[Discussion] Humax software update 27.46.0

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 March 2017, 12:30AM

Since my Humax DTR-T2000 box auto-updated to 27.46.0 it has begun to power up randomly in "Maintenance Mode" without being activated by the remote or box. This is the case irrespective of which power saving mode is selected. Basically , the unit is off in standby mode at night and has powered up overnight into maintenance mode in the morning. I have to select "reset software" to reset the box and turn it off again. This is a daily occurrence and is most annoying and needs to be addressed by Humax.

Turn the box off by first putting it into standby and then pulling the power. Leave it for two minutes and then boot it up again. That should sort it. if it does or doesn't, please post back.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Babs BukunolaBabs Bukunola Member Posts: 46
    edited 2 April 2017, 8:16PM
    Steve D2 said:

Phil of YouView(not any more, I don't)

It's good that you read the forums and take the time to let people know that you're listening, but i'd wager that the depth of feeling here - much of which comes from people who have registered specifically to ask you to revert the software - is at odds with whatever your user testing is telling you. 

Even then, it would be a moot point if you simply gave your customers control over which software load their unit is running. But you won't, which is just a little shy of lunacy. 

If you won't allow customers to opt-out of future updates, won't allow customers to revert this update, and if you cannot accept that your UX, design and UI teams (assuming they exist) have got it 'wrong' this time, then I will not be a customer for much longer (I'm looking for a replacement this weekend, as it goes).

When I do find a replacement for my almost-new Humax unit, I'll be sure to leave an appropriate one-star review on Amazon (where I bought it from), and I'll also leave corresponding reviews on mainstream retailer websites across the UK.

That might sound vindictive, but the truth is that I don't think anyone should have this sort of **** foisted on them by Humax, and given that elements of the UI are now almost unusable, I think it's the responsibility of your spurned and ignored ex-customers to let others know what sort of business model Humax is running, and what sort of UX and CX they can expect. 

Certainly something to bear in mind but  misses the point that the sole purpose for the lorry's manufacture / purchase / existence is to deliver that sole set of goods. 
    If I bought a lorry that had a home cinema welded on the back and was assured I could always use it or something better. If I woke 9 mths later to find a mono , black and white , 18" tv welded there in its place , I would be just as unhappy that (like my nHumax) I now have a lorry that I can do nothing with other than listen to a service delivered at a much lower quality than before .
    edited 12 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Steve D2 said:

It's good that you read the forums and take the time to let people know that you're listening, but i'd wager that the depth of feeling here - much of which comes from people who have registered specifically to ask you to revert the software - is at odds with whatever your user testing is telling you. 

Even then, it would be a moot point if you simply gave your customers control over which software load their unit is running. But you won't, which is just a little shy of lunacy. 

If you won't allow customers to opt-out of future updates, won't allow customers to revert this update, and if you cannot accept that your UX, design and UI teams (assuming they exist) have got it 'wrong' this time, then I will not be a customer for much longer (I'm looking for a replacement this weekend, as it goes).

When I do find a replacement for my almost-new Humax unit, I'll be sure to leave an appropriate one-star review on Amazon (where I bought it from), and I'll also leave corresponding reviews on mainstream retailer websites across the UK.

That might sound vindictive, but the truth is that I don't think anyone should have this sort of **** foisted on them by Humax, and given that elements of the UI are now almost unusable, I think it's the responsibility of your spurned and ignored ex-customers to let others know what sort of business model Humax is running, and what sort of UX and CX they can expect. 

Maybe you didn't read the analogy,? Which was not of my  choosing.
     Lorries or any other vehicle are multi purpose re what they carry. If  the goods become shoddy I take issue with the goods' provider and carry on using my lorry.
    If the goods and the lorry are inextricably linked then I now have displeasing goods/Youview and a lorry I can't use for anything else/Humax.
    edited 12 March 2017, 3:22AM
    Steve D2 said:

A poor comment, and completely unrelated to what is actually happening. 
    edited 12 March 2017, 3:25AM
    Steve D2 said:

Totally nonsensical, to be kind and say the least.... what on earth are you talking about?
    edited 12 March 2017, 3:55AM

To Phil from YouView,

Thanks very much for your response. It is good to know that YouView are reading the customer feedback and intend to take it on board.

It is not so good that we cannot reverse this unwanted software change, which is clearly what everyone wants. The most worrying part of your response, however, is the following:

"We believe the visual changes made in the new update to areas of the UI will make it easier to use for viewers going forward...."

You seem to be saying that the chorus of customer dissatisfaction is just wrong, and that the handful of people who work in your office have decided that the UI is now easier to use. With respect this is simply delusional - it reminds me of the Trump administration's "alternative facts". Please do not stick your head in the sand over this - listen to your customer base here, acknowledge that the UI has got worse, and use the next update to restore the features that made people like YouView the first place. The history of technology platforms tells us that it will not survive for long if you do not listen to your customers.

Andy, How do I contact the software manufacturer? Thanks
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 March 2017, 7:51AM
    Steve D2 said:

An analogy is a gate into a field, not something to be swung on until the hinges creak :-)

My point, which Steve D has kindly acknowledged, is that Humax are not to blame here.

Microsoft rolled out Windows 10 in a fashion that made avoiding it nearly impossible; fortunately, it is superior to Windows 8.1 in almost all respects, possibly in all respects.

But if it had not been (e.g. If Microsoft had foisted 8 on 7 users without the option) would you have blamed your laptop manufacturer, given that hardware and operating software are likewise 'inextricably linked'?

Same with Humax and Huawei hardware running the YouView software.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • SRBSRB Member Posts: 15
    edited 12 March 2017, 7:55AM

image I've just been readying an old Humax HDR Fox T2 with custom firmware against the time when, inevitably, the dreaded 'upgrade' happens to us, and I noticed that this is one of the options for listings, you can choose lists, icons, or both! What a sensible option. Bearing in mind that this is cobbled together by a small bunch of amateurs in their spare time, surely Youview could come up with similar choices? You can also have any background image or colour you want, or the TV playing, or even a slideshow of your own photos if that's what floats your boat. Brilliant stuff!
    (Not my photo by the way, camera battery flat).

Interesting to note what it's doing as well - copying a video to a flash drive :~)
    This is also a feature of the official firmware.

1 or 0 The stark world of binary indeed.
  • Jane TJane T Member Posts: 9
    edited 12 March 2017, 9:43PM
    I have found a good thing about the new update, which has lead me to another bad thing.... I use the YouView app on my phone to set recordings, so don't tend to look at the scheduled recordings screen on the Humax box. It used to be that there was no communication back from the box to the phone, so if I set a recording that clashed, I wouldn't find out until later when I turned the telly on. I set a recording yesterday, and got a message back to the phone telling me there was a clash. Very good - I like that, that's a good thing. So I turned the telly on, and had a look at my scheduled recordings to see what it was - and dear me! The scheduled recordings screen seems even worse than the recordings screen - one on the tiles doesn't even have any text! I've attached a screen shot - at one point, that top left hand tile wasn't even showing the whole picture, just a portion of it. I've just checked again, and it does seem to be displaying better today - however it's also led me to another issue. I wanted to delete a series record - but not the whole series, just the next recording scheduled. On the old system it would ask if I wanted to delete the whole thing, or just the next program. This just deleted the whole series without asking for confirmation. image
    edited 17 March 2017, 11:45AM
    Hi Jane T

If you select 'Info' on each of those tiles, including the blank ones, you will find that the picture tile relates to the first episode of a series where recording has not yet started, and the blank tile to the whole series.

The blank tile vanishes once the first episode has been recorded, after which the picture tile carries the series.

For series recordings made on the box itself, there is only the picture tile, for the whole series, present from the get-go.

For something Scheduled from the app, you can delete the blank tile, and the picture tile will go as well, but the series is still Scheduled, and if you go back into Scheduled, you will see the picture tile restored, and now standing for the whole schedule.

Try to Delete this, and as you have found, the whole series goes away, without the option of deleting just the next episode.

When you have the picture (first episode) and blank tile (series), I don't seem to have a record of what deleting the picture tile does.

Probably the wrong thing :-(
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 13 March 2017, 11:15AM

image I've just been readying an old Humax HDR Fox T2 with custom firmware against the time when, inevitably, the dreaded 'upgrade' happens to us, and I noticed that this is one of the options for listings, you can choose lists, icons, or both! What a sensible option. Bearing in mind that this is cobbled together by a small bunch of amateurs in their spare time, surely Youview could come up with similar choices? You can also have any background image or colour you want, or the TV playing, or even a slideshow of your own photos if that's what floats your boat. Brilliant stuff!

Interesting to note what it's doing as well - copying a video to a flash drive :~)

If you want to duck the question, fair enough and that's OK. But that then begs the question if your not going to answer questions about your past experiences, why bring it up in the first place?
    You got 3 stars for that. Why? I don't know and I also doubt even they do. Poor. 
    TiVo - garbage. BT Vision - Garbage for years until they sorted it out. iPlayer - always superb. Love the iPlayer, its the best Benchmark IP service in the world. 
    So your testing may have been poor. Didn't you feed it back?
    edited 12 March 2017, 11:55PM
    Steve D2 said:

I'm a bit confused as you seem to be saying that both windows 10 was 'rolled' out over windows 8 and the latter foisted on windows 7. Either way neither is actually true. Windows 10 was easily and 100% avoidable. It only took several months of cancelling/deleting the increasingly strident pop ups to change or miss the deadline.
    Yes the tip of my tongue is gently prodding my cheek but the point is there was choice as a result of which I currently online via my Asus transformer still using windows 8.
    Further more my PC still runs on XP. That was more of a forced choice because neither my scanner nor printer had drivers on newer windows but still ultimately my own choice. They may take away support and such like , so if you don't go with their flow you have to be more self reliant / inventive but I'm not aware that any Microsoft update has ever been automatic, with no individual warning and with no avoidance.
    So never been even an inkling of thinking of blaming my pc or laptop manufacturers
    edited 13 March 2017, 12:03AM
    Steve D2 said:

Who cares? And the fact your wrong is true. 
    edited 13 March 2017, 12:10AM
    Steve D2 said:

Visionman - I say again the lorry analogy was not mine. As you didn't understand my 1st attempt  to explain why it didn't apply , I tried again in detail. I give up but  relieved that at least one person agrees I am not writing double dutch.
    edited 13 March 2017, 12:15AM
    Steve D2 said:

Ah well. Thanks for clearing up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a55hIGmMzuE
    edited 13 March 2017, 7:05AM
    Steve D2 said:

'Who cares....' Visionman? -  Seemingly you ,you'ver followed many of my posts here often with similarly snide comments. If am wrong please educate me as to which edition of windows was introduced in precisely this manner.
    As previously , I'm assuming you realise the windows analogy was not miine , Like the last one, just pointing out the situation's not the same
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 March 2017, 9:01AM
    Steve D2 said:

Visionman can be unnecessarily argumentative at times but rarely snide.
  • Matthew JohnsMatthew Johns Member Posts: 98
    edited 2 April 2017, 8:23PM
    Roy1 said:

Hi Jane T

If you select 'Info' on each of those tiles, including the blank ones, you will find that the picture tile relates to the first episode of a series where recording has not yet started, and the blank tile to the whole series.

The blank tile vanishes once the first episode has been recorded, after which the picture tile carries the series.

For series recordings made on the box itself, there is only the picture tile, for the whole series, present from the get-go.

For something Scheduled from the app, you can delete the blank tile, and the picture tile will go as well, but the series is still Scheduled, and if you go back into Scheduled, you will see the picture tile restored, and now standing for the whole schedule.

Try to Delete this, and as you have found, the whole series goes away, without the option of deleting just the next episode.

When you have the picture (first episode) and blank tile (series), I don't seem to have a record of what deleting the picture tile does.

Thank you Roy for that.
    I have to say though that the fact that it takes six sentences to describe the mechanism for what needs to be intuitive is indicative of the issues that we're experiencing.
    I'm willing to suffer a couple more months of SWMBO feedback but if the interface doesn't improve (either SWMBO or youview  ;-) ) then it's goodbye (to youview). 
    edited 13 March 2017, 11:19AM
    Roy1 said:

Hi Jane T

Agreed. And those six sentences are culled from three separate experiments to qualify the problem, and there is still one combination I didn't test.

Or didn't write down if I did test it, which at my age comes to much the same thing :-)
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 13 March 2017, 1:11PM
    Jane T said:

Like so many others here, I joined this forum specifically to express my dissatisfaction with this software update, and I think what everyone would like here is a little reassurance that something will be done to sort it out - especially the return of text lists for recordings, and sorting out  of the horrible mess that the series records now are. And I'm not getting it - it just feels like we're being told tough, we've tested it, this is what you are getting....

Hi Jane, we appreciate you taking the time to feedback on here. One of the characteristics of the new software is that we are able to update more regularly than before.

When updating our software your feedback and those from other users here is extremely important. We are ensuring that all the suggestions raised on functionality will be shared with the product team.
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 317 ✭✭
    edited 13 March 2017, 2:11PM

Re the example of HDR-FOX T2 and its custom firmware.  To clarify:

What most people mean by custom firmware for the HDR-FOX T2 is the additional 3rd party software that runs along side HDR-FOX T2's normal software.  

One of the many things that the custom firmware can do is provide a fully functioning epg on a networked computer.  It is this additional epg that can be easily individually tailored for various view preferences.  The basics UI on the TV remains totally unchanged for any of the custom add-ons, the only exception that I can recall is the screen saver where you can easily change to about a dozen additional options or if you are more technically experienced add your own.

What leaving the original software intact also means is that the orgional functions are still available.  There was no need to re-write the copy/move function for the UI as it is still there, untouched.
    edited 13 March 2017, 10:18PM
    Roy1 said:

Hi Jane T

Thank you Roy - I really wouldn't have found that without you pointing it out. I've had a play with it again today and found I can't scroll onto what look like blank tiles - but I can get onto the gaps that look like there's nothing at all there, and that's where this information for series records is. It's not necessarily right next to the series it refers to either - it might be on the row below. I'm not sure how useful this information is, since as far as I can see if I delete a series record the whole thing goes, and there doesn't seem to be any other options that I can find.

I had another play about with setting a series record, then deleting it. Straight after deleting it, my screen looked like this: image
    The large tile is now a jumble of bits of the other scheduled programs, mixed with parts of the image from the series record I just deleted. It sorts itself out if I go back to my list of recorded programs, then back here - but clearly something is wrong with the works if it looks like this!
    edited 13 March 2017, 7:46PM
    Jane T said:

Like so many others here, I joined this forum specifically to express my dissatisfaction with this software update, and I think what everyone would like here is a little reassurance that something will be done to sort it out - especially the return of text lists for recordings, and sorting out  of the horrible mess that the series records now are. And I'm not getting it - it just feels like we're being told tough, we've tested it, this is what you are getting....

Thank you for your reassurance Phil, I shall look forward to an update solving these issues in the near future.
  • James FletcherJames Fletcher Member Posts: 14
    edited 13 April 2017, 7:25AM
    Visionman said:

Joe, going back to your comment here -
    "The way series folders are handless at the moment is poor. It's mine and many other people's biggest criticism. Expect a fix for this in the nearish future."
    Are you referring to this TT forum comment from an OCE? -

"The good news is we are exploring the introduction of the list view for recordings and we will bring back the hide channels feature but this will likely land in Feb or March. 
    One of the reasons for the image led UI is throughout testing customers actually cited it was easier to find their shows hence making the whole of the UI image led. We also have some exciting enhancements to My TV which is really just at the starting point. We want to add continue watching and bookmarking in the next 3-6 months which will make My TV and much more useful area of the experience. Beyond that we are planning to bring the subscriptions (boosts) into this area too so you have a one stop shop for the stuff you want to watch but that is a little way off right now."

"throughout testing customers actually cited it was easier to find their shows" - I would really like to know the demographics of these customers :-)    
    How were they "selected" - a lot of participants tend to be "self-selected", i.e. those that know how to get selected are a particular type of person - which is why surveys are becoming less and less reliable.
    edited 13 March 2017, 10:09PM
    Visionman said:

Joe, going back to your comment here -
    "The way series folders are handless at the moment is poor. It's mine and many other people's biggest criticism. Expect a fix for this in the nearish future."
    Are you referring to this TT forum comment from an OCE? -

"The good news is we are exploring the introduction of the list view for recordings and we will bring back the hide channels feature but this will likely land in Feb or March. 
    One of the reasons for the image led UI is throughout testing customers actually cited it was easier to find their shows hence making the whole of the UI image led. We also have some exciting enhancements to My TV which is really just at the starting point. We want to add continue watching and bookmarking in the next 3-6 months which will make My TV and much more useful area of the experience. Beyond that we are planning to bring the subscriptions (boosts) into this area too so you have a one stop shop for the stuff you want to watch but that is a little way off right now."

I would really like to know the demographics of these customers :-) 

[email protected]
    edited 13 March 2017, 10:10PM
    Steve D2 said:

Babs , i think you take things too literally for analogies to work for you.

But it's very simple - if you wouldn't dream of blaming your laptop manufacturer for changes in Windows, then you shouldn't dream of blaming Humax for changes in YouView.

Because the relationships in each case are essentially the same.
    edited 14 March 2017, 9:11AM
    Roy1 said:

Hi Jane T

Excellent spot, Jane. Are you an engineer btw? :) 
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Member Posts: 246
    edited 14 March 2017, 1:00AM

That was true of the older Hummy tv mods, but things have moved on a bit. With any decent firmware mod these days you can Telnet in from a networked computer, install Busybox, and change anything you like from the bottom up. If you want to keep it simple, there's even a web interface where you can change graphic elements, install skins, and add your own web-based services.
  • Ryan ByfordRyan Byford Member Posts: 1
    edited 11 April 2017, 7:46PM
    This new interface is terrible. I like tile based menus (normally) but the implementation of this format with YouView is half baked. It's so bad I'm recommending people skip YouView and look elsewhere.

I will record shows with 20+ episodes and want to watch them in chronological order. On the old menu, I pushed the left button twice and went back in time by weeks. With the new interface, I have to hit the back button 20+ times to locate the show. After the show ends, guess what? I have to press the left button 20+ times to locate the "watched" show just to delete it. Seriously. I don't think anybody properly tested this before release.

I accidentally deleted entire series yesterday. That annoyed me. Never would have happen on the old interface.

The BT app no longer lets you filter shows by channel. Why?

I really want to revert back to the old YouView. I don't appreciate being forced to be a guinea pig for YouView.
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 March 2017, 8:38PM
    Couple of observations
    1 Holding the directional button on screens will often navigate quickly in the desired direction rather than doing multiple individual clicks.
    2 if you set the Delete Confirmation to on I believe you will get a clear indication that you are about to delete multiple episodes of a series and require you to confirm that you want to proceed.