I hate this new update.

LyndaLynda Member Posts: 6
edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM in Support
I hate this new update. The whole screen layout is confusing, has no order to it, functionality is now less than before and much more complicated to use. I bet some graduate developed this on a very large monitor, did you test this with users at all before releasing? Did you actually listen to any feedback because it seems to me from reading all the posts that this is disasterous in terms of public response. Please give people the option to reverse it or like otherwise I will sacrifice all my recordings and not use this box any more.

Comments

• James12James12 Member Posts: 7
    edited 20 May 2017, 4:13PM
    I agree. It has the hallmarks of an inexperienced graduate attempt. No industrial experience. Dreadful.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    Next gen is here to stay confirmed features for return are action panel discovery and hide channels these are unlikely to make a return until sometime after rollout is complete. BT are planning to finish in June but obviously it takes time to write and test thing's. Just for the record I'm a user such as yourself and am not associated with youview in any way. I do like this update though. What I do know is some members have had this software for many months and it did get tested with users before wide release. I wasn't part of the trial for this but I'm sure things will have been mentioned what people had issues with. Most companies before allowing test software out make people agree to a NDA which is most likely the reason no one posted anything on the public forum during the test period. Its standard practice.
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 May 2017, 7:47AM
    Hi Lynda,

Thanks for taking the time to feed back. Here's a few things that might help:

Menu
    The current menu layout is quite similar to the Original YouView menu. When you press the YouView / Y button on your remote you still have Guide / Players & Apps / MyTV / Settings in the same order as you did before. You can press OK on the titles to go to those areas or you can use some of the shortcuts to your content underneath. 

Search
    The search area is now a spyglass icon on the far left of the menu. Or you could use the Search Button on your remote.

Recordings
    In MyTV, the layout there is in date order that is arranged from left to right as opposed to top to bottom. We've received a lot of customer feedback for MyTV and our Communications and Support Manager, Phil has responded to this in another thread. Feel free to give it a read. 

Features
    We have also confirmed some features that are missing will be reintroduced again soon. See our the Important Information section in our release notes. Extensive user testing has been carried out in development and it is our absolute priority that the interface is easy to use. That's why we appreciate your feedback and will pass it on to our Product Team.

I hope this helps you familiarise yourself with the new layout and re-assures you that we do test and listen to our users. If you need any more assistance with other areas in the new layout please let us know and hopefully we can lend a hand.  
  • LyndaLynda Member Posts: 6
    edited 20 May 2017, 10:11PM
    Daniel4 said:

Next gen is here to stay confirmed features for return are action panel discovery and hide channels these are unlikely to make a return until sometime after rollout is complete. BT are planning to finish in June but obviously it takes time to write and test thing's. Just for the record I'm a user such as yourself and am not associated with youview in any way. I do like this update though. What I do know is some members have had this software for many months and it did get tested with users before wide release. I wasn't part of the trial for this but I'm sure things will have been mentioned what people had issues with. Most companies before allowing test software out make people agree to a NDA which is most likely the reason no one posted anything on the public forum during the test period. Its standard practice.

Just to finish my part of this conversation and to counter the slight arrogance of the "Next Gen" response.  I have been in IT for 20 years and there is always a next gen change it is inevitable to improve by adding extra  functionality and make users life easier.  I think that is the point that this update has forgotten.

My opinion,  for what it is worth:

There are several aspects of this which have not been thought through.

What shouldn't be forgotten is that this is NOT being viewed on a mobile platform where you can expand or contract pictures at will,  and have more three dimensional response.  It is being viewed on TV screens where there is only a TV remote to use that allows only two dimensions, up/down / left or right.  So what the major TV providers have not forgotten yet is that the easiest way for viewers to use that is via a list menu system, neither Sky or Virgin have gone down this route for TV users.  Don't forget that most people are viewing this 10 /20 feet away from the TV screen and we don't all have 50" TVs (or want them).  So the display of the pictures is not helpful and what is the point of the larger one?  The introductory menu  covers  far too much of the screen and what is the point of the black shading at the top.  In any case if I want that knowledge I will press the guide button.

But more importantly I paid good money to purchase this box and have been very happy with it until now.  So "you view" by this ill thought through roll out you have ruined it for me,  it quite unusable and I am seriously considering going back to Virgin (what a thought!) and what a waste of money that is for me. 

What I don't understand is that normally when the roll out of completely new functionality is made,  it is kept to new boxes,  where people can view it before hand and make an informed decision about what they want to buy.  Not by issuing it to people who have not asked for it.  In fact that is normally an inducement to buy a new box.  Eventually you stop supporting the older boxes and life moves on, but  at the pace the people using it want that to happen.

I see that you have received feedback from thousands of people telling you they don't like it but no acknowledgement that this is a mistake and will roll back.  So clearly this forum is a waste of time.

• James12James12 Member Posts: 7
    Daniel4 said:

Excellently argued. All points covered.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭
    Daniel4 said:

"Excellently argued." And balanced and well thought out too.
    Lynda, would you like the opportunity to help shape the future of this half finished UI by becoming a trialist? 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 608 ✭✭
    edited 8 May 2017, 10:43PM
    Daniel4 said:

Certainly users of Lynda's experience would be beneficial to the process as those existing trialists seem to have failed the general population.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 March 2017, 6:03PM
    Daniel4 said:

Hi Tim - you can rest assured all the 'issues' with the next gen software will have been reported to YouView by trialists before it was released. A question would thus seem to be whether the pool of trialists as a whole is representative of the wider user base and/or whether YouView give appropriate weight to certain types of feedback or certain individuals comments. The same can equally be said now where on this forum one would consider the feedback is significantly more negative than positive about next gen yet YouView indicate they have other sources of feedback from which they conclude that overall next gen is being well received. YouView are of course listening to all the feedback and have confirmed missing features such as channel hiding will return soon. They have also acknowledged there is work to be done on the poor journeys in and out of MyTV series tiles. Whether they will ultimately conclude there is sufficient support for an alternative MyTV view that is more list like is less clear. I've given my thoughts on tiles at length recently on another topic  (and of course my thoughts overall on next gen were document the day it released) :)
    edited 6 August 2017, 4:57PM
    Its late on a Sunday night but send me the details of being a trialist and then we can talk some more.  But a basic question would be why launch something half finished? 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 March 2017, 11:19PM
    Lynda said:

Its late on a Sunday night but send me the details of being a trialist and then we can talk some more.  But a basic question would be why launch something half finished? 

Ther's an excellent TV series on at the moment called 'Follow The Money'.

Or as the Latin has it, 'Cui bono?' (Who benefits?)

A certain amount of contemplation of these precepts may prove illuminating :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 March 2017, 4:18PM
    Lynda said:

Hi Lynda, if you want to participate in trials you can contact our Trials Team at: [email protected]
  • Chris CaineChris Caine Member Posts: 1
    edited 19 May 2017, 8:43PM
    Sanj said:

Hi Lynda,

Thanks for taking the time to feed back. Here's a few things that might help:

Menu
    The current menu layout is quite similar to the Original YouView menu. When you press the YouView / Y button on your remote you still have Guide / Players & Apps / MyTV / Settings in the same order as you did before. You can press OK on the titles to go to those areas or you can use some of the shortcuts to your content underneath. 

Search
    The search area is now a spyglass icon on the far left of the menu. Or you could use the Search Button on your remote.

Recordings
    In MyTV, the layout there is in date order that is arranged from left to right as opposed to top to bottom. We've received a lot of customer feedback for MyTV and our Communications and Support Manager, Phil has responded to this in another thread. Feel free to give it a read. 

Features
    We have also confirmed some features that are missing will be reintroduced again soon. See our the Important Information section in our release notes. Extensive user testing has been carried out in development and it is our absolute priority that the interface is easy to use. That's why we appreciate your feedback and will pass it on to our Product Team.

I hope this helps you familiarise yourself with the new layout and re-assures you that we do test and listen to our users. If you need any more assistance with other areas in the new layout please let us know and hopefully we can lend a hand.  

