YouView picks up 2 awards at the Connies

SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,622 admin
edited 6 August 2017, 3:57PM in News
Hey everyone :) 

We got some great news through this afternoon that YouView picked up two industry awards today at The Connies.

YouView has picked up the Silver Award for Best TV/Video Service Update/Launch and Category win for Contribution to User Experience - TV & Video

Here's a link to the awards article. 

Comments

• Roger BeesonRoger Beeson Member Posts: 8
    edited 12 May 2017, 12:37PM
    Is it April 1st already? "Contribution to User Experience - TV & Video"? How on earth do you get to win this, despite launching such an unpopular interface?
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 659 ✭✭
    edited 10 May 2017, 2:33PM
    Are you having a laugh Sarah? Meanwhile, the rest of us are awaiting software to fix/resolve/bring back features/get rid of rushed out overlooked errors, that have been taken away from  our machines that we all PAID GOOD MONEY for! Not really a lot to ask for? I certainly would not award Youview any awards . . . anyone else agree?!
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    Congratulations, team on winning the category "Contribution to User Experience - TV & Video
    ".

I see that your submission included:

Approach and execution: "Briefly outline the solution provided and highlight the outstanding features. Explain in what ways it helped evolve the viewer/consumer experience and support the development of the marketplace. What made this solution so distinctive? Include example links."

Results: "Describe the results achieved by your solution highlighting the key technology, business, creative or other innovations. Provide any supporting evidence including positive end-user or client feedback and performance against success measures."

That would have made interesting reading.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 May 2017, 9:20PM
    Hey Sarah, that is great news and congratulations to all concerned. Can you not however see the irony that others will see on a forum presently dominated by moans and groans?
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 May 2017, 9:42PM
    More information is available in the form of the It looks like one even has to pay £99 per entry for which one submits up to 1300 words to describe the project, explain the approach and execution and then summarise the results. Then of course there is the £2500 for a table for 10 at the awards ceremony.

Presumably the judges were ranking the applications rather than judging them on absolute merit or any shortcomings or negative feedback that they might have found from further investigation. As such a win could say as much about the competition, and what they wrote in their applications, as it does about an individual entry. Whilst we have seen mostly negative feedback on this forum I would expect YouView have access to a variety of data and skilled people such that one could easily write a compelling case for submission to the judges. Successful PR is of course often about talking up the positives and not dwelling on the negatives.

Overall I'm not surprised YouView has picked up these awards and I congratulate them on their (continued) success! Now back to work everyone tomorrow as you have unfinished business with next gen, and there are many waiting to see what comes next and very much willing you to deliver a truly outstanding experience, system and service (and of course the sooner the better) ;-)
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 May 2017, 11:12PM
    Keith1 said:

More information is available in the form of the

It looks like one even has to pay £99 per entry for which one submits up to 1300 words to describe the project, explain the approach and execution and then summarise the results. Then of course there is the £2500 for a table for 10 at the awards ceremony.

Presumably the judges were ranking the applications rather than judging them on absolute merit or any shortcomings or negative feedback that they might have found from further investigation. As such a win could say as much about the competition, and what they wrote in their applications, as it does about an individual entry. Whilst we have seen mostly negative feedback on this forum I would expect YouView have access to a variety of data and skilled people such that one could easily write a compelling case for submission to the judges. Successful PR is of course often about talking up the positives and not dwelling on the negatives.

Overall I'm not surprised YouView has picked up these awards and I congratulate them on their (continued) success! Now back to work everyone tomorrow as you have unfinished business with next gen, and there are many waiting to see what comes next and very much willing you to deliver a truly outstanding experience, system and service (and of course the sooner the better) ;-)
    Ouch... but true. Have an award. Sorry, I meant a like.
    And a forum coconut. Highly prized, I'll have you know....
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 May 2017, 1:51PM
    There is some doubt among cosmologists about whether parallel universes exist, or if ours is the only one. And like many aspects of string theory, and the M-theory that extends it, they complain that it is not testable; neither verifiable nor falsifiable, and so fails to be science at all, a criterion first set out in the works of Karl Popper.

But now they have all been proved handsomely wrong; another universe has interacted with ours, and brings news of YouView winning an award for NextGen.

The only possible explanation for this being that this must be a NextGen in a parallel universe that the YouView there have released complete, and correct..

I know this sounds extremely unlikely, but many of the multiverse theories propose an infinity of other universes, in which everything that is possible happens in at least one, and possibly many, of these.

I guess we were lucky enough to hear from one such.

:-))
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • edited 2 June 2017, 12:06PM
    What a joke.
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:36PM
    Believe it or not, this platform has won awards by the bucket load. Though we all agree this new one needs a lot of work by the same amount.
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Member Posts: 246
    edited 4 May 2017, 11:13PM
    A bunch of my friends have just voted me 'Cleverest And Most Handsome Person On The Planet.
    (Mind you, I did have to pay them to do it......)

A bunch of my friends have just voted me 'Cleverest And Most Handsome Person On The Planet.

Noooo.... thats Roy. ;(

The cheque is in the post, Visionman :-)
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • UrsaUrsa Member Posts: 78
    edited 4 May 2017, 7:44AM
    WaTLoB !
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 4 May 2017, 7:44AM
    Ursa said:

WaTLoB !

TLDR
    edited 4 May 2017, 7:58AM
    There is a report in the French media about this event (at least I think that's what it is, I don' t speak French) here:-

http://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefilm...
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 506 ✭✭
    edited 4 May 2017, 8:08AM
    Just shows that whoever makes the awards decisions doesn't get beyond the gloss & actually have to use it.

What an absolute joke.
  • Nick7Nick7 Member Posts: 88
    edited 6 August 2017, 3:57PM
    Ha, this award was obviously for the old software. I ditched freesat to come back to youview because I loved the old software so much. Mistake...
    edited 4 May 2017, 10:34AM
    Nick7 said:

Ha, this award was obviously for the old software. I ditched freesat to come back to youview because I loved the old software so much. Mistake...

No, it's for the new software.

The old software could well have walked away with the Grand Prix, except for the slight snag you might envisage if you follow Keith's link above to the judges, and open that innocuous-looking 'See all judges' panel.

But no doubt he recused himself from that decision, don't you think?
  • Andrew CAndrew C Member Posts: 47
    edited 2 June 2017, 12:06PM
    And then I woke up!

I won an award once, for being the best me! although last year Roy won it........?????? ( I think it was fixed).

On a serious note....... hahahahahaha, nope sorry hahahahahahahaha.
    edited 4 May 2017, 11:41PM
    Andrew C said:

And then I woke up!

I won an award once, for being the best me! although last year Roy won it........?????? ( I think it was fixed).

What dragged you out of your cave? On multiple threads over and over?
    Honestly....
  • Andrew CAndrew C Member Posts: 47
    edited 5 May 2017, 11:08AM
    Andrew C said:

And then I woke up!

46 Comments over a few threads since joining in 2014..... not exactly what I would class as mass posting.

I was unaware I needed your permission to post or comment, I checked the FAQ and the T&C's.....
  • edited 5 May 2017, 11:09AM
    Andrew C said:

And then I woke up!

Same cave as me perhaps. lol
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 May 2017, 2:01PM
    Well - although Youview haven't quite hit the Bullseye with the (arguabley premature) launch of next gen, I'm pleased that they are continuing to innovate. I hope they continue to do so in the future with new features and such. There's a lot of good in Next Gen, it just needs finishing off (in a good sense...Ah you know what I mean!)  With that Caveat - Congratulations!
  • Phil TilsonPhil Tilson Member Posts: 4
    edited 5 May 2017, 8:20PM
    One accepts that user interfaces will be updated from time to time.  One also accepts that such updates may take a little getting used to when one has used the previous version for some time.  However...

It is quite clear from the the huge volume of comment that this particular update is universally unpopular.  From my own point of view, I can probably get used to the new way of displaying the information.  What I CANNOT accept is that now, after pressing the blue button, a right-arrow press takes 13 SECONDS before I get any response.  If I then click OK, it takes a further 14 SECONDS before anything happens.

Trying to move through lists of recorded episodes takes forever, where before one could just delete a string of unwanted recordings in seconds.

