Software Update 16/03/2017

Gordon WalkerGordon Walker Member Posts: 4
edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM in Support
I have had Humax for the last 6 years and have had Youview for 4. Why have Humax updated my box with such a load of pictures and other rubbish. I was under the impression that software updates improved the functions and ease of use of the product but this update does not do any of these things. Can this software update be reversed.

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    In short, no.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 April 2017, 10:51AM
    Hi Gordon - the short answer is no you cannot reverse this update. Some key points and more info include:
    • Humax only make the hardware, YouView are responsible for the software (somewhat in the same way as Dell might produce your PC hardware but the OS and some key software might come from Microsoft)
    • There has been rather a lot of feedback about this update
    • For a summary of the changes (other than reading through the vast amounts of feedback) see my first impressions post
  • David SworderDavid Sworder Member Posts: 8
    I agree with you about the update.  I purchased my box to record and watch at a more convenient time, I did not want the subscription channels.  The update has not proved advantageous to me.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    David, the update has not given you the subscription channels.

But if you don't want them even offered (as they were before anyway, though admittedly much less obtrusively), then you need to change ISP away from BT.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • Paul TurnerPaul Turner Member Posts: 16
    Keith1 said:

Hi Gordon - the short answer is no you cannot reverse this update. Some key points and more info include:

• Humax only make the hardware, YouView are responsible for the software (somewhat in the same way as Dell might produce your PC hardware but the OS and some key software might come from Microsoft)
    • There has been rather a lot of feedback about this update
    • For a summary of the changes (other than reading through the vast amounts of feedback) see my first impressions post
    27.46.0 What an absoulte load of rubbish. If your not careful you could very easily delete an entire series of a recorded programme and searching through the recordings to find one to watch is almost impossible. Please sort this out so that it is back to the previous version for the recordings listing, at least that way we get a full programme title and more importantly search either by date or programme title.
    edited 27 April 2017, 8:49PM
    Visionman said:

In short, no.

27.46.0 What an absoulte load of rubbish. If your not careful you could very easily delete an entire series of a recorded programme and searching through the recordings to find one to watch is almost impossible. Please sort this out so that it is back to the previous version for the recordings listing, at least that way we get a full programme title and more importantly search either by date or programme title.

I agree with you about the update.  I purchased my box to record and watch at a more convenient time, I did not want the subscription channels.  The update has not proved advantageous to me.

edited 19 April 2017, 10:52AM
    Roy1 said:

But if you don't want them even offered (as they were before anyway, though admittedly much less obtrusively), then you need to change ISP away from BT.

• Chris ChurchleyChris Churchley Member Posts: 2
    edited 15 April 2017, 12:34PM
    Roy1 said:

Try using the pause or fast forward for sport - the changes have made fast forwarding through sport almost impossible. The prompts stay on screen for fully 9 seconds after responding and they cover nearly one third of bottom of the screen. Try watching golf!

• Christine MurphyChristine Murphy Member Posts: 11
    edited 18 April 2017, 7:45PM
    Roy1 said:

My Mums box isn't linked to BT & hers has updated as well. She hates it
    edited 18 April 2017, 8:39PM
    Roy1 said:

Who is her ISP, Christine?
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 April 2017, 8:43PM
    Roy1 said:

Why is Paul posting his posts over and over again. I'm starting to wonder if we have another spam bot on the forums.
  • MrMcgMrMcg Member Posts: 105
    edited 18 April 2017, 9:10PM
    Roy1 said:

Yeah, there is a spambot. It's mimicking several posters, and saying "the tiles are staying" over and over :P
    edited 18 April 2017, 9:09PM
    Roy1 said:

Not been funny but visionman has been a member here for years and has a lot of members respect. If visionman has repeated it a lot it's because he had good reason to. A lot of people to be fair have signed up and asked the same question and its usually along the lines of bring back the lists please get rid of the tiles.

Without visionmans contributions this forum would have a great loss. If he sounds repetitive it's because there is a lot of posts asking the same thing.

