[Discussion] BT software update 27.50.0

Comments

• Harry2Harry2 Member Posts: 2
    edited 30 April 2017, 3:29PM
    The new software is much slower and not as responsive. Is anybody else experiencing this?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,140 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 April 2017, 3:41PM
    No. If anything it should be quicker. Whats your box model, Harry?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Harry2Harry2 Member Posts: 2
    edited 30 April 2017, 4:01PM
    @visionman I have a BT Humax DTRT2100
    Just browsing the EPG and other functions is slower for me. The previous version seemed much more responsive and quicker. For example if I press OK to bring up the mini EPG it takes half a second or so before anything happens. I'm sure on the previous version it was near instant.

Reminds me of using Sky+ or Virgin TV which is slow. Perhaps I need to give it a kick?
    edited 30 April 2017, 4:08PM
    Yeah, give it a kick, as your box response times should have increased by approx 50% and Player loading times by 60. 
  • Andrew BellingerAndrew Bellinger Member Posts: 11
    edited 30 April 2017, 7:45PM
    Another thing that needs to improve is the delete function. It needs to tell you the name of the programme that you are deleting when it comes up with the black screen. I have deleted several things that I should have not, because the highlighted box has moved on. This is the screen that comes up when confirmation to delete is switched on.
  • Steve KSteve K Member Posts: 295
    edited 1 May 2017, 11:16PM
    Do we have a discussion split over multiple threads?  The email YouView sent me in response to direct comments says they are using the Next Gen thread as their main source of feedback
    https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/forum-feedback-on-mytv-in-next-gen-software
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,074 ✭✭
    edited 2 May 2017, 12:05AM
    There are several discussions spread across several threads. I would have thought that Youview would be taking note of comments made on the official threads that they created which would include that one and the product update release threads. Unusually  there has not yet been an official Product Release thread for BT software release 27.50.0 only for the earlier deployment of the release to Retail so several people have been commenting in this thread that Visonman created.
    edited 3 May 2017, 12:18AM
    Zulu -
    Did you know the official YouView Product Release page doesn't even acknowledge the release or existence of BT 27.50.0?
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions  
    It states 27.47 - rollout in progress.
    Its a strange one to be sure...
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 May 2017, 5:25AM
    Visionman said:

Zulu -
    Did you know the official YouView Product Release page doesn't even acknowledge the release or existence of BT 27.50.0?
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions  

Going by the mess that has happened I very much hope the BT rollout has halted till it is fixed. My box has been unusable over this bank holiday weekend and I will be demanding answers today.
    edited 2 May 2017, 3:40PM
    Visionman said:

Zulu -

Re: IPC6017 - Have they comeback to you yet scott? And have they said if this is a backend system-wide issue or endemic to individuals alone?
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 May 2017, 4:35PM
    Visionman said:

Zulu -

Working on a fix as we speak
    edited 2 May 2017, 7:28PM
    Sarah (YV Community Manger) just posted this on the retail 27.50 thread -
    "Afternoon all,
    We're currently chasing this up with BT to get an update on this situation with authentication issues. I'll post an update once we find out more from them :)
    edited 4 May 2017, 2:39AM
    A question for Sarah -
    Why doesn't this BT rollout have its own announcement or thread? Either on here or the BT Community Forum? As its a biggie, and a good one at that.
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 317
    edited 2 May 2017, 11:59PM
    Visionman said:

Zulu -

@Visionman
    The youview product pages are now up todate.  It took 2 working days to get there which is about average for the recent releases.
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/bt-software-update-27-50-0

edited 3 May 2017, 12:15AM
    Visionman said:

Zulu -

Thanks Yasha, but I already knew that as I'd already checked. 
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 317
    edited 3 May 2017, 12:09AM
    Visionman said:

A question for Sarah -
    Why doesn't this BT rollout have its own announcement or thread? Either on here or the BT Community Forum? As its a biggie, and a good one at that.

Also the youview product page for this release to BT branded boxes points to the discussion thread that is titled for Humax retail boxes.
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,074 ✭✭
    edited 3 May 2017, 12:18AM
    Visionman said:

Zulu -

I would actual say the

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/bt-software-update-27-50-0?_ga=2.140789682....

product page  needs to be revised  as it assumes that it is an incremental update to the previous Next gen release
    whilst that would be true for some I presume for others it would be the first version of Next Gen they have installed.

As such the release notice should I believe reflect that and advise of the missing/held back features from the initial Next Gen release,
    edited 3 May 2017, 12:40AM
    Visionman said:

A question for Sarah -

I know. Hence my question.
    Zulu17 - no.
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,752 admin
    edited 3 May 2017, 10:38AM
    Visionman said:

A question for Sarah -

Hey there,

Sorry for the delay in getting the thread out. Phil just posted the feedback thread for the BT 27.50 update here
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 3 May 2017, 10:39AM
    Visionman said:

A question for Sarah -

Hi Visionman,

The software versions are now up to date, and the official feedback thread is up (we will merge this with that one).