I will not join in the chorus of sarcastic comment about the 'award', even though I may have a view(!) but what I really want an answer on is WHEN IS THIS DISASTER GOING TO BE CORRECTED so that we can go back to enjoying YouView services once again?

Please give us a clear commitment to solve these problems once and for all.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 May 2017, 2:37PM

One accepts that user interfaces will be updated from time to time.  One also accepts that such updates may take a little getting used to when one has used the previous version for some time.  However...

It is quite clear from the the huge volume of comment that this particular update is universally unpopular.  From my own point of view, I can probably get used to the new way of displaying the information.  What I CANNOT accept is that now, after pressing the blue button, a right-arrow press takes 13 SECONDS before I get any response.  If I then click OK, it takes a further 14 SECONDS before anything happens.

Trying to move through lists of recorded episodes takes forever, where before one could just delete a string of unwanted recordings in seconds.

I will not join in the chorus of sarcastic comment about the 'award', even though I may have a view(!) but what I really want an answer on is WHEN IS THIS DISASTER GOING TO BE CORRECTED so that we can go back to enjoying YouView services once again?

It is quite clear from the the huge volume of comment that this particular update is universally unpopular.
    By all means add your own voice regarding what you believe to be bad. But it tends to be people of a negative view who tend to bother commenting. Given the user base I would suggest that neither is the volume huge, nor the unpopularity universal.
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 May 2017, 2:42PM

Phil - could you be a little more specific about what is taking 14/13 seconds?
    Bringing up the main menu and pressing right to move from the Guide tab to the Players&Apps tab, if I understand correctly?
    This is absolutely not right or representative of the normal user experience; we should look into what's happening on your box here if that's the case
    edited 5 May 2017, 3:19PM

Your assumption is quite correct.  Press blue button - five headings come up, from Search to Settings.

Press right-arrow twice to go to MyTV.  Nothing happens for 6 - 10 seconds, then cursor moves ONE place.  Another 4 - 8 seconds and cursor moves on to required heading.

Press OK. Nothing happens for 6 - 10 seconds, then Recordings and Scheduled appear, and a few seconds later, the listed recordings. 

Press right arrow.  4 - 6 seconds and the scheduled recordings appear.

And it's like this for everything else - moving between recordings, selecting a recording to see what episodes are there, moving between episodes to delete unwanted recordings etc.  It's a bit like trying to run Windows 10 on an Intel 286! - desperately slow.

When gathering data for this reply, from clicking on Settings to getting the screen display took 16 seconds.

Further info:

Manufacturer:                    Humax
    Model:                               DTRT2100
    Variant:                              84B08500
    Last checked for update:   05 May 2017
    Component software:        3.1.150 (05c73a)
    Manufacturer software:     27.47.0
    Platform configuration:      3258

If you can offer any solutions, I would be truly grateful!
    edited 5 May 2017, 3:28PM

First of all, press and hold the power button on the top for ~8 seconds until it reboots - any better when it comes back up?
    Secondly, could you remove the network cable from the back - how quickly does it all work when offline?
    And then just for info - this is a BT box, are you still in contract with them for TV?
    And did you have any speed problems before the next-gen software update and/or have you changed out any AV or networking equipment in your home very recently?
    edited 5 May 2017, 3:48PM

Very interesting!

Rebooting made no difference.  However, removing the network connection, whilst it did bring up messages saying that players and previews of various things were not available, speeded up everything else to acceptable response times.  I'm sure you have an explanation, but I'm damned if I can think of one at the moment!

This is also interesting because, prior to this update (which occurred whilst we were away on holiday), removing the network connection made accessing the Info data on programmes very slow, whereas putting that connection back made things speedy again.

As to your other questions, I never had any contract with BT; I bought the box at a one-off cost from Currys a year or two ago.  And there has been no material change to my AV or networking kit recently.

I wait in awe to hear your explanation :-)

Phil
    edited 5 May 2017, 3:52PM

One last question before I try to forage for answers for you (I don't have an immediate explanation) - do you have a special DNS server and/or fixed IP address set up on the settings of the box itself?