When is my BT box being updated?

Malcolm Nichol2Malcolm Nichol2 Member Posts: 9
edited 16 March 2017, 8:13AM in Support
I have two youview box's one retail box which updated today but my BT provided DTR2100 is still the old system. From what I read I thought BT box,s were being updated first. When are the BT box's being updated please?

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭
    edited 15 March 2017, 8:38PM
    BT haven't announced a release date yet, Malcolm.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Malcolm Nichol2Malcolm Nichol2 Member Posts: 9
    edited 15 March 2017, 9:04PM
    Cheers, read a article in Jan which said the BT box's were going to be first to update? Must have gone by the wayside. Seen a lot of complaints about the new system. On my retail box it looks good? Cannot see what the problem is???????
    edited 15 March 2017, 9:01PM

Cheers, read a article in Jan which said the BT box's were going to be first to update? Must have gone by the wayside. Seen a lot of complaints about the new system. On my retail box it looks good? Cannot see what the problem is???????

The updates are being rolled out in stages, model by model, platform by platform, thats all.
    edited 15 March 2017, 9:04PM

Thanks 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,214 ✭✭✭
    edited 15 March 2017, 11:03PM
    Hi Malcolm

If you don't hide channels, never use Discover, don't make lots of recordings, especially Series recordings, can keep track of what a recording must be by looking at the thumbnail and/or the truncated text, don't keep tipping into Scheduled when you think you are in Recordings, dont mind dipping down about three levels deep to play a recording and then being thrown out to live TV when that recording has finished so you have to claw your way back to where you were, especially in a Series, don't mind the ongoing programme flickering indistinctly in the background of what you are trying to read instead of being a neat little mini TV top right, don't mind lots of things taking 1-3 keypresses more than they used to, don't mind not being able to jump into a programme at 30 minutes just by typing 30 and having to fast forward very slowly to that point on a TV programme, and not at all on a radio one where FF does not work, enjoy black bars covering the first few tens of seconds of what you are trying to watch, never try to scroll into the 7-800s by going up,from BBC1 on the EPG, don't miss being reminded that there is an HD version when you choose an SD one, and never fall foul of the hundred-odd bugs waiting to be fixed on NewCoke - well, then, yes it's great.

I guess........
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
    edited 15 March 2017, 11:03PM
    Roy1 said:

Hi Malcolm

If you don't hide channels, never use Discover, don't make lots of recordings, especially Series recordings, can keep track of what a recording must be by looking at the thumbnail and/or the truncated text, don't keep tipping into Scheduled when you think you are in Recordings, dont mind dipping down about three levels deep to play a recording and then being thrown out to live TV when that recording has finished so you have to claw your way back to where you were, especially in a Series, don't mind the ongoing programme flickering indistinctly in the background of what you are trying to read instead of being a neat little mini TV top right, don't mind lots of things taking 1-3 keypresses more than they used to, don't mind not being able to jump into a programme at 30 minutes just by typing 30 and having to fast forward very slowly to that point on a TV programme, and not at all on a radio one where FF does not work, enjoy black bars covering the first few tens of seconds of what you are trying to watch, never try to scroll into the 7-800s by going up,from BBC1 on the EPG, don't miss being reminded that there is an HD version when you choose an SD one, and never fall foul of the hundred-odd bugs waiting to be fixed on NewCoke - well, then, yes it's great.

I guess........

Burp....
    edited 16 March 2017, 8:13AM
    Roy what I don't like is standing still change is always inevitable. It may take a while to get right? But that said it would have been nice if everyone had been given a choice?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,214 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 March 2017, 10:05AM

Roy what I don't like is standing still change is always inevitable. It may take a while to get right? But that said it would have been nice if everyone had been given a choice?

YouView have never been very big on user choice, especially in the matter of declining updates.

If you think change is inevitable, just ask the people who introduced New Coke, now just a distant hiccup (or burp, as Visionman eructates) in the company's history, which they would much prefer to see forgotten.

But change is supposed to be for the better, otherwise why make it?

YouView was like a house built on shaky foundations, and re-architecting it from Flash to HTML5 was the right thing to do, and a brave thing to do, which I heartily approve of.

But what they have done since is to make us all move back into the house, Bovis style, before all the internal walls floors and ceilings are back, the electricity does not yet reach the first floor, only half the bathrooms have running water, and when you leave many of the rooms you find yourself, rather to your surprise, outside in the street.

And all the nice magnolia walls have been repainted in garish colours.

And yes, it will take a while to get right, for some value of 'right' that may still not satisfy everybody; but on present showing, I can't see that before some date in 2018, if then.
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!