[Discussion] Humax retail software update 27.50.0

Comments

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 April 2017, 5:15PM
    Visionman said:

Thanks CW, and for the record I've missed you. :)

Right, sorry to interrupt, but time to use the forum as a Q&A -

On this 27.50 update, I'm finding pressing and holding the arrow key when scrolling across series tiles to be jumpy and jerky.
    Has anyone else experienced or encountered this?   

I was thinking about the slapped legs... #yikes
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 April 2017, 6:27PM
    Visionman said:

On this 27.50 update, I'm finding pressing and holding the arrow key when scrolling across series tiles to be jumpy and jerky.

I'm never going to this this down, am I? 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 24 April 2017, 5:49PM
    Visionman said:

Well, I have found this banter to be a bit of light relief in these otherwise stressful times. Sorry for straying myself!
  • Simmy SarkariaSimmy Sarkaria Member Posts: 110
    edited 24 April 2017, 6:04PM

I thank churchwarden (above) for providing a detailed history of communications with YouView by some long-standing contributors, which I appreciate.
    From their many years' experience, the conclusion for the rest of us is clear:

We consumers - the millions who just want a decent PVR - should forget this YouView forum & complain instead to our own suppliers: BT, TalkTalk etc.
    We are their customers; it's up to them to sort things out with YouView - not us.
    If they can't sort it out, they'll have to look for other redress. For example: reduce our TV subscriptions to reflect the loss of service (ie lack of a fully functional PVR) - until YouView catches up.
    PVR = Personal Video Recorder - the generic name for these boxes

Others who, understandably, have an ongoing interest in s/w development will no doubt carry on the life of the forum with YouView. Nothing to be gained by us consumers here. If YouView are not listening to these long-standing & long-suffering contributors - they're certainly not going to listen to us!

YouView's lack of interest in all their efforts over the years is dismal. YouView clearly aren't listening - or choose not to hear. As CW puts it: "few requests...even acknowledged", "grateful for any crumbs", "5 years with little or no success"...
    YouView are just not listening to you all, are they?

YouView's failure to come up with any official response to all the bad feedback on this & many other forums did amaze me. But now I see it just reflects the experience of these long-standing contributors over many years.

I'm just a customer. I'm not interested in a dialogue with YouView - certainly not a one-sided one. I'm a consumer whose purchase has been damaged by an incomplete upgrade. YouView clearly knew it was incomplete - but chose to go ahead anyway (presumably for commercial reasons, which are none of my concern). They did so with no regard for the impact on customers.

Churchwarden says YouView's aim is to 'future-proof' the system by moving to new software. That may well be true, but again: it's none of my concern - nor should it be. What IS my concern is that the PVR I bought is no longer 'fit for purpose' - as defined by the 2015 Consumer Rights Act. The old software might have caused problems for YouView behind the scenes - but for the customer, IT WORKED. (sorry about the capitals, my 'bold' disappeared!) The new PVR platform should never have been implemented until it could do what the old one did - at the very least.

Ideally YouView should now withdraw the upgrade until complete but, if this is impossible, they must make redress. My own contract is with BT, so I'll seek redress that way; YouView is BT's problem, not mine.
    The 27.5 release (as described in YouView's announcement) appears to be just superficial changes to calm the masses - a sort of technological Prozac.

I totally agree with CW that sniping among forum members is pointless - probably makes YouView even less likely to pay attention (if that were possible...!). As said before, I admire the ability of some contributors to remain positive against all the odds, but I don't share that view. Sorry.

I have the humax dtrt4000, when will i receive the update?
    edited 24 April 2017, 6:09PM

I thank churchwarden (above) for providing a detailed history of communications with YouView by some long-standing contributors, which I appreciate.

We consumers - the millions who just want a decent PVR - should forget this YouView forum & complain instead to our own suppliers: BT, TalkTalk etc.
    We are their customers; it's up to them to sort things out with YouView - not us.
    If they can't sort it out, they'll have to look for other redress. For example: reduce our TV subscriptions to reflect the loss of service (ie lack of a fully functional PVR) - until YouView catches up.

Others who, understandably, have an ongoing interest in s/w development will no doubt carry on the life of the forum with YouView. Nothing to be gained by us consumers here. If YouView are not listening to these long-standing & long-suffering contributors - they're certainly not going to listen to us!

YouView's lack of interest in all their efforts over the years is dismal. YouView clearly aren't listening - or choose not to hear. As CW puts it: "few requests...even acknowledged", "grateful for any crumbs", "5 years with little or no success"...

YouView's failure to come up with any official response to all the bad feedback on this & many other forums did amaze me. But now I see it just reflects the experience of these long-standing contributors over many years.

I'm just a customer. I'm not interested in a dialogue with YouView - certainly not a one-sided one. I'm a consumer whose purchase has been damaged by an incomplete upgrade. YouView clearly knew it was incomplete - but chose to go ahead anyway (presumably for commercial reasons, which are none of my concern). They did so with no regard for the impact on customers.

Churchwarden says YouView's aim is to 'future-proof' the system by moving to new software. That may well be true, but again: it's none of my concern - nor should it be. What IS my concern is that the PVR I bought is no longer 'fit for purpose' - as defined by the 2015 Consumer Rights Act. The old software might have caused problems for YouView behind the scenes - but for the customer, IT WORKED. (sorry about the capitals, my 'bold' disappeared!) The new PVR platform should never have been implemented until it could do what the old one did - at the very least.

Ideally YouView should now withdraw the upgrade until complete but, if this is impossible, they must make redress. My own contract is with BT, so I'll seek redress that way; YouView is BT's problem, not mine.
    The 27.5 release (as described in YouView's announcement) appears to be just superficial changes to calm the masses - a sort of technological Prozac.

I totally agree with CW that sniping among forum members is pointless - probably makes YouView even less likely to pay attention (if that were possible...!). As said before, I admire the ability of some contributors to remain positive against all the odds, but I don't share that view. Sorry.

Hey Simmy, YouView do not pre-announce updates, they only notify each version for each box when they are ready.
    edited 24 April 2017, 6:10PM

Hey Simmy, your model isn't set to receive this, YouView do not pre-announce updates, they only notify each version for each box when they are ready.
  • Simmy SarkariaSimmy Sarkaria Member Posts: 110
    edited 24 April 2017, 6:10PM

ok thanks
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 25 April 2017, 10:24PM
    Visionman said:

• Sarah Lovelace1Sarah Lovelace1 Member Posts: 28
    edited 24 April 2017, 6:28PM

I have the T2000 but have not received the latest update yet..I am still on the large tile..
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 24 April 2017, 6:28PM
    Visionman said:

No, Visionman.......
    edited 25 April 2017, 8:38AM

All updates are phased because there are so many devices involved, so sit tight and it will reach you eventually. Make sure your box is in one of the standby modes and connected to the internet at all times.
  • MrMcgMrMcg Member Posts: 105
    edited 24 April 2017, 8:36PM
    Visionman said:

Scott>
    "Nice improvement. Keep em coming :-)
    I especially like the definition between each tile now. Also shows there is promise behind the faster rollout of improvements."
    I've been amazed at how quickly they have got this out which is certainly proof its no YV 1.0.

The removal of the big tile and making all others the same size and equidistant from one another has certainly helped. The effect of which now includes wider tiles with a fuller description.
    And being dropped onto the oldest and first episode on a series record is a godsend.
    Its still not perfect but its a start.

Roy,
    There is so much wrong with your interpretation of the situation in this comment sub-thread, I don't know where to start.

All I will say is that if you cannot discern the difference between the posters who"ask" (and therefore should stick to topic), and those who "reply" (and post in-context), then no wonder you mis-interpret as catastrophically as you have.

I don't know where you are getting the complaint about "NextGen being unclear and arbitrary-looking", but it wasn't me, so please don't insinuate otherwise.
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Member Posts: 246
    edited 29 April 2017, 5:59AM
    sydney1 said:

I don't need to visionman as you are just a user like me.

