[Discussion] Humax software update 27.45.0

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,545Member ✭✭✭
    edited 24 March 2017, 8:28PM

I have the Humax update, and largely dislike it considerably.

The tile screen for recorded programmes is incredibly difficult to make sense of, and a huge step backwards. Instead of a clear, ordered list of programmes and groups of programmes, now I'm met with a visual confusion of pictures.

There is insufficient text on those pictures, and on the screen showing multiple recorded episodes.

This is absolutely not an improvement, and I want to revert to a written list.

I also miss the small screen on the guide page. Why would you get rid of that useful feature?!

The only thing I do like is the shortcut icon list on the initial screen, but even that has annoying pictures instead of useful text.

Obviously it's a waste of time my complaining about this, because huge corporations never admit they're wrong. But I bet Sky are happy with your changes.

"The representatives of YouView may say they value the feedback but what action are they taking to address the issues raised by so many people, all of whom seem to be of the same mind? Not a lot!"
    Sue, do you actually read this forum?
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Posts: 246Member
    edited 24 March 2017, 5:08PM

The tile screen for recorded programmes is incredibly difficult to make sense of, and a huge step backwards. Instead of a clear, ordered list of programmes and groups of programmes, now I'm met with a visual confusion of pictures.

There is insufficient text on those pictures, and on the screen showing multiple recorded episodes.

I also miss the small screen on the guide page. Why would you get rid of that useful feature?!

The only thing I do like is the shortcut icon list on the initial screen, but even that has annoying pictures instead of useful text.

Obviously it's a waste of time my complaining about this, because huge corporations never admit they're wrong. But I bet Sky are happy with your changes.

I think people are waiting for something to actually happen though. Four months so far............
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    edited 24 March 2017, 4:28PM

They may be a small minority, redchiz.

But the minority posting opinions here contra to theirs is a minority an order of magnitude smaller.
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,965Member ✭✭✭
    edited 24 March 2017, 4:11PM

Funny you should say that...
  • Edward G PercyEdward G Percy Posts: 19Member
    edited 24 March 2017, 7:36PM

The majority of users have no idea of how to complain to Youview and the most mystified are probably old people without computers. They probably had a relative or a dealer set up their TV and box for them.

When all TV's and boxes had to be retuned in 2012 many had problems.

• Alan10Alan10 Posts: 9Member
    edited 24 March 2017, 6:02PM

There are other factors that come into play when talking about minority's complaining as such,  here are a few reasons that you may feel this way:-
    • Not everyone has got so many programs as many of us, maybe having 6 or 7 programs of a series to watch, so to those, this is just a niggle they put up with perhaps.
    • Some may not follow a long series of programs, instead using 1 off specific program, or films instead.
    • Many, either suck it up, or sell it on, and get something more 'usable' instead.
    • Or they may not know about searching out for help (trust me, they are out there) like many here, such as myself.
    • Maybe they use the phone instead.
    • Or Finally (I can't think of more currently, but this gives the example), they just put up with it, they are not ones to makeair complaints, I used to be like this, but after many years of being dumped on, I start something in motion, the level I take it to is totally dependant on the situation, anything from simple emails, to official procedures.
    Just thought it may add a bit of perspective on this.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,965Member ✭✭✭
    edited 24 March 2017, 6:29PM

Alan, perspective duly noted. As is that of others. Along with prejudices, assumptions, insights, revelations, biases, hypotheses etc. Worth bearing in mind in an environment where I'm right - you're wrong is increasingly becoming the currency of what passes for debate.
  • Andrew BellingerAndrew Bellinger Posts: 11Member
    edited 24 March 2017, 11:02PM
    I tried to force my update today via maintaince mode but it did not work as per instructions on digital spy. Still waiting for my t1000 to update.
    edited 24 March 2017, 6:23PM
    Alan10 said:

We are an extreme example of how bad this update has been to us (as in er indoors), my guess is no one here has an excess of programsepisodes that we have, so picture this, you scroll back to the first episode you want to watch (which in sequential terms is the oldest one), you press play then watch it, simple so far ?

Next you have to end the program your have just watched, then scroll all the way back to where it is before being allowed to delete it, which deletes fine and is ready to press play for you to watch, again which is fine.

Then when it's finished you repeat the above to delete it, and watch the next if you wanted to, so now you think all is as it should be, and is 'working' as such, so now what can be the problem you ask ?

The working life of my remote's buttons and battery life!
    By now you probably think WTH, that is until you realise what a mammoth task this is for us (er indoors, not to mention my ears), but due to losing her parents (1 at a time), kids making it impossible to watch without interruption, throw in numerous other delays from assorted things like surgery's etc, add it all up and she has built up a sizeable backlog.

