HATE, HATE, HATE this 27.46.0 update

ValwValw Member Posts: 4
edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM in Support
I absolutely hate this system update.  It has lost functionality and ease of use as far as I'm concerned.  I preferred to list my recordings in alphabetical order which I can't do now and I struggle to find recordings because of the huge icons - it takes ages to scroll through them all and you can't read the titles easily.  I hate that when a recording is finished it jumps back out into the main list rather than to the list of recordings for the programme series so when you've finished watching an episode and press stop you then have to manually select to go back into the list and then scroll to the first episode to delete it.  It's not user friendly or convenient to use at all.  I can't understand why You View is so proud of this update!

Why has this update been forced on me without consultation or option and why can't I choose to revert to my preferred version?  I hate it so much that I'm planning to get rid of my You View machine altogether and to leave my review of this new version on every review site I can find because I think this is such a poor product now. 

Comments

• Pete FearnsidePete Fearnside Member Posts: 7
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:30PM
    Hi Valw - I couldn't agree more - on all points. What are these people thinking of?
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 April 2017, 10:50PM
    Hi Valw,

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback. We've been listening to everything our customers have been saying, good and bad and feeding it back to our teams internally. 

I just wanted to reassure you that we are committed to continually improving YouView. Our Support and Communications Manager, Phil has already responded to the feedback on MyTV and I want to re-iterate that MyTV is a top priority for us and we're working to bring improvements to this area. As soon as there is an update we'll post on the forum.

In the meantime, there are a few of things that may help you to navigate around MyTV:

Order
    Currently your recorded programmes by the latest recorded. They read from left to right. With the most recent recording on the left hand side.

Navigating
    You can quickly skip through pages of recording using the programme up and down buttons.
  • AndyWAndyW Member Posts: 30
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:31PM
    Sanj said:

Hi Valw,

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback. We've been listening to everything our customers have been saying, good and bad and feeding it back to our teams internally. 

I just wanted to reassure you that we are committed to continually improving YouView. Our Support and Communications Manager, Phil has already responded to the feedback on MyTV and I want to re-iterate that MyTV is a top priority for us and we're working to bring improvements to this area. As soon as there is an update we'll post on the forum.

In the meantime, there are a few of things that may help you to navigate around MyTV:

Order
    Currently your recorded programmes by the latest recorded. They read from left to right. With the most recent recording on the left hand side.

Navigating
    You can quickly skip through pages of recording using the programme up and down buttons.

Navigating through the blank tiles in scheduled is much more difficult.
    Why it was thought that the blank tiles were acceptable needs to find another occupation.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 April 2017, 7:37PM
    Sanj said:

Hi Valw,

Order

Navigating

All the tiles are blank?

And yet your YouView box is connected to the internet?

This is not correct, even for NextGen.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • ValwValw Member Posts: 4
    edited 17 July 2017, 11:31AM
    Thank you all for your comments.  Sanj,I appreciate you are trying to be helpful and must be weary with this yourself too but I am perfectly capable of working out how to access my recordings, I just don't like how it now works - no, actually, I HATE it.  It is not as functional and user friendly as before the update.  You can't change how the recordings are ordered - I prefer a list in alphabetical order so I can find what I'm looking for easily, but that is no longer possible; I'm stuck with a date ordered bunch of tiles I can't read. To find a particular programme I have to trawl through all the tiles and click on the info button for each one to find out what it is, which can take forever - I have 1 TB of space with lots of recordings!  When finished watching a recording and I press stop, instead of returning to the series I'm watching's list with the watched episode highlighted and ready to delete, I am taken back out to the main list and have to manually go back into the relevant series and, since it automatically takes me to the latest recording and not the earliest which is usually the one I have just watched (maybe I'm daft but I like to watch them in chronological order!) I then have to navigate back to the one I already watched to delete it.  Explain to me please how this is a "continual improvement"???  I am all for progress and improvement; I'm not one of these "It's always been done this way" kind of people and I usually like change when it is for the better, but this is NOT an improvement, it's a disaster.  I don't like it, I didn't ask for it but was given no choice and had I had this system demonstrated to me when I was shelling out £250 on the box in the first place, I most certainly would not have gone ahead with the purchase.  I want to revert back to the way it was which actually (word of the day) worked perfectly well for me.  But you do not afford me, the paying customer, this courtesy.  Why are there only tiles and not a list, and why is the top left one much bigger than the rest?  It makes no sense, and it still doesn't display the full title.  It is less than useless, it is diabolical.  Still very angry. If you can't restore the earlier version, can I get a refund please?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 April 2017, 8:53PM
    Valw said:

Thank you all for your comments.  Sanj,I appreciate you are trying to be helpful and must be weary with this yourself too but I am perfectly capable of working out how to access my recordings, I just don't like how it now works - no, actually, I HATE it.  It is not as functional and user friendly as before the update.  You can't change how the recordings are ordered - I prefer a list in alphabetical order so I can find what I'm looking for easily, but that is no longer possible; I'm stuck with a date ordered bunch of tiles I can't read. To find a particular programme I have to trawl through all the tiles and click on the info button for each one to find out what it is, which can take forever - I have 1 TB of space with lots of recordings!  When finished watching a recording and I press stop, instead of returning to the series I'm watching's list with the watched episode highlighted and ready to delete, I am taken back out to the main list and have to manually go back into the relevant series and, since it automatically takes me to the latest recording and not the earliest which is usually the one I have just watched (maybe I'm daft but I like to watch them in chronological order!) I then have to navigate back to the one I already watched to delete it.  Explain to me please how this is a "continual improvement"???  I am all for progress and improvement; I'm not one of these "It's always been done this way" kind of people and I usually like change when it is for the better, but this is NOT an improvement, it's a disaster.  I don't like it, I didn't ask for it but was given no choice and had I had this system demonstrated to me when I was shelling out £250 on the box in the first place, I most certainly would not have gone ahead with the purchase.  I want to revert back to the way it was which actually (word of the day) worked perfectly well for me.  But you do not afford me, the paying customer, this courtesy.  Why are there only tiles and not a list, and why is the top left one much bigger than the rest?  It makes no sense, and it still doesn't display the full title.  It is less than useless, it is diabolical.  Still very angry. If you can't restore the earlier version, can I get a refund please?

You would need to contact your point of sale for redress.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 4 April 2017, 9:05PM
    Valw said:

I already spoke to John Lewis and they referred me back to the manufacturer  :(
  • MattManMattMan Member Posts: 277
    edited 4 April 2017, 9:45PM
    Valw said:

By chance did you use a credit card if so then you could try for a refund under section 75 credit card act.
    edited 4 April 2017, 9:45PM
    Valw said:

"I already spoke to John Lewis"
    So did another - 
    https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/loss-of-essential-functionality-and-the-consumer-rights...
    edited 4 April 2017, 9:48PM
    Valw said:

Thanks again, folks.  I will try JL once more and contact my credit card company to see if they would consider that the box is no longer of the description it was at the point of sale to qualify for a refund. Won't hold my breath though, because others have made valid points that it still essentially provides a similar, if deeply flawed, service.
  • DunkirkPieDunkirkPie Member Posts: 26
    edited 5 April 2017, 11:23AM
    Valw said:

Valw, I'm the chap whose post Visionman has linked to above.  Don't let John Lewis refer you back to the manufacturer.  This is what they tried to do with me initially - it's the oldest trick in the book and is complete nonsense from a consumer rights standpoint.  The contract of sale is between the consumer and the retailer.

I am still in discussions with JL and they are currently in prevarication mode, i.e. getting me to do pointless things like recheck for software updates and asking me to ring YouView to ask when the missing features would be reintroduced (which they predictably couldn't tell me).

I'm determined to keep on at this until a satisfactory resolution is achieved - either a definitive timescale from YouView for the reintroduction of the missing functionality or a full refund.

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 April 2017, 11:39AM
    Valw said:

You aren't entitled to a full refund - just pro rata the remainder of the six year life of the box that was your reasonable expectation.

And be sure to focus on the Lists versus Tiles issues - there's a real danger that YouView are going to fix everything else, to a degree, at least.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
    edited 5 April 2017, 11:48AM
    Valw said:

Well I've owned it for six months so a pro-rata refund would be >90% of the full purchase price.

I am focussing on the removal of the hide channels feature, as this is my main bugbear and a piece of functionality which is described in the product literature and his since been completely removed.

I am willing to accept the there is an aspiration on YouView's part to restore this but frankly I do not believe that it will be happening any time soon and I'm not willing to wait indefinitely.

edited 5 April 2017, 11:48AM
    Valw said:

Well I've owned it for six months so a pro-rata refund would be >90% of the full purchase price.

I am focussing on the removal of the hide channels feature, as this is my main bugbear and a piece of functionality which is described in the product literature and his since been completely removed.

I am willing to accept the there is an aspiration on YouView's part to restore this but frankly I do not believe that it will be happening any time soon and I'm not willing to wait indefinitely.

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 April 2017, 1:43PM
    Valw said:

You might be out of luck then when John Lewis find this help article: https://support.youview.com/youview-b...
    edited 5 April 2017, 1:43PM
    Valw said:

You might be out of luck then when John Lewis find this help article: https://support.youview.com/youview-b...
    edited 5 April 2017, 1:46PM
    Valw said:

Yes I've seen that article.  All it does is clarify what we already know, i.e. in the OldGen we could hide channels and in the NewGen we can't.  I don't understand why you think I might be out of luck when John Lewis find it.
    edited 5 April 2017, 2:59PM
    Valw said:

Because it says it is being restored? Not to mention whether or not the availability of that particular function could be regarded as leaving the device not fit for purpose.
    edited 5 April 2017, 3:10PM
    Valw said:

John Lewis and I are already aware of YouView's claim that this function will be restored at some unspecified point in the future. Without any sort of timescale this is meaningless, and frankly I'll believe it when I see it.  And as I pointed out on the other thread, if it's possible to integrate this feature into the new software then why was it rolled out without it in the first place?

I'm not claiming that the device is not fit for purpose, I'm claiming that it is not as described, i.e. the product literature which I researched prior to purchase, and which came with my device, refers to functionality which no longer exists.

• KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:34PM
    Valw said:

One would like to have confidence that the YouView statement 'we are looking to make this [hiding channels feature] available to all our customers as soon as possible' means:
    • we guarantee we are already working on this feature for next gen
    • we guarantee we will complete that work and deliver the feature
    and ideally
    • give some better idea of time scale, e.g. as soon as possible but by December at the latest
    Whilst I think that is basically what YouView are trying to convey, the wording could easily be interpreted differently, particular if ones confidence in YouView has been shaken following a significant and unexpected update that has been (very) negatively received by some users.

If the above were confirmed to be the case then one would argue the device is not as it was in this respect (i.e. the channel hiding feature) but it is clearly confirmed it will be again in the (not too distant) future.

YouView would ideally give equally clear wording for discover and action panels which are also stated as returning too. In the case of action panels Stephen has said elsewhere on the forum that is planned for roll out with the first feature release.

Tiles and lists is then something where I would interpret YouView's statement as 'we are listening, digesting and discussing this internally' but we are promising nothing yet (except improved journeys in and out of series tiles recordings).
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:35PM
    Valw said:

I agree with you on what YouView should do but I don't expect them to do it.

Call me a cynic but it sounds to me like they're just trying to fob us off.

• KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 April 2017, 4:43PM
    Valw said:

Anyone from YouView able to comment at this point ;-)
    edited 5 April 2017, 6:04PM
    Valw said:

"I agree with you on what YouView should do but I don't expect them to do it."
    Thats an awful thing to say.
    You're basically calling them liars.  
    edited 5 April 2017, 6:04PM
    Valw said:

"I agree with you on what YouView should do but I don't expect them to do it."
    Thats an awful thing to say.
    You're basically calling them liars.  
    edited 6 May 2017, 6:45PM
    No I'm not. Keith said that he thought YouView should give us a date when this functionality would be restored, and I said I agreed but that I didn't think that would happen.

Anyway I'm not going to get drawn into a pointless discussion on semantics. I've made my position on this abundantly clear and having read the legislation today I think I have a strong case. People can agree or disagree, I don't really care.
    edited 5 April 2017, 6:21PM
    Youview have stated over and over that the 'hide channels' feature will be coming back, and I've seen you reply that you don't believe them.
    edited 16 April 2017, 8:09AM
    I've said I don't believe it will happen anytime soon. Anyone who has worked for a big company will know that there is a world of difference between them saying they want to do something, and it actually happening. That's not the same as calling them liars.

I have a friend who says he wants to run a three-hour marathon. I don't doubt his sincerity, I just doubt his resolve (and capability) actually to do it.
    edited 5 April 2017, 6:30PM
    Thanks for clarifying that DP. 
  • Simon DaviesSimon Davies Member Posts: 2
    edited 6 May 2017, 6:45PM
    I have 2 BT DTR-2100 boxes. For reasons I don't understand, one has had the horrible new software installed via OTA update and the other hasn't.

Does anyone know .... Is there any way I can stop the second box getting the update when it's turn comes around?

Echoing other comments, I hate the new layout. The old one was not only virtually perfect imo, but it also won a great reputation in the press and industry for being so. Why change, why?!?
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 555 ✭✭
    edited 12 April 2017, 9:40PM

I have 2 BT DTR-2100 boxes. For reasons I don't understand, one has had the horrible new software installed via OTA update and the other hasn't.

Does anyone know .... Is there any way I can stop the second box getting the update when it's turn comes around?

Echoing other comments, I hate the new layout. The old one was not only virtually perfect imo, but it also won a great reputation in the press and industry for being so. Why change, why?!?

Try this thread:- https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/how-to-prevent-your-box-updating-to-next-generation

If your router will do URL filtering then that's the most effective method.