Forum feedback on MyTV in Next Gen software

Comments

• Ed JenningsEd Jennings Member Posts: 3
    edited 16 April 2017, 9:27PM

Phil, Why should we have to wait for something we already had a month ago, the fact that features missing that were there before this update, shows that is was not ready for release. If you really are listening to us, give us back the original software and when you have fully fixed and sorted out this new one then roll it out.

As for the key themes you mentioned, we don't want tiles of any description, we want nice easy to read lists, surely it can't be that hard to give the option to have lists or tiles.

This upgrade appears to be the work of kids playing with software programming. They have probably never used the product in the real world.
  • SRBSRB Member Posts: 15
    edited 3 April 2017, 10:26PM
    Mother in Law's box updated today - her channel order is all wrong, have restarted the box, no difference. image Anyone else having this issue?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 April 2017, 10:47PM

Phil, Why should we have to wait for something we already had a month ago, the fact that features missing that were there before this update, shows that is was not ready for release. If you really are listening to us, give us back the original software and when you have fully fixed and sorted out this new one then roll it out.

As for the key themes you mentioned, we don't want tiles of any description, we want nice easy to read lists, surely it can't be that hard to give the option to have lists or tiles.

Your opinion, and that of anyone who Likes your postings, is woefully uninformed then.

Have you ever coded for a living? If not, you should not malign those who do; and if you have, then you should know very well what can happen between intention and execution.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 April 2017, 11:01PM
    SRB said:

Mother in Law's box updated today - her channel order is all wrong, have restarted the box, no difference. image Anyone else having this issue?

I think just the channel logos are wrong for some reason. They should hopefully rectify themselves overnight. You can always switch them to text in the settings menu until that point though.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 April 2017, 11:08PM
    SRB said:

Mine are OK at the minute I have come across the odd logo vanishing but nothing like this
    edited 4 April 2017, 10:18AM
    Called in this morning, EPG appears to be ok. Have switched the logos off as when scrolling they kept vanishing, then coming back. Mother In Law found that a bit confusing. Hardly a surprise, but she really doesn't like the My TV section at all. One other odd thing I noticed. The box states "Broadband connection unavailable", yet clearly it is connected as internet channels and players are all working perfectly. As it obviously is connected, I tried setting a static IP address. Still the settings screen states "connection unavailable".
    edited 4 April 2017, 9:08AM
    Ah! The YV app no longer works because of the above. That is really not going to go down well....
  • Matthew JohnsMatthew Johns Member Posts: 98
    edited 10 April 2017, 3:16PM

There are those on here who tell us that the tiles are here to stay, I say to them "Microsoft Windows & the Metro interface". Only a couple of years ago Microsoft did away with the text-based start menu and changed to a tile based one. This proved so unpopular that they were forced to reinstate the text based start menu, giving us users a choice. Tiles are here to stay? Not necessarily, only time will tell.

iPlayer, ITV player, Demand 5, More4, Netflix NowTv and Amazon use a tile view when browsing to find new programmes you might be interested in. The moment you know what you're after and use the search facility they revert to *whisper it* a list view. I think that users probably go to myTV when they know what programme they're after. They recorded it after all.
    Therefore I suggest the default industry view when looking for a specific progamme is:
    • List
    edited 4 April 2017, 10:08AM

There are those on here who tell us that the tiles are here to stay, I say to them "Microsoft Windows & the Metro interface". Only a couple of years ago Microsoft did away with the text-based start menu and changed to a tile based one. This proved so unpopular that they were forced to reinstate the text based start menu, giving us users a choice. Tiles are here to stay? Not necessarily, only time will tell.

I can name a few boxes that use image view. The industry standard is certainly not list even if it is preferred by users as unfortunate as that may be.
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 April 2017, 10:18AM
    SRB said:

Called in this morning, EPG appears to be ok. Have switched the logos off as when scrolling they kept vanishing, then coming back. Mother In Law found that a bit confusing. Hardly a surprise, but she really doesn't like the My TV section at all. One other odd thing I noticed. The box states "Broadband connection unavailable", yet clearly it is connected as internet channels and players are all working perfectly. As it obviously is connected, I tried setting a static IP address. Still the settings screen states "connection unavailable".

Hi SRB, that doesn't sound great. I looked into this and found it is a known issue. This is something that we are looking to fix. In the meantime if you try a manual software update this should show you as connected again. Go to settings > System Information > Update Software.

Let us know how you get on.
  • roy hroy h Member Posts: 2
    edited 8 May 2017, 10:46PM

Having just subscribed to this for the first time, I have no idea whether anybody at BT who is responsible for the appalling upgrade ACTUALLY READS OR TAKES ANY NOTICE OF THE GROWING VOLUME OF OBJECTION TO THIS UPGRADE!

My wife and I have a large volume of recorded material that we just want to find our way to easily and quickly.  That worked perfectly on the previous software.  From what I can understand from current posts, the absence of a list function is heartily detested.  Will someone, somewhere at BT let us know whether you are listening and, if so, whether you have plans for an old-fashioned, legible, user list function for access to recorded programmes.  Hello - anybode there at BT?
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 April 2017, 10:56PM

Have you tried asking at the BT Forum?
  • MattManMattMan Member Posts: 277
    edited 4 April 2017, 9:22PM
    Visionman said:

I'd just like to recommend that if you have a forward thinking attitude, are willing to try new things and are prepared to give up your own time to provide feature testing activities and feedback, becoming a trialist can be a a very rewarding activity.
    Be warned though, the majority of people on the trials forum like the tiles, with a tweak or two here or there, of course. :)

I have signed to become a trails, done the bit on the Internet about information on the box but have not heard back.
  • lloydoflondonlloydoflondon Member Posts: 296
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    My box updated over the weekend. Actually during the Liverpool match, which meant I missed most of the first half. Anyway I won't comment any more about what faults have already been highlighted by others.
    Just to say, when you update the MyView section please, please please, get someone who knows what they are doing to handle that part. I've done a lot of the hard work already & can recommend this guy, he looks like he knows what he's talking about!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F40i6IT1K8
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 April 2017, 11:52PM

My box updated over the weekend. Actually during the Liverpool match, which meant I missed most of the first half. Anyway I won't comment any more about what faults have already been highlighted by others.
    Just to say, when you update the MyView section please, please please, get someone who knows what they are doing to handle that part. I've done a lot of the hard work already & can recommend this guy, he looks like he knows what he's talking about!

My tiler told me its always an imperfect job. Some work, some don't.
    This one didn't. 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 6 April 2017, 12:04AM

I'm certain the box has a mind of it's own and it said to itself it was whispering into it's hard drive/ear turn of or update because no one likes Liverpool fc.
    edited 6 April 2017, 8:40AM

Another person apparently reporting their box updating spontaneously, and without asking.

lloydoflondon, can you confirm that:-

This did not happen at switch on;
    You were not asked if you wanted the update;
    Or if you were that you did not say 'Yes';
    And got ignored anyway.

As this behaviour is contrary to how Stephen has told us that the update process works.
  • impydaveimpydave Member Posts: 32
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    You know when you first turn the box on and it shows the menu with Guide, MyTV etc, and underneath there are tiles picking what's currently on from certain channels....Is there anyway to change those channels it decides to pick for you? All mine ever show are ITV2, ITV3, Pick, and BBC1....granted I watch BBC1, but i actually have the ITV channels hidden as I never watch them. if they can't be changed does anyone know if they can be switched off?
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 April 2017, 9:56AM
    impydave said:

You know when you first turn the box on and it shows the menu with Guide, MyTV etc, and underneath there are tiles picking what's currently on from certain channels....Is there anyway to change those channels it decides to pick for you? All mine ever show are ITV2, ITV3, Pick, and BBC1....granted I watch BBC1, but i actually have the ITV channels hidden as I never watch them. if they can't be changed does anyone know if they can be switched off?

