How to prevent your box updating to Next Generation

Comments

• David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited 11 March 2017, 6:15PM

As an experiment, I've tried whipping out the hard drive and cloning it to a spare drive I had lying around, so I've got an emergency backup. The cloned drive runs perfectly, and the box even noticed it was bigger and increased my recording capacity by 50%, which I wasn't expecting!
    I used Acronis True Image, but there are plenty of good freebies out there - just make sure the one you choose can make an exact clone of the entire drive, including weird formats and partitions, most of them will.
    As long as there are no changes made to the bootloader during the update, then swapping them back should revert the system in case of an accidental upgrade. The downside would be that any recordings made after this time would be lost, but you can't have everything. It would be interesting to find someone with a T 1000 nearby, preferably with the update, to try it out on. If it will swap, and work on an updated box, then there's the possibility of a way back to normality for those who want it!

So I'm taking it this Next Gen update has generally gone down like a lead balloon lol
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 March 2017, 5:46PM

As an experiment, I've tried whipping out the hard drive and cloning it to a spare drive I had lying around, so I've got an emergency backup. The cloned drive runs perfectly, and the box even noticed it was bigger and increased my recording capacity by 50%, which I wasn't expecting!
    I used Acronis True Image, but there are plenty of good freebies out there - just make sure the one you choose can make an exact clone of the entire drive, including weird formats and partitions, most of them will.
    As long as there are no changes made to the bootloader during the update, then swapping them back should revert the system in case of an accidental upgrade. The downside would be that any recordings made after this time would be lost, but you can't have everything. It would be interesting to find someone with a T 1000 nearby, preferably with the update, to try it out on. If it will swap, and work on an updated box, then there's the possibility of a way back to normality for those who want it!

Well, at the risk of further inflaming some newer members of the community, only if you believe the noisy ones. Whether that represents a majority doesn't really seem to matter these days. #flakjacket
  • David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited 11 March 2017, 6:16PM

I'm happy as with it , my T1000 box has a new lease of life. :-)
    edited 11 March 2017, 6:16PM

Mine also, a point perhaps overlooked by some.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 March 2017, 9:47PM

You mean it does less faster? Not hard....
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • Edward G PercyEdward G Percy Member Posts: 19
    edited 12 March 2017, 6:02PM

In what way is theT1000 improved ? My Humax one has not updated yet.

My wife is hopping mad as her T2000 evidently updated during Home and Away.

• DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 March 2017, 6:18PM

Just watch on catchup no big deal.
  • Steve OliverSteve Oliver Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited 16 March 2017, 6:23PM
    Richard M said:

Managed to block all my YouView boxes from accessing the internet between 1am and 4am... I shouldn't have to do this but a man's got to do what a man's got to do! I'll only use Next Gen if you can view recordings as lists via a software update/option in settings. imageimage

Same here.
  • CegCeg Member Posts: 184
    edited 23 March 2017, 10:35AM
    Ceg said:

I have taken a number of steps to attempt to avoid the updates:

I have assigned a fixed IP to the box via my router.
    I have blocked the STB from accessing the internet from 00:00-06:00 via the parental controls.
    I have blocked http://www.humaxtvportal.com (this is the address that the box contacts to check for updates)
    I have blocked http://www.humaxtvweb.cloudapp.net
    I have blocked updates-live.youview.tv

I have no idea if this will definitely work as I'm on a Plusnet DTR-T2120 and as far as I can tell the 'upgrade' hasn't rolled out yet.

All the addresses that the box contacts when a manual update is performed:

humaxtvweb.cloudapp.net
    updates-live.youview.tv.edgesuite.net
    config-live.youview.tv.edgesuite.net
    ids-live.youview.tv.edgesuite.net
    ispdiscovery-gss.vision.bt.com
    reporting-live.youview.tv.edgesuite.net

redirects:
    www.humaxtvportal.com
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv
    ispdiscovery.vision.bt.com
    reporting-live.youview.tv

I don't know which of these addresses are needed for the day to day running of the box, blocking them may result in the box not performing correctly.

As a follow up to my original post I have monitored the Youview box overnight to see what it's doing. At 01:45 it performs the update procedure in the same manor as the manual update.

So, in order, it connects to:

www.humaxtvportal.com
    updates-live.youview.tv
    config-live.youview.tv
    ids-live.youview.tv
    ispdiscovery.vision.bt.com

Hopefully this information will allow anyone who doesn't want to update to prevent the update from happening. I would recommend using both the parental controls to block internet access to the box overnight and blocking the above URLs to prevent accidental updates.

I have been blocking the URLs for a couple of weeks now and haven't experienced any problems with the day-to-day running of the box.
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    Im hoping at the end of the rollout youview find a way to prevent players been used on any box that evaded the update. At the end of the day its a fantastic update that like a fine wine will mature with age and people should embrace this update not hide away from it. I guess its the fear of the unknown for some people.
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    What a spiteful comment, you are entitled to your opinion and everyone on here knows what it is. Why would you want to prevent me from using my box as I see fit? It is demonstrably not a fantastic update removing widely used features and crippling parts of the UI with only vague promises about what may or not be reinstated.

