[Discussion] Humax software update 27.45.0

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭
    edited 15 March 2017, 9:03PM
    Rob3 said:

Interesting that Next Gen has  been released to retail before BT. I like it, have been a trialist for a couple of months and apart from some minor niggles already identified by Keith I think it is an improvement overall. Hopefully we will see further enhancements  in the coming months and some of the long awaited features can now be added.

Shussse, you can't say that around here...
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Sarah HilsleySarah Hilsley Member Posts: 1
    edited 11 August 2017, 5:04PM
    I sat down this evening to watch some recorded TV and was confronted by this god awful mess of visual clutter and half headings! WTF!

I don't normally bother reviewing things, but I feel so strongly about this that I felt I had to. I'm sure there are many hidden benefits to the software update in terms of speed etc, but whoever thought this new interface would be an improvement is delusional. Just because icons are how Virgin and Sky are doing it, doesn't make it right, or better, or easier. 

What the hell is wrong with a nice, easy to read list, running from top to bottom in chronological order? I'm a designer, with good visual comprehension, and find these pages a visual assault. As someone else pointed out - why on earth would I want the primary identifier of a program to be a picture of something I haven't seen yet? Oh, and let's support that with half a title!

Please give me back a simple linear list view - with a full title, so I know what it is!
  • Jonathan ArnoldJonathan Arnold Member Posts: 4
    edited 16 March 2017, 5:12PM
    The geeks and sycophants who work for Youview wouldn't dare to challenge the powers that be but this AWFUL update must be binned. Simply, if it isn't, thousands of Youview boxes will be binned instead. At least give users the choice of views in settings.
  • Babs BukunolaBabs Bukunola Member Posts: 46
    edited 16 March 2017, 4:43AM

It's just happened on my parents T1000, I've got an unhappy mother to return home to this evening. The majority of complaints posted on here she repeated over the phone. The biggest issue being that she can't read the text.

Just wait until I tell her I can't hide any channels :-s Thanks YouView!!

She's not alone. I suspect I'm younger than her and I can't read it properly either nor reasonably make out the highlight 'halo' in record library.
    edited 15 March 2017, 10:27PM

It's just happened on my parents T1000, I've got an unhappy mother to return home to this evening. The majority of complaints posted on here she repeated over the phone. The biggest issue being that she can't read the text.

Just wait until I tell her I can't hide any channels :-s Thanks YouView!!

What do you mean?
    edited 15 March 2017, 10:31PM

The geeks and sycophants who work for Youview wouldn't dare to challenge the powers that be but this AWFUL update must be binned. Simply, if it isn't, thousands of Youview boxes will be binned instead. At least give users the choice of views in settings.

"Geeks and sycophants."

Your a disgrace.
  • Jonathan ArnoldJonathan Arnold Member Posts: 4
    edited 16 March 2017, 7:53AM

You're. Punctuation matters
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 March 2017, 8:30AM
    Richard W said:

I have just found this forum and have joined to add my concerns regarding this Youview update.  I have no technical background in this area so my comments are purely as an end user.

My wife and I are in our late 40s/early 50s and have a Humax DTR T1010 purchased two years ago, as a private retail purchase.  We do not use any tv subscription package.  My mother is in her late 70s and has two Humax DTR T2000 units bought one year ago, having liked the on screen layout and usability based on friends and relatives who also had the same model.  Both of my mother’s units have updated to the new format under discussion.  She also does not have any tv subscription package (and has no intention of having such at any time) and the units were also bought as private retail purchases.  We both have a BT Broadband connection.  We have already disconnected our older model from the internet as a pre-emptive measure against the future role out of this update, but the changes have been highly unwelcome, and most importantly very problematic, for my mother, who has been left in a very difficult position.

We initially spoke with Humax who are not interested.  We have also spoken with Youview customer support and a case file has apparently been opened, although we have little hope of any answers to our concerns.

These points will, inevitably, echo those already raised.

Our overwhelming concern is the change from list view to thumbnail for Recordings.  My mother finds this almost impossible to use or understand.  The programmes titles are no longer easy to read, with a combination of the picture background and the truncated text, and the thumbnail selection is difficult to navigate.  This has largely removed all functionality from the Recordings for my mother, who lives alone and relies heavily on her television and her ability to record and view programmes.  She is naturally very upset.  Taken further and as raised earlier in this thread, although my mother is not visually impaired, we wonder if this change is even DDA compliant, but certainly have general concerns for the elderly.  It is astonishing that a list view option was not preserved.

We share my my mother’s concerns in this regard and for that reason alone have disconnected out own unit from the internet as a precaution.

And then there are the other, not insignificant, issues.  BT Branding is unwelcome, uninvited, and intrusive.  Like many people, we try to reduce all unwanted advertising as far as possible and this is little different.  There are other annoyances like the menu which now appears on start up each time, the problems (again with Recordings) finding and playing episodes from a multi episode recording, and odd redundancies that are misleading such as options to Play and Delete (and Lock) beneath the episodes thumbnails when the first two of these have no additional purpose beyond simply clicking on the episode or pressing delete on the remote control (which, incidentally, does not have an ‘X’ button).

But to repeat, our main concern is the loss of the list view for Recordings.  My mother may yet have no option but to discard two units that are only a year old, and at a cost that she can ill afford, look at alternatives (perhaps even an older reconditioned model that can be kept unconnected from the internet?).  Notwithstanding any small print that may purport to allow Youview to do this, it surely is not right that Youview have been able to impose this degree of change, without any warning or option to roll back or revert to the old view.  My mother no longer has the product she purchased. 

We will continue raising this issue with Youview, and are considering taking legal advice.

Richard W

While not disagreeing with the points above, I do want to point out in fairness that Humax just make the boxes the YouView software runs on, and it is that software which has changed, something over which Humax have no control, and which they have no power to remedy.

So blaming Humax, or expecting any redress from them is a bit like blaming Dell or Lenovo for Windows 8, when Microsoft, like YouView here, is the perp :-(
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • Steve HollandSteve Holland Member Posts: 30
    edited 16 March 2017, 12:43AM
    Richard W said:

I have just found this forum and have joined to add my concerns regarding this Youview update.  I have no technical background in this area so my comments are purely as an end user.

My wife and I are in our late 40s/early 50s and have a Humax DTR T1010 purchased two years ago, as a private retail purchase.  We do not use any tv subscription package.  My mother is in her late 70s and has two Humax DTR T2000 units bought one year ago, having liked the on screen layout and usability based on friends and relatives who also had the same model.  Both of my mother’s units have updated to the new format under discussion.  She also does not have any tv subscription package (and has no intention of having such at any time) and the units were also bought as private retail purchases.  We both have a BT Broadband connection.  We have already disconnected our older model from the internet as a pre-emptive measure against the future role out of this update, but the changes have been highly unwelcome, and most importantly very problematic, for my mother, who has been left in a very difficult position.

We initially spoke with Humax who are not interested.  We have also spoken with Youview customer support and a case file has apparently been opened, although we have little hope of any answers to our concerns.

Our overwhelming concern is the change from list view to thumbnail for Recordings.  My mother finds this almost impossible to use or understand.  The programmes titles are no longer easy to read, with a combination of the picture background and the truncated text, and the thumbnail selection is difficult to navigate.  This has largely removed all functionality from the Recordings for my mother, who lives alone and relies heavily on her television and her ability to record and view programmes.  She is naturally very upset.  Taken further and as raised earlier in this thread, although my mother is not visually impaired, we wonder if this change is even DDA compliant, but certainly have general concerns for the elderly.  It is astonishing that a list view option was not preserved.

We share my my mother’s concerns in this regard and for that reason alone have disconnected out own unit from the internet as a precaution.

And then there are the other, not insignificant, issues.  BT Branding is unwelcome, uninvited, and intrusive.  Like many people, we try to reduce all unwanted advertising as far as possible and this is little different.  There are other annoyances like the menu which now appears on start up each time, the problems (again with Recordings) finding and playing episodes from a multi episode recording, and odd redundancies that are misleading such as options to Play and Delete (and Lock) beneath the episodes thumbnails when the first two of these have no additional purpose beyond simply clicking on the episode or pressing delete on the remote control (which, incidentally, does not have an ‘X’ button).

But to repeat, our main concern is the loss of the list view for Recordings.  My mother may yet have no option but to discard two units that are only a year old, and at a cost that she can ill afford, look at alternatives (perhaps even an older reconditioned model that can be kept unconnected from the internet?).  Notwithstanding any small print that may purport to allow Youview to do this, it surely is not right that Youview have been able to impose this degree of change, without any warning or option to roll back or revert to the old view.  My mother no longer has the product she purchased. 

We will continue raising this issue with Youview, and are considering taking legal advice.

