Small steps

2»

Comments

• William2William2 Member Posts: 11
    edited 16 April 2017, 11:04PM
    Visionman said:

I like NextGen. I like the look and the feel of it and I'm not alone either.
    Though what is agreed from and by those that hate it to those that like it is one thing and one thing only -

It needs much work.

Sad when people like to hide behind NDA's. Must have something to hide.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 April 2017, 3:14PM
    Daniel4 said:

I have reported this thread I think some users have crossed the line. I commend Roy and vision man I think with what's been said I would have flipped. You guys have shown incredible restraint. That's me been honest.

I (and Visionman also, if I may speak for him here) know that a few stiffly worded official emails will be going out tomorrow, to people who are unlikely to heed peer pressure, as well as to one who has already demonstrated that he is not inclined to.

That should be enough to put an end to this nonsense.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 16 April 2017, 11:58PM
    Visionman said:

Though what is agreed from and by those that hate it to those that like it is one thing and one thing only -

It needs much work.

That is an extremely naive thing to say. Businesses go under without NDA's.
    edited 17 April 2017, 12:08AM
    Visionman said:

It needs much work.

Signed or broke, William?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    This thread shouldn't have started in the first place. But who started it? My favorite hit-and-run poster. Who since starting it, hasn't said one word
    Inflame, rage, fall-out. Who then just sits back and smiles... "Yeah, that got 'em going.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • MrArtistMrArtist Member Posts: 9
    edited 17 April 2017, 2:52AM
    Visionman said:

It needs much work.

Hi Roy
    I specifically didn't comment on the NDA issue that has come about in this post. I don't know why you infer I do not know the value of one.

I actually believe they are an important thing to respect. Whether what was revealed was a major breach of confidential material I doubt and is perhaps another question. From my user/public perspective on coming to these forums in the last couple of days, to read it was the first ray of hope that something is actually being done, so that's why I said I was encouraged to hear it.

William
    There's nothing sad about an NDA, and there's nothing to hide. It's all about testing and being invited to be part of the development. It's just become one of the ways in which things can be reviewed and tested without causing issues to the majority..... however and sadly, it appears in this case that's not what happened with the NextGen roll out - given the long known limitations and issues,  in effect we all now have become guinea pigs - so much for NDAs in what appears to be testing grounds for fixes on what feels a little bit like a botch job in planning and public release.

I think in this case, let's not get too worried about this confidential breach of information - it's just some basic fixes that everyone is moaning about. If anything, it's a relief to hear something is actually being done. But true, it shouldn't actually happen in the first place as per terms of any NDA, the clue is in the name.     
    edited 17 April 2017, 4:37PM
    Visionman said:

It needs much work.

Actually, what should be happening (and maybe it is somewhere that I haven't found yet?) is that the devs should be chiming in with their little blog telling us how thing are going and what they're up to... it would save an awful lot of bickering here and in other posts and would bring a true sense of community to YV.
    edited 18 April 2017, 8:27AM
    Roy and Visionman,

Calm down and take it easy. It's only a TV box.

:-)
    edited 17 April 2017, 12:17PM
    Visionman said:

It needs much work.

I see the subtle distinction you are making here, Mrartist, and I am glad that you take crumbs of comfort from the leak.
    Though I was always confident there was work going on in the background, and did not need leaked details of an interim release to confirm that to me.

There won't be any such blog as you describe though; YouView have always played their cards very close to their chest, and given who the powerful shareholders are, the need to satisfy them, and the considerable commercial sensitivity of the current and future state of the YouView software, it would never make it through the seven layers of checking it would have to undergo.

But it has not escaped my attention that the considerable downside of this is the bombshell that has been launched on retail users, at least, without the slightest warning :-(
    edited 17 April 2017, 8:18AM
    MrArtist said:

Roy and Visionman,

Oh yeah, I forgot that. But then I've only been doing this for five years :-(
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 April 2017, 11:07AM
    Visionman said:

This thread shouldn't have started in the first place. But who started it? My favorite hit-and-run poster. Who since starting it, hasn't said one word
    Inflame, rage, fall-out. Who then just sits back and smiles... "Yeah, that got 'em going.

Once again Visionman your perception of my intentions and your imagined idea of my reactions are emphatically totally wrong.
    MrArtist said:

Roy and Visionman,

Hancock: It may be just a TV box to you, mate, but it's life and death to some poor wretch!
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 April 2017, 12:00PM
    Visionman said:

Jim

It's come across as your flaming. What your reaction should have been was

1. Report to youview trial team there has been a leak.
    2. Report to a talk talk oce about the leak even if it meant you had to sign up to there forum.

The trial team email is publicly available.

You instead chose to post it even though you know that youview trials are subject to a NDA what reaction did you expect. VM has been very lenient to you all things considered. Me I think you should be barred from here for what you have done.

You never should have started this thread in the first place.
    MrArtist said:

Roy and Visionman,

Stone me!... He's right you know...
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 537 ✭✭
    edited 17 April 2017, 6:06PM
    Visionman said:

Oh dear oh dear.

I think Daniel that you over react to so many things.

Once something is in the public domain is there any real harm repeating it  given that it's not abusive, racist, defamatory , slanderous etc , just something that so many YV users appreciate being told about.

To suggest banning someone for this is in my view ridiculous.

Yes if you sign up to an NDA & break it then there should be consequences but I suspect jimb hasn't so no big deal.
    edited 17 April 2017, 5:51PM
    Visionman said:

The big deal is Jim has flamed a lot in the past and this is one flame too far. In regards to the person on the talk talk forum a mans word is a really big part of who they are if they haven't got that they have nothing.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 April 2017, 5:57PM
    Visionman said:

Careful now Daniel, I would stop digging and straying into abuse territory yourself. We know who is responsible for the management of these forums and it is not you.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 April 2017, 6:07PM
    Visionman said:

I agree, chiz. Leave it now Daniel, as, as pointed out above, the YV team will be back tomorrow.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 17 April 2017, 6:06PM
    Visionman said:

Obviously not but the thread is a serious problem that should never have been posted. I have nothing further to add. As your aware I have reported the thread. I have made my point and have zero objections if sanji wants to remove a few of the posts I have made. I am not going to respond to this thread anymore.
    edited 17 April 2017, 6:07PM
    Visionman said:

I will do vm I feel this thread is a serious problem but I have made my point so I'm not posting anything further here.
  • FredyFredy Member Posts: 24
    edited 17 April 2017, 6:11PM
    Visionman said:

I don't understand what he is supposed to of done. Having just read the thread all he did was report what he had seen elsewhere. No big deal. Been better though if YouView were more up front with what went so wrong with this software implementation.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 April 2017, 7:14PM
    Visionman said:

YouView have commented. The purpose of trials and nda's is obviously just because something is in trial there is no guarantee that feature as it first appears would make it to a final release and you risk annoying annoyed people :-)
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 April 2017, 6:43PM
    Visionman said:

YouView have commented. The purpose of trials and nda's is obviously just because something is in trial there is no guarantee that feature as it first appears would make it to a final release and you risk annoying annoyed people :-)
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 April 2017, 3:42PM
    Hi guys,

It's unfortunate that one trialist has breached his NDA. TalkTalk are aware of the breach and will be contacting the customer in regards to this.

We were planning to update everyone on our progress while the trial was on going and will be posting an official update very soon.