There is a massive difference between the way visionman has posted and the way the Paul user account is posting the same thing in a identical way over and over on the same page of a thread.
  • FredyFredy Member Posts: 24
    edited 18 April 2017, 9:13PM
    Roy1 said:

@Murray Yes I keep seeing that about tiles staying all the time too. How odd.
  • MrMcgMrMcg Member Posts: 105
    edited 18 April 2017, 9:44PM
    Roy1 said:

@Daniel,
    I didn't single out VM, or even mention him. Yes, he has said it a lot, but so have other long-time members.
    edited 18 April 2017, 9:52PM
    Roy1 said:

The only other person I can think it's aimed at is me and I'm certainly not a spam bot. I recently sent in a video of a known bug to the forum staff when have you known a spam bot to do that. I also have sent various emails into youview that have been responded to.
  • FredyFredy Member Posts: 24
    edited 1 July 2017, 3:48PM
    Roy1 said:

I must say that Roy seems very understanding and prepared to give information, not just offer prepared knock backs to the contributor.
  • Tim NottnocTim Nottnoc Member Posts: 3
    edited 28 April 2017, 8:46AM
    What peeves me, is that one cannot now go to a particular time in a program without fast forwarding to get there. Deffo NOT letting my other box or my 91 year old mother's EVER see the internet.
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,618 admin
    edited 26 April 2017, 2:36PM

What peeves me, is that one cannot now go to a particular time in a program without fast forwarding to get there. Deffo NOT letting my other box or my 91 year old mother's EVER see the internet.

Posted on a previous update

Please reference the new conversation here: Fast forwarding
  • Suzi WilliamsonSuzi Williamson Member Posts: 4
    edited 1 July 2017, 3:49PM
    My box updated a couple of days ago but today it has changed for the worse when I want to watch a soap program that has 65 episodes recorded it starts right back to the first episode that has been watched then I have to scroll through for ages to get to the latest ones then instead of being able to go forward to watch the next one it goes back to the start of the watched ones & I have to scroll through again. It's driving me mad to the point I want to change the box it's a joke how they can change something for the worse instead of the better why can't we have a choice if we want the update & be able to go back to the old version
  • Suzi WilliamsonSuzi Williamson Member Posts: 4
    edited 27 April 2017, 8:54PM
    Visionman said:

In short, no.

It's a joke I just want my old version back or I will have to go with sky or something else this version is horrible I can't cope with it. Change it back it didn't need changing
    edited 28 April 2017, 8:43AM

Our box did a secret update the other day!!

It froze so I turned it off at the wall, left it a couple of minutes and then turned it back on.

Low and behold when we now look at our recordings (i.e. 65 episodes) it now takes us straight to the oldest one first.

BUT I AM REALLY PEAVED AT THE DELETING FUNCTION.

I MADE A CATISTROFIC ERROR TONIGHT AND ACCIDENTLY DELETED AN ENTIRE SERIES.

BRING BACK OUR OLD SOFTWARE AND DO IT SOON !!!!!!!!!!!!

you-view or humax you suck with this recent update. Sort it out and sort it out soon. Your are going to loose a lot of customers if this carries on.

edited 27 April 2017, 9:32PM
    Visionman said:

In short, no.

Suzi when your box receives 27.50.0 software update it will start from the oldest episode in series stacks and the large tile is removed.
    edited 28 April 2017, 7:18AM
    Visionman said:

In short, no.

Yeah, that'll fix it for her, Daniel. Not.
    edited 28 April 2017, 7:28AM
    Visionman said:

In short, no.

It's a great start IMO and if one hates image based software I as a person who has recently been though a sky install in December specifically know sky only give out sky q which is image based also so getting sky in won't fix it also.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 506 ✭✭
    edited 28 April 2017, 8:47AM
    Visionman said:

In short, no.

Daniel ,none of that is helpful for a justifiably disgruntled user.

Whilst not so relevant here you do need to temper your enthusiastic view when responding to a user who has come to this forum to complain about what's just been imposed upon them. It does not help them, but can further irritate them.
    edited 28 April 2017, 8:31AM
    Visionman said:

In short, no.

But at the same time time would you prefer to be a little bit irritated or have the issue I described. I did say I would attempt to be more picky about the posts.
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,618 admin
    edited 28 April 2017, 8:47AM

My box updated a couple of days ago but today it has changed for the worse when I want to watch a soap program that has 65 episodes recorded it starts right back to the first episode that has been watched then I have to scroll through for ages to get to the latest ones then instead of being able to go forward to watch the next one it goes back to the start of the watched ones & I have to scroll through again. It's driving me mad to the point I want to change the box it's a joke how they can change something for the worse instead of the better why can't we have a choice if we want the update & be able to go back to the old version

Posted on a previous update

Please reference the new conversation here: Box update
  • chris1981chris1981 Member Posts: 14
    edited 5 May 2017, 2:15PM
    I have BT TV and think the new update is terrible,  when I start up I seem to have to click to TV guide and off again to actually watch a show.
    The fact I cant hide channels I don't have is a step back and its impossible to navigate the BT TV section,  I am strongly thinking of abandoning this service