The latest update solves a lot of the problems reported.
    Actually, it just makes one of the problems a different shape........
    edited 24 April 2017, 11:09PM

Bump.
  • WayneWayne Member Posts: 82
    edited 24 April 2017, 11:57PM
    sydney1 said:

How do you mean, Dave?
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Member Posts: 246
    edited 25 April 2017, 12:01AM
    sydney1 said:

The shape of the tiles have changed ;~)
  • bob3bob3 Member Posts: 28
    edited 24 September 2017, 8:07PM
    Dear oh dear... I just got this update today. Not impressed. The new tiles layout looks like a five year old designed it.

When will youview get the message - horizontal descending date tiles don't work. They're not intuitive in the least. Please, please can we have a descending date list like the one I had a few months ago that i paid 200 pounds for. I still miss the small TV that I had in the guide view but i can accept the bad decision to remove it but I can't accept this mess of a 'mytv' page.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 May 2017, 10:59AM
    bob3 said:

Dear oh dear... I just got this update today. Not impressed. The new tiles layout looks like a five year old designed it.

When will youview get the message - horizontal descending date tiles don't work. They're not intuitive in the least. Please, please can we have a descending date list like the one I had a few months ago that i paid 200 pounds for. I still miss the small TV that I had in the guide view but i can accept the bad decision to remove it but I can't accept this mess of a 'mytv' page.

The tiles is a excellent idea yes improvements are needed but 27.50.0 is a great start. The large tile is gone and at least when you click into a tile it starts at the oldest episode. Fantastic start.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 April 2017, 12:19AM
    bob3 said:

Er - wasn't the start four months ago?

27.50.0 can best be described as a quotidian late addition.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    edited 25 April 2017, 10:29PM
    bob3 said:

I was meaning is a fantastic start to the fixing of my tv/ recordings journey
  • CegCeg Member Posts: 184
    edited 25 April 2017, 10:32PM
    bob3 said:

Daniel: *You* think the tiles are an excellent idea.

bob: if you have a look around the forum you will see you're not alone on this, you will probably have already found a number of missing features and niggles that others have found. Someone on here is looking to get a refund for their retail box from the retailer. This might be something you could look into.
    edited 25 April 2017, 10:34PM
    bob3 said:

And to be clear Roy I am of the oppion that because of the changes on 27.50.0 the only thing left to sort is a few more changes to the recordings journey and return of action panel and hide channels. Maybe figure out a way to sort out blank tiles on local channels that's about it for me.
  • bob3bob3 Member Posts: 28
    edited 25 April 2017, 11:24PM
    bob3 said:

@Ceg I would if I thought it was achievable but I'm not sure it is unfortunately.
    edited 25 April 2017, 11:29PM
    bob3 said:

That's a shame, hopefully over time functions will be restored to get NextGen to at least the level of old gen.

I was extremely lucky as I visited this forum before my box was due to be updated and have so far managed to keep it at bay.
    edited 25 April 2017, 11:38PM
    bob3 said:

"27.50.0 can best be described as a quotidian late addition."
    Hmm... no.
    Scratch more like. And on a personal note, and a personal note only, I have been hugely impressed with how quickly they have got this update out to address. Lets hope that continues. :)
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 April 2017, 4:48AM
    bob3 said:

Visionman

I don't understand. Are you saying this release is just scratching the surface of what still needs to be fixed, or what?

And the code output rate is slightly less than one feature per week.

MyTV tiles was a biggie to be sure, but I reckon there is someone at YouView Towers with a quiet smile of satisfaction on his/her face because he/she wireframed this look months ago, only to have it passed over in favour of the now deprecated 'big tile' look.

Daniel

'Jump to minute' is a biggie for many people.

'Can't delete single episode from series schedule' is also on the list.

'Entering MyTV makes you think you are in Recordings, but you aren't' is a third.

