"The tiles are staying."

jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭
edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM in Discussion
"The tiles are staying."
I've lost count of how many times this comment or something similar has been said recently.
It has usually been in the context of a discussion about the possibility of a list view in MyTV.
And many people might interpret this statement to mean that there is no chance of a list view.

My opinion is that there is very little chance of MyTV changing to a list view, or of a list view becoming available as an option. But, again in my opinion, I think it would be wrong to assume that there is absolutely no chance.

It's worth mentioning that the possibility of this arose as far back as three months ago when one of TalkTalk's staff said in a forum post:
...The good news is we are exploring the introduction of the list view for recordings...
But of course since then there has been no official statement as to whether or not this is still under consideration.

So if contributors to this forum feel strongly that they would like to have a list view then, in my opinion, they should certainly not be deterred from making their wishes felt.
And I for one would very much encourage this.

Comments

• Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 506 ✭✭
    edited 7 June 2017, 6:34PM
    My position is that if a list view is not made available then Youview will no longer in use in my house, which would be a great shame because it's been working well for me. That'll be 3 boxes on ebay.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    I would support a List View option as well.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 April 2017, 7:28PM

I would support a List View option as well.

Here you go:-

These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 April 2017, 7:28PM
    Tim C said:

My position is that if a list view is not made available then Youview will no longer in use in my house, which would be a great shame because it's been working well for me. That'll be 3 boxes on ebay.

Looks like they'll be 3 boxes going on ebay, then.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 19 April 2017, 2:32PM
    Tim C said:

Won't be the only ones i bet.
  • Matthew JohnsMatthew Johns Member Posts: 98
    edited 3 April 2017, 3:44PM
    One month in and SWMBO has stopped watching recorded programmes, only uses iPlayer.
    edited 17 July 2017, 6:49PM
    Say hello to YouView 2.0 and the tiles are staying.
    Moving forward they will be improved, but they are staying.
    edited 22 April 2017, 3:23PM
    Visionman said:

Just how many times do you need to keep repeating this?
  • DaveGrohlDaveGrohl Member Posts: 80
    edited 18 April 2017, 8:15PM
    Visionman said:

It's called spam Tim.
    edited 19 April 2017, 10:29AM
    Visionman said:

As many times as I choose, Tim
    As Visionman is so adamant in repeatedly telling us that 'the tiles are staying', and with such a degree of certainty, we must assume that he has inside knowledge. Therefore, this is the current stance of the YouView team, whether we like it or not.

So - it is not an unreasonable assumption that the message for this forum (passed on from YouView via the mouthpiece of Visionman) is - 'shut up moaning - like it or lump it.'

(I was going to add a French phrase - "the more it changes, the more it stays the same" - but then remembered that a few years ago I had a post deleted by the forum Stasi for using foreign words... )
    edited 18 April 2017, 9:02PM

As Visionman is so adamant in repeatedly telling us that 'the tiles are staying', and with such a degree of certainty, we must assume that he has inside knowledge. Therefore, this is the current stance of the YouView team, whether we like it or not.

So - it is not an unreasonable assumption that the message for this forum (passed on from YouView via the mouthpiece of Visionman) is - 'shut up moaning - like it or lump it.'

(I was going to add a French phrase - "the more it changes, the more it stays the same" - but then remembered that a few years ago I had a post deleted by the forum Stasi for using foreign words... )

I'm disappointed that you of all people have chosen to verbally attack me.
    I'll say no more on the matter.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 April 2017, 9:53PM

Churchwarden, you may take it that since Visionman thinks this is an attack, which it would not be if your deduction was accurate, that your deduction is in fact wide of the mark.

My view is that despite all they have invested in the tiles, any sane person in YouView at the moment would be saying "Well, OK, if it's such a big deal, what would be involved in providing a List View as an alternative?"

Now, the answer may well be "too much to make it feasible"; but I would lose all faith in YouView if the question was not at least being asked, and considered.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    edited 18 April 2017, 11:13PM

It was not meant as an attack, and I apologise, Visionman, if you feel that. My view was that, as far as I was aware, YouView had not made any statement related to this, but you were making definitive statements, suggesting you knew for sure. My error.
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    If the truth be known I only have one mouthpiece and thats my own and I speak for no one on here but myself. So....
    Welcome to YouView 2.0, which as snazzy as calling the now connected box severs 'The Cloud' is also snazzily called NextGen. 
    So, say hello to YV 2.0 and its not going anywhere. They won't be 'putting it back' or reverting to the old software. Its here to stay. 
    Have YouView considered offering a dual GUI? Yes they have as TalkTalk, who love to TalkTalk, have previously confirmed so.
    But will they? No chance in my opinion. In fact I'd rate it as far as 0.01%. 
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 April 2017, 10:49PM
    Visionman said:

If the truth be known I only have one mouthpiece and thats my own and I speak for no one on here but myself. So....
    Welcome to YouView 2.0, which as snazzy as calling the now connected box severs 'The Cloud' is also snazzily called NextGen. 
    So, say hello to YV 2.0 and its not going anywhere. They won't be 'putting it back' or reverting to the old software. Its here to stay. 
    Have YouView considered offering a dual GUI? Yes they have as TalkTalk, who love to TalkTalk, have previously confirmed so.