If you have nothing to add to this topic (preventing the box from updating) please use other topics to cheerlead for your corked plonk.
    edited 23 March 2017, 11:10AM
    Ceg said:

What a spiteful comment, you are entitled to your opinion and everyone on here knows what it is. Why would you want to prevent me from using my box as I see fit? It is demonstrably not a fantastic update removing widely used features and crippling parts of the UI with only vague promises about what may or not be reinstated.

If you have nothing to add to this topic (preventing the box from updating) please use other topics to cheerlead for your corked plonk.

I'm reporting your post it crosses the line.
    edited 23 March 2017, 11:09AM
    Ceg said:

what line?
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 506 ✭✭
    edited 23 March 2017, 11:40AM
    Daniel4 said:

Im hoping at the end of the rollout youview find a way to prevent players been used on any box that evaded the update. At the end of the day its a fantastic update that like a fine wine will mature with age and people should embrace this update not hide away from it. I guess its the fear of the unknown for some people.

Very nasty Daniel. You should be ashamed of yourself.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 506 ✭✭
    edited 23 March 2017, 11:17AM
    Ceg said:

I think it's you that's crossed the line Daniel.
    edited 23 March 2017, 11:23AM
    Ceg said:

That's not the case I'm entitled to my opinion however strong and controversial it is.
    edited 23 March 2017, 11:34AM
    Ceg said:

And I'm not?

I'm meant to be ok with you saying I should be denied access to my TV service? That's really nasty and vindictive. I've come up with a way to stay on the software I like. You say that because of this, I should be blocked from using my main TV service. That's the line right there.
    edited 23 March 2017, 11:41AM
    Ceg said:

No its not and I certainly didn't attack no one I have reported your posts I have nothing more to say to you. I will be ignoring any further replies from yourself so you waste your time posting.
    edited 23 March 2017, 11:51AM
    Ceg said:

Daniel, you do seem to be very happy to dish it out as it were, but less ready to accept a response in kind.
    edited 23 March 2017, 11:55AM
    Ceg said:

Why would you comment on a topic about avoiding updates and say anyone who doesn't share your opinon about the update and is avoiding the updates should be blocked from accessing Youview?

And do you really think this wouldn't result in this sort of reaction? Are you doing this on purpose?
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Member Posts: 246
    edited 23 March 2017, 12:14PM
    Daniel4 said:

You really are a rather selfish small-minded person aren't you........
    edited 23 March 2017, 12:15PM
    Daniel4 said:

Now that IS blatantly offensive. :-(
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Member Posts: 246
    edited 23 March 2017, 12:15PM
    Ceg said:

He's actually just a troublemaker. I suggest we all just ignore him in future......
    edited 23 March 2017, 12:26PM
    Ceg said:

I have contributed contributed a hell of a lot on here actually. One example been the sky sports guide is now a lot better because of me. Just because you don't agree with what I say don't make me a trouble Maker. You are trolling my posts now and posted disgusting content. IM ENTITLED TO MY OPINION. THIS FORUM WAS RESPECTFL UNTIL RECENTLY. EVERYONE SHOULD IGNORE YOU. Your clearly the trouble maker and your posts are been reported just incase you try to edit them I have screen shot them.
    edited 23 March 2017, 12:28PM
    Ceg said:

I also got a email of your edited post which is been forwarded I hope you get barred
    edited 23 March 2017, 12:38PM
    Daniel4 said:

I have reported his posts and sent evidence. On a forum people have different opinions its the nature of forums. I don't appreciate my posts been trolled just because one don't agree with my opinion. There is certainly ways to discuss a difference of opinion without been disrespectful. I just hope Dave gets blocked because he went too far. At least youview staff know I do contribute here. The sky sports IP channels have better guide and a system in place to catch errors because of me. I have posted posts what led to improvements in the filters.
  • UrsaUrsa Member Posts: 78
    edited 23 March 2017, 1:39PM
    Ceg said:

LOL .... if you dont stop "I'll scweam & scweam until I make mythelth thick .... "
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 March 2017, 4:39PM
    Wow, forum moderation is working well today. Well done Sanj!
    edited 23 March 2017, 2:59PM
    jimb said:

I'm surprised at you jimb, you know what the first rule of Fight Club is...  ;)
  • Edward G PercyEdward G Percy Member Posts: 19
    edited 23 March 2017, 4:05PM
    jimb said:

Do all recordings stop at FYI Daily that comes on in the middle of some Movies on ITV stations?

My wife recorded the movie Red Riding Hood on ITV 2 on Sunday evening from 6.55 to 9pm. When she watched it today the recording stopped after 58 minutes and 8 seconds.