I also hate it. Before we could view programmes, films etc that we may have missed or not known about. Now all we have is "search" so unless you know exactly what you are searching for this is useless.
  • John DoughtyJohn Doughty Member Posts: 1
    edited 16 May 2017, 5:49PM
    Lynda said:

I hate this update too, very confusing and worst of all simply introduced without any warning this was going to happen. Brilliant !! Clearly BT are trying to force me back to Sky for my TV viewing.
    edited 16 May 2017, 7:04PM
    Lynda said:

You got an email about it. And yes you did. And no they are not.
    edited 18 May 2017, 11:21PM
    Lynda said:

Was that one that said:-

"The product will be incomplete

Things you have grown familiar with will be summarily replaced by features you may find inferior

Apologies, but we seem to have forgotten how to create a decent UI

Sorry, but all the back journeys will be tragic, as we have no idea how to pop and push a stack

Or at least, that is what it will seem like"

As I don't think BT or YouView sent out one like that :-(
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 16 May 2017, 8:21PM
    Lynda said:

I cannot disagree with that.
    edited 18 May 2017, 9:24PM
    Lynda said:

I think there is an opportunity to turn this around and for Youview to become well regarded as one of the best by listening to its users.  You could allow people the choice by giving them options within the setup screen:  They could have the choice within the settings of:

1. MY TV - Do you want to see thumbnails or list view?

2. Start-up - Do you want to use the Youview start-up screen or go straight to the channel and use the buttons on the remote to call up those screens?

3.  Do you want half the screen occupied by black top and bottom bar or not?

4. Recordings - when you have a series recorded and you finish watching one,  when you press the back button do you want it to go back to the series screen or back to the full recording listing?

Just a thought? - what are the odds?

edited 18 May 2017, 9:43PM
    Lynda said:

4. has already been quickly addressed with the release of 27.50. Just press enter and you will fall back onto the episode you've just watched.
    So theres hope for the rest...
  • Nick7Nick7 Member Posts: 88
    edited 18 May 2017, 11:26PM
    Lynda said:

When you press stop after watching an episode of a series, it throws you back to the full recording list, not the series folder.. That needs to be sorted?? Its stupid....Bring back alternate recording suggestions too. And a list instead of tiles.. And discover... And the "skip forward loads" ability with the forward arrow button.
    edited 18 May 2017, 11:54PM
    Lynda said:

You do not address my point to Lynda?
  • skillerskiller Member Posts: 305 ✭✭
    edited 19 May 2017, 2:16AM
    Lynda said:

Anyone suggesting that release 27.50 enables you to press enter/OK on a series tile to land you on to the episode you have most recently watched is either mistaken or perhaps confusing him/herself with a future version of the software that hasn't yet been publicly released.

Either way, they should think before posting such erroneous information.
    edited 19 May 2017, 7:52AM
    Lynda said:

Before skiller gets anyone's hopes up by suggesting that such a future version might exist, I wish to report that I am on 28.23.0, and both Back and OK, when you have finished watching an episode of a series, leave you on the Recordings screen, focussed on the tile for the Series in question.

Exactly as Nick reports, on whatever release he has; so Visionman actually needs to try this, and see if he does not now want to revise his point to Lynda.

I suspect he is harking back to the days when, after watching an episode, you were thrown back to live TV; it is rather alarming to realise that the current situation, still very far from ideal, is actually an improvement on what went before.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 May 2017, 11:47PM
    Have you left the YouView trials programme Roy?
    edited 19 May 2017, 10:19AM
    jimb said:

No, but it might have left me :-)
    edited 19 May 2017, 12:19PM
    Lynda said:

My apologies. I was confusing old and new....
    Sorry about that.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 May 2017, 10:25PM
    jimb said:

So are you able to report that all your boxes are on 28.23.0?
    edited 20 May 2017, 12:53AM
    jimb said:

28.23 is a public release, jimb.
  • skillerskiller Member Posts: 305 ✭✭
    edited 20 May 2017, 3:59AM
    Lynda said:

Roy said:
    I suspect he is harking back to the days when, after watching an episode, you were thrown back to live TV
    Can you remind me of how that worked exactly? I've had YouView for quite a few years (not as many as you, I dare say) and don't remember that behaviour at all. I could do with a reminder. :)
    edited 20 May 2017, 6:23AM
    Lynda said:

It was the very early days of NextGen. As you are a BT customer, you may not have had the release(s) that did this,
    edited 20 May 2017, 6:32AM
    jimb said:

Yes, I can report that.

I suspect that jimb knows 28.23.0 is public, albeit Retail only, but is hoping that I can't report that all my boxes have it, because I have a box with a later, trials, release :-)