[Discussion] Humax software update 27.45.0

Comments

• jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 March 2017, 6:45PM
    Visionman said:

Bump.

I entirely share your views Roy.
    And your contribution to this forum is highly valued.
    Please do not consider departing.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 506 ✭✭
    edited 14 March 2017, 6:45PM
    Visionman said:

Bump.

Roy , I've sometimes question - in my head - what you think & what is reality :-) .

But seriously one does have to question who on earth tested these changes & said Yeah they're brilliant , let's roll it out to the unsuspecting masses out there.

And Roy , don't ever leave as I enjoy reading your posts, the vast majority I concur with.
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Member Posts: 246
    edited 14 March 2017, 1:02PM
    Visionman said:

Bump.

I know that quite a few people will consider this just another unrepresentative figure, but the charity I do PAT testing for in Norwich had 27 TalkTalk Youview boxes donated in the two weeks after Christmas, having never had any before, and apparently there's a stack more waiting for me when I go in next week.
    Admittedly a few January sale bargains might have swayed them a bit, but the fact that they've chosen to dispose of them rather that stick them in the attic and see if things improve doesn't bode well.........
  • Matthew JohnsMatthew Johns Member Posts: 98
    edited 14 March 2017, 2:24PM
    Visionman said:

Bump.

Thought that might be the case. Was wondering if it's possible to see the trend in average ebay selling price over the last six months?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 March 2017, 4:12PM
    Visionman said:

Bump.

Very low, but then they always have been -
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/talktalk-youview
    For the last couple of years they've averaged out at about £35-£40.
    Humax boxes come in around £60-£70 and the 4K Ultra at about £100. All without a warranty, of course.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xyouview+...
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Paul SimpsonPaul Simpson Member Posts: 1
    edited 14 April 2017, 4:13PM
    jimb said:

Sanj could you please tell us if there is any significant functional difference between this release and the TalkTalk release?

I agree with others that the option for a 'list' view would be great and that the new picture galleries is a retrograde step. In this mode, it would be slightly more palatable if you could go from the final page, back to the first with a single button press.
    edited 14 March 2017, 11:26PM
    Visionman said:

Bump.

Another bump.
    edited 14 March 2017, 11:26PM
    Visionman said:

Bump.

Another bump.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 April 2017, 8:50AM
    Visionman said:

Bump.

Why are we still discussing 27.45.0, when 27.46.0 has been released, bringing many of the massive improvements we are waiting for, on the promised two-week cycle?

Oh wait, it didn't.

But I think there's a place where at least we now thankfully see only the regulation four dots instead of five, as we chug back endlessly to the latest unwatched episode in a Series of twenty or more, being too scared to delete the ones we've watched, lest YouView's 'Series Handling Improvement Technology' kicks in and solves the scrollback problem by deleting the whole Series instead :-)
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • NANA Member Posts: 1
    edited 14 April 2017, 4:14PM
    jimb said:

Sanj could you please tell us if there is any significant functional difference between this release and the TalkTalk release?

The new MyTV section is a disaster, and cannot have reasonably passed any genuine customer survey. The screen is a jumbled mess of icons overwritten with truncated program titles. It's hopeless! And why did they not provide an *option* to choose the much better list view? YouView has just ruined my Humax box without any consultation with me. And why oh why does the Y button not show me my list of recordings FIRST instead of the guide, for which there is already a dedicated button?  The YouView designers are inept.
  • bernard.farrbernard.farr Member Posts: 8
    jimb said:

Yes, yes, yes.

Humax, please be humble and sort out this great mess. You have not treated your customers fairly in My View!
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 506 ✭✭
    edited 15 March 2017, 10:31AM
    jimb said:

It's nothing to do with Humax, they are faultless in this. It's all down to Youview
  • Stuart GroomStuart Groom Member Posts: 8
    jimb said:

Agree that at first glance my view is a disaster! Very much a step backwards!
  • Richard WRichard W Member Posts: 5
    edited 10 April 2017, 11:33PM
    I have just found this forum and have joined to add my concerns regarding this Youview update.  I have no technical background in this area so my comments are purely as an end user.

My wife and I are in our late 40s/early 50s and have a Humax DTR T1010 purchased two years ago, as a private retail purchase.  We do not use any tv subscription package.  My mother is in her late 70s and has two Humax DTR T2000 units bought one year ago, having liked the on screen layout and usability based on friends and relatives who also had the same model.  Both of my mother’s units have updated to the new format under discussion.  She also does not have any tv subscription package (and has no intention of having such at any time) and the units were also bought as private retail purchases.  We both have a BT Broadband connection.  We have already disconnected our older model from the internet as a pre-emptive measure against the future role out of this update, but the changes have been highly unwelcome, and most importantly very problematic, for my mother, who has been left in a very difficult position.

We initially spoke with Humax who are not interested.  We have also spoken with Youview customer support and a case file has apparently been opened, although we have little hope of any answers to our concerns.

These points will, inevitably, echo those already raised.

Our overwhelming concern is the change from list view to thumbnail for Recordings.  My mother finds this almost impossible to use or understand.  The programmes titles are no longer easy to read, with a combination of the picture background and the truncated text, and the thumbnail selection is difficult to navigate.  This has largely removed all functionality from the Recordings for my mother, who lives alone and relies heavily on her television and her ability to record and view programmes.  She is naturally very upset.  Taken further and as raised earlier in this thread, although my mother is not visually impaired, we wonder if this change is even DDA compliant, but certainly have general concerns for the elderly.  It is astonishing that a list view option was not preserved.

We share my my mother’s concerns in this regard and for that reason alone have disconnected out own unit from the internet as a precaution.

And then there are the other, not insignificant, issues.  BT Branding is unwelcome, uninvited, and intrusive.  Like many people, we try to reduce all unwanted advertising as far as possible and this is little different.  There are other annoyances like the menu which now appears on start up each time, the problems (again with Recordings) finding and playing episodes from a multi episode recording, and odd redundancies that are misleading such as options to Play and Delete (and Lock) beneath the episodes thumbnails when the first two of these have no additional purpose beyond simply clicking on the episode or pressing delete on the remote control (which, incidentally, does not have an ‘X’ button).

But to repeat, our main concern is the loss of the list view for Recordings.  My mother may yet have no option but to discard two units that are only a year old, and at a cost that she can ill afford, look at alternatives (perhaps even an older reconditioned model that can be kept unconnected from the internet?).  Notwithstanding any small print that may purport to allow Youview to do this, it surely is not right that Youview have been able to impose this degree of change, without any warning or option to roll back or revert to the old view.  My mother no longer has the product she purchased. 

We will continue raising this issue with Youview, and are considering taking legal advice.

Richard W
  • Sue LeightonSue Leighton Member Posts: 24
    edited 16 March 2017, 8:49AM
    Richard W said:

I have just found this forum and have joined to add my concerns regarding this Youview update.  I have no technical background in this area so my comments are purely as an end user.

My wife and I are in our late 40s/early 50s and have a Humax DTR T1010 purchased two years ago, as a private retail purchase.  We do not use any tv subscription package.  My mother is in her late 70s and has two Humax DTR T2000 units bought one year ago, having liked the on screen layout and usability based on friends and relatives who also had the same model.  Both of my mother’s units have updated to the new format under discussion.  She also does not have any tv subscription package (and has no intention of having such at any time) and the units were also bought as private retail purchases.  We both have a BT Broadband connection.  We have already disconnected our older model from the internet as a pre-emptive measure against the future role out of this update, but the changes have been highly unwelcome, and most importantly very problematic, for my mother, who has been left in a very difficult position.

We initially spoke with Humax who are not interested.  We have also spoken with Youview customer support and a case file has apparently been opened, although we have little hope of any answers to our concerns.

Our overwhelming concern is the change from list view to thumbnail for Recordings.  My mother finds this almost impossible to use or understand.  The programmes titles are no longer easy to read, with a combination of the picture background and the truncated text, and the thumbnail selection is difficult to navigate.  This has largely removed all functionality from the Recordings for my mother, who lives alone and relies heavily on her television and her ability to record and view programmes.  She is naturally very upset.  Taken further and as raised earlier in this thread, although my mother is not visually impaired, we wonder if this change is even DDA compliant, but certainly have general concerns for the elderly.  It is astonishing that a list view option was not preserved.

