[Discussion] Humax retail software update 27.50.0

Comments

• Matthew JohnsMatthew Johns Member Posts: 98
    edited 26 April 2017, 9:45AM
    Simes said:

I joined this forum a couple of months ago after the release of software version 27.45.0 to note some bugs. The revised (27.50.0) software dropped on to my Humax T2000 overnight and I am writing here to acknowledge and thank the developers for the changes they have made.

- For me, the larger equally sized tiles on the MyTV page are better; clearer and easier to read on my 40" TV (albeit that I would like the option to return to written lists, rather than pictorial displays as I find these easier to interpret). A list option would be appreciated.

- The fact that opening a recorded series from the MyTV page now takes you to the first episode rather then the latest directly addresses my principal gripe and means that there will be a lot less button-pushing in the future - many thanks for that

HOWEVER...

While 27.50.0 looks as though it will be a lot more useable day-to-day, there are still several features and behaviours that I would appreciate being addressed in future releases. These specifically were available on my previous Humax model (a 9200T) and provided a much more user-friendly user experience:

- Pressing the Stop or Back button whilst watching a recorded programme should NOT take you back two screens-worth to the MyTV page - ideally pressing either of these buttons should take you back one page only, to the list of episodes of the same programme; thus enabling you to delete what you have just watched without having to jump forward again in to that episode list

- When a recording has ended, I am presented with a blue screen and the message 'This recording has ended / Press BACK to dismiss.' This message and screen are totally unnecessary - I know when a recording has finished, because it is not playing what it was! Even if I have left the room for some reason and returned, this is a pointless message which only serves to require me to press a button to get rid of it. The 9200T took me immediately back one page and I see no reason why this new model should not do the same. Taking me straight to the episode list would allow me to either delete or re-watch the programme as required without additional clicks

- The 9200T allowed me to delete a programme with one (confirmable) click while watching it. This was useful because I could remove a programme I no longer needed but which I had to watch the first few seconds of, to check which one it was. This is in contrast to the 3 clicks the T2000 now requires when I have to stop the recording and go forward again in to the episode list

- Selecting the 'Programme Information' (i) button effectively disables all other options, meaning the information has to be removed before I can Stop or Delete the programme I am watching, or change channel. Why is this? It's a pain - once I have identified the programme, I want to be able to move on without having to remove the information screen

- The order of recorded programmes on the MyTV page changes constantly based on the latest recorded episode of any programme. A toggle option to allow these to be sorted alphabetically would speed up my search for a programme when I have many unwatched items

- The 9200T had the ability to jump through the EPG by 2 hours backwards or forwards using the Fast Forward (>>) and Rewind (<<) buttons (the 'Change Day' option was previously selected by the Skip Forward (>>¦) and Skip backward (¦<<) buttons). Since upgrading to the T2000, only the 'Change Day' facility is available and there is no option to jump forwards or backwards by 2 hours, which makes scrolling painfully slow

- The 9200T enabled me to review my recorded programmes with one click of a button rather than the 4 required by the T2000. Allocation of a shortcut button to go straight to my recorded programmes would greatly speed up the process

- The 9200T enabled navigation throughout the length of a recorded programme using the right and left arrow keys for 'to the minute' selection of a time within a programme. This was particularly useful if I had fallen asleep watching something and needed to quickly get back to the last bit I had remembered watching. Unfortunately, the only way now to position the start of watching is by using the Fast Forward button which can take a long time if it's a long film

I don't want this post to come off as just a complaint - it's good to see the developers responding to user feedback and I acknowledge their work.

As an ex-9200T user I applaud your summary of the functionality that I miss since moving to Youview.
    +1 to any implementation of these functions
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 26 April 2017, 10:07AM
    Simes said:

I joined this forum a couple of months ago after the release of software version 27.45.0 to note some bugs. The revised (27.50.0) software dropped on to my Humax T2000 overnight and I am writing here to acknowledge and thank the developers for the changes they have made.

