[Discussion] Humax software update 27.46.0

Comments

• Paul Owens3Paul Owens3 Member Posts: 13
    edited 28 March 2017, 10:35AM
    Well, you don't change Horseman mid-Apocalypse.
  • johnnoprobjohnnoprob Member Posts: 5
    edited 12 April 2017, 8:32PM

It's very disappointing that no-one from YouView is responding to all these comments. Presumably you set up this thread because you intended to read what people have to say about the software change (I don't think we should call this an "upgrade"). It really should be clear to you by now that:

- The change has been a disaster. Customer response is overwhelmingly negative. To the extent you did any consultation/research before implementing this change then it was sadly inadequate. If a small bunch of people told you this was a "good idea" then the likelihood is they were secretly working for Sky.

- The customers are not simply a bunch of conservative philistines resistant to any sort of change. We like change if it is an improvement, but people don't like this because it is materially worse than what went before. The comparison to Windows 8 is spot on.

- It's so bad that it will threaten the ongoing popularity of YouView. I chose it after careful thought because it was the best platform. This is no longer the case. You can't afford to behave like this when others are upping their game.

Please could someone from YouView respond to all these comments and confirm when and how we can reverse this change and get back the platform which had virtually nothing wrong with it?

I have just turned on my Humax box to find that the software has been trashed and the UI designed for and by an illiterate moron. I second the detailed negative comments, in particular the absence of LIST view. Not everone wants Smartphone ICON interfaces - it is not a touch screen device.
  • SieskaSieska Member Posts: 5
    edited 2 April 2017, 9:06PM

It's very disappointing that no-one from YouView is responding to all these comments. Presumably you set up this thread because you intended to read what people have to say about the software change (I don't think we should call this an "upgrade"). It really should be clear to you by now that:

- The change has been a disaster. Customer response is overwhelmingly negative. To the extent you did any consultation/research before implementing this change then it was sadly inadequate. If a small bunch of people told you this was a "good idea" then the likelihood is they were secretly working for Sky.

- The customers are not simply a bunch of conservative philistines resistant to any sort of change. We like change if it is an improvement, but people don't like this because it is materially worse than what went before. The comparison to Windows 8 is spot on.

- It's so bad that it will threaten the ongoing popularity of YouView. I chose it after careful thought because it was the best platform. This is no longer the case. You can't afford to behave like this when others are upping their game.

Please could someone from YouView respond to all these comments and confirm when and how we can reverse this change and get back the platform which had virtually nothing wrong with it?

the posting rate has risen by about 400% compared to pre-launch"
    reminds me of the story of the couple whose child never speaks a word until when he was 8 years old, he had a Strudel, and said "It is a little tepid."

His parents were amazed that he was suddenly speaking, and asked: " why have you never spoken before?", to which the child replied: "Up until now, everything has been satisfactory."

• AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 March 2017, 3:28PM
    Denise2 said:

I've just signed up so that I can say how much I hate this update. There really is nothing about it that's an improvement.

I'm a complete technophobe so this might be a stupid question, but bear with me; I'm thinking of sacrificing my recorded programmes and doing a factory reset - if I do this then disconnect from the internet would I get back to the original list layout on MyTV?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Stephen Said
     it's on a NAND Flash chip
    God bless Toshiba!

But I'd have thought it would have been on a NOR (full addressing and data buses.) like most firmware is.

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • john murphyjohn murphy Member Posts: 14
    edited 16 March 2017, 3:29PM
    Denise2 said:

I've just signed up so that I can say how much I hate this update. There really is nothing about it that's an improvement.

I'm a complete technophobe so this might be a stupid question, but bear with me; I'm thinking of sacrificing my recorded programmes and doing a factory reset - if I do this then disconnect from the internet would I get back to the original list layout on MyTV?

Stephen (YouView Techie)
    In light of all these negative comments, can you say whether YouView are having a rethink, or will that only happen if/when finances are hit via a drop in sales ?
  • The WeathermanThe Weatherman Member Posts: 29
    edited 16 March 2017, 3:45PM
    Tim C said:

Bad news people. BT just announced they're rolling this heap of garbage out to the G4 & G5 boxes :-(

Well BT can't say they weren't warned once their service desk melts down under the strain of complaints.....
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 318 ✭✭
    edited 16 March 2017, 3:51PM
    Denise2 said:

And speaking of finances it will be interesting (In my opinion) when youview publish the last 12 months investment cost.

