
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 March 2017, 5:48PM

Panasonic PVRs allow export of encrypted recordings to USB storage, but the facility can't really be described as archiving. USB devices used for that purpose are keyed to the machine that made the recordings, so when the machine fails all recordings made by that machine are lost. I suspect that may be the case with other brands of PVR that have that facility.
    edited 5 February 2018, 12:19PM
    Enjoy it while you can Samuel, time is running out for you.
  • edited 5 February 2018, 12:19PM
    I'm not bothered about forum Roy old boy, if I'm on i will get involved if I'm not then i wont. But if i cant comment or respond i wont lose any sleep Roy, by the way the next gen s.ware is great a little clunky but work in progress, it's only a way to store and retrieve a TV programme nothing to lose any sleep over. The forum is not owned by you Roy or Visionman although you feel it's your views and not everyone being allowed.
  • edited 5 February 2018, 12:19PM
    Roy i don't get excited about colour or a pic or list, its only a way to Select a recorded TV show.
    edited 5 February 2018, 12:20PM
    Samuel, don't let the door bang your behind on the way out.
  • edited 5 February 2018, 12:20PM
    Oh Roy! Don't get too excited Youview changed the logo ... Better start a thread or tell everyone the shade of blue has changed. OMG
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 March 2017, 12:44AM

Yes, exported recordings are slaved to the device they are recorded from. So when the device goes zzzzzt, so do the recordings. YouView Sony TVs don't have this problem. Though I daren't say that on there. Oh no....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etx-nDCZzLo
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 12 March 2017, 7:36AM

The YouView solution to lost recordings on the Sony TVs is simple and elegant.

It can't make any.....
  • edited 12 March 2017, 9:51AM

Roy if you can design a better system then do it. Have u had a sleep because my phone goes ding ding with too many forum messages from you, you are trying to dominate this forum, give others a change old boy Roy
  • UrsaUrsa Member Posts: 78
    edited 12 March 2017, 5:02PM

Looks like some Village has lost its idiot .....
  • edited 12 March 2017, 10:18AM

Where are you off to URSA ...... Are you the old boy Roy forum mate... Why don't you do something better instead and switch off your TV set phone and computer and go for walkies... You are barking
  • UrsaUrsa Member Posts: 78
    edited 12 March 2017, 10:52AM

ODFO .....
  • edited 12 March 2017, 10:51AM

Abcdefg i think you are a silly billy. URSA your short text was childish are you 15 or just plain rude.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 506 ✭✭
    edited 12 March 2017, 10:52AM

Samuel, did you sign up to this forum just to be rude to other members because that seems to be all you are doing.

You've had pops at Roy & VM amongst many others , people who come here for a bit of relaxation , to help others , to find help , to comment on developments etc - basically anyone can be a target for your juvenile behaviour .

Time to grow up or , preferably , leave.
  • edited 12 March 2017, 10:59AM

Tim calm down enjoy your relaxation oh the update of version ABC 123 has icons not lists, people keep using forum to have a go at developers who have designed great menus, good TV box with big partners such as Huawei, Humax, TalkTalk,BT and plus net in a very congested market, award winning from which and best buy from channel 5 gadget show award.
    edited 12 March 2017, 12:13PM

About USB recording -

Visionman said: "YouView Sony TVs don't have this problem."

Roy said: "It can't make any....."

Presumably USB recording isn't possible when the TV is in YouView mode. I wonder why that is? I looked on the Sony website for a reason. I couldn't find one, so I tried Curries . . .   Things seem to make more sense on a full stomach :)
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 315
    edited 12 March 2017, 1:08PM

@Jonesh.
    Yesterday you posted that you thought that suspect may be other brands of PVR that have archiving also have the archived recordings tied to the PVR that recorded them.

I am not mistaken when I stated I have owned, and still, own PVR where that is not the situation. 
    This is what I meant by stating that the examples I gave export SD and radio unencrypted.  As they are not encrypted they are not tied to that PVR.
    I regularly export from my main PVR and play the exported recording on other devices.

This means that my question to Samuel still stands.
    edited 12 March 2017, 9:23PM

Your question to Samuel stands Yasha and I apologise if my comment suggested that I thought that it doesn't. Reading it now I understand why you would think that, but it wasn't my intention. My comment was about encrypted HD files on Panasonic machines that also treat non-encrypted SD files in the same way. I don't know if there are any other PVRs that use a similar system.

I am aware that there are other brands of PVR that allow the exporting of SD and radio files via USB. I have got one and I regularly back-up its HDD to a computer. My limited IT training taught me that it is good practice to back-up data regularly and I find it frustrating that I am unable to do that with YouView and Panasonic machines.

I assume that there are no UK spec PVRs available that allow encrypted HD files to be copied.
    edited 12 March 2017, 9:52PM

You can pipe your HD out through the 'analogue hole'.

An HDMI to component video converter gives you an analogue, but still HD, signal free of DRM, that you can then work with as you wish, subject to the limitations of the device you want to copy to.

From the YouView box, this is 1x speed copying only, but it can be done.
    edited 13 March 2017, 11:25AM

The analogue hole? An interesting idea. Probably best not to abbreviate it though :-)
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 March 2017, 10:51PM

I definitely wouldn't like to look into that one. :(
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 12 March 2017, 10:56PM

"Probably best not to abbreviate it though :-)"  

Analogue H?