So, go back to the start of this reply, and go to the oldest episode of what she wants to watch, now imagine pressing the back button to get to it, now press that button 121 times just to get to that episode, so now move on to deleting it.
    That's another 121 presses to get there, delete works fine, and thankfully it stays put ready to watch the next episode, so you watch it, then hit stop at the end and go back to the top of this and start all over again.

Obviously 1 button press is removed after deleting each episode, so you think yeah OK, But, remember new episodes and constantly being added back to that, and even worse (if you think it could be worse) all of this is for 1 single program, we have the 1TB box, and it has 1% of space left, as there are numerous other programs on top of this one.

So I can only hope that something changes before out remote breaks having a complete breakdown, because if you think 121 episodes is going some, we have something like 480 episodes of another program, and many other variable programs between all of these.

Why on earth have you (YouView that is) taken away the old way of how you access the programs, or at least make it an option in the settings, because as best I can make out from the wife (it's 'her' box lol), previously when you accessed the program folderlist, it went from old to new, so the one to watch first was at the top, but with this new way it lists from new to old, which is crazy, who watches the newest program in a series before they have watched the older one leading up to the newest one ?

The solution to this should be simple, set an option in the settings to allow users which way round they want the order should be, just change it so it's the oldest episode at the top (like it used to be), or add a 'leapjump to' button, e.g. allow the 'rewind' button (may as well use the fast forward button in the same way as well) to have a double function, so 1 press and you jump to the other end of the list.

Any of these changes should be really simple for you to implement, and it would make a hell of a difference, to me at the very least, I can put off the guys in white coats for the short term at least, but others may find it a major help as well, so Please make this change back before my remote dies from abuse.

Sorry for not getting back sooner, I simply came to get answers, and hopefully changes to this, as opposed to being a full on member so to speak, as I just don't have that much time to spare.

fre55die If you mean the one that stands out on the left of certain posts ?
    I don't know this forum, but having been around some for a long time now, I would have to say it's because that person made a reply, as opposed to those making comments, such as I am now.

Visionman, No Problem, anything that can regain something that was the ONLY logical thing to do, brought back, the better.
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 443Member ✭✭
    edited 25 March 2017, 5:59PM

On the right/wrong topic I'd say there are no rights in this but one hell of a wrong.

That in part being that Youview released software that wasn't fit to be released to the general public because of missing functionality & functions that clearly don't work properly.

Also for the majority of users the total rewrite came as a total (nasty?) surprise , with no forewarning & no option to opt out.

To BTs credit they are giving some notice of the update I believe.

I've designed , developed & installed large,complex computer systems all over the world during my 30+years in IT & I've never seen such a cavalier approach to releasing a system as Youview has done.

I cannot believe that any Product/Marketing manager worth their salt would authorise the release of a system that had so many omissions & flawed functionality as NextGen. Especially as it was to replace a system that was working , by and large , pretty well.
    edited 24 March 2017, 6:43PM

Tim C - 
    https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/i-like-the-tiles?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilte...
    edited 24 March 2017, 7:45PM

I totally agree there, it's just one big can of worms, the sort of things conspiracy activists can have great fun in, the problem as I see it in this kind of a situation, is big business will spend a million to save a thousand, and often take the approach of sticking their head in the sand, knowing that no one has the money to challenge them directly, and just blindly plod on at their own will.

I'm not saying this is the case here, because it may be something as simple of they are taking notice, and are working on something, and are so busy doing that they don't have time to update here.

Or again they may be working on it trying to sort it out, but because they are business, they have to take care what and when they say something, incase there 'could' (bit of a stretch I know) be legal repercussions, or anything that could give someone grounds to take it further kind of thing.

We can 2nd guess anything and everything when it comes to big business, but it's not often it gets us anywhere, all we can do is hope they do listen and act on it, but a simple comment saying they are looking into varied things, or anything non committal (incase legal matters 'could arise), wouldn't be much to ask for surely.
  • fre55diefre55die Posts: 161Member
    edited 24 March 2017, 6:52PM
    Alan10 said:

We are an extreme example of how bad this update has been to us (as in er indoors), my guess is no one here has an excess of programsepisodes that we have, so picture this, you scroll back to the first episode you want to watch (which in sequential terms is the oldest one), you press play then watch it, simple so far ?

Next you have to end the program your have just watched, then scroll all the way back to where it is before being allowed to delete it, which deletes fine and is ready to press play for you to watch, again which is fine.

Then when it's finished you repeat the above to delete it, and watch the next if you wanted to, so now you think all is as it should be, and is 'working' as such, so now what can be the problem you ask ?