Hopefuly viewable at
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07308805/filing-history

If any one looks at the Full accounts made up to 31 March 2016 showed a marked increase compared to the year before.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 March 2017, 3:54PM
    Tim C said:

Bad news people. BT just announced they're rolling this heap of garbage out to the G4 & G5 boxes :-(

Tim can I suggest that you start a new thread about this. It's very big news.
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 March 2017, 6:45PM
    Denise2 said:

@john: I'm not directly involved with discussions, but the various concerns about next gen changes being expressed here and through other channels are all being logged and collated and potential avenues to improve the experiences are being considered.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,520 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 March 2017, 8:56PM
    Now I know how King Canute felt.....
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 16 March 2017, 8:58PM

Hooray. Someone who doesn't think 'erudite' is a type of glue :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Andrew CAndrew C Member Posts: 47
    edited 16 March 2017, 9:06PM

It's a type of glue? well i never....
  • Ian Morgan2Ian Morgan2 Member Posts: 4
    edited 11 April 2017, 7:09PM
    Claire2 said:

Bit disappointed - The recordings screen with images takes far longer to navigate. For most programmes only a tiny part of the title shows up so it is hard to identify programmes if you have a large collection. With the previous version I liked that I could side click to move to the next screen. I'm also not sure what order recordings are arranged in.

Suggestions
    - settings option to choose list or thumbnail view
    - arrange by option for recordings (as in older boxes) to sort by date/title

Thank you!

true!
  • WSen90WSen90 Member Posts: 4
    edited 2 April 2017, 10:34PM
    From the comments I've read here, this new update appears to be a work-in-progress. I have used the new UI for a couple days on my Humax DTR-1010 and wish to make a few requests for the next update:

1) When exiting an App (e.g. iPlayer) or finished watching a recording, can we return to the screen we had open before entering the App or starting the recording. E.g. returning to the MyTV screen after pressing stop on a recording.

2) Can we have the capability to delete a recording from the 'mini-list' of recordings, when you've just scrolled across after pressing the Youview button.

3) I personally like the look of the tile-based MyTV recordings section but agree more text information is needed. Perhaps something similar to the iPlayer App tiles could be better (as someone has already mentioned) where more text is seen when the tile is highlighted.

I hope the developers a keeping an eye on suggested improvements, it could be a great UI with a few tweaks!
  • steve80153steve80153 Member Posts: 63
    edited 2 April 2017, 12:39PM

I am this this updater will be like big facebook update everyone says they really hate it! Give it a while, no one will ever remember what is was like before...

Nobody is going to forget anything until it's fixed. Navigating MyTV is nigh on impossible.
  • steve80153steve80153 Member Posts: 63
    edited 24 March 2017, 8:07PM

I am this this updater will be like big facebook update everyone says they really hate it! Give it a while, no one will ever remember what is was like before...

Nobody is going to forget anything until it's fixed. Navigating MyTV is nigh on impossible.
  • Steve29Steve29 Member Posts: 13
    edited 17 March 2017, 3:30AM
    Jane T said:

Like so many others here, I joined this forum specifically to express my dissatisfaction with this software update, and I think what everyone would like here is a little reassurance that something will be done to sort it out - especially the return of text lists for recordings, and sorting out  of the horrible mess that the series records now are. And I'm not getting it - it just feels like we're being told tough, we've tested it, this is what you are getting....

I've got you sussed Phil, you and your team secretly work for Virgin in a black ops project to bankrupt Humax
    edited 19 March 2017, 12:45AM

image I've just been readying an old Humax HDR Fox T2 with custom firmware against the time when, inevitably, the dreaded 'upgrade' happens to us, and I noticed that this is one of the options for listings, you can choose lists, icons, or both! What a sensible option. Bearing in mind that this is cobbled together by a small bunch of amateurs in their spare time, surely Youview could come up with similar choices? You can also have any background image or colour you want, or the TV playing, or even a slideshow of your own photos if that's what floats your boat. Brilliant stuff!
    (Not my photo by the way, camera battery flat).

Interesting to note what it's doing as well - copying a video to a flash drive :~)
    This is also a feature of the official firmware.

Good idea, but the T2 is too old, and AFAIK no net tv? i'm leaning towards putting a 28deg dish back up, and buying a Humax  HDR-1100S, not having anything to do with youview hopefully it wont get the same software crippling
    edited 17 March 2017, 3:43AM

Since my Humax DTR-T2000 box auto-updated to 27.46.0 it has begun to power up randomly in "Maintenance Mode" without being activated by the remote or box. This is the case irrespective of which power saving mode is selected. Basically , the unit is off in standby mode at night and has powered up overnight into maintenance mode in the morning. I have to select "reset software" to reset the box and turn it off again. This is a daily occurrence and is most annoying and needs to be addressed by Humax.

Sounds like the usual on the edge of hard drive failing, i bet it's got the usual unreliable  Seagate drive
  • Babs BukunolaBabs Bukunola Member Posts: 46
    edited 17 March 2017, 9:03AM

Hi zulu17 will try this when I get home but presumably it will hide all the ones that it originally hid on Damian's box? ie some which were not adult? Or maybe not 'adult enough' for his / my /our personal choice for child access?
    edited 2 April 2017, 12:40PM

No, just Adult Channels in the official Adult range.
  • John WoodcockJohn Woodcock Member Posts: 9
    edited 2 April 2017, 10:35PM
    Further problems found -

1. Does not offer alternative recordings. eg could not record on 5 as 2 other items already booked. Did not offer 5+1 although when I went there on the guide it accepted the recording. The previous version offered an alternative recording automatically.

My wife has eyesight problems and uses all the menus on zoom.  She now has the following problems:

2. When looking at MyTV, have to "unzoom" to see the entire page, which is then too small.

3. Scolling the Guide - originally, on zoom, the guide showed channels 1 - 4, and the scroll down arrow then showed the next 4 channels.  Now the guide shows channels 1 - 5 (nice and clearly, thank you), but the scroll-down arrow then shows channel 7 onwards, channel 6 is lost.  It used to take account of the zoom feature and the channels followed on in order.  Now she has to scroll down manually, a channel at a time.
  • Tim GrundeyTim Grundey Member Posts: 18
    edited 3 April 2017, 8:52PM
    Jane T said:

Like so many others here, I joined this forum specifically to express my dissatisfaction with this software update, and I think what everyone would like here is a little reassurance that something will be done to sort it out - especially the return of text lists for recordings, and sorting out  of the horrible mess that the series records now are. And I'm not getting it - it just feels like we're being told tough, we've tested it, this is what you are getting....

I also joined to express my disgust with the new interface & YV's arrogance in foisting on us with no notice or choice. Phil if updates can be put out much more quickly next week will not be too soon to restore list view & sort out series recording mess. It completely baffles me why you pushed it out in its current form.
    edited 17 March 2017, 12:51PM
    zulu17 said:

Couple of observations
    1 Holding the directional button on screens will often navigate quickly in the desired direction rather than doing multiple individual clicks.
    2 if you set the Delete Confirmation to on I believe you will get a clear indication that you are about to delete multiple episodes of a series and require you to confirm that you want to proceed.

If I remember correctly there was no confirm delete when YV first launched & it came in an update. I accidentally deleted recordings before confirm came.
    edited 17 March 2017, 12:55PM

I hate it, hate it hate it! I have autism and so does my son and we do not cope well with these sorts of changes. I work well with lists but these picture icons confuse me. I can't now jump to a section of a recording without starting at the beginning and having to fast forward through it. The bar at the bottom is too large and takes forever to disappear. I now can't sort by date or alphabet, how is this an improvement? I now can't go from page to page in recordings or scheduled without scrolling through the programs, which I lose track of because they just have a white border around them which my brain has trouble registering. Obviously no thought given to accessibility issues for people with disabilities.

