NextGen updates on non-BT/TT etc ISPs

skillerskiller Member Posts: 295 ✭✭
edited 9 August 2017, 8:07AM in Support
Before anyone asks, this is not a "Why hasn't my box been updated yet?" complaint, but more of a request for information about rollouts.

I've been a YouView user and following this forum long enough now to know that rollouts are dependent on the provenance of the box rather than its current usage (ie the ISP currently connected to and the TV package subscribed to).

At least I thought I knew... until now.

I have a TalkTalk DN360T.
The rollout of NextGen to this box model began on 28/11/16.
This box has still not been updated.

I have a BT T2100.
The rollout of NextGen to this box model began on 16/03/17.
This box has still not been updated.

I have a BT T1000.
The rollout of NextGen to this box model began on 29/03/17.
This box updated within the first day of rollout.

Now... My T1000 happens to be connected to a BT line with a BT TV subscription. But my other two boxes are in use at another property on a Sky broadband line.

So I'm beginning to wonder... If I bring my T2100 box (or even the 360T) from the Sky house over to the BT house, would it suddenly get the update?

Statements like the following from the official update announcements do suggest as much. I initially just thought it was a slightly lazy way of describing the recipients of the updates, but now I'm not so sure:

"We're proud to bring TalkTalk customers an exciting new update that's rolling out today."

"We're proud to bring the Next Generation of YouView to ... BT TV customers."

Comments

• skillerskiller Member Posts: 295 ✭✭
    edited 31 March 2017, 9:17PM
    ...And as if by magic, my T2100 updated today to NextGen on a Sky Broadband line, so this thread is perhaps rather meaningless now.

My 360T is still feeling somewhat "left behind" though. :-(
  • MdmMdm Member Posts: 16
    edited 31 March 2017, 6:06PM
    skiller said:

...And as if by magic, my T2100 updated today to NextGen on a Sky Broadband line, so this thread is perhaps rather meaningless now.

I also have the 360T bought 2nd hand. It wouldn't update despite the youview support page stating that rollout was complete. Took it to my parents house who are on talktalk and it updated straight away
    edited 31 March 2017, 1:49PM
    skiller said:

I'm on plusnet by the way so I do think it's ISP specific, with the talktalk update anyway
    edited 31 March 2017, 6:08PM
    skiller said:

Interesting, Mdm.

Although I think the support page still says the 360T rollout is still in progress.
    https://support.youview.com/youview-b...
    edited 31 March 2017, 9:07PM
    skiller said:

Are you sure?
    edited 31 March 2017, 9:23PM
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭
    edited 31 March 2017, 9:17PM
    skiller said:

Surely that says that the 360T rollout hasn't started?
    edited 31 March 2017, 9:16PM
    Mdm said:

Very interesting!

Your screenshot is the desktop site and shows, as you say, that the 360T NextGen rollout is complete. However, when I look at the mobile version of that page, it looks like this:
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭
    edited 31 March 2017, 9:23PM
    Mdm said:

And the page that links to says that the DN360T rollout started last November.
  • speedyritespeedyrite Member Posts: 81
    edited 9 August 2017, 8:07AM
    Our BT Retail box: DTR- T2110 / 84B08530 on Sky Broadband was updated to 27.47.0 yesterday (31/03/2017).
    edited 28 May 2017, 2:16AM
    Sanj/Stephen/Phil...

Could one of you confirm whether or not the rollout of NextGen to TalkTalk DN360T boxes is complete or not?

As you can see from the conflicting screenshots above, it is unclear.

If it has indeed completed, then I'm afraid your "no box left behind" policy has failed!
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,802 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 April 2017, 3:57PM
    skiller said:

Sanj/Stephen/Phil...

Could one of you confirm whether or not the rollout of NextGen to TalkTalk DN360T boxes is complete or not?

If it has indeed completed, then I'm afraid your "no box left behind" policy has failed!

'No box left behind' refers to YouView avoiding the Apple-style stranding of older devices, which are progressively denied later and later versions of iOS.

Your box could be updated; why it isn't is a separate issue.
    Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against
  • Adrian Wood1Adrian Wood1 Member Posts: 235
    edited 9 April 2017, 4:40PM
    Given all the above, I might have a similar problem.  I have a BT dtr-t2100 box but my ISP is TalkTalk,  It hasn't updated yet.  Is it likely I just need to wait for the rollout to complete, or could it be that I won't get the update unless it is attached to BT broadband?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 April 2017, 4:40PM

Given all the above, I might have a similar problem.  I have a BT dtr-t2100 box but my ISP is TalkTalk,  It hasn't updated yet.  Is it likely I just need to wait for the rollout to complete, or could it be that I won't get the update unless it is attached to BT broadband?

You just just need to wait for the rollout to complete.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 9 April 2017, 4:46PM
    Just to confirm - every box on every line will update in time.
    edited 27 May 2017, 12:59AM
    skiller said:

Sanj/Stephen/Phil...

Well, for those of you who, I'm sure, haven't been able to get a good night's sleep since hearing my DN360T was still waiting for its NextGen update, I can put your minds at rest.

Only a trifling 179 days after the initial rollout to my box began, it has finally arrived - jumping straight to the most recently rolled out version, 60.43.166.

Despite being prepared for this day, I am now sad that my one remaining box still to retain the Discover feature up until yesterday, now now longer has it.

And it's the one box I have that particularly used to make use of it, as it's not a recording box.

Let's hope it's not too long before that piece of functionality returns.
    edited 27 May 2017, 1:47AM
    skiller said:

Sanj/Stephen/Phil...

May I ask a stupid question? What and how do you use the Discover function for?
    And why is it so useful? As I've never really understood it. 
    edited 27 May 2017, 2:03AM
    skiller said:

Sanj/Stephen/Phil...

It is not a stupid question, although I am surprised that you don't understand the use for Discover, as I'm sure you must know what it does.

Like I said, I find it most useful on a zapper box; on a recording box, I will always have recordings waiting for me to watch, so not so much of a need.

But on a zapper, I like the fact I can choose to drill down into TV/Drama/Crime (for example) and be presented with a plethora of similarly-themed programmes available to me from the various catch-up players. I can usually find something interesting to watch that takes my fancy.

I must add, it is of course presented (and this is OldGen we're talking about, remember) in a beautiful tiled graphical grid. ;-)
    edited 27 May 2017, 2:41AM
    skiller said:

Sanj/Stephen/Phil...

No, and I still don't get it. And I Beta tested this. I just said/told YouView 'Yes, it works'. And then asked YouView 'Whats it for?' They gave me a reply but I really didn't get it.
    So how and what is it for? And why do users miss it so much?
    edited 28 May 2017, 8:44PM
    skiller said:

Sanj/Stephen/Phil...

And what was YouView's reply that you didn't understand?

Was my detailed explanation of why I miss it not good enough for you that you had to ask the same question again?

Sometimes you do worry me.