For new members to the forum . . . have you also raised your concerns, if you have any, about the 27

Neil LeacyNeil Leacy Member Posts: 4
edited 11 August 2017, 5:04PM in Discussion
 I came straight to this forum through a web-search and used it to let off steam about my disappointment with the update. But from reading the various threads I realised the one thing I hadn't done was complain direct to YouView.

Therefore, if you haven't done so already, can I suggest to other new forum members like me that you also email them using the contact page at https://support.youview.com/contact-us. I'm now enjoying the forum and waiting for a direct response from the developers.

Comments

• Bill CBill C Member Posts: 6
    edited 28 March 2017, 9:35AM
    I have just got a reply from You View and it is obvious they have no regrets doing the upgrade and we must put up with it. The reply also listed the legal technicalities we agreed to when we first switched on the box and basically they can do what they like and as a customer we should just get on with it.
  • Neil LeacyNeil Leacy Member Posts: 4
    edited 12 March 2017, 9:17AM
    Well, that is disappointing.  Very disappointing.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 March 2017, 3:30PM
    Bill C said:

I have just got a reply from You View and it is obvious they have no regrets doing the upgrade and we must put up with it. The reply also listed the legal technicalities we agreed to when we first switched on the box and basically they can do what they like and as a customer we should just get on with it.

Hi Bill - are you able and willing to share the content of that reply on this thread as I expect it would be useful for all to see :)
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 March 2017, 11:24PM
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    I believe it should also be noted that this forum, in terms of a clear linear progression of comments, is in far more chaos than the box. Indeed, it is at the moment almost (if not completely) impossible to follow. What chance YouView?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Andrew CAndrew C Member Posts: 47
    edited 12 March 2017, 1:53PM
    Bill C said:

Just thought I would copy this in here from another thread on the forum, Where I was told it was all in the T&C's and there was nothing I could do.
    Under the "Consumer Rights Act 1 October 2015" and earlier versions CCA etc,if i was to purchase a product for a childs room with the express promise (verbal and documented) that said product was child friendly with full parental locks and the abitility to restrict access (hide/remove) to "adult content". And then said company forced a change to said product within it's still functioning lifetime, which removed said functionality, rendering the purchase "not fit for purpose or advatised use".
    After being told I would never win...? against YV
    I don't have to (in your words) "get YV done" The terms and conditions from YV and their update clause cover terms of service, and are not anything to do with the CRA1. Which in this case, effects the description of goods at POS.

YV hold the right to change the TOS (terms of service) in this case the loss of functionality, but equaly I hold the right not to agree with the change and void the usage agreement. Nothing to do with the current issue.

Terms of service/usage are not anything to do with the CRA1. Which in this case, effects the description of goods at POS. (T&C/TOS are not above retail law).

I spoke to "the retailer" and explained the situation and they have offered a refund for the one box due to it (in their words) "no longer being fit for the purpose it was sold for". (as per the CRA1).
    TL:DR If you feel that via this update, YV has removed features and fuctions that you based your purchase on at POS (point of sale), then YV have "Via none optional update or service change, caused the loss of functionality for which the item was purchased for at POS. As such the purchase "is no longer fit for the purpose it was sold for", and the customer can return the item (within it's reasonable lifetime (not just it's warrenty period)) as such, under retail law.

Never let companies tell you T&C's & TOS are above retail law, because they are not.
    edited 12 March 2017, 4:15PM
    Bill C - will you please post the email reply sent to you as it would be helpful for all to see.
  • Bill CBill C Member Posts: 6
    edited 11 August 2017, 5:04PM
    This is the reply as requested.

Bill C

Hi Bill,

Thank you for contacting YouView Support. 

I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing issues with the new software update; I can certainly understand how frustrating this may be for you.

Once the YouView box has received the new software update there is no way to revert back to the previous version, we are updating all boxes going forward.

Here at YouView we really do appreciate viewer feedback and rest assured I have raised your concerns with our development team about the next generation software.

I do understand that the update is a big aesthetic change which at first can take some getting used to.

Your concerns have been raised by some of our YouViewers but we have also had contact from others that really like the new interface. The new software makes it possible to make changed quicker than before, so if there is a demand for any changes going forward we can implement them in a matter of weeks, rather than months like the older software.

When you first turn your YouView box on, you will be met with a ‘Terms of Use’ section during the setup. This page contains legal information in regards to updating your YouView service.  You can find this information on paragraph 8 onwards.