@impydave - Unfortunately at the minute they should just run as per your Guide. Each Shareholder is given one tile so they normally run BBC1, ITV, CH4, CH5 (then an ISP if you have TalkTalk/BT). After that they then run in order of the channels as they show in your EPG, if you hide any channels (and these have been carried over as hidden into the next gen) they obviously don't appear.
  • impydaveimpydave Member Posts: 32
    edited 6 April 2017, 9:56AM
    impydave said:

Ahhh that explains it then, so it's running from channel 1, 2, 3 etc....that's why then as I had previously hidden certain channels and although I thought I'd hidden the ITV SD channels I haven't! so once this update gets the hide/unhide feature back I'll unhide the SD channels to have that showing BBC1, BBC2, etc 

Many thanks for clearing that up!
    edited 6 April 2017, 10:04AM
    impydave said:

It would be a lot better if you could at least customize some of the channels that appears here. I have never watched ITV 3 for example so its a waste of time it been there as I won't press it.
  • Bruce2Bruce2 Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 April 2017, 11:27AM
    Not sure about new recordings layout .but if is this the way forward (1) the selected tile needs to be highlighted better .different frame colour (2) changing pages coloured buttons used for page up page back (3) full program title on tile (4) when selecting tile with several episodes oldest episode should be highlighted (5) when you have finished watching a recording the back button should take you back to the highlighted slate of the episode you have just watched ready fot deleting At present it takes you to the tile for all the episodes and makes it to easy to delete all the episodes . Even though it does tell you howmany you are deleting . I did did it automaticaly with out reading and deleted all episodes .as back has always been back 1 step not 2 .
  • Matthew JohnsMatthew Johns Member Posts: 98
    edited 6 April 2017, 7:44PM
    On the upside I am now handed the remote control as soon as I sit down in front of the TV. On the downside I have to find the programmes for SWMBO whenever she wants to watch something, the digital equivalent of walking along with a red flag in front of her car.
  • lloydoflondonlloydoflondon Member Posts: 296
    edited 6 April 2017, 1:43PM

Roy,

Yes I can confirm the above. Sequence of events when roughly like this:

1) turn box on, tea in hand

2) 10 mins in to the match, roughly about 20 mins after the above I get the dreaded IPC6023 message saying something's amiss.

3) Say stuff that I can't type & put down tea

4) Turn box off & on again

5) Same message, go to Settings, Device Mang't, Software Update

6) 30 mins later Software updated, box reboots & I can carry on watching the last 5 mins of the first half of the footy.

At no point in the above was I asked, agreed to or even deferred a software update. The dreaded IPC6023 message would not allow me to connect to any IPTV channel until I had carried out the software update. I only get the IPC6023 message when there has been a change in the software. So I know the drill now when I get that message.

edited 6 April 2017, 2:04PM

Cheers, lloydoflondon.

Something for YouView to investigate and fix then, if this annoyance has made it into the current release as well as the one you had it on.
    edited 6 April 2017, 3:22PM

lloyd, may I ask why you felt the need to cure an IPC6023 error via a software update?
    edited 6 April 2017, 7:28PM

"The dreaded IPC6023 message would not allow me to connect to any IPTV channel until I had carried out the software update."
    edited 6 April 2017, 7:41PM

No. I know of many other means. Which are all subscription only. Hence my question... 
    edited 6 April 2017, 7:44PM

On the upside I am now handed the remote control as soon as I sit down in front of the TV. On the downside I have to find the programmes for SWMBO whenever she wants to watch something, the digital equivalent of walking along with a red flag in front of her car.

Or the garage.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 April 2017, 1:40PM
    The feedback on next gen continues to broaden out across more and more threads on this forum and the level of interaction on the forum remains very high. I've noted on various threads at various times 'feedback' (much of it negative here) appears to be up by about 400%. Sometimes a picture is a great way to clearly convey information so I thought I would share this 'tile' here: