BT YouView box appears to be bricked by latest update

Karl RapleyKarl Rapley Member Posts: 5
edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM in Support
My box (bought directly via Argos), updated over the weekend (unbeknown to me).

Now, it is stuck in a bootloop going from the BT splash screen, onto the (new) YouView loading screen. After 5 minutes, it goes back to the BT splash screen and keeps repeating that cycle.

I've gone into maintenance mode and all of the options fail. I fear I now own a brick but would welcome any suggestions?

Surely YouView must take some responsibility for this?

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 April 2017, 7:32PM
    Not unless a YouView update bricks a large number of boxes, in what seems to be a pattern.

Is yours a T1000 series box? When did you buy it?

Humax should take the rap for this, really, as it is their hardware that has possibly failed, but your legal redress is against Argos.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • Karl RapleyKarl Rapley Member Posts: 5
    edited 4 April 2017, 7:41PM
    It's a T2110 BT branded box bought approx 3.5 years ago (so out of warranty). It's never unplugged and wasn't interrupted during the upgrade.

A bit miffed really as it was working fine late last week pre-update.
    edited 4 April 2017, 7:48PM
    Tell a white lie, it was 2 and a bit years ago (16/01/2015) from Currys. Just found the email.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 April 2017, 8:15PM
    May I ask how you know it was an update that bricked it? Specifically, NextGen?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • AndyAndy Member Posts: 19
    edited 4 April 2017, 8:38PM
    One of my old boxes had a similar symptom. In addition to the boot loop, there was beeping.

It was the HDD, and the data head that traverses the discs was stuck. It is possible to release it with gentle persuasion, but also might further damage it if really stuck, as was the case with my ham fisted attempt.
    edited 4 April 2017, 8:52PM
    Because it was working pre-update. The update happened over the weekend and when I went to turn it on with the remote, I got a "preparing" message with the new YouView logo. It hung on this for hours before finally starting the bootloop.
    edited 4 April 2017, 9:01PM
    Sorry, Karl, thats a new one on me.
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 April 2017, 4:57PM
    Hi Karl, Sorry to hear about your T2110. That sounds quite frustrating. It sounds like there could be an issue with the hard drive, so it's unfortunate that you're out of warranty. The next best step would be to contact Humax Support to see if there is anything they can do to repair the box. 

Alternatively, you can send us your contact information to [email protected] and we can arrange for Humax support to give you a call when it suits you.
    edited 8 April 2017, 1:46PM
    Not the hard drive unfortunately, tested in a USB caddy fine. Oh well, looks like it's time to shop around! Any recommendations anybody?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 April 2017, 1:46PM

Not the hard drive unfortunately, tested in a USB caddy fine. Oh well, looks like it's time to shop around! Any recommendations anybody?

Opinions differ as to whether the Humax FVP-4000T is a fine machine that both on paper and in reality does pretty much everything YouView used to promise, or a fouled-up disaster that would send you fleeing for the sanctity of even a NextGen YouView box.

We are hoping that at least somebody dismayed by NextGen will find sufficient incentive to switch to one, and then come back and give us the inside skinny on it :-)
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
    edited 7 April 2017, 9:51PM
    Ah yes, a Humax FVP-4000T. The closest thing to a YouView that isn't a YouView.
    I've heard it works fine on paper.
  • CegCeg Member Posts: 184
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    Are you sure you're not talking about next gen ;)?
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 April 2017, 4:19AM
    Ceg said:

Are you sure you're not talking about next gen ;)?

Nope. I have seen the humax in operation. Youview next gen is better. Fvp is really bad. I haven't seen one in 3 months so I suppose they could have updated it but from what I seen then there was lots that needed doing so I'm doubting it but you never know.