Thanks for flagging this one!

Phil
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 May 2017, 3:32PM
    Visionman said:

A question for Sarah -

It's worth drawing attention to the fact that the Latest Box Versions page says that this update is not yet being rolled out to these boxes:
    DTR-T1000 (BT retail)
    DB-T2210 (BT retail)
  • CliveClive Member Posts: 6
    edited 3 May 2017, 6:50PM
    Visionman said:

A question for Sarah -

In case you've missed this
    https://twitter.com/YouView/status/859810495079043074
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 May 2017, 6:53PM
    Visionman said:

A question for Sarah -

Hey Clive, there is a separate topic about this:  https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/youview-picks-up-2-awards-at-the-connies
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 May 2017, 6:54PM
    Visionman said:

A question for Sarah -

Hey Clive, there is a separate topic about this here:
    https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/youview-picks-up-2-awards-at-the-connies
  • skillerskiller Member Posts: 297 ✭✭
    edited 4 May 2017, 2:39AM
    Visionman said:

A question for Sarah -

jimb said:
    It's worth drawing attention to the fact that the Latest Box Versions page says that this update is not yet being rolled out to these boxes:
    DTR-T1000 (BT retail)
    DB-T2210 (BT retail)
    Indeed. In fact, the desktop version of the page and the mobile version of the page differ on those two models; the former says they are currently rolling out 27.47.0 and the latter says they are currently static on 26.40.0.

The fact that the two versions of the webpage are not in sync with each other is nothing new and is something I've mentioned before.

But at least the two versions of the page now agree on the TalkTalk DN360T. Every connected DN360T has apparently received 60.43.111 at least.

Except mine. :(
  • DaveGrohlDaveGrohl Member Posts: 81
    edited 7 May 2017, 11:17AM
    I came back from holiday this week to the blessed relief that is the update. I'm no longer stomping round kicking inanimate objects but there's still huge room for improvement. Landing on the first recorded ep has in one go made the box sufferable.

My own personal wish for the next upgrade is to sort out the horrendous banners at the bottom and top of the screen that block nearly 40% of it off any time you press any button. At least please make these banners user adjustable instead of the 5 second timeout.
    edited 4 May 2017, 5:34PM
    DaveGrohl said:

I came back from holiday this week to the blessed relief that is the update. I'm no longer stomping round kicking inanimate objects but there's still huge room for improvement. Landing on the first recorded ep has in one go made the box sufferable.

My own personal wish for the next upgrade is to sort out the horrendous banners at the bottom and top of the screen that block nearly 40% of it off any time you press any button. At least please make these banners user adjustable instead of the 5 second timeout.

You know, until you pointed it out, I'd never even seen or noticed the 'smudge' banner at the top before.
    This isn't a fix but a work-around - upon seeing the info banner immediately press 'Back' and it will disappear.
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 826 ✭✭
    edited 4 May 2017, 5:53PM
    DaveGrohl said:

Visionman, I know I am repeating myself . . .  if you are using fast forward & rewind, the banner does NOT disappear, you still have darkened screen with only the middle being clear, it's like looking through a tunnel.  I have a lot of programmes that I browse through as I do not always have time to watch the entire programme. This banner gets in the way! They eventually fixed the problem on Freesat Freetime & hopefully they will be kind enough to do this on Youview. All my Freeview machines have never had this problem. John
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    edited 4 May 2017, 6:01PM
    DaveGrohl said:

John, the info bar isn't meant to disappear when its on FF or RWD and its going to stay that way, as there are future amendments coming that are going to enhance this feature further. These haven't, to my knowledge, been slotted for a date yet, but will come at some point in the future. 
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 826 ✭✭
    edited 4 May 2017, 7:56PM
    DaveGrohl said:

Hi Visionman, If this is the case this is not satisfactory. Certainly not good news & many other users will certainly will NOT put up with the current problem. This will be complained about by myself + many others, until resolved. Not sure how you know about the features. I assume you are a trial/tester of the software currently being developed? Whatever features etc added, there is no excuse for not being able to see your screen properly when fast forwarding/rewinding. It’s not a lot to ask. They managed to resolve issue on Freesat after several updates.

Yes, I can understand they might want to add features & need space to show these on the banner, but surely it doesn’t need to stay on all the time when a user wants to fast forward/rewind? Next you will be telling me that there will be charging “50p per go” to let you see full screen. (I’m only joking), but it does make you wonder if they are thinking up ideas to annoy users, who remain sick & tired & change over to Freeview instead. Yes I can see the Tiles make the machine more attractive, but rewriting software seems from scratch & overlooking basic things really is not fair.

My Youview at the moment is not being used much, I am gradually clearing recordings down/not adding any more recordings & using an old Freeview box & my Freesat PVR to record/playback until resolved. Hopefully I will not have a long wait to enjoy using my Youview box (!) John

Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings.