Forum feedback on MyTV in Next Gen software

Comments

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 April 2017, 1:20PM
    Keith1 said:

The feedback on next gen continues to broaden out across more and more threads on this forum and the level of interaction on the forum remains very high. I've noted on various threads at various times 'feedback' (much of it negative here) appears to be up by about 400%. Sometimes a picture is a great way to clearly convey information so I thought I would share this 'tile' here:

Not sure what to make of that Keith, that the Retail-ers are doing most of the moaning 'feedback?'
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 April 2017, 1:38PM
    Keith1 said:

The feedback on next gen continues to broaden out across more and more threads on this forum and the level of interaction on the forum remains very high. I've noted on various threads at various times 'feedback' (much of it negative here) appears to be up by about 400%. Sometimes a picture is a great way to clearly convey information so I thought I would share this 'tile' here:

Indeed a picture equally sometimes leaves more room for varied interpretation  (and it could be an exercise for the reader/forum member to say what they think this (limited) data shows) :)

I might say we can see activity on the forum was fairly steady and low until word of next gen started to crystalise in November. That probably kicked off chatter as people pointed to snippets of info they found and speculation on what next gen might be like. It then landed for some TalkTalk customers in late November (but apparently the roll out was quite slow). Nevertheless once it was public that allowed more discussion here and some people who received it did bring their feedback here, whereas one might expect many took it to the TalkTalk forum. Retail then landed in late February and came as a surprise to many (since there was no communication about it via the box and not being an ISP customer that communication channel was not available) of this fairly small sector of the YouView user base (perhaps only 10% of the user base). That seemed to push up the feedback which was probably also coming from some TalkTalk users as that roll out continued to push through. Then BT join the party (zapper first although I've not given the date for that) and feedback has continued its climb and hit the current heights.

Other interpretations of the data/plot may of course be made :)

I wonder, given the rollout must be nearly complete for TalkTalk, is complete for (Humax) retail, and must be well underway now for BT, whether the 'feedback' will have peaked, perhaps stay at this level for another month or so but then start to fall back.

Ideally we then see another wave of feedback in the summer, but this time it is stimulated by positive changes coming through and hence has a more positive atmosphere and offers hope and reassurance for those currently disappointed.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 April 2017, 1:40PM
    Keith1 said:

Well observed Keith, as is your point about "other interpretations" and I hope others are as astute as deciphering tongue-in-cheek as you are. ;)
  • speedyritespeedyrite Member Posts: 81
    edited 9 April 2017, 3:25PM
    Visionman said:

I'd just like to recommend that if you have a forward thinking attitude, are willing to try new things and are prepared to give up your own time to provide feature testing activities and feedback, becoming a trialist can be a a very rewarding activity.
    Be warned though, the majority of people on the trials forum like the tiles, with a tweak or two here or there, of course. :)

@MattMan Haven't even got that far yet! Emailed a few days ago. How long did it take for you to get a reply to your initial enquiry?
  • stokesd3stokesd3 Member Posts: 137
    edited 10 April 2017, 5:33PM
    Keith1 said:

If one were to look at YouView's past track record one might note:

• YouView originally released in summer 2012, and whilst the system was largely functionally complete, it had some very basic and unexpected short comings which would have all been known at any stability and usability trial stage. Most specifically the search only searched on-demand content and not the EPG listings; there was no skip functionality, just fast forward and rewind; no channel hiding feature (or better yet full channel list management including favourites/reordering); no (series) folders. They either knew these were short comings or took on board the feedback and delivered EPG search, skip functionality, channel hiding, and series folders within the first 6 months of launch.
    • Within the trials and beyond into the public forum numerous suggestions for improvement were made (and documented for everyones ease in the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests). Some of these appear to have aligned with what YouView planned anyway, some are a little more fanciful or niche whilst many are perfectly reasonable ideas. Those points have been laid out in a list of 115 items, of which about 20 have seen at least partial positive improvement. Overall though one might consider not many have been fully addressed and yet there are several that should be easy to do and would arguably improve the system.
    • YouView delivered (presumably against their own roadmap) various key improvements such as the remote recording app, internet channels, additional players (e.g. Netflix, Sky Store (since gone), UKTV, S4C, Milkshake, Pop), EPG channel filters, accessibility features (high contrast theme, keyboard support, zoom enhancements, audio feedback), discover, option to turn off miniTV in EPG, channel logos, connected red button, support for some MHEG-IC connect TV channels, smart standby mode.
    • YouView broke a few things along the way or other issues/bugs were found and fixed.
    • YouView branched out into smart TVs providing the YouView EPG (and integrated on-demand players) to new Sony TVs.
    • YouView progress with the old/current gen system appeared to some to deliver less than expected and to fade to almost nothing over time. In practice YouView were probably turning their attention to the complete rewrite for next gen.
    • Next gen was trialled in various ways and began roll out towards the end of November 2016. At that point it was easy to list the good, bad, niggly, and missed opportunity issues. Almost none of those points are particularly subtle and hence it is a fair assumption all were known within any trial and none were seen by YouView (and its stakeholders) as significant enough to delay the roll out to allow time to address any of the key short comings (e.g. MyTV journeys, channel hiding, discover, action panels, accessibility (or just choice) such as contrast, miniTV in EPG, list of tiles rather than a grid of tiles for recordings, recording setting clash resolution suggestions, jump to arbitrary start minute in a recording). A further matter that has vexed some is the more overt branding and the fact it is not controlled by the box provenance and TV subscriptions but by a (lazy/simple?) match to the underlying ISP connection. Another general matter that has vexed some is that the system automatically updates (unless disconnected from the network) and there is no way to enable an option to stop this and thus delay the update (understanding one then is running an unsupported and feature frozen system until such time as one chooses to jump on board).
    • YouView have stated they already have plans to bring back some of the missing functionality (channel hiding, action panels, discover), and that they have taken on board the feedback about MyTV and will work on improved journeys (and perhaps other aspects). YouView appear to have signalled such changes will come through after the roll out is complete, so probably not until at least late June. Based on past experience on speed of delivery of features one might wish to take a cautious view and hope some of this will come through in July/August and most of it by December. Action panels have been stated as being 'on track to be part of the first big update'.
    • YouView make it clear they listen to feedback, they appear to engage more with their customers, but they generally do not absolutely obviously change the course of their development that much in response to such feedback. Overall they have acknowledged there are some things to bring back and work on but the tone of such messages is more formal than their general forum engagement and is no doubt constrained by commercial and legal matters.
    • YouView say next gen provides the foundation and framework for easier and faster development and delivery. Nothing public so far would appear to support that so more time is needed to conclude if that is the case going forwards.
    Overall it is not a product that is designed by committee or for which the customer has any definite influence over its improvement. That said those of us that do engage (more directly) with YouView on various levels and in various ways are sure to keep pressing the various points and overall encourage them to want to be the best they can reasonably be and not just better than the rest or even just good enough for reasonable commercial success :)
    Madness waiting for full rollout before 'improving those journeys'. Addressing what users are already shouting about more quickly means ultimately less users affected by June.
  • Trevor6Trevor6 Member Posts: 63
    edited 10 April 2017, 5:33PM
    Keith1 said:

If one were to look at YouView's past track record one might note:

• YouView originally released in summer 2012, and whilst the system was largely functionally complete, it had some very basic and unexpected short comings which would have all been known at any stability and usability trial stage. Most specifically the search only searched on-demand content and not the EPG listings; there was no skip functionality, just fast forward and rewind; no channel hiding feature (or better yet full channel list management including favourites/reordering); no (series) folders. They either knew these were short comings or took on board the feedback and delivered EPG search, skip functionality, channel hiding, and series folders within the first 6 months of launch.
    • Within the trials and beyond into the public forum numerous suggestions for improvement were made (and documented for everyones ease in the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests). Some of these appear to have aligned with what YouView planned anyway, some are a little more fanciful or niche whilst many are perfectly reasonable ideas. Those points have been laid out in a list of 115 items, of which about 20 have seen at least partial positive improvement. Overall though one might consider not many have been fully addressed and yet there are several that should be easy to do and would arguably improve the system.
    • YouView delivered (presumably against their own roadmap) various key improvements such as the remote recording app, internet channels, additional players (e.g. Netflix, Sky Store (since gone), UKTV, S4C, Milkshake, Pop), EPG channel filters, accessibility features (high contrast theme, keyboard support, zoom enhancements, audio feedback), discover, option to turn off miniTV in EPG, channel logos, connected red button, support for some MHEG-IC connect TV channels, smart standby mode.
    • YouView broke a few things along the way or other issues/bugs were found and fixed.
    • YouView branched out into smart TVs providing the YouView EPG (and integrated on-demand players) to new Sony TVs.
    • YouView progress with the old/current gen system appeared to some to deliver less than expected and to fade to almost nothing over time. In practice YouView were probably turning their attention to the complete rewrite for next gen.
    • Next gen was trialled in various ways and began roll out towards the end of November 2016. At that point it was easy to list the good, bad, niggly, and missed opportunity issues. Almost none of those points are particularly subtle and hence it is a fair assumption all were known within any trial and none were seen by YouView (and its stakeholders) as significant enough to delay the roll out to allow time to address any of the key short comings (e.g. MyTV journeys, channel hiding, discover, action panels, accessibility (or just choice) such as contrast, miniTV in EPG, list of tiles rather than a grid of tiles for recordings, recording setting clash resolution suggestions, jump to arbitrary start minute in a recording). A further matter that has vexed some is the more overt branding and the fact it is not controlled by the box provenance and TV subscriptions but by a (lazy/simple?) match to the underlying ISP connection. Another general matter that has vexed some is that the system automatically updates (unless disconnected from the network) and there is no way to enable an option to stop this and thus delay the update (understanding one then is running an unsupported and feature frozen system until such time as one chooses to jump on board).
    • YouView have stated they already have plans to bring back some of the missing functionality (channel hiding, action panels, discover), and that they have taken on board the feedback about MyTV and will work on improved journeys (and perhaps other aspects). YouView appear to have signalled such changes will come through after the roll out is complete, so probably not until at least late June. Based on past experience on speed of delivery of features one might wish to take a cautious view and hope some of this will come through in July/August and most of it by December. Action panels have been stated as being 'on track to be part of the first big update'.
    • YouView make it clear they listen to feedback, they appear to engage more with their customers, but they generally do not absolutely obviously change the course of their development that much in response to such feedback. Overall they have acknowledged there are some things to bring back and work on but the tone of such messages is more formal than their general forum engagement and is no doubt constrained by commercial and legal matters.
    • YouView say next gen provides the foundation and framework for easier and faster development and delivery. Nothing public so far would appear to support that so more time is needed to conclude if that is the case going forwards.
    Overall it is not a product that is designed by committee or for which the customer has any definite influence over its improvement. That said those of us that do engage (more directly) with YouView on various levels and in various ways are sure to keep pressing the various points and overall encourage them to want to be the best they can reasonably be and not just better than the rest or even just good enough for reasonable commercial success :)
    Just what I said a month ago, it looks like Youview don't want to do it or the platform is not as suited to quick development as marketing message.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 April 2017, 10:44PM
    DavidB said:

When we were young children, we were  read  books that were predominatly pictures with brief notes, as we grew up we learnt to read and the pictures became less important, because the text and its presentation was more informative and the need for pictures became less important. Oh dear! 

al:- rebuses
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • DaveGrohlDaveGrohl Member Posts: 80
    edited 13 April 2017, 1:05PM
    There are several things that I loathe about the new software. Most of them have already been covered by vast numbers of posters on different forums such as the MyTv disaster zone. I'll not add to this save to say pleeeeease sort this ridiculous area out Youview.

Apart from this my main area of disgust is the horrendous banner at the bottom of the screen whenever you press any button. It takes 5 whole seconds to disappear. Every single time. Why is there no user adjustable option here? I can't imagine why anyone would want to set it at 5 seconds. 2 seconds is perfectly adequate, this should be the default option. And why does it now take up over 30% of the screen, blacking out everything behind it? It was at least transparent in the older software version. The live pause countdown has disappeared from this banner now also, we're left with a pictoral representation of "info", which is actually the very opposite of info when compared to what we had included in the original banner information.