- For me, the larger equally sized tiles on the MyTV page are better; clearer and easier to read on my 40" TV (albeit that I would like the option to return to written lists, rather than pictorial displays as I find these easier to interpret). A list option would be appreciated.

- The fact that opening a recorded series from the MyTV page now takes you to the first episode rather then the latest directly addresses my principal gripe and means that there will be a lot less button-pushing in the future - many thanks for that

HOWEVER...

While 27.50.0 looks as though it will be a lot more useable day-to-day, there are still several features and behaviours that I would appreciate being addressed in future releases. These specifically were available on my previous Humax model (a 9200T) and provided a much more user-friendly user experience:

- Pressing the Stop or Back button whilst watching a recorded programme should NOT take you back two screens-worth to the MyTV page - ideally pressing either of these buttons should take you back one page only, to the list of episodes of the same programme; thus enabling you to delete what you have just watched without having to jump forward again in to that episode list

- When a recording has ended, I am presented with a blue screen and the message 'This recording has ended / Press BACK to dismiss.' This message and screen are totally unnecessary - I know when a recording has finished, because it is not playing what it was! Even if I have left the room for some reason and returned, this is a pointless message which only serves to require me to press a button to get rid of it. The 9200T took me immediately back one page and I see no reason why this new model should not do the same. Taking me straight to the episode list would allow me to either delete or re-watch the programme as required without additional clicks

- The 9200T allowed me to delete a programme with one (confirmable) click while watching it. This was useful because I could remove a programme I no longer needed but which I had to watch the first few seconds of, to check which one it was. This is in contrast to the 3 clicks the T2000 now requires when I have to stop the recording and go forward again in to the episode list

- Selecting the 'Programme Information' (i) button effectively disables all other options, meaning the information has to be removed before I can Stop or Delete the programme I am watching, or change channel. Why is this? It's a pain - once I have identified the programme, I want to be able to move on without having to remove the information screen

- The order of recorded programmes on the MyTV page changes constantly based on the latest recorded episode of any programme. A toggle option to allow these to be sorted alphabetically would speed up my search for a programme when I have many unwatched items

- The 9200T had the ability to jump through the EPG by 2 hours backwards or forwards using the Fast Forward (>>) and Rewind (<<) buttons (the 'Change Day' option was previously selected by the Skip Forward (>>¦) and Skip backward (¦<<) buttons). Since upgrading to the T2000, only the 'Change Day' facility is available and there is no option to jump forwards or backwards by 2 hours, which makes scrolling painfully slow

- The 9200T enabled me to review my recorded programmes with one click of a button rather than the 4 required by the T2000. Allocation of a shortcut button to go straight to my recorded programmes would greatly speed up the process

- The 9200T enabled navigation throughout the length of a recorded programme using the right and left arrow keys for 'to the minute' selection of a time within a programme. This was particularly useful if I had fallen asleep watching something and needed to quickly get back to the last bit I had remembered watching. Unfortunately, the only way now to position the start of watching is by using the Fast Forward button which can take a long time if it's a long film

I don't want this post to come off as just a complaint - it's good to see the developers responding to user feedback and I acknowledge their work.

I also came from a 9200T. Humax designers paid attention to minimising key presses. From the off with YouView I've campaigned for minimising key presses, even going so far as suggesting it should be a key design criteria.

Time spent by the YouView team reviewing the current functionality and optimising key presses in all areas would have a massive impact on the usability of the UI. It would not change WHAT we do (i. e. base functionality), but would significantly improve HOW we do it.

I don't believe this exercise would be that arduous, but the benefits would be huge.
  • Claire TwineClaire Twine Member Posts: 59
    edited 26 April 2017, 11:42AM
    Thank you - you're halfway there for me! Yes, I still hate the tiles but I'm glad the large tile has gone. I would still like to be able to sort my recording A-Z. The biggest bug bear for me was having to scroll back 20 episodes to watch the beginning of a series. Now I'm automatically directed to the oldest program recorded so for that a big thank you. Now if you could bring back hiding channels in the EPG then I'll be almost very happy! (Still like my old box but at least there are some positive changes going on).
  • Wilf21Wilf21 Member Posts: 11
    edited 24 September 2017, 9:07PM
    I don't know how others feel, but one annoyance now and with previous versions including the old software, is this.  The thing I want to do most is get to MyTV and its/my list of recorded or to be recorded programmes.  Consequently, when the machine is first switched on or when I press the blue You View button on my remote, I think that MyTV ought to be the first item on the ensuing menu, and not the Guide, for which there is a dedicated remote control button in any case.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 April 2017, 11:27AM
    Wilf21 said:

I don't know how others feel, but one annoyance now and with previous versions including the old software, is this.  The thing I want to do most is get to MyTV and its/my list of recorded or to be recorded programmes.  Consequently, when the machine is first switched on or when I press the blue You View button on my remote, I think that MyTV ought to be the first item on the ensuing menu, and not the Guide, for which there is a dedicated remote control button in any case.

Wilf21, this feature request goes back to the earliest days of YouView, if not before! Given that they have actually made the journey to MyTV/recordings longer than before we can only surmise that they have no interest or intention in addressing this.  :-(
    Wilf21 said:

Thanks.  That's a great pity since it seems to me to be such an obvious requirement.  I mean, what's the main purpose of the box? To make recordings and then view them.
  • CegCeg Member Posts: 184
    edited 26 April 2017, 11:07AM
    Simes said:

HOWEVER...

I think that's an excellent idea but it seems it would require a 'cultural' change at Youview. Given the number of issues with the new software it looks like they'll be caught up in fixing those and adding previously available functionality before they can even think about reducing key presses and making the software easier to use.
    Wilf21 said:

Your last point is arguable and bear in mind that there are YouView boxes which do not record at all. But ease of access to recordings could be improved, no doubt about that.
    Wilf21 said:

A fair point
  • SomersetBobSomersetBob Member Posts: 209 ✭✭
    edited 26 April 2017, 11:32AM
    Wilf21 said:

That's why I like my Logitech 555 - programmed the keys to take me there with one press :-)
    edited 26 April 2017, 11:56AM
    Wilf21 said:

Note to self: check roster of key YouView managers and developers against share register of Logitech International SA.  ;)
  • Tim NottnocTim Nottnoc Member Posts: 3
    edited 26 April 2017, 3:36PM
    What peeves me, is that one cannot now go to a particular time in a program without fast forwarding to get there. Deffo NOT letting my other box or my 91 year old mother's EVER see the internet.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Software Update 16/03/2017.
  • SpargoSpargo Member Posts: 31
    edited 26 April 2017, 4:02PM
    Simes said:

HOWEVER...

Simes, Matthew and churchwarden - I agree totally with all you say about the 9200T. Other features which I liked were the ability to use bookmarks to identify a place in a recording to which you could return later and also the ability to output programmes to record on a DVD.

I bought my T2000 on the strength of the 9200T I had for about 8 years thinking if it's Humax, it'll be ok. What could possibly go wrong, go wrong, go wrong... Well now I know.

In particular I'm miffed because the USB ports, which could have been so useful seem to be little more than decoration (what can you actually do with them?) so I just seem to have bought myself an expensive phone charger which degrades with updates.

The removal of the oversize tile is small consolation but give us the option of lists as well. I suppose in time even the miniscule changes will improve matters - as the monkey said when he wee-weed in the sea "every little helps".

• churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 26 April 2017, 6:54PM
    Simes said:

HOWEVER...