We share my my mother’s concerns in this regard and for that reason alone have disconnected out own unit from the internet as a precaution.

And then there are the other, not insignificant, issues.  BT Branding is unwelcome, uninvited, and intrusive.  Like many people, we try to reduce all unwanted advertising as far as possible and this is little different.  There are other annoyances like the menu which now appears on start up each time, the problems (again with Recordings) finding and playing episodes from a multi episode recording, and odd redundancies that are misleading such as options to Play and Delete (and Lock) beneath the episodes thumbnails when the first two of these have no additional purpose beyond simply clicking on the episode or pressing delete on the remote control (which, incidentally, does not have an ‘X’ button).

But to repeat, our main concern is the loss of the list view for Recordings.  My mother may yet have no option but to discard two units that are only a year old, and at a cost that she can ill afford, look at alternatives (perhaps even an older reconditioned model that can be kept unconnected from the internet?).  Notwithstanding any small print that may purport to allow Youview to do this, it surely is not right that Youview have been able to impose this degree of change, without any warning or option to roll back or revert to the old view.  My mother no longer has the product she purchased. 

We will continue raising this issue with Youview, and are considering taking legal advice.

Richard W

Go for it Richard, I'm sure you will have many joining you, me included , in the fight. Our humax box was purchased under a year ago for the ease of use through the list view of the recordings which we use primarily over all the other functions. To replace it with unreadable tiles and inferior navigation has rendered our box virtually unusable. To not give us the option to revert or choose a list view is arrogance on the part of YouView to say the least.
  • Martin WardMartin Ward Member Posts: 69
    edited 16 March 2017, 8:50AM
    Richard W said:

Richard W

I also complained to youview customer support and had a case opened and in the first reply they very helpfully sent me a copy of the terms & conditions that they say you sign up to when you use the box, which they recon they can inflict this rubbish on us.

I say helpfully because in paragraph 8  8.1.2 If the change does not have a detrimental effect on the YouView Service you are currently receiving.

Well there you have it, this update has most definatly had a detrimental effect on the service that I was receiving from youview, so I would say they have broken there terms & conditions on that score.

Then we have the answer of well now we've updated you box there's no way on going back, sorry wrong again.

8.1.5 To upgrade and update the YouView Service from time to time, and/or 8.1.6 for technical and/or operational reasons.In some circumstances, such changes may have to be made quickly and we may have to change the YouView Service to a previous version whilst (for example) a bug or error is fixed.

Well I think we can all agree that this update is full of bugs & errors, so what's the problem of putting it back to what it was before without any bugs or errors.

So I have contacted the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 03454 04 05 06 and spoke to them and given them the office address of Youview, which is Youview TV Ltd, 10 Lower Thames Street, Third Floor, London, EC3R 6YT. and they have now passed on my complaint to Trading Standards.

I would suggest everyone does this, as one complaint to Trading Standards may not do much, but if loads of complaints about the same thing come flooding thro there doors I think they'll take notice. 
  • AndyGAndyG Member Posts: 10
    edited 15 March 2017, 7:36PM
    Richard W said:

Richard W

I fully support any legal case that can be brought against Youview. Another thought is whether any of the national papers can be pointed at the issues... especially as it is becoming very apparent that as usual in our society it is those lease able to help themselves that are being the most affected.

• Anthony DaviesAnthony Davies Member Posts: 2
    edited 6 July 2017, 4:54PM
    It's just happened on my parents T1000, I've got an unhappy mother to return home to this evening. The majority of complaints posted on here she repeated over the phone. The biggest issue being that she can't read the text.

Just wait until I tell her I can't hide any channels :-s Thanks YouView!!
  • Christina SmithChristina Smith Member Posts: 1
    edited 15 March 2017, 2:42PM

It's just happened on my parents T1000, I've got an unhappy mother to return home to this evening. The majority of complaints posted on here she repeated over the phone. The biggest issue being that she can't read the text.

You know there's a zoom button
  • Anthony DaviesAnthony Davies Member Posts: 2
    edited 16 March 2017, 12:23AM

It's not the size apparently, it's the colour. Havent seen it for myself yet but she says it's all blue now? Finds it hard to make out. Anyway never needed the zoom button before, shouldn't need it now.
  • steve23094steve23094 Member Posts: 63
    edited 15 March 2017, 4:47PM
    northern said:

Does anyone know if the background can be made plain colour in guide instead of faded picture of programme on the chanel being watched. Please and thanks

OMG! Who designed the pile of FUD MyTV interface? Who are these mythical users you claim said it improved their experience? I bet you can't find any to send over here to defend it. Truncated titles is the worst design choice ever. Surely somebody must have brought up in a meeting that this was a bad idea? So which person with no clue about user interfaces pushed this through? While you're at it, after you finish watching a show don't send the interface back to the main screen, if you have a series record you then have to go back into the series to delete the individual show. I can't believe this. Somebody at Youview has the design sensibilities of a blind person. Wait. I take that back, it's unfair to blind people.
    jimb said:

OMG! Who designed the pile of FUD MyTV interface? Who are these mythical users you claim said it improved their experience? I bet you can't find any to send over here to defend it. Truncated titles is the worst design choice ever. Surely somebody must have brought up in a meeting that this was a bad idea? So which person with no clue about user interfaces pushed this through? While you're at it... after you finish watching a show don't send the interface back to the main screen, if you have a series record you then have to go back into the series to delete the individual show. I can't believe this. Somebody at Youview has the design sensibilities of a blind person. Wait. I take that back, it's unfair to blind people.
  • Edward G PercyEdward G Percy Member Posts: 19
    edited 15 March 2017, 6:19PM
    Richard W said:

Richard W

A well put case. Would you consider an abridged version to your daily newspaper letters page where I am sure it would be taken up by many other readers and perhaps lead a news article.   
    edited 15 March 2017, 5:02PM
    jimb said:

This is surely an indication that the BT release is coming soon. And in pretty much the same state as the TalkTalk release.
    Will somebody please tell me that I've got that wrong?
    :-(

@Sue Leighton I would be willing to bet it was a joke. Lighten up.
    edited 15 March 2017, 4:56PM
    jimb said:

This is surely an indication that the BT release is coming soon. And in pretty much the same state as the TalkTalk release.
    Will somebody please tell me that I've got that wrong?
    :-(

@Sue Leighton I would be willing to get it was a joke. Lighten up.
  • Stuart GroomStuart Groom Member Posts: 8
    edited 14 April 2017, 4:15PM
    jimb said:

Just realised that! After watching a recording you have to go back into my view and then the recordings in order to delete the programme. What a farce that is!
  • Andrew15Andrew15 Member Posts: 1
    edited 14 April 2017, 4:15PM
    jimb said:

What a horrible upgrade. How do I return it to a list view instead of the pointless images? Maybe it's a ploy by Sky to kill Youview. It's working!
  • Sarah Lovelace1Sarah Lovelace1 Member Posts: 28
    edited 15 March 2017, 8:46PM
    jimb said:

Now that I see an idea I hadn't thought about..
  • Rob ThomasRob Thomas Member Posts: 4
    edited 17 May 2017, 10:12PM
    Visionman said:

Its unfortunately as expected...  
    I've had a pop around the internet and there are quite a few other forum users reading this thread, noting the various reactions ranging from 'I've had it for months and its OK'  to the  'ARRRGH!! My world has caved in! PUT IT BACK!!!'.
    Strangely though, there have been no comments on other forums about it, only this one.
    I wonder if bob got sorted? 

Got the update today and hate the mytv bit - totally impractical to use. This site came pretty much top of a Google search so suspect that's reason for focus when people unexpectedly have their you view box trashed by 'upgrade'. Please at least allow list option for myview, or allow users to roll back upgrade
  • jon pollardjon pollard Member Posts: 1
    edited 4 April 2017, 3:52PM

I thought BT machines were going to be next.
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/humax-software-update-27-45-0

Chris (Lincoln, UK)

Please make an option to view recorded programmes as a simple text list. Current view is unusable.