DTR-T4000 Next Gen Update

PhilStationPhilStation Member Posts: 113 ✭✭
edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM in Discussion
Is there any time frame for the roll out of the next gen update to the 4k Youview box?

Thanks

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 March 2017, 8:34AM
    Nothing published.

I suggest you continue to enjoy ClassicCoke for as long as you can.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • PhilStationPhilStation Member Posts: 113 ✭✭
    edited 10 August 2017, 7:14PM
    Nothing to enjoy, it's tired and outdated and so I'm excited for the refresh. I accept there are issues but having been on the beta test for numerous pieces of software I am used to and willing to live with it short term.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 615 ✭✭
    edited 19 April 2017, 8:35AM
    But "tired and outdated" works for many,many people as can be seen by the very negative posts about the new UI.
    Perhaps, but it is always the dissatisfied that are most vocal.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 March 2017, 9:19AM

Phil do you have BT TV with your 4K box or have you just purchased one outside. I only ask as there is an option to sign up to test new products including BTTV software, I know probably too late for this update but for future (your responses sounded like this might be something you would like to do). I think BT are holding back slightly on its recording boxes and will make a decision soon based on a few different things.

You can join by following the link https://bt.centercode.com/login.html?err=Active_User
    and then selecting 'Create a new user account'.

• The WeathermanThe Weatherman Member Posts: 29
    edited 4 April 2017, 1:20PM
    Agreed. I've been quiet on this forum for years largely because I've been happy with the YouView service. Not so now, following this horrible NextGen (sorry Deformed Mutant) UI update. I've no issue with change and refreshing the look and feel of things, but not when that change removes key elements of functionality and ease of use. Still, perhaps I'm just on a caffeine high after drinking all that classic coke.
    edited 20 March 2017, 10:55PM

Not a BT customer, just a retail user. I actually purchased a new DTR2100 from Amazon after the hard drive on my previous box gave up the ghost and for some reason they sent me a refurbished 4k box! They reimbursed me a proportion of the order to reflect the fact that it was refurbished and I kept it!
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    The roll out has started I have next gen on my ultra HD box
    edited 20 March 2017, 11:12PM
    Daniel4 said:

Don't taunt me man!

Feels like I've been waiting forever.
    edited 20 March 2017, 11:12PM
    Daniel4 said:

Sorry. At least the end is in site though as rollout has starred.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 March 2017, 6:49AM
    Daniel4 said:

Be careful what you wish for, Philstation. A lot of people here think the site the ending is in looks like a bombsite :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 21 March 2017, 12:16PM
    Daniel4 said:

I think I know what I am getting into having been an avid observer, if not contributor, since NextGen was announced.

As I have said before, I believe I can live with the missing features and issues in the short term, and am excited to experience the new UI.
  • impydaveimpydave Member Posts: 32
    edited 21 March 2017, 12:37PM
    Daniel4 said:

Oh no :( I check my box every morning and so far have had no update so I thought I'd got away with it!

Are you with BT Daniel?
    edited 21 March 2017, 12:39PM
    Daniel4 said:

Yes I am
  • impydaveimpydave Member Posts: 32
    edited 21 March 2017, 12:41PM
    Daniel4 said:

Thanks for the answer Daniel, I am actually torn between wanting it and the negative feedback....I have just come from Sky Q for the past year, and I really thought that was awful so keep on telling myself it can't be worse than that! although having had my DRT-T4000 box for 3 weeks now, it's not crashed once! which compared to Q is a revelation :)
    Finally received the update and given all the time I have spent reading the posts on here, I knew its limitations and how to use it instantly. 

On the whole, I absolutely love it but have a few observations of things I believe could be improved:

1. TV Guide Navigation - When cycling through the TV guide, page up / down on the first / last pages no longer takes you back to the top / bottom. As a household that spends a lot on time watching Cbeebies, its a little frustrating to have to go all the way back to the top.

2. My TV Carousel - Personally, once into a series, I would prefer a list view with the ability to jump up and down pages. I love the grid system for the main menu, but think a list view is better suited for recordings with multiple episodes. It would be even better to be able to sort by series ala Netflix.

3. My TV Visual Appearance - I understand that they are using the black bar along the bottom to indicate there is another page but, I would prefer it if this either displayed the top of the next page or another alternative because I think it looks unattractive as is and spoils an otherwise clean design. 

4. Players / Apps - Given the lack of "apps", why not just group them all together, it seems pointless to have two separate menus when the selection is so limited anyway.