[Discussion] Humax software update 27.45.0

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 April 2017, 5:51PM

It's hardly defunct if people are still actively using it. Are we all going to be forced into a nextgen thread as well?

On threads relating to past releases, no-one can hear you scream :-)
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • Matthew JohnsMatthew Johns Member Posts: 98
    edited 7 April 2017, 11:11AM

It's hardly defunct if people are still actively using it. Are we all going to be forced into a nextgen thread as well?

At the time of writing this is still the most recent Announcement of a version on the community. All later software was announced in Discussion topics. I suspect that's why it keeps being bumped. 
    edited 7 April 2017, 6:39PM

Good lord, you are right.

YouView must be sneaking the new releases out under cover of darkness :-)
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 April 2017, 6:05PM

Wow, you mean there are further updates out there somewhere?
    Getaway!!
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Edward G PercyEdward G Percy Member Posts: 19
    edited 7 April 2017, 6:18PM

I got 27.47.0 yesterday
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 April 2017, 6:29PM

And there was an underground rumour of a Plusnet release I think ;-)
    edited 7 April 2017, 8:31PM

It hit yesterday. Same complaints.
    edited 8 April 2017, 12:23PM

Anybody would think there might be some substance to them :-(
    edited 7 April 2017, 9:15PM

Indeed. :(
  • Paul TurnerPaul Turner Member Posts: 16
    edited 12 April 2017, 11:13AM

I thought BT machines were going to be next.
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/humax-software-update-27-45-0

Chris (Lincoln, UK)

27.46.0 What an absoulte load of rubbish. If your not careful you could very easily delete an entire series of a recorded programme and searching through the recordings to find one to watch is almost impossible. Please sort this out so that it is back to the previous version for the recordings listing, at least that way we get a full programme title and more importantly search either by date or programme title.
    edited 8 April 2017, 8:29PM

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/humax-software-update-27-45-0

Chris (Lincoln, UK)

"27.46.0 What an absoulte load of rubbish."

Pretty much as your posting on a 27.45 thread.
    edited 8 April 2017, 9:51PM

Chris (Lincoln, UK)

He's posting the exact same extended moan on every thread he can find. There is no merit in this.
  • Howard1Howard1 Member Posts: 6
    edited 17 May 2017, 10:06PM

I just had my retail STB updated to 27.45.0. First impression is good (do not understand why BT is so in your face on a retail STB) at the exception of three things:

• Is it possible to toggle the recording view from the picture list to a simple list? Yes it is nice but it is more difficult to find the recording you want to watch. At least it would be good to have a choice
    • When the main picture (biggest one on the screen) schedule recording is deleted, the replacement by the by the next one is not smooth as I had an overlay of the new picture on top of the old one. This is for me a bug and should be fixed
    • Also and maybe it is a setting, when you delete a schedule recording you should have a confirmation box coming and not deleting straight away
    So nice update but room for improvement and as far as I have seen no direct remote button to go straight to recording list (yet).
    mytv is a nightmare now - it makes management of series where you have a lot of episodes impossible.  Plain text list old style  - name, watched or not, date - worked fine - please bring it back.
    edited 12 April 2017, 8:39AM

I just had my retail STB updated to 27.45.0. First impression is good (do not understand why BT is so in your face on a retail STB) at the exception of three things:

• Is it possible to toggle the recording view from the picture list to a simple list? Yes it is nice but it is more difficult to find the recording you want to watch. At least it would be good to have a choice
    • When the main picture (biggest one on the screen) schedule recording is deleted, the replacement by the by the next one is not smooth as I had an overlay of the new picture on top of the old one. This is for me a bug and should be fixed
    • Also and maybe it is a setting, when you delete a schedule recording you should have a confirmation box coming and not deleting straight away
    So nice update but room for improvement and as far as I have seen no direct remote button to go straight to recording list (yet).
    Hi Howard

I'm very interested in your thought processes in where to post in the YouView forum.

You could have started a new thread of your own.

Or you could have chosen to post in a thread related to the release you are on, instead of this rather outdated one.

Even here, you could have chosen to add a Reply at the end of the topic.

But instead, you have chosen to post here, in the Comments on a rather old posting in this thread, pages from the end of the thread, and not obviously following on from the Comments above it, or even the Reply it is based on.

So your posting will soon, alas, be lost in the noise, instead of getting the prominence it deserves.

We know the GetSatisfaction software that powers this Community is quirky, is unlike much other forum software, and can be difficult to navigate and use, and I think this must be what happened to you.

So if you can share the thought processses that led you to post here, rather than anywhere else, this may be valuable feedback that will help others avoid the same pitfalls!
  • Steve HollandSteve Holland Member Posts: 30
    edited 24 April 2017, 5:06AM

Roy,

I'd be interested in your though process as to why you think this is such an issue. People (like me) find this thread through a Google search. A Google Search that was borne out of the deep frustration and annoyance of the 'new gen' update. Personally I couldn't give a monkeys about what the thread was called.....I felt the need to post, and I did. By doing that I would assume that any Youview person who is diligently monitoring the posts (I hope) would see the latest comment being posted, regardless of what thread they are in. Moreover, as in many thread based chat sites, certain threads simply become the default place to comment and often change their initial focus. They are promoted up the ranks, regardless of their date, and because of their activity. 

So, your comment that it gets lost in the noise unless it gets posted to a thread called '27.45.7' (or whatever) is not correct in my mind. There is far more weight in having all the issues of one topic in one thread - regardless of title. I for one have been most amused/frustrated following the updates via email, seeing my posts 'liked' and contributing to the topic, and this wouldn't have happened if people were posting all over the place

However, far the most important point is getting some form of feedback from Youview that they are addressing the issues noted, or just as importantly that they are not - in which case I will be looking for another provider (sadly)

Steve
  • CegCeg Member Posts: 184
    edited 12 April 2017, 10:14AM

Having used lots of different Internet fora over the years, this is by far the most confusing and unintuitive.
  • Steve HollandSteve Holland Member Posts: 30
    edited 24 April 2017, 5:06AM

Maybe it's where they got the inspiration for the New Gen design from then........
  • Nichola RussNichola Russ Member Posts: 5
    edited 24 April 2017, 4:54AM
    Rob3 said:

Interesting that Next Gen has  been released to retail before BT. I like it, have been a trialist for a couple of months and apart from some minor niggles already identified by Keith I think it is an improvement overall. Hopefully we will see further enhancements  in the coming months and some of the long awaited features can now be added.

This upgrade is utterly shocking and I absolutely hate everything about it, despite trying very hard to adjust to the changes. I would like to this update removed from my box as I didnt want it, wasnt consulted about it and certainly didnt buy this particular Humax box to get this 2nd rate rubbish!  I wish I followed my fathers advice to buy a Humax freeview box not a Youview one, but if these changes are not put right this box will be binned and I shall revert to good old freeview!!!
  • Sarah Lovelace1Sarah Lovelace1 Member Posts: 28
    edited 24 April 2017, 4:55AM
    Rob3 said:

Interesting that Next Gen has  been released to retail before BT. I like it, have been a trialist for a couple of months and apart from some minor niggles already identified by Keith I think it is an improvement overall. Hopefully we will see further enhancements  in the coming months and some of the long awaited features can now be added.

I agree wholeheartedly with this...I did not agree to have this rubbish update & would like it removed
  • Sarah Lovelace1Sarah Lovelace1 Member Posts: 28
    edited 13 April 2017, 10:19AM
    jimb said:

Sanj could you please tell us if there is any significant functional difference between this release and the TalkTalk release?

Can someone from YouView please assure us that they are taking out complaints on board?..I have already advised a few of my friends not to bother with these boxes unless they remove the latest update..or at least put the Mytv back into a list form...the current method is a disaster
    edited 12 April 2017, 4:42PM

Hi Steve

All good points, I agree.

However, diligently following all the postings here used to be difficult enough before the volumes exploded, and the only way to do it is to have everything emailed, and follow the email trail. Which gets everything covered, but breaks the threading, of course.

I don't know if the Admins have any better tools than me - from GetSat's own forum, they are always asking how to keep track of stuff - but there are certainly no easy Read/Unread tools that can be deployed.

So before the deluge, I would try to keep track online, but I would scan through the emails every three days or so, and always find something I had missed.

At present, though, that is quite impossible.

And while GetSat always shows you the latest post in any given thread, and anybody tracing this one back will hopefully scan the recent ones above it and see Howard's post, it only takes somebody to add a Comment elsewhere in this thread to completely obliterate the traceability of our little subtrail, except by the email trail.

As GetSat does not run in date order by posting, but in date order of Replies, with date order of Comments nested under that.

Comments are great as a way of responding to a Reply without having to quote the Reply, but they don't actually work very well from a traceability point of view.

So Howard's posting will be carried away on the flood. His choice - and yours if you don't know how this forum works to your possible disadvantage, or you do but you choose to ignore it :-)
  • Stuart GroomStuart Groom Member Posts: 8
    edited 13 April 2017, 7:13AM

Chris (Lincoln, UK)

There is on such a poor forum. The new posts never seem to be at the top and it takes an age to find stuff.

A bit like the new software :(
  • Edward G PercyEdward G Percy Member Posts: 19
    edited 12 April 2017, 5:29PM
    stormy said:

Yes. I thought this was going on BT boxes first also? It was interesting that its only for retail T2000 boxes at the moment. Issues with older boxes after all?

"Yes. I thought this was going on BT boxes first also? It was interesting that its only for retail T2000 boxes at the moment. Issues with older boxes after all?"

We got the 27.47 download last week on our Humax DTRT1000 and 2000 boxes. We are not beta testers and Sanjay was surprised that we got it

edited 12 April 2017, 5:37PM

Chris (Lincoln, UK)

Create Replies then at least; these go to the end of the thread you are posting on.

Or even start your own thread (Conversation) if there is no thread already relating to the issue you are raising,

Comments are supposed to be relevant to the Reply they dangle from; if you are not replying to the Reply, then do not use a Comment.

You will find things work much better if you follow these precepts :-)
    edited 12 April 2017, 5:40PM
    jimb said:

Sanj could you please tell us if there is any significant functional difference between this release and the TalkTalk release?

YouView will be dealing with a number of the issues that have been raised when the rollout is complete.

Nothing about bringing Lists back has been mentioned, let alone promised,
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 April 2017, 5:58PM
    jimb said:

Mary had a little list,
    It went away one day.
    Everyone that Mary knew,
    Wished the list would stay.
  • Stuart GroomStuart Groom Member Posts: 8
    edited 14 April 2017, 10:44AM

Chris (Lincoln, UK)

I always use the reply comment but the whole forum is a hash up with no posts appearing where they should. Trust me I'm a member of many forums and this one is by far the worst one to navigate.

Surely it's not that difficult to have it set up so that the newest posts appear at the top? If it's not possible then the forum needs to be replaced with a more user friendly one.
  • Martin WardMartin Ward Member Posts: 69
    edited 14 April 2017, 10:44AM

Chris (Lincoln, UK)

I thought that was the whole point of what youview are trying to do, make things as UNfriendly to the users as possible, they've managed to do it with this latest update
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 315
    edited 12 April 2017, 7:22PM

Chris (Lincoln, UK)

The additional of the shortcut bar was a bit of a failure then.  That is one excellent idea although obviously it requires some tweaking.
  • AndyGAndyG Member Posts: 10
    edited 13 April 2017, 2:37PM
    jimb said:

Peter Piper Picked a Program from Possible Pictures
    If Peter Piper Picked a Program from Possible Pictures
    What's the Probable Program that Peter Piper Picked