Richard W

I have to admit thar until tjis update i thought it was humax sortware accessing the youview content. Isn't that the way it works wirh say a sony tv. Dont sony write the software!? Does it mean thst freeview are going to take over all freeview boxes? Why is it different with youview?
  • fre55diefre55die Member Posts: 164
    edited 16 March 2017, 12:50AM
    Richard W said:

Richard W

Youview and Sony collaborate on the software, but if it is branded YOUVIEW then the basic software is YV with individual tweaks from the manufacturer/ISP. Freeview is different as it uses different technology.
    edited 16 March 2017, 6:39AM
    Richard W said:

Richard W

Freeview is built in to all UK market TVs made since 2010, and many before that. But it is more a set of standards for
    nanufacturers to follow than a software product like YouView.

There is now Freeview Play, which is more analogous to YouView, but it is nothing like as prescriptive as YouView, and every manufacturer is permitted their own take on it, within certain limits.

TalkTalk users mostly have boxes provided by Huawei, not Humax, but these still run the YouView software.

The three-layer model looks like:-

YouView software
    Manufacturer Firmware
    Manufacturer Hardware

Where the hardware must meet certain standards and provide certain capabilities to qualify as a YouView box, and the firmware provides a consistent interface for the YouView software to have physical things happen in the hardware layer without having to worry about the details of that hardware.

The YouView software provides for ISP branding and features, but it is still a single product; switch ISP from Sky to TT, say, when you have a retail Humax box, and the TT branding will appear without the software changing versions, and the box will (largely) work as a Huawei would have in the same situation.

(Where 'largely' represents the difficulties of getting this absolutely seamless, but it is still the design intention it should be).

YouView on Sony TVs works very much the same way, except it is Sony providing the API for YouView to access the hardware through, and a lot of it is Android, so it is all a bit more complicated. And YouView on one of these TVs sits there as a sort of super-app; more than an app yet less than an OS, and has to be enabled/disabled, not just exited like an app can be.

But at least it can be disabled, for those who want satellite and/or Freeview instead, whereas as (pace Dave Howes) you can't do this on a YouView box.
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • Steve OliverSteve Oliver Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited 16 March 2017, 1:10PM
    Got 3 boxes, none have the update yet and I'm PETRIFIED of it as I already know I'll hate the recording list and want to throw the boxes​ out of the window very quickly. Disconnecting from the internet is such a pain but I may just do it overnight every night. If I disconnect the connection at midnight every day and reconnect in the morning, will this prevent the update?? Have Youview yet commented to say the option to list recordings will return, I haven't seen any comments along that line, just a lot of disgruntled people?
  • Ann5Ann5 Member Posts: 6
    edited 16 March 2017, 4:26PM

A Week or so ago I made lots of comments along the lines of everyone else.  Spoke to my sister yesterday and only just released she had a talk talk you view box.  They have had arguments and rage in their house and are ready to smash the box up.  They hadn't realised that there was this forum. It just shows that there are loads of people out there that hate what You View have done but haven't complained on a forum.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 March 2017, 8:21AM

Got 3 boxes, none have the update yet and I'm PETRIFIED of it as I already know I'll hate the recording list and want to throw the boxes​ out of the window very quickly. Disconnecting from the internet is such a pain but I may just do it overnight every night. If I disconnect the connection at midnight every day and reconnect in the morning, will this prevent the update?? Have Youview yet commented to say the option to list recordings will return, I haven't seen any comments along that line, just a lot of disgruntled people?

Have a look at https://community.youview.com/youview...
    Various suggestions there.
    Cheapest method involves parental controls in your router.
    Post back here if you need help with that.
  • Paul NormanPaul Norman Member Posts: 39
    edited 19 March 2017, 1:47PM
    Sanj said:

Hi all,

We’ve been paying close attention to all your feedback and wanted to take this opportunity to respond to your comments about MyTV. 

Next Generation YouView, and with that MyTV, was designed to be image-led to make it easier to find your favourite programmes. We rigorously tested each function and feature and for others, particularly families with children, the new design has made it easier for them to pick out the shows that they want to watch.  

We want to make YouView the best way to enjoy TV for everyone and our Product and Design Teams are continuously looking at ways to make improvements. One of the key goals of MyTV was to show you more of your recorded content so 12 programmes are now displayed per page compared to the 9 we showed in the original YouView interface.

To give you some insight, during our pre launch testing, MyTV’s satisfaction ratings continually increased the longer our customers used it but having said that we’re always keen to hear your feedback and take steps to help improve the way you navigate in MyTV.

Since the roll out of Next Gen commenced across our boxes, we’ve added page navigation using the programme +/- buttons to the Retail Next Gen update to aid exploration around MyTV. This will also roll out to TalkTalk TV and BT TV customers too.