I agree it's probably not cost effective to suss out and program list view in next gen. An duel gui would be quite a unique thing would it be good in terms of getting rid of complaints on the forum sure. Is it likely probably not going to happen. Yes lots of people have. complained on here but it's only going to be a fraction of the userbase let's not forget IMO of course.
  • MrMcgMrMcg Member Posts: 105
    edited 1 May 2017, 9:33AM
    I have read this phrase from several sources recently.
    Glad to see it have a topic of it's own.
    What I am getting slightly fed up about is it being repeated so brusquely to new members and posters. Many people are coming here for the first time, annoyed and frustrated about a product they own being changed - without their consent - to something they deem inferior. Many are venting frustration, and I think they deserve a more sympathetic ear. Yes, it is hard for the veterans who must have been riding this storm for months already. You have my sympathy.

The other issue I have is that this statement is made with an air of certainty, but has  no evidence or fact (that I have found or seen yet) to back it up.
    The very fact that the venerable Roy posted here and on another thread just a few minutes ago that the current user feedback on this forum can shape the plans for future development, surely means that there is still a chance for the lists if enough people want them.
    So, please, to all those people who are being so emphatic about the death of the list, either come up with some solid proof, or be a little softer, please.
  • CegCeg Member Posts: 184
    edited 18 April 2017, 11:17PM
    Visionman said:

It's not a dual UI, it's just changing the way data is displayed on one screen.

They could bury the toggle in settings and be done with it.

What makes you think it wouldn't be cost effective?
    edited 19 April 2017, 7:55AM
    MrMcg said:

I have read this phrase from several sources recently.
    Glad to see it have a topic of it's own.
    What I am getting slightly fed up about is it being repeated so brusquely to new members and posters. Many people are coming here for the first time, annoyed and frustrated about a product they own being changed - without their consent - to something they deem inferior. Many are venting frustration, and I think they deserve a more sympathetic ear. Yes, it is hard for the veterans who must have been riding this storm for months already. You have my sympathy.

The other issue I have is that this statement is made with an air of certainty, but has  no evidence or fact (that I have found or seen yet) to back it up.
    The very fact that the venerable Roy posted here and on another thread just a few minutes ago that the current user feedback on this forum can shape the plans for future development, surely means that there is still a chance for the lists if enough people want them.
    So, please, to all those people who are being so emphatic about the death of the list, either come up with some solid proof, or be a little softer, please.

And of course, to all of those that don't like the tiles, tell Youview directly.
    edited 18 April 2017, 11:28PM
    Visionman said:

Of course it would be a duel ui.

Ui 1 tiles
    Ui two lists

Even if it is a toggle on off in the settings its a duel ui. Most uis on set top boxes have 1 ui.

It wouldn't be cost effective as youview are moving to image based to keep up with other providers. They would then have to develop a code for lists to be working with existing next gen software say what you want but this is not free. And will the shareholders see value in it probably not. There is no going back but I'm sure youview would be happy to listen to ways to improve the tiles. If they where worried about the complaints on the forum rollout would have been suspended that didn't happen.

They obviously listen to feedback but realistically the lists are dead.
    edited 18 April 2017, 11:40PM
    Visionman said:

If I wanted my surname to be published I would have used it.

I think you've abused your position.

So just how do you report someone on this forum?
    edited 19 April 2017, 12:01AM
    Visionman said:

And what position would that be Tim? 
  • WayneWayne Member Posts: 82
    edited 19 April 2017, 12:03AM
    Visionman said:

Tim, you can email [email protected]
    edited 19 April 2017, 2:45PM
    Visionman said:

Not a dual UI, every single other screen on the box would be exactly the same except the recordings page. If anything the work needed would be a tiny amount of what they've put in to grab images and have one large tile next to smaller ones.

Humax boxes have had the ability to switch between a tiled and list view just for the recordings, without any other screen changing.

All the data is already there, it's just a case of displaying it differently.
    edited 19 April 2017, 12:19AM
    Visionman said:

Even in your scenario it would still cost. Just because humax have done what your requesting makes no difference. Humax is a separate company who literally supply the hardware. Youview are responsible for software and unfortunately would have zero access to humaxs records on top of that how do you or anyone know humaxs code would be compatible with the cloud. There is too many what ifs. I'm not against lists returning as long as they kept tiles for people who like the modern look instead of the prehistoric look but unfortunately we have to be realistic and it at the moment if you weigh everything up looks like a non starter.
    edited 19 April 2017, 2:44PM
    Visionman said:

I'm not saying they can take code from Humax, I was simply giving an example of it being done as you suggested earlier on that this was out of the ordinary.
    edited 19 April 2017, 12:30AM
    Visionman said:

It still is out of the ordinary just because it's been done on one box don't mean it's easy to do on other boxes different software has different capabilities and as this is not already coded it would cost money and its highly unlikely to be done in any scenario be it two uis or a skin on the my tv don't you think youview have more important features to reintroduce instead of a outdated view that hardly any modern box uses anymore. And your clutching at straws if you think you can find a good amount of set top boxes that have a antique list view as well as image based.
    A handful of a handful...
    Can't make an omelette and all that. YouView needed to move forward and so they have.
    That its currently poor there is no doubt. Well, I wouldn't have, but there you go...

The next UI interface that is going to be launched very shortly will address some of the issues and user journeys raised, and so is a start.
    edited 19 April 2017, 2:44PM
    Visionman said:

Antique, your hyperbole is the best.

I still want to know why you think it's highly unlikely. Youview have listened about their other mistakes, why not this one as well?

It is most likely a minimal amount of code, shifting around what they are already displaying and dropping the images. The code is already there!

They have, and will spend longer reintroducing removed features and rectifying bugs than it would probably take to add a list view.
    edited 19 April 2017, 1:07AM
    Visionman said:

Leave it Daniel. As it will just descend into a row, which isn't the purpose of this forum.