8.0 Changes to the YouView service.

8.1 Necessary changes; we may make changes to the YouView service:

8.1.1 As a result of legal or regulatory requirements.

8.1.2 If the change does not have a detrimental effect on the YouView Service you are currently receiving.

8.1.3 Where it is necessary to do so to fix any “bugs” or errors.

8.1.4 For reasons relating to security of the YouView Service.

8.1.5 To upgrade and update the YouView Service from time to time, and/or 8.1.6 for technical and/or operational reasons.

In some circumstances, such changes may have to be made quickly and we may have to change the YouView Service to a previous version whilst (for example) a bug or error is fixed. Some functionality and/or features may be lost during this time but we will try to fix and restore all functionality and/or features as quickly as possible and we will not be liable to you for any such period of lost functionality and/or features.

8.2 Improvements to the YouView service: We are always looking for ways to improve the YouView Service, and we may make such improvements from time to time. These improvements might include, amongst other things:

8.2.1 Adding new features.

8.2.2 Removing any features that are not working properly.

8.2.3 Changing certain technical specifications.

8.2.4 Embedding digital rights management protection to enable content providers to protect their Content, and/or 8.2.5 making other changes that are necessary to improve the YouView Service.

8.3 YouView Software upgrades and updates; We will make the changes describes in paragraphs 8.1 and 8.2 above through software upgrades and updates, which will be delivered to you via your broadband connections. You will not be able to decline any software upgrade or update relating to a change described in paragraphs 8.1 or 8.2.

8.4 Third party software upgrades and updates; Your YouView device contains software of third parties such as content providers and the manufacturer of your YouView device. These third parties may upgrade and update their software from time to time. We are not responsible for any such upgrades or updates.

All of the information found above, was agreed when you first set up your YouView service.

If you have any further problems, you can reply directly to this email. Alternatively, you can give us a call on 0333 313 2278 and ask for Jamie. We are open 10:00-20:00 Monday to Saturday and 10:00-17:00 on a Sunday. 

Kind regards, 
    Jamie,
    YouView Support Team
    ref:_00Db0KOT8._500b012QRDh:ref
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭
    edited 15 March 2017, 7:47PM
    Bill C said:

Bill C

Hi Bill,

I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing issues with the new software update; I can certainly understand how frustrating this may be for you.

Once the YouView box has received the new software update there is no way to revert back to the previous version, we are updating all boxes going forward.

Here at YouView we really do appreciate viewer feedback and rest assured I have raised your concerns with our development team about the next generation software.

I do understand that the update is a big aesthetic change which at first can take some getting used to.

Your concerns have been raised by some of our YouViewers but we have also had contact from others that really like the new interface. The new software makes it possible to make changed quicker than before, so if there is a demand for any changes going forward we can implement them in a matter of weeks, rather than months like the older software.

When you first turn your YouView box on, you will be met with a ‘Terms of Use’ section during the setup. This page contains legal information in regards to updating your YouView service.  You can find this information on paragraph 8 onwards.

8.1.2 If the change does not have a detrimental effect on the YouView Service you are currently receiving.

8.1.5 To upgrade and update the YouView Service from time to time, and/or 8.1.6 for technical and/or operational reasons.

In some circumstances, such changes may have to be made quickly and we may have to change the YouView Service to a previous version whilst (for example) a bug or error is fixed. Some functionality and/or features may be lost during this time but we will try to fix and restore all functionality and/or features as quickly as possible and we will not be liable to you for any such period of lost functionality and/or features.

8.2 Improvements to the YouView service: We are always looking for ways to improve the YouView Service, and we may make such improvements from time to time. These improvements might include, amongst other things:

8.2.4 Embedding digital rights management protection to enable content providers to protect their Content, and/or 8.2.5 making other changes that are necessary to improve the YouView Service.

8.3 YouView Software upgrades and updates; We will make the changes describes in paragraphs 8.1 and 8.2 above through software upgrades and updates, which will be delivered to you via your broadband connections. You will not be able to decline any software upgrade or update relating to a change described in paragraphs 8.1 or 8.2.

8.4 Third party software upgrades and updates; Your YouView device contains software of third parties such as content providers and the manufacturer of your YouView device. These third parties may upgrade and update their software from time to time. We are not responsible for any such upgrades or updates.

All of the information found above, was agreed when you first set up your YouView service.

If you have any further problems, you can reply directly to this email. Alternatively, you can give us a call on 0333 313 2278 and ask for Jamie. We are open 10:00-20:00 Monday to Saturday and 10:00-17:00 on a Sunday. 