Thanks, Spargo. Not an unreasonable assumption - "Humax? - this YouView box will probably be a step up from what I'm familiar with already....". In reality, Humax purely supply the kit, and have no responsibility for the user interface which is solely written and updated by the YouView team. Indeed it was a total rewrite/redesign with no similarities to the earlier Humax UI, as became obvious from day one. That having been said, we did get additional functionality although IMHO it didn't justify the reduction in other areas of functionality. Only people with little practical experience of using existing pvrs could have designed the new user interface, I believe.

It should also be borne in mind that the YouView software also runs on other hardware platforms, including TVs.

Therefore, in conclusion, fond thoughts of the Humax 9200T must remain a pleasant memory of past times - never to return.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 April 2017, 7:25PM
    bob3 said:

Dear oh dear... I just got this update today. Not impressed. The new tiles layout looks like a five year old designed it.

When will youview get the message - horizontal descending date tiles don't work. They're not intuitive in the least. Please, please can we have a descending date list like the one I had a few months ago that i paid 200 pounds for. I still miss the small TV that I had in the guide view but i can accept the bad decision to remove it but I can't accept this mess of a 'mytv' page.

Yes, and we would be making a start on padding tomorrow :-)

I don't want to deal with an organisation that piously says "we're listening to your feedback ".

I want to deal with one that says "we're acting on your feedback".
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    edited 27 April 2017, 12:51AM
    Wilf21 said:

Note to YouView: putting MyTV one further click away from where it was when everyone was pleading with you to put it one click nearer in CurrentGen was like a slap in the face which says you don't give a flying (redacted) about your customers :-(
    edited 26 April 2017, 7:36PM
    Wilf21 said:

Indeed, as observed earlier, but not quite so unpleasantly.
    edited 27 April 2017, 1:09AM
    Wilf21 said:

Putting it pleasantly hasn't worked for five years; what would you suggest here?
    edited 26 April 2017, 8:28PM
    Wilf21 said:

Don't go there bud. :-(
  • Paul26Paul26 Member Posts: 8
    Much better now, but still would like the list option please rather than thumbnails. Bury the option in the settings/options if you have to but having the choice will be great.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    Wilf21 said:

For some of us of course MyView/MyTV has only been one click away for over 4 years - now that is a way to get better harmony in the home ;-)
  • CegCeg Member Posts: 184
    edited 26 April 2017, 8:34PM
    Wilf21 said:

Roy: you're meant to be happy that there's been an update and this is a sign that every problem both old and recently introduced will be fixed :)
    Wilf21 said:

"Cynic, n: a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. "
    Ambrose Bierce
  • mvemve Member Posts: 3
    edited 26 April 2017, 9:54PM
    scott said:

Nice improvement. Keep em coming :-)

I especially like the definition between each tile now.

Also shows there is promise behind the faster rollout of improvements.

I have now got the new release. MyTV is marginally different but it is appallingly slow. It took five minutes to go to MyTV, find the program I wanted in page 3, find the episode I wanted from a long series, and start it. Is this due to my poor internet speed. That did not seem to effect the old list-based interface. Please do something.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 April 2017, 10:01PM
    scott said:

Nice improvement. Keep em coming :-)

I especially like the definition between each tile now.

Also shows there is promise behind the faster rollout of improvements.

You can press the channel up and down button to jump between pages. The tile images come though the Internet what model of box are you using?
  • Paul NormanPaul Norman Member Posts: 39
    Thank god the big tile has gone, but now seems slower to populate. Doesn't address the bigger issues though.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2017, 1:02AM

Thank god the big tile has gone, but now seems slower to populate. Doesn't address the bigger issues though.

It's a great start the recordings now start at the oldest episode in a series stack. Next generation keeps getting better and better.
  • SpargoSpargo Member Posts: 31
    edited 27 April 2017, 7:53PM

Plenty of scope for that!
    edited 29 April 2017, 7:30AM

Only way is up from bottom, shame it used to be at the top.
    edited 29 April 2017, 5:14PM
    Visionman said:

There are users on here who are criticising and complaining about this new update who haven't even got it yet. Please stop and wait until you do.

I have it and it is still not fit for purpose