BT G4 & G5 users - NextGen now being released

VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭
edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM in Discussion
Get ready for your brand-new BT TV experience
on ‎16-03-2017 13h58
Good news everyone, the new BT TV experience, including the brand new BT Player, is starting to roll out to customers with G4 or G5 boxes.
The roll out will commence tonight.  Customers will receive an email with a link to the information page which can be viewed here. Get ready for your brand-new BT TV experience.

The software will be rolled out to all YouView customers over the coming months. The software variant will be : 27.46.0 

We've worked hard to make sure that this software is ready for you - most recently we've been working on making the box faster and more stable. It doesn't end there though, so keep an eye out for new updates which will come after launch based on customer feedback.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Get-ready-for-your-brand-new-BT-TV-experience/td-p/1722437...#

I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.

Comments

• UrsaUrsa Member Posts: 78
    edited 16 March 2017, 3:09PM
    sigh ... so much for BT 'holding back' ....
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 April 2017, 10:13PM
    Astonishing :-(
    edited 16 March 2017, 4:01PM
  • UrsaUrsa Member Posts: 78
    edited 16 March 2017, 4:15PM
    That site links to an earlier article highlighting the Logo invasion and other complaints ...
    edited 16 March 2017, 4:15PM
    Ursa said:

That site links to an earlier article highlighting the Logo invasion and other complaints ...

Indeed :-)
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 March 2017, 4:35PM
    Oh ****
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
    edited 16 March 2017, 4:35PM
    Roy1 said:

Oh ****

Very succinctly put.
  • Bill CBill C Member Posts: 6
    edited 10 April 2017, 10:14PM
    How you can say it is ready to be hoisted on your customers I don't know. Just read the hundreds of YouView customers comments on the update and you will see that it is a massive step in the wrong direction. Please listen and learn from these comments, although I doubt you will so we will just have to stop recommending YouView to friends so they don't have to suffer your incompetence.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    VM only you have managed to put a smile on my face after the afternoon I have had in hospital let's just say a camera went into a not so nice place. This is excellent news. Its the news I have been waiting for nice one. I'm hoping I get it quickly I'm over the moon. And to people who hate next gen this post is not sarcasm in any way shape or form. Roy and VM can vouch for that. I love next gen one of my boxes already has it I am waiting for my g5 to get it as it's most used box.
    edited 16 March 2017, 9:26PM
    Daniel4 said:

VM only you have managed to put a smile on my face after the afternoon I have had in hospital let's just say a camera went into a not so nice place. This is excellent news. Its the news I have been waiting for nice one. I'm hoping I get it quickly I'm over the moon. And to people who hate next gen this post is not sarcasm in any way shape or form. Roy and VM can vouch for that. I love next gen one of my boxes already has it I am waiting for my g5 to get it as it's most used box.

They went right up your : ?
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 March 2017, 9:26PM
    Daniel4 said:

Lets not look too deeply into that one...
    edited 16 March 2017, 11:36PM
    Going back to the BT CMs announcement, at the end he also said this -
    "- keep an eye out for new updates which will come after launch based on customer feedback."
    I have next gen on my g5 it has begun finally. Finally I been waiting ages for this.
  • steve23094steve23094 Member Posts: 63
    Daniel4 said:

If you think the MyTV interface is a good design then that camera got shoved too far up and scrambled your brain.
    edited 19 April 2017, 8:35AM
    "- keep an eye out for new updates which will come after launch based on customer feedback."
    This new platform is going to be very decent with a few tweaks, namely involving MY TV and series stack accessing, all of which have already been fed back to YV & BT directly. And I'm looking forward to the new updates that will be coming soon. Not that I'll personally be using any of them, mind. :)
    edited 17 March 2017, 8:00AM
    Visionman said:

This new platform is going to be very decent with a few tweaks, namely involving MY TV and series stack accessing, all of which have already been fed back to YV & BT directly. And I'm looking forward to the new updates that will be coming soon. Not that I'll personally be using any of them, mind. :)

Cryptic. Will you be junking your YouView box?
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 506 ✭✭
    edited 17 March 2017, 9:11AM
    Visionman said:

If he is then he won't be the only one I bet.
    edited 17 March 2017, 10:12AM
    Daniel4 said:

Thanks for been offensive Steve I'm entitled to my opinion just as you are entitled to yours.
    Daniel4 said:

You're welcome. You're the one that decided to post about your colonoscopy on a public forum. Lighten up.
    edited 17 March 2017, 10:53AM
    Daniel4 said:

Wrong way dude
    edited 17 March 2017, 11:05AM
    Daniel4 said:

Yes steve23094, and Daniel was entirely on topic, discussing his colonoscopy alongside NextGen.

It's just that of the two of you, it's only NextGen that is your pain in the a*se :-)
    edited 17 March 2017, 11:06AM
    Daniel4 said:

Boom boom. He's here all week folks. :-p
    edited 17 March 2017, 12:13PM
    Visionman said:

No Roy, I won't be junking them. I meant I don't personally use them.
    Hide Channels (yellow button?) Nope, never done that.
    Discover - I don't use that either.
    Action Panel - I'd honestly forgotten it even existed. 

Now to others, both here and elsewhere, the return of the above features is not only eagerly anticipated but essential! A perfect example of each to their own. I think. :)
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 March 2017, 9:49PM
    Funnily enough a lot of the early G5 update people are liking the update :-

My husband was pressing the software upgrade button in the youview classic menus it came though for us just before midnight last night. We absolutely love next gen its the best thing since sliced bread. The box is quicker love the tile based my TV and players load faster ten out of ten its absolutely fantastic. The new BT player is outstanding. BT did really good with that. I'm glad we where one of the first to get it on the g5 my husband has been saying he is sick of waiting everyday since day 1 of the talk talk rollout started so my headache can now subside. But in all fairness we are really pleased with it the list based youview classic was clearly in need of a revamping its out of date when compared to other stbs on the market next gen has given the youview box a new lease on life.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-B...
  • David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    With the resounding majority of other users on your link not liking it.
    edited 17 March 2017, 9:50PM
    David8 said:

Really, can you tell me the post numbers for the people who actually have the update and are complaining about it.
    I count 5 people in 7 pages..most of which just aren't keen on a few small things.
    And once again obviously the vast percentage will be complaints as on all forum threads.
    edited 17 March 2017, 9:53PM
    David8 said:

Do you have BT TV David?
    edited 17 March 2017, 9:54PM
    David8 said:

Have you got it yet scott?
  • David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited 17 March 2017, 9:57PM
    David8 said:

no I have a retail box and a zapper still in its cardboard box lol.
    edited 17 March 2017, 10:03PM
    David8 said:

Visionman - I have already posted pictures from the recording list on my box so safe to say I have it ;-)