Kind regards, 
    Jamie,
    YouView Support Team

Well, they blew 8.1.2

So YouView are breaking their own TOS if they foist NextGen on anyone who doesn't want it, and they don't have the right to do this.
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • Jonson1Jonson1 Member Posts: 9
    edited 15 March 2017, 7:31PM
    I contacted youview support by email to complain about the nextgen software. I got a phone call from a very nice polite chap. The upshot was:
    - My complaints have been forwarded to the relevant department.
    - Hide channels and discovery are on the way back
    - No plans currently to re-instate list view in Mytv, but taking feedback on-board.
    - Section 8.1.2 of their terms of use have not been breached, because apparently, if the service has reduced functionality and use-ability this doesn't matter as long as a service is still being provided. Which quite frankly I find to be ridiculous, and likely just an attempt to fob me off. This update is the very definition of being detrimental to the service.
    Ho hum.
  • chris marshallchris marshall Member Posts: 6
    edited 15 March 2017, 7:30PM
    Everyone please email your annoyance to Youview and ask for a contact in the legal department to escalate this to. These major changes should be optional and not forced as they reduce the usability of the product. Whatever they claim, their Ts & Cs dos not allow them to do this.   They should roll back the software and develop an optional user interface change.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    Came out of hibernation to see the YouView box has finally updated to NextGen.  I did apply to trial it, but after the initial posts were saying what a disaster it was, I decided to hang on to the 'old-gen', which I had come to know and love!!?? as long as possible rather than dive into the probably undesirable future any quicker than I had to.

Obviously the same team who developed the original interface are in charge. Illogical and unfriendly or what?  It's all been said by others - can't be bothered ranting any more. Great potential product ruined. The single plus point to NextGen seems to be that they can implement reductions in functionality quicker now that it has been rewritten. Probably my last post on this forum, as I'm sure NOTHING that is posted here affects ANYTHING at all. Never has, and never will. Total waste of time. Bye all.
    edited 15 March 2017, 1:44PM
    Visionman said:

I believe it should also be noted that this forum, in terms of a clear linear progression of comments, is in far more chaos than the box. Indeed, it is at the moment almost (if not completely) impossible to follow. What chance YouView?

I wasn't aware YouView followed the forum. I've seen no evidence of it.
    edited 15 March 2017, 1:46PM
    Visionman said:

Nah your right. Was your other comment your second to last post CW?
    But your right my friend. I can't be bothered either...
    edited 15 March 2017, 1:51PM
    Visionman said:

Chuckles - saw your post AFTER I'd slung my hook, Visionman, and couldn't resist replying.... Great to have jousted with you in the past, and Roy and Keith, amongst others. Oh - how naively optimistic I was 5 years ago..... and persistent in my efforts. All for nought, alas.
  • steve23094steve23094 Member Posts: 63
    edited 15 March 2017, 4:46PM
    Bill C said:

Bill C

Hi Bill,

Kind regards, 
    Jamie,
    YouView Support Team

Standard consumer law always takes precedence over cookie cutter TOS agreements. Likewise a contract can be found to be invalid if the terms are onerous.
  • Paul NormanPaul Norman Member Posts: 39
    edited 15 March 2017, 7:33PM
    Bill C said:

Bill C

Hi Bill,

Kind regards, 
    Jamie,
    YouView Support Team

Well my daughter turned on the box and obviously accepted the terms of use which means as under 18 I guess is he legally can't do. I want the old software back!
  • UrsaUrsa Member Posts: 78
    edited 15 March 2017, 8:28PM
    response to my email to YV Support asking how to opt out of Next Gen:-

Thank you for contacting the YouView Suppoert Team.

The new user interface has gone through a very large change in the look and feel. I think that once you do have it and have used it you will find it much quicker and easier to navigate.

There are some teething issues that will need to be worked out but in general the feed back that we have received has been very positive. The list view not being available in MyTV has been one of the few issues that has been brought to our attention.

At this time I do not know what might be planned for future updates. 

You’ve asked if it is possible to opt out of this upgrade? I am sorry but it is not possible to opt out. This upgrade as you have seen is being rolled out in stages and I would not be able to advise when you would expect to receive it.

WATLOB !!!
  • Jon BarnesJon Barnes Member Posts: 5
    edited 17 March 2017, 3:20AM
    Bill C said:

Fortunately I paid for my Humax box by credit card - so will claim off the credit card company. The titles of recorded programmes are now not legible and the changes mean that the pictures (descriptions) on the original Humax box and in the instruction leaflet no longer  match what you see on screen as a result of this "update".