Next gen tile images

DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM in Support
I have noticed some of the tiles are blank on some programming I was wondering how youview actually obtain the tile images. Granted its not very many on programming I record but it got me really curious.

Comments

• SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 March 2017, 4:15PM
    Hi Daniel,

Good question. The image tiles are captured and stored in the cloud (hence why no internet connection = no images). If you have recordings that are older then when we started capturing them, then there won't be any image to display. 

If an image is missing from more recent programmes then there may be an issue we would need to look into.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    Some Minor issues really rocky 5 on sky movies has no image but all the rest of the Rocky movies do as I have been recording the six of them over the past week or so. Yesterday the netball super league recording had a image on the tile today its vanished. This was a recording on sky sports 2 HD. I recorded terminator 2 on ITV 4 yesterday a image was there on both half's today only one half has a image. ITV 4 split this movie in half because it had entertainment news in the middle of it. A film called anybody's night made had a image yesterday today its vanished.

I'm scheduled I tape a show called hardcore pawn. I recorded it on blaze and lifetime HD as both these channels screen the show on repeat
    Unfortunately the lifetime HD tile is correct but the blaze tiles show a picture of the hardcore pawn Chicago cast which is a completely different program.

Dog the Bounty Hunter repeats on true crime has a blank tile as well.
    That should be anybody's nightmare on true movies. Auto correct messed the title up
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭
    Another cause of blank tiles, for your list Sanj, is when you record a Series from the iOS or Android app. Until the first programme has been shown, you will see a picture tile for that one programme, and a blank tile for the series.

Things return to normal - one picture tile, for the series - after the first programme has been recorded. Or maybe after that recording has been started - I don't know the exact timing of the changeover.

Obviously, the fix is to make scheduling from the app work like scheduling from the box, where we no longer see the pair of tiles for a series, a small UI advantage that NewCoke brings.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 24 March 2017, 12:20PM
    Roy1 said:

Another cause of blank tiles, for your list Sanj, is when you record a Series from the iOS or Android app. Until the first programme has been shown, you will see a picture tile for that one programme, and a blank tile for the series.

Things return to normal - one picture tile, for the series - after the first programme has been recorded. Or maybe after that recording has been started - I don't know the exact timing of the changeover.

Obviously, the fix is to make scheduling from the app work like scheduling from the box, where we no longer see the pair of tiles for a series, a small UI advantage that NewCoke brings.

I have noticed this too. You know I'm pro next gen but even this annoyed me. I abandoned using the app for recordings until a fix is sorted for the app record issue.
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 March 2017, 1:18PM
    Roy1 said:

Thanks for highlighting this one Roy, it does sound like a bug. We'll pass this onto the Mobile Team to look into and get back to you when we know more.
    edited 24 March 2017, 8:13PM
    Roy1 said:

I just tried two movies on sky cinema and the tiles had images when recording. Not sure if its channel specific or if someone has sorted the problem the tiles blank the other day when I tested the app where a mix of freeview and IP channels. I will test some freeview channels and report back. I wonder if Roy is still having issues.
    edited 25 March 2017, 10:11PM
    Roy1 said:

Mine started to get images OK I tested after I did a soft reset for another issue I'm using a android phone I have started to wonder if Roy uses a iPhone could the blank tiles issue be isolated to the app on the iTunes store.
    edited 25 March 2017, 11:28PM
    Roy1 said:

It is only an issue on Series, not on single programmes.

It affects Android equally with iOS.

I have both, but I do not have an iPhone.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 25 March 2017, 11:00PM
    Roy1 said:

That's it too be fair I hqve mostly recording films. And the movies did get there tiles back with a soft reboot I'm going to test a series recording now
    edited 25 March 2017, 11:33PM
    Roy1 said:

I have tested 3 programs and all had images I will test some more tomorrow and post back I'm beginning to think its a intermittent issue or just on certain programs.

I have noticed not every program I recorded via the box had a image on the tile. I wonder if the program your recording actually has a image stored in youviews cloud.

Obviously if this is a issue I have a interest in seeing it fixed and I certainly don't doubt your having a issue with it. I'm just hoping its sorted before it gets worse.
    edited 26 March 2017, 11:18PM
    Roy1 said:

Three series, scheduled for recording from the YouView app?

Oh, and

edited 26 March 2017, 11:21PM
    Roy1 said:

I tried a few more I found that the 3 yesterday from the app had images. Today 3 from the app didn't have a image. 1 actually had a image when I reset by the box. The two that didn't where new shows that didn't have a image no matter what way it was set. But those where brand new shows on series 1 episode 1 so obviously youview not captured a image yet.