Paul you can close the bar at the bottom with the back button.
  • ben2ben2 Member Posts: 16
    edited 10 May 2017, 2:24PM
    I accidentally deleted a recorded program last night due to a bug. Even more annoyingly I dont know what it was that I deleted. This is going to annoy me until I remember :(

It seems that when deleting a few things from my recorded programs the thumbnail can lag behind so even though the text may possibly be showing the actual program (who can tell, its so truncated) the thumbnail is of the last program which I have already deleted. I am not talking fast actions here. Given how sluggish the box seems now I gave it quite a while and then assumed I hadnt quite pressed the button and pressed it again. Then I saw something flash before my eyes and then again as I deleted the program after as well. The thumbnail didnt update until I had deleted it. My internet is very slow which may effect it if the thumbnail is got that way but please use a placeholder rather than showing the old image from an already deleted program !!

This is incredibly annoying.

Also, can somebody tell me how to start watching a program that you are currently recording starting from the beginning ?  I do this a lot when programs overlap. Back in the good old days (ie, 3 days ago) I would find the program through the EPG, press info, and select view recording. The info screen now shows far less in terms of options. If you tell me I have to go via myTV screen then I will move the box 1ft nearer my bin.

I also fail to see the reason why you moved the little indicator for when you change channel to the bottom left, while in tv watching mode this is. It is really easy to miss if somebody accidentally switches channel with their posterior. Change for the sake of change confuses people who get used to things. Given the delay between pressing the button and changing channel the indicator should be nice and obvious IMO.

I am really not looking forward to supporting the people who bought boxes based on my recommendations. I taught them the ins and outs in the first place because I recommended youview and loved the way it worked. Luckily none have updated yet.
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 318 ✭✭
    edited 17 March 2017, 1:33PM

Further problems found -

1. Does not offer alternative recordings. eg could not record on 5 as 2 other items already booked. Did not offer 5+1 although when I went there on the guide it accepted the recording. The previous version offered an alternative recording automatically.

My wife has eyesight problems and uses all the menus on zoom.  She now has the following problems:

2. When looking at MyTV, have to "unzoom" to see the entire page, which is then too small.

3. Scolling the Guide - originally, on zoom, the guide showed channels 1 - 4, and the scroll down arrow then showed the next 4 channels.  Now the guide shows channels 1 - 5 (nice and clearly, thank you), but the scroll-down arrow then shows channel 7 onwards, channel 6 is lost.  It used to take account of the zoom feature and the channels followed on in order.  Now she has to scroll down manually, a channel at a time.

On my Sony TV I have the picture set (via the Sony menus) to 'full pixel'.  This means I can see almost all of the 6th row when zoomed, albeit with the bottom of 'g' and 'y's cut of.
    Not ideal but if your TV has a similar setting it may be a work around until this is fixed.  Obviously it should not be neccessary to adjust the TV from its normal setting.

What an odd behaviour.  The onscreen initial message shows that youview are aware of having to unzoom to move focus, but as you point out that is hardly  practical unless you don't need the zoom in the first place.

Hopefully a change for this is already on the youview backlog.

I was expecting to be able to zoom back in after moving focus but it just zooms to the previous position. Even if it did work as I was expecting that would still not be very practical. 
    Apart from having a list view can you think of a practical usefull solution?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 May 2017, 2:24PM
    "Can somebody tell me how to start watching a program that you are currently recording starting from the beginning ?"
    Yes, enter My TV, flick down, press enter.  
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 March 2017, 1:52PM
    "You moved the little indicator for when you change channel to the bottom left. It is really easy to miss if somebody accidentally switches channel with their posterior."
    Generally speaking, the programme your watching changes.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • ben2ben2 Member Posts: 16
    edited 17 March 2017, 2:01PM
    Visionman said:

"Can somebody tell me how to start watching a program that you are currently recording starting from the beginning ?"
    Yes, enter My TV, flick down, press enter.  

Thanks Visionman, Yeah, I guess everything is meant to be done via myTv now. Given I will always be in the EPG when I spot a program I want to watch from the beginning its annoying that it has been moved to the sluggish awkward area.