'No longer offered HD alternative to watch when that is available' has come up more than once here.

Need I go on?

And even within what has just been fixed:-

'Landing point on a series should be oldest not completely watched, not oldest'

'Main Menu should not timeout after just thirty seconds when positively selected by user action'

And for everyone but you, the elephant in the room is 'please give us a Lists View option'
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    edited 26 April 2017, 7:40AM
    bob3 said:

Realistically do you see a list view happening Roy honestly.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 April 2017, 8:58AM
    bob3 said:

Given YouView's past responses for options or change one would say the chances of an option of a list-like view of MyTV are very low. Given the continuing levels of feedback, including some about accessibility issues, one might say the message should be sinking in with YouView now and the chance of this being accepted for development is growing. If, however, the feedback to date does not result in them (privately) deciding to work on this then as more time progresses I would expect their position to solidify and the chance of this decrease to zero.

If the decision were mine it would be in active feasibility and implications discussion now with a view to making it happen unless it really was impractical :)
  • SimesSimes Member Posts: 4
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    I joined this forum a couple of months ago after the release of software version 27.45.0 to note some bugs. The revised (27.50.0) software dropped on to my Humax T2000 overnight and I am writing here to acknowledge and thank the developers for the changes they have made.

- For me, the larger equally sized tiles on the MyTV page are better; clearer and easier to read on my 40" TV (albeit that I would like the option to return to written lists, rather than pictorial displays as I find these easier to interpret). A list option would be appreciated.

- The fact that opening a recorded series from the MyTV page now takes you to the first episode rather then the latest directly addresses my principal gripe and means that there will be a lot less button-pushing in the future - many thanks for that

HOWEVER...

While 27.50.0 looks as though it will be a lot more useable day-to-day, there are still several features and behaviours that I would appreciate being addressed in future releases. These specifically were available on my previous Humax model (a 9200T) and provided a much more user-friendly user experience:

- Pressing the Stop or Back button whilst watching a recorded programme should NOT take you back two screens-worth to the MyTV page - ideally pressing either of these buttons should take you back one page only, to the list of episodes of the same programme; thus enabling you to delete what you have just watched without having to jump forward again in to that episode list

- When a recording has ended, I am presented with a blue screen and the message 'This recording has ended / Press BACK to dismiss.' This message and screen are totally unnecessary - I know when a recording has finished, because it is not playing what it was! Even if I have left the room for some reason and returned, this is a pointless message which only serves to require me to press a button to get rid of it. The 9200T took me immediately back one page and I see no reason why this new model should not do the same. Taking me straight to the episode list would allow me to either delete or re-watch the programme as required without additional clicks

- The 9200T allowed me to delete a programme with one (confirmable) click while watching it. This was useful because I could remove a programme I no longer needed but which I had to watch the first few seconds of, to check which one it was. This is in contrast to the 3 clicks the T2000 now requires when I have to stop the recording and go forward again in to the episode list

- Selecting the 'Programme Information' (i) button effectively disables all other options, meaning the information has to be removed before I can Stop or Delete the programme I am watching, or change channel. Why is this? It's a pain - once I have identified the programme, I want to be able to move on without having to remove the information screen

- The order of recorded programmes on the MyTV page changes constantly based on the latest recorded episode of any programme. A toggle option to allow these to be sorted alphabetically would speed up my search for a programme when I have many unwatched items

- The 9200T had the ability to jump through the EPG by 2 hours backwards or forwards using the Fast Forward (>>) and Rewind (<<) buttons (the 'Change Day' option was previously selected by the Skip Forward (>>¦) and Skip backward (¦<<) buttons). Since upgrading to the T2000, only the 'Change Day' facility is available and there is no option to jump forwards or backwards by 2 hours, which makes scrolling painfully slow

- The 9200T enabled me to review my recorded programmes with one click of a button rather than the 4 required by the T2000. Allocation of a shortcut button to go straight to my recorded programmes would greatly speed up the process

- The 9200T enabled navigation throughout the length of a recorded programme using the right and left arrow keys for 'to the minute' selection of a time within a programme. This was particularly useful if I had fallen asleep watching something and needed to quickly get back to the last bit I had remembered watching. Unfortunately, the only way now to position the start of watching is by using the Fast Forward button which can take a long time if it's a long film

I don't want this post to come off as just a complaint - it's good to see the developers responding to user feedback and I acknowledge their work.
    edited 26 April 2017, 8:34AM
    Simes said:

I joined this forum a couple of months ago after the release of software version 27.45.0 to note some bugs. The revised (27.50.0) software dropped on to my Humax T2000 overnight and I am writing here to acknowledge and thank the developers for the changes they have made.

- For me, the larger equally sized tiles on the MyTV page are better; clearer and easier to read on my 40" TV (albeit that I would like the option to return to written lists, rather than pictorial displays as I find these easier to interpret). A list option would be appreciated.

- The fact that opening a recorded series from the MyTV page now takes you to the first episode rather then the latest directly addresses my principal gripe and means that there will be a lot less button-pushing in the future - many thanks for that

HOWEVER...

While 27.50.0 looks as though it will be a lot more useable day-to-day, there are still several features and behaviours that I would appreciate being addressed in future releases. These specifically were available on my previous Humax model (a 9200T) and provided a much more user-friendly user experience:

- Pressing the Stop or Back button whilst watching a recorded programme should NOT take you back two screens-worth to the MyTV page - ideally pressing either of these buttons should take you back one page only, to the list of episodes of the same programme; thus enabling you to delete what you have just watched without having to jump forward again in to that episode list

- When a recording has ended, I am presented with a blue screen and the message 'This recording has ended / Press BACK to dismiss.' This message and screen are totally unnecessary - I know when a recording has finished, because it is not playing what it was! Even if I have left the room for some reason and returned, this is a pointless message which only serves to require me to press a button to get rid of it. The 9200T took me immediately back one page and I see no reason why this new model should not do the same. Taking me straight to the episode list would allow me to either delete or re-watch the programme as required without additional clicks

- The 9200T allowed me to delete a programme with one (confirmable) click while watching it. This was useful because I could remove a programme I no longer needed but which I had to watch the first few seconds of, to check which one it was. This is in contrast to the 3 clicks the T2000 now requires when I have to stop the recording and go forward again in to the episode list

- Selecting the 'Programme Information' (i) button effectively disables all other options, meaning the information has to be removed before I can Stop or Delete the programme I am watching, or change channel. Why is this? It's a pain - once I have identified the programme, I want to be able to move on without having to remove the information screen

- The order of recorded programmes on the MyTV page changes constantly based on the latest recorded episode of any programme. A toggle option to allow these to be sorted alphabetically would speed up my search for a programme when I have many unwatched items

- The 9200T had the ability to jump through the EPG by 2 hours backwards or forwards using the Fast Forward (>>) and Rewind (<<) buttons (the 'Change Day' option was previously selected by the Skip Forward (>>¦) and Skip backward (¦<<) buttons). Since upgrading to the T2000, only the 'Change Day' facility is available and there is no option to jump forwards or backwards by 2 hours, which makes scrolling painfully slow

- The 9200T enabled me to review my recorded programmes with one click of a button rather than the 4 required by the T2000. Allocation of a shortcut button to go straight to my recorded programmes would greatly speed up the process

- The 9200T enabled navigation throughout the length of a recorded programme using the right and left arrow keys for 'to the minute' selection of a time within a programme. This was particularly useful if I had fallen asleep watching something and needed to quickly get back to the last bit I had remembered watching. Unfortunately, the only way now to position the start of watching is by using the Fast Forward button which can take a long time if it's a long film

I don't want this post to come off as just a complaint - it's good to see the developers responding to user feedback and I acknowledge their work.

I have missed the ability to jump forward a few hours in the EPG ever since I switched to Youview. Seeing as this is a new feature to Youview, and given their track record of introducing new features, I don't think it will ever happen.