We understand how important your recordings are and wanted to reassure you that we are looking at ways we can improve your experience.

Here is my feedback,:
    The mytv view is not fit for purpose and needs sorting out quickly. I will soon choose to dump my YouView box on eBay and find an alternative that is useable if not.
    This is a shame since the speed of use of the box in general is much better and could be lived with, even the god awful logo for my broadband supplier but I will not put up with the absolute rubbish mytv view as this is where I end up for nearly half the usage of the box..
    If you now have speedier update cycles then I implore you to show you listen.
  • Paul NormanPaul Norman Member Posts: 39
    edited 10 August 2017, 6:38PM
    This might be my next box - Humax FVP-4000T 1TB - oh and it is not YouView
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 March 2017, 9:21AM

I wouldn't rush into that Paul.
    See: https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/freeview-play-from-humax-compared-with-youview
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 315
    edited 16 March 2017, 11:31AM

Humax have released a few updates since that model first came out.
    On another forum it has been suggested that reviews prior to September 2016 may no longer hold up with the current FVP-4000T software.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/are-these-improving
  • bernard.farrbernard.farr Member Posts: 8
    edited 16 March 2017, 1:44PM

Are there Facebook pages for Humax and YouView we can all post to?
  • Sarah Lovelace1Sarah Lovelace1 Member Posts: 28
    edited 16 March 2017, 12:01PM

Worth a look
  • Sarah Lovelace1Sarah Lovelace1 Member Posts: 28
    edited 16 March 2017, 12:05PM

Yes there is a Facebook page..just type YouView into the search bar & their page comes up
  • Andrew CAndrew C Member Posts: 47
    edited 16 March 2017, 12:07PM

The YV twitter account is taking some flak as well.
  • Steve OliverSteve Oliver Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited 16 March 2017, 1:13PM

Thanks jimb, no I'm fine with that, cheers.
  • UrsaUrsa Member Posts: 78
    edited 16 March 2017, 3:54PM

Twitter ceratinly is - and the responses faithfully C&P the Party Line - LOL ... pathetic !
  • djaycheladjaychela Member Posts: 1
    edited 10 August 2017, 6:38PM
    Yesterday I had the misfortune of my box being updated - by my 79-year old mother who has spent the last 24 hours alternately apologising to me for clicking OK to the upgrade, and being massively frustrated by the box.

The UI is awful - I can't believe there isn't the option to view recordings and schedules as a list.  Images are a ridiculous way to present this information - totally inefficient use of space, and doesn't help you see what the program is - for instance one recording (The secret life of dogs) is just "The secret life" and you have to view the program info to see what it is.  What was initially an easy-to-view list is now difficult to do, and you can't see the dates easily; my Mum watches homes under the hammer, and knows that only the thursday and tuesday editions are new, and the others are old.  This used to be easy to see, now it's much more difficult.

At least there's the ability to turn off the icons in the TV guide, but it's still rubbish compared to the old one.

Anyone who writes software (or designs UIs) with a brain knows that you don't take options away from users who have had them for years without good reason, and replacing lists with pictures is indicative of people who haven't got the first clue of how to improve a piece of software, so just think that changing anything is an improvement.

It's not.  This could be the end of YouView, for me.
    edited 16 March 2017, 5:44PM

You're not supposed to pick people up on their grammar, Jonathan - doing that is against the Community Guidelines.

Unfortunately :-(
    edited 16 March 2017, 5:59PM

Humax is innocent - as I keep saying, that's like blaming your laptop maker, whoever that is, for Windows 8.
  • bernard.farrbernard.farr Member Posts: 8
    edited 16 March 2017, 4:35PM

English is such a strange language - was he 'picking them up' or 'putting them down'?!
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Member Posts: 246
    edited 16 March 2017, 5:12PM

Or even knocking them sideways...... ;~)
  • Richard WRichard W Member Posts: 5
    edited 17 March 2017, 10:05AM
    Richard W said:

Richard W

The Youview Customer Support telephone number is 0333 313 2278.  I encourage all contributors to this thread/forum who have problems regarding this update to register their concerns using this telephone number and ask that Youview open a formal case file documenting the issues.  They should provide you with an individual case reference.

Like Martin Ward above, I have also registered concerns with Trading Standards (this can be done through Citizens Advice (0345 404 0506)).  They will ask you for the company details which are on Martin's post.

Also please share your comments to the Youview Facebook Page.  The link is here : https://www.facebook.com/youview/  There are a couple of threads on the new updates, depending on which Youview model/package you have.  

Richard W