By now you probably think WTH, that is until you realise what a mammoth task this is for us (er indoors, not to mention my ears), but due to losing her parents (1 at a time), kids making it impossible to watch without interruption, throw in numerous other delays from assorted things like surgery's etc, add it all up and she has built up a sizeable backlog.

So, go back to the start of this reply, and go to the oldest episode of what she wants to watch, now imagine pressing the back button to get to it, now press that button 121 times just to get to that episode, so now move on to deleting it.
    That's another 121 presses to get there, delete works fine, and thankfully it stays put ready to watch the next episode, so you watch it, then hit stop at the end and go back to the top of this and start all over again.

Obviously 1 button press is removed after deleting each episode, so you think yeah OK, But, remember new episodes and constantly being added back to that, and even worse (if you think it could be worse) all of this is for 1 single program, we have the 1TB box, and it has 1% of space left, as there are numerous other programs on top of this one.

So I can only hope that something changes before out remote breaks having a complete breakdown, because if you think 121 episodes is going some, we have something like 480 episodes of another program, and many other variable programs between all of these.

Why on earth have you (YouView that is) taken away the old way of how you access the programs, or at least make it an option in the settings, because as best I can make out from the wife (it's 'her' box lol), previously when you accessed the program folderlist, it went from old to new, so the one to watch first was at the top, but with this new way it lists from new to old, which is crazy, who watches the newest program in a series before they have watched the older one leading up to the newest one ?

The solution to this should be simple, set an option in the settings to allow users which way round they want the order should be, just change it so it's the oldest episode at the top (like it used to be), or add a 'leapjump to' button, e.g. allow the 'rewind' button (may as well use the fast forward button in the same way as well) to have a double function, so 1 press and you jump to the other end of the list.

Any of these changes should be really simple for you to implement, and it would make a hell of a difference, to me at the very least, I can put off the guys in white coats for the short term at least, but others may find it a major help as well, so Please make this change back before my remote dies from abuse.

No Alan I'm talking about the one in My TV.
    edited 24 March 2017, 7:29PM
    Alan10 said:

Ah right, that's out of my abilities then (no doubt among what the other guys are talking about), I have to get presidential clearance before I'm allowed to go that far, this is er indoors unit, and I am banned from touching it incase I slip and hit the format button lol.
    edited 24 March 2017, 8:25PM

There are many such YouView comments on here. Haven't you read them?
    edited 24 March 2017, 9:29PM

If you're asking me ?
    No, I only came here as it was the only place I found that were talking about this, as well as hoping being the makers site that it would make a difference, because hope is all we have.
    I just have too much on to take something else on, that's all.
    edited 24 March 2017, 10:10PM

Sue Leightons a fan. :)

Yes Alan, I was talking to you, though note not in a bad way.
    YouView have posted many replies on here all stating they are listening and have taken everything on board. MyTV appears to be a top priority and so it should be too. :)
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Posts: 246Member
    edited 24 March 2017, 11:02PM

I tried to force my update today via maintaince mode but it did not work as per instructions on digital spy. Still waiting for my t1000 to update.

As usual, Digital Spy have got it totally wrong :~)
    There is no way of forcing anything - you get what you're given when you're given it....
  • Very AngryVery Angry Posts: 6Member
    edited 13 April 2017, 6:14AM

I thought BT machines were going to be next.
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/humax-software-update-27-45-0

Chris (Lincoln, UK)

Same for me.  Is it legal to remove the functionality of a product that has been purchased?  If a vendor advertises a product, but it is not as described when purchased, the vendor is liable under the trades descriptions act.  In this case the product was as described when sold, but has now been destroyed by the vendor without the purchaser's permission.  Unless the original software (as purchased) is returned to me, I will be looking to take action. 
    edited 25 March 2017, 10:30PM

Visionman I never thought anything nasty at all, you had done nothing more than ask a simple question, I thought nothing more of it, as you may of had some insight and told me about something about this that could have made a difference, so it's all good.
    edited 4 April 2017, 2:57PM
    Rob3 said:

Interesting that Next Gen has  been released to retail before BT. I like it, have been a trialist for a couple of months and apart from some minor niggles already identified by Keith I think it is an improvement overall. Hopefully we will see further enhancements  in the coming months and some of the long awaited features can now be added.

Sanj: What are the present numbers for and against?

edited 25 March 2017, 10:39PM
    Roy1 said:

It was taken from a newspaper.
  • fre55diefre55die Posts: 161Member
    edited 26 March 2017, 3:19AM
    fre55die said:

Hi all

I think that the main ,if controversial, decision to release this product in it's unfinished state is precisely to get customers comments. This has been built from the ground up incorporating technology not available when the initial product was launched. Youview now have a new pretty stable fundamental platform on which to add the various frills, (all of which have been added since the initial Youview product of several years ago).

