New interface is a car crash

Comments

• Nichola RussNichola Russ Member Posts: 5
    edited 14 June 2017, 1:55AM

I would be interested to know who the useless beta testers were that failed to notice the problem? I can't remember the last time I have seen such a huge outpouring of negativity about a software product. It's clearly DOA.

Until the update, I had nothing but praise for my humax youview box. However this confusing array of pictures instead of text in Mytv, is NOT what I paid for and I am considering getting rid of youview all together. What idiot came up with these changes! I am used to tiles on my smart TV and laptop but these are very difficult to read and in no particular order! I have no way of changing the muddled menu into alphabetical order to help me find my recordings either. Absolute rubbish!!!
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 April 2017, 6:20AM

I would be interested to know who the useless beta testers were that failed to notice the problem? I can't remember the last time I have seen such a huge outpouring of negativity about a software product. It's clearly DOA.

The tiles are in reverse chronological sequence, i.e. most recent recording first. Where a Series is concerned, the most recently recorded episode determines its position on the grid.

This is the same sequence as the chronological sequence used for Recordings in CurrentGen.

That was a straight top to bottom List, though, while the tiles are laid out in 'book reading' order, left to right, top to bottom.

If you were aware of the sequence in CurrentGen, and did not think the list was 'in no particular order', and yet the same sequence of tiles in NextGen looks as if it is such, then this is a worrying failure of the UI to convey the sequencing information.

A better presentation of the tiles is promised ('better' being defined by the people who did the existing presentation though), and the restoration of the alternative alphabetical sequence is to be hoped for.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • martin1martin1 Member Posts: 1
    edited 14 June 2017, 1:59AM
    We agree with the majority on this, the list of recordings was simple and clear and we find the tiles to be confusing and hard to navigate. Why not give us a choice?
  • A UserA User Member Posts: 4
    edited 20 April 2017, 8:27PM
    A User said:

Diabolical change to the interface. I want to revert to old menu system immediatly and have an assurance that YouView will give their customers the option to select a new interface or NOT in future.

Imagine taking your car in for a service and finding some idiot had changed the gearbox pattern!

I have impaired sight and this sytem is nigh on impossible to navigate.

I resolved the menu issue by buying another box from John Lewis that is not and will not be upgraded (I hope) as its not connected to Internet.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 April 2017, 12:12PM
    A User said:

Diabolical change to the interface. I want to revert to old menu system immediatly and have an assurance that YouView will give their customers the option to select a new interface or NOT in future.

Imagine taking your car in for a service and finding some idiot had changed the gearbox pattern!

Hi A User, may I ask why you picked another YouView and not one of the others on the market today?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • A UserA User Member Posts: 4
    edited 12 April 2017, 12:19PM
    A User said:

All other boxes we looked at appear to be adopting a tiled menu. Judging from feedback here we are in the majority who favour the old system. 
  • Nichola RussNichola Russ Member Posts: 5
    edited 12 April 2017, 7:38PM

Well mine are out of sequence!!!
    edited 12 April 2017, 7:50PM

Take a picture and post it here so YouView can see it then.
  • Chris ChurchleyChris Churchley Member Posts: 2
    edited 14 June 2017, 1:59AM

Hi Guys love the comments. What is worrying me is that me is that one of my main gripes seems to be missing from the above chats:

I will just focus on my main gripe which is the recording playback facility. The transparent prompts aren't transparent, they stay on the screen for 9  seconds after a user response and cover about a third of the screen and for some reason put the time on the screen. The new pause, playback and fast forward facilities massively interfere with the enjoyment of programs - especially sport. Try watching golf with the bottom third of the screen obliterated.

Cod

• greencodegreencode Member Posts: 18
    edited 20 April 2017, 7:04PM

Hi Guys love the comments. What is worrying me is that me is that one of my main gripes seems to be missing from the above chats:

I will just focus on my main gripe which is the recording playback facility. The transparent prompts aren't transparent, they stay on the screen for 9  seconds after a user response and cover about a third of the screen and for some reason put the time on the screen. The new pause, playback and fast forward facilities massively interfere with the enjoyment of programs - especially sport. Try watching golf with the bottom third of the screen obliterated.

Cod

I was thinking just the same thing last night. It's so black and then only graduates out at the top. If you look at other similar ones i.e. Amazon or NOW tv they do a similar thing but they aren't as harsh or as big and a slightly transparent.

Thankfully I managed to purchase another box on eBay and have stopped it from calling home to update so I shall be selling the new interface box as soon as.
  • Si monSi mon Member Posts: 3
    edited 16 April 2017, 12:00PM

Cod

BT / HUMAX revert back NOW until this is fixed !!!!!!!!!!!
    I changed remote batteries because I thought the remote was dead. I soon discovered it's the new firmware that's 'brain dead'. I paid good money for this excellent box which has been practically 'bricked' by the car crash update.
    edited 14 June 2017, 1:42AM
    Visionman said:

Polite, aren't you?

Agree fully. Who in the YouView team think this dumbed down, clunky, unresonsive update (27.47.0) is an improvement. Please provide the option of reverting to the previous firmware version.
    edited 11 May 2017, 9:39PM
    BT / HUMAX revert back NOW until this is fixed !!!!!!!!!!!
    I changed remote batteries because I thought the remote was dead. I soon discovered it's the new firmware that's 'brain dead'. I paid good money for this excellent box which has been practically 'bricked' by the car crash update.
  • WhiskeymacWhiskeymac Member Posts: 8
    edited 14 June 2017, 2:00AM
    Every time I use this new interface I find I have made a mistake, particularly by clicking right, at the start, and finding myself in scheduled instead of tracking right along the glitsy pictures.  This picture format adds nothing but clutter and, in the my view menu it spreads what was on 2 pages, onto about 7.  We hate it with a passion.  Pleases revert ASAP. or give us the choice of which format to use.

Incidently, Channel 109 is displayed in the guide as 1HD but turns out to be 4+1.  Channel 110 displayed as 4HD turns out to be 4 Seven!  Please fix this basic error.
    edited 16 April 2017, 2:54PM

Every time I use this new interface I find I have made a mistake, particularly by clicking right, at the start, and finding myself in scheduled instead of tracking right along the glitsy pictures.  This picture format adds nothing but clutter and, in the my view menu it spreads what was on 2 pages, onto about 7.  We hate it with a passion.  Pleases revert ASAP. or give us the choice of which format to use.

Incidently, Channel 109 is displayed in the guide as 1HD but turns out to be 4+1.  Channel 110 displayed as 4HD turns out to be 4 Seven!  Please fix this basic error.

Yes, I get the Recordings/Schedule confusión quite a lot, and my wife has even deleted a Schedule entry in the mistaken belief that she was deleting a Recording she had watched.

Arguably, the Recordings/Scheduled screen should not show Recordings, just the two header options; another suggestion is that the landing point should be the first recording.

With that, it is one extra keypress to get into Scheduled, but it is one less keypress every time you go into Recordings, which you probably do more often, so you wind up ahead.

The Guide glitches, which vary from user to user and incidence to incidence, are also a known issue.

Probably curable with a soft reset, though they should not be happening in the first place.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 April 2017, 4:16PM

Well that caused me some confusión when I tried to wipe a speck of dirt off my tablet's screen.
    edited 16 April 2017, 6:07PM

Ah, tablet jumping the pistola on our next jaunt to Spain... :-)
  • PhilipCPhilipC Member Posts: 3
    edited 14 June 2017, 7:44PM
    Visionman said:

Polite, aren't you?

Agree 100% with Weatherman.
  • clivemclivem Member Posts: 3
    edited 14 June 2017, 2:01AM

I too have had my BT T2110 YouView box software updated and find it one great step backwards for mankind. My box is now very slow to respond, it blacks out for short periods of time, has no facility to hide channels, and the text list of my many recordings has been replaced by thumbnails which are ridiculously confusing. it is so easy to make a mistake and delete a series of recordings. Further, using thumbnails drastically reduces the number  of recordings viewed per page making it very slow to go back to earlier recordings. It seems there is a trend these days to update for the sake of it and to hell with how well it works.  How can I go back to the previous version of the software?
  • CegCeg Member Posts: 184
    edited 18 April 2017, 12:30AM

Unfortunately you can't. Youview have promised that they will address the functionality that they removed and bugs that they have introduced. Probably only after all the boxes out there have been updated. This, as far as I know is still a few months away.

I would complain directly to youview as they need the feedback to understand the problems. I'm not holding my breath for the return of a list view.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 April 2017, 7:38AM

@clivem, people have some rose tinted glasses as you actually get MORE recordings per page with the thumbnails than you did with the old list view (12 v 9).
  • Scott LeslieScott Leslie Member Posts: 18
    edited 11 July 2017, 7:49PM
    David8 said:

I didn't mind it at first but have to agree in some areas specifically My TV.

agree. its a mess.
  • DaveGrohlDaveGrohl Member Posts: 80
    edited 14 June 2017, 2:03AM
    Car crash is a totally appropriate phrase. My loathing of this update has got worse and worse since it was forced onto us a couple of weeks ago. It is so horrific that I'm going to see if I can get hold of old stock from a retailer that hasn't been interfered with and replace this garbage. I won't be connecting it to the internet once installed.

Apart from the horrendous Mytv car crash area, there's the sluggishness of the new interface compared to the old software. I've no idea what some people are using their boxes for when they say it's faster, cos mine ain't for basic stuff like er watching tv, changing channels, navigating the ridiculous menu screens and watching recordings. And wtf is the horrific loss of over 30% of the screen all about whenever you press any button? It's blacked out at the bottom AND the top. Utter garbage. Oh but it's cloud based now. Idiots. Who gives a toss?
  • greencodegreencode Member Posts: 18
    edited 20 April 2017, 7:22PM
    DaveGrohl said:

Car crash is a totally appropriate phrase. My loathing of this update has got worse and worse since it was forced onto us a couple of weeks ago. It is so horrific that I'm going to see if I can get hold of old stock from a retailer that hasn't been interfered with and replace this garbage. I won't be connecting it to the internet once installed.

Apart from the horrendous Mytv car crash area, there's the sluggishness of the new interface compared to the old software. I've no idea what some people are using their boxes for when they say it's faster, cos mine ain't for basic stuff like er watching tv, changing channels, navigating the ridiculous menu screens and watching recordings. And wtf is the horrific loss of over 30% of the screen all about whenever you press any button? It's blacked out at the bottom AND the top. Utter garbage. Oh but it's cloud based now. Idiots. Who gives a toss?

Exactly what I did. Found one on eBay, asked the seller for the software version and bought it. Then stopped the network from midnight to 8am (I don't use the box during those times so though it best to block it as long as possible just in case they sneakily decide to update earlier!). So pleased to be back to the old version. Much quicker, easier to user, more functionality etc etc.
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 June 2017, 2:04AM
    Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to feedback to us. There is a lot of feedback here and I want to reassure you that we are listening and that we share all feedback with the teams here, good and bad. 

Testing is a subject that has come up a few times in this thread. We do extensive user testing for each release and even more when making big changes to the interface.

If you'd like to be a part of that testing circle, you can sign up to be apart of our Trials. Just email [email protected] and express an interest in joining and our Trials Team will get back to you.

We have some improvements coming soon and will be posting this week to let you know a bit more about them. 
  • WhiskeymacWhiskeymac Member Posts: 8
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    I had just about convinced my wife that we could ditch Sky, when this update came along.  Now I have to switch from Sky to Youview every time I want to view, before having to wade through all that non intuitive, flashy display.  Going to continue to cost me £20 a month for Sky I no longer use, but my wife now refuses to part with as she can't get her head around Youview any longer.  Can't argue with her either!
    edited 18 April 2017, 2:40PM

I had just about convinced my wife that we could ditch Sky, when this update came along.  Now I have to switch from Sky to Youview every time I want to view, before having to wade through all that non intuitive, flashy display.  Going to continue to cost me £20 a month for Sky I no longer use, but my wife now refuses to part with as she can't get her head around Youview any longer.  Can't argue with her either!

Funny my wife and twelve year old hate the SKY Q interface and have no problems with the YouView update (apart from hating the return journey from watching a recording), personally I can cope with either without much issue and actually find myself picking the YouView box to watch things most of the time. Each to thier own though I suppose.
    Looking forward to the announcement sanj ;-)
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 766 ✭✭
    edited 20 April 2017, 7:25PM

Firstly why on earth do you need Sky? I appreciate this was your own view/choice, I understand this, but unless you need it for the expensive exclusive channels you are wasting money anyway. Appreciate this is my view. I use Freesat which is non contract & enables me to get regional BBC news channels daily, which aren't on Freeview, only your local channel. There are a lot lot cheaper options, maybe worth checking Humax refurb deals? You could quite easily get Freeview PVR for about £50/75+ without a contract which has better menu setup + also many now have the Apps/on demand facility built in. A lot of people are oversold about Sky being the only solution. I totally agree with you with regards Youview. It is a total disgrace to Consumers at present. Until recently I was very happy using my Youview. Until they resolve major problems inc. the DARK shaded screen that gets in the way every time you do anything inc. Fast forward rewind, the very bad menu setup with regards deleting recording/accidently losing series etc etc, I will be transferring all my schedules to either Freeview or my Freesat PVR until Youview fix/repair complaints. Wish you good luck in improving your TV options.

Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    edited 18 April 2017, 1:59PM

Because I like to watch F1 (in UHD), PL (in UHD), Movies (in HD/UHD), Game of Thrones and a few other programmes (in at least Full HD) and also I want to watch all this (including my purchases and recordings) on a few boxes throughout the house. Unfortunately none of this is possible on anything but SKY Q..Plus I also got a very good deal :-)

Edit @John - not sure if that comment was aimed at me, Whiskeymac or both of us...

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 April 2017, 4:05PM

Hi John, you will actually find quite a few users on here and other YV fora that have both Sky Q and YouView as each box serves their own needs in there own way and as such isn't unusual. I did the same when I had Sky HD. Though back then it was a silver and then black BT Vision box. :)
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.