Effect on Youview sales of new software

Matthew JohnsMatthew Johns Member Posts: 98
edited 10 July 2017, 12:14AM in Discussion
What with all of the frustration here on the new software I thought that I'd check how what had happened to the price of second hand boxes since the update: https://uk.bidvoy.net/youview/96964/3m
At a casual glance it's only down 10% or so. Though when you consider that the starting price for second hand boxes isn't much different to a Roku then it's pretty much eliminated the premium for the recording facility. 

Comments

• Chris A.Chris A. Member Posts: 74
    edited 9 May 2017, 3:05PM
    ??? Man,  you have far too much time on your hands.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 April 2017, 11:45AM
    Chris A. said:

To me it looked like the trend line is going up in price???
  • Matthew JohnsMatthew Johns Member Posts: 98
    edited 11 April 2017, 12:51PM
    Chris A. said:

The trouble with linking to a live graph :-) It now is going up. 
    edited 19 April 2017, 3:34PM
    Chris A. said:

Obviously as people get to see the new interface the boxes are becoming more sought after ;-) or maybe people just want an older box with the old interface lol
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 315
    edited 11 April 2017, 2:51PM
    Chris A. said:

I've tried entering "Duck" instead of "Youview".  It then presumes that the duck's category is Poultry & Waterfowl.
    The used average price for a duck (Poultry & Waterfowl) is about the same as the used youview prive at £39.
    Clicking on 'new' give an average price for a new auction duck at £17.

Looks like you can buy new ducks at £17, use the duck, and then sell for a profit.

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 April 2017, 4:37PM
    Chris A. said:

Buy several, pass them onto YouView, and challenge YouView to align them :-)
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Member Posts: 246
    edited 25 April 2017, 9:17AM
    Car boot purchase this morning - Talk Talk box, 75p. The seller had been asking a fiver for it for the past six weeks but got fed up with people asking if it had been updated and walking away when he said yes. He just didn't want to take it home again.
    I actually only wanted the power supply, but he made me take the whole thing.......
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 April 2017, 1:21AM

Car boot purchase this morning - Talk Talk box, 75p. The seller had been asking a fiver for it for the past six weeks but got fed up with people asking if it had been updated and walking away when he said yes. He just didn't want to take it home again.
    I actually only wanted the power supply, but he made me take the whole thing.......

HaHa!
    Are you still here? Why Tinkerman? I thought you had a date with a raspberry pi and something called Kodi. Which apparently crashes a lot...

Despite your claims, theres no chance your going to dump your YouView box, as its still the best box out there, and a clearly market knowledgeable user like yourself knows that.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 20 April 2017, 8:10PM

Yep, I'm still here Gawperman. I'm here because I still have a youview box I spent a lot of money on, it's just a shame I can only use it as a passive pvr these days. I'm sure you'd like all Youview's dissatisfied customers to just go away, but it ain't gonna happen.........
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 April 2017, 2:24AM

"Gawperman"
    Love it!
    All three of mine are fully connected (though one won't get it) and its not bad actually, not bad at all...
    Missing features to be sure, but they will come back in time.
    BTW, what is a gawper? 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 16 April 2017, 5:35AM

Well now you can get them for 75p so you don't need to hang about if it doesn't fit the bill (quack quack) :-)
    The graph above sees the sale price pretty flat so no real change.
    Next gen is here to stay it will just need some improvements, people need to make suggestions and wait to see if they happen, anybody who fundamentally cannot use next gen even with improvements unfortunately may need to start looking at alternatives.
    edited 16 April 2017, 9:18AM

Like I said, I only bought it because I needed the power supply for an old drum composer I'd just bought. The bonus is the casing, which is a standard studio half-rack size with built-in pcb supports. So by next week it'll be sitting in a customers music studio housing a multimode filter, and I have a spare remote if anybody needs one.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 April 2017, 2:22PM

Dave

Is it clean, though? From the photo, it looks like a baby posseted on it, or worse :-(

Visionman

GIYF. Or in this case, possibly not :-)
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    edited 16 April 2017, 10:21PM

Just the sun coming through the window, I see what you mean though :~)
  • edited 24 April 2017, 7:32AM
    Sorted. Just bought a BT box 2100 for 2 pounds and still on 1st Gen. This will stay at 1st Gen untill there is a reliable software version available.