Give it time to develop as they could have just released an all singing and dancing product which just is incompatible with some machines. This new platform is designed to be useable on all boxes so unlike Apple Etc. your T1000 box should still be fully functional and not need dumping when the project is completed.

By doing it this way, if there is a problem with an added function it can be rectified relatively simply and quickly.

There is still a long way to go so bear this in mind and continue adding constructive comments.

By the sound of some comments on here we'd still be using DOS or Windows 2 or 95 if listened to !!

Don't forget that to launch in 2012 the project had been in development for several years prior to this.And your Iphone  from the same period is unable to download apps. I also notice this creeping in in android and the new versions of apps seem to be considerably larger !!
  • Ken Hill1Ken Hill1 Posts: 86Member
    edited 26 March 2017, 12:01PM
    hi one off my boxs have been updaterd but i got 4k box in my liveing anyone got any new when the bt 4k boxs will be update? this going to be thanks 
  • Sarah Louise EllisSarah Louise Ellis Posts: 7Member
    edited 19 April 2017, 8:35AM
    (First post - So go easy. Lol)

I received my update on my Hummy T2100, a couple of days ago. Didn't notice til I had fixed my telly yesterday following a power board failure.

Not that impressed to be honest. It may look bright n shiny, but I relied on the list view of recordings. Mine go back 12 months, and to have them separated as lists was ideal. Not a fan of this iPlayeresque look to things.

The mini screen was another that helped. That see-through guide is not a substitute.

At least I haven't got that BT branding on screen, despite having a BT badged box.
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 443Member ✭✭
    edited 26 March 2017, 4:39PM

(First post - So go easy. Lol)

I received my update on my Hummy T2100, a couple of days ago. Didn't notice til I had fixed my telly yesterday following a power board failure.

Not that impressed to be honest. It may look bright n shiny, but I relied on the list view of recordings. Mine go back 12 months, and to have them separated as lists was ideal. Not a fan of this iPlayeresque look to things.

The mini screen was another that helped. That see-through guide is not a substitute.

At least I haven't got that BT branding on screen, despite having a BT badged box.

The branding depends on your broadband provider. If BT or TalkTalk then you have their branding otherwise not.
    edited 26 March 2017, 5:38PM
    Sarah>
    "The mini screen was another that helped. That see-through guide is not a substitute."
    One can still view the TV screen whilst browsing the EPG. See here -
    https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/how-to-use-read-the-recordings-page?topic-reply-list%5B...
    Only now its almost full screen.
  • squirrelpiesquirrelpie Posts: 16Member
    edited 3 April 2017, 9:43PM

Well I had another failed recording this afternoon. I recorded House that 100K Built on BBC2 and the box says it recorded 1 hour from 2:30pm to 3:29pm but when I go to play it, it says the programme has length 0:00.

So that's not fit for purpose as far as I am concerned.

"NB: why are you still posting in the 45 thread when 46 is out there?"

Who me? Because I'm still running this release because AFAIK 46 doesn't fix any issues I care about and my box is isolated from the intertubes until I hear there is a fix (or I scrap it)
  • Martin WardMartin Ward Posts: 69Member
    edited 3 April 2017, 9:46PM

Well I had another failed recording this afternoon. I recorded House that 100K Built on BBC2 and the box says it recorded 1 hour from 2:30pm to 3:29pm but when I go to play it, it says the programme has length 0:00.

So that's not fit for purpose as far as I am concerned.

Same here, my box is disconnected from the internet as well, until hear there is a fix, then it will be connected for the fix and disconnected again
  • Mike Williams1Mike Williams1 Posts: 48Member
    edited 10 April 2017, 2:19AM
    Rob3 said:

Interesting that Next Gen has  been released to retail before BT. I like it, have been a trialist for a couple of months and apart from some minor niggles already identified by Keith I think it is an improvement overall. Hopefully we will see further enhancements  in the coming months and some of the long awaited features can now be added.

We hate the update.

1. In the new visual list of recorded programs you can't​ see the wood for the trees. Every time a new recording is added to a folder the image changes to one from the latest recording, so to can never find anything.

2. Because of the stupidly of the broadcasters labelling 75% of the programs as "New:" the hard to read text is all the blinking same.

3. There is now a dangerous option where you can delete a whole folder.

4. Why when finishing a recording does it now go back to the top level? Most times after you have finished viewing a recording you want to delete it. It now takes lots more button pushes to delete the last viewed program and due to the new dangerous delete folder option can lead to accidentally deleting a whole series.

5. Can we please have an option for to bring back the "old" plain text screens?

6. Please bring back the small live view in the top right instead of the stupid transparency mallarky.