I know that it's the modern disease to fiddle endlessly with things. Companies just can't leave the stuff that works well alone can they. I have no idea what they were trying to achieve with this update but they have made idiotic change for change's sake. Oh and it doesn't look more "modern" it just looks child like. I'm getting angrier by the day about this.
  • Timm TurnerTimm Turner Member Posts: 5
    edited 11 April 2017, 6:10PM

That, is very favourable, thank you for the update. You see, all people want, is comms! Cheers

MyTV is a top priority - That was some 4 weeks ago and still a load of ****
  • barry jonesbarry jones Member Posts: 39
    edited 12 April 2017, 2:19PM
    Visionman said:

Daniel>
    "I feel frustrated by the shear amount of people are not giving it the chance it deserves."
    Don't be. 
    Daniel, as an internet forum user, one has to accept that they will come across many people who hold and have a different opinion to theirs, and as such whilst one may disagree with that opinion, they have to be respectful to the user who said it.

Or as is often said - 'by all means disagree with the opinion, but never attack the user for saying it.'

Anyone know the reason why when you scroll down on the bottom channel on a page in the TV guide, WHY does the page move up one channel?

edited 12 April 2017, 2:19PM
    Visionman said:

Daniel>
    "I feel frustrated by the shear amount of people are not giving it the chance it deserves."
    Don't be. 
    Daniel, as an internet forum user, one has to accept that they will come across many people who hold and have a different opinion to theirs, and as such whilst one may disagree with that opinion, they have to be respectful to the user who said it.

Or as is often said - 'by all means disagree with the opinion, but never attack the user for saying it.'

Dunno, drives me mad. I like to scroll across the main 6 channels but you can't select the top or bottom one without it hopping about.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 April 2017, 1:29PM
    Visionman said:

Daniel>
    Don't be. 

Six main channels?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 12 April 2017, 2:05PM
    Visionman said:

Daniel>
    Don't be. 

Ok many would say 5 but i consider BBC Four one of them yes. Of course this applies to any block of six channels you may scan across before moving on to the next block. Getting used to typing 102 to view them now anyway haha
    edited 12 April 2017, 2:06PM
    Visionman said:

Daniel>
    Don't be. 

Ok many would say 5 but i consider BBC Four one of them yes. Of course this applies to any block of five OR six channels you may scan across before moving on to the next block. Getting used to typing 102 to view them now anyway haha
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 836 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 April 2017, 2:49PM
    DaveGrohl said:

There are several things that I loathe about the new software. Most of them have already been covered by vast numbers of posters on different forums such as the MyTv disaster zone. I'll not add to this save to say pleeeeease sort this ridiculous area out Youview.

Apart from this my main area of disgust is the horrendous banner at the bottom of the screen whenever you press any button. It takes 5 whole seconds to disappear. Every single time. Why is there no user adjustable option here? I can't imagine why anyone would want to set it at 5 seconds. 2 seconds is perfectly adequate, this should be the default option. And why does it now take up over 30% of the screen, blacking out everything behind it? It was at least transparent in the older software version. The live pause countdown has disappeared from this banner now also, we're left with a pictoral representation of "info", which is actually the very opposite of info when compared to what we had included in the original banner information.

I know that it's the modern disease to fiddle endlessly with things. Companies just can't leave the stuff that works well alone can they. I have no idea what they were trying to achieve with this update but they have made idiotic change for change's sake. Oh and it doesn't look more "modern" it just looks child like. I'm getting angrier by the day about this.

Dave,

The banner at the bottom of the screen, (or indeed any dialogue), can be dismissed instantly by pressing the CLOSE button.

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    edited 12 April 2017, 2:53PM
    DaveGrohl said:

Indeed. I think 2 secs would be too short for many people so the longer option will likely stay unless it can be customised.
  • Jeff ThurgoodJeff Thurgood Member Posts: 6
    edited 17 July 2017, 6:49PM
    I like to watch the foreign-language serials that are shown on BBC4 on Saturday evenings. I always record the whole series before I start watching so that I can "binge watch". That way I don't struggle to remember what happened in the previous eoisodes, everything is fresh in my mind.  A problem arises when I pause the playback, a banner appears obscuring the bottom third of the screen; it disappears after about ten seconds but reappears when playback is resumed and completely masks the subtitles (again for about ten seconds), which for me are essential. (I do not speak any Scandinavian languages!)  I have not found any way to dismiss the banner, so the only thing I can do is to rewind the recording by half a minute or so before resuming playback.  This, in my opinion, is an unacceptable state of affairs.
    edited 12 April 2017, 5:42PM

I like to watch the foreign-language serials that are shown on BBC4 on Saturday evenings. I always record the whole series before I start watching so that I can "binge watch". That way I don't struggle to remember what happened in the previous eoisodes, everything is fresh in my mind.  A problem arises when I pause the playback, a banner appears obscuring the bottom third of the screen; it disappears after about ten seconds but reappears when playback is resumed and completely masks the subtitles (again for about ten seconds), which for me are essential. (I do not speak any Scandinavian languages!)  I have not found any way to dismiss the banner, so the only thing I can do is to rewind the recording by half a minute or so before resuming playback.  This, in my opinion, is an unacceptable state of affairs.

See Anaglypta's advice above. You may find this comes as a welcome relief.
    edited 12 April 2017, 6:36PM

Sadly that doesn't work when playing back a recording. It simply stops the playback and returns to the recordings view.
  • WayneWayne Member Posts: 82
    edited 12 April 2017, 8:54PM

Try the Back key.
    edited 12 April 2017, 8:58PM

{ have, same result!
  • DaveGrohlDaveGrohl Member Posts: 80
    edited 12 April 2017, 10:47PM
    DaveGrohl said:

I'm aware of that John thanks. It appears every single time you press any button, so having to press close every time is ridiculous. Five seconds is waaaay too long. It was about two seconds in the old software version which was more than long enough.
    edited 12 April 2017, 11:51PM

Back button does clear the banner but it does take five secs for subtitles to reappear. Think that has always been the case...
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 369 ✭✭
    edited 12 April 2017, 9:52PM

My older BT T1000 that I now just use as a Freeview PVR and for the free catch up players updated this morning and for some reason remade its self as the default box for BT TV. I had to this evening change settings and reset up the BT channels to rework with the G4 box.  Very strange it did that.
    The update seems to have made the old T1000 load the likes of the BBC red button + service a little quicker.
    Apart from 2 or 3 things that I miss that was on the old software. I think the new look software on both the T1000 and the G4 box seems ok.
    Hopefully it will not be to long in to the summer that they make more improvements and bring back some things that were on the old software.
    The Youview app has not been updated in months so I wonder if that will get an update this year.
    I know the BT TV app is due an update later in the year to make it a little more like the Sky Go app.

Darren
  • Gareth6Gareth6 Member Posts: 2
    edited 12 April 2017, 10:35PM
    Visionman said:

Daniel>
    Don't be. 

Terrible. Clunky. Harder to access recordings. The tiles are difficult to understand and look bloody awful.

And to top it all I keep getting audio cutting out on recordings that even rebooting the software doesnt solve.

Sod this rubbish. Tomorrow im off to buy a new none youview recorder.
  • Gareth6Gareth6 Member Posts: 2
    edited 13 April 2017, 1:12PM
    Terrible. Clunky. Harder to access recordings. The tiles are difficult to understand and look bloody awful.

And to top it all I keep getting audio cutting out on recordings that even rebooting the software doesnt solve.

After 5 years or putting up with shoddy software updates and giving Youview more than enoughc chances to get it right.

Sod this rubbish. Tomorrow im off to buy a new none youview recorder.
  • Martin WardMartin Ward Member Posts: 69
    edited 13 April 2017, 1:13PM
    Gareth, the point here is why should you have to buy a new box when the box you had was working ok, until youveiw messed it up.
  • Sheree Clayton SacksonSheree Clayton Sackson Member Posts: 1
    edited 15 April 2017, 1:47PM

That, is very favourable, thank you for the update. You see, all people want, is comms! Cheers

Add me to the list of people who is unhappy with the update.  I have been using a similar format to the new update with my Amazon Prime and Now tv for a couple of years, I disliked the format then and I still dislike it. I had a feeling Youview would go down the same road but had always hoped they wouldn't. 

I am no longer enjoying my YouView box and will be looking for an alternative
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 April 2017, 7:06AM
    Choose to, not had to.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 13 April 2017, 7:06AM
    Visionman said:

Choose to, not had to.

Visionman, where is the 'had' you are referring to? I can't find it :-(