[Discussion] Humax software update 27.46.0

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 May 2017, 7:36PM

So, have had this update a couple weeks now & thought I would refresh what I hate about this system after a bedding in period. I am a working Mum of a toddler so the need for speed & ease of use it a must.
    *The guiding popping up when you turn on. Unless you watch the first 5 channels its hopeless.
    *Hidden Channels. I have new subscription channels I want to hide. It annoys the **** out of me that Im going to be forced to scroll through irrelevant content.
    *Search. In Now & Next it shows me content of the subscription channels. Look up "Paw Patrol" on "Now and Next". You will see my frustration.
    *The mini TV screen gone in the guide.
    *After watching a show it takes you back to the main guide. Risk of deleting whole series & the hassle of finding the specific episode to delete it.
    *LISTS!!!!!!! Bring these back!!! The tiles are a complete pain. They are very difficult to manage. I bought a YouView box for my Mum & she loved it. She is now saying "I dont use it anymore, I cant find anything". Waste of an expensive Christmas present.
    WILL SOMEONE ON SUPPORT PLEASE LISTEN TO US. We are the consumers who bought a particular product to fulfil a need. You have taken us back in time.
    When I get a moment I am going to get in touch with Trading Standards because this whole situation feel so wrong!!!!
    This update should have been rolled out to new boxes only!!! I feel like ive been swindled.
    I would be interested for people to add additional complaints on this thread. So much has been said across so many threads. Would be good to have them in one list.

C A W>
    "They are avoiding the issue."
    They are doing nothing of the kind and you can't refute that because you quite simply don't know.
    One further point - if you wish to drive your points forward forcefully, fine. But don't throw personal insults at others whilst your doing it just because they disagree with you.
    All opinions are valid on here.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 May 2017, 7:40PM

So, have had this update a couple weeks now & thought I would refresh what I hate about this system after a bedding in period. I am a working Mum of a toddler so the need for speed & ease of use it a must.
    *The guiding popping up when you turn on. Unless you watch the first 5 channels its hopeless.
    *Hidden Channels. I have new subscription channels I want to hide. It annoys the **** out of me that Im going to be forced to scroll through irrelevant content.
    *Search. In Now & Next it shows me content of the subscription channels. Look up "Paw Patrol" on "Now and Next". You will see my frustration.
    *After watching a show it takes you back to the main guide. Risk of deleting whole series & the hassle of finding the specific episode to delete it.
    *LISTS!!!!!!! Bring these back!!! The tiles are a complete pain. They are very difficult to manage. I bought a YouView box for my Mum & she loved it. She is now saying "I dont use it anymore, I cant find anything". Waste of an expensive Christmas present.
    WILL SOMEONE ON SUPPORT PLEASE LISTEN TO US. We are the consumers who bought a particular product to fulfil a need. You have taken us back in time.
    When I get a moment I am going to get in touch with Trading Standards because this whole situation feel so wrong!!!!
    This update should have been rolled out to new boxes only!!! I feel like ive been swindled.
    I would be interested for people to add additional complaints on this thread. So much has been said across so many threads. Would be good to have them in one list.

@northern It is not obvious to me at all, hence why I asked. The tiles are not standalone, they are accompanied by lettering which I find larger and clearer, although admittedly less complete in some cases. I hate to think that you are somehow weaponising disability in this debate.
  • northernnorthern Member Posts: 241
    edited 6 May 2017, 9:14PM

Sorry VM I wasn't aware your comment was directed to me but the answer is no I have not had a one to one engagement with youview on this matter but I have asked them on this open forum 3 times which organisations were consulted eg RNIB on the update and they have failed to respond 3 times . I feel it is a matter for open debate ,not one to one ,as the aim of inclusion is publicised aim of the shareholders
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,955 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 May 2017, 9:21PM

Oh dear, I seem to have stirred up a hornet's nest.

But no, I wasn't being ironic, just expressing my frustration at people who express silly/incorrect views about the update.

Where I don't include Christine, who expressed her views with reasons, and good reasons too.

Everyone is stirred up about NextGen - or at least everyone who posts here, and I am not a proponent of the view that there is a silent majority out there who love it, because that goes against all common sense.

At best, the most charitable view is that NextGen may become a worthy successor to CurrentGen in time, but that time is not now, and releasing it in its incomplete state was a misstep, and releasing it without warning and/or the option not to take it was unforgivable.

Or that's my view, anyhow.

I have been surprised at the ferocity and unanimity of the 'bring back lists' protagonists; I know that YouView got the tiles wrong at first, perhaps still have, but I think they will get them OK in the end.

And if they can't, then a lists option, while representing a considerable climbdown on YouView's part will, I hope, be something they will be magnanimous enough to acknowledge, and provide.

But there seem to be some people who can't leave it at that, who suggest that NextGen looks like the fevered dream of an overenthusiastic five year old.

Such views are just plain silly, and insulting to YouView; but more seriously, they don't advance your cause at all; the reverse is true if anything.

Marta (and John) you may well be grown up ; but do you really think the BBC iPlayer, NowTV , Netflix, Amazon Video, and pretty much any other similar service which uses graphics, is going to give them up, and go back to lists?

More to the point, do you think they need to? These other services may well have a few things to teach YouView about deploying tiles; but these graphical presentations, done right, are a little bit more than a 'fashion craze'; they are the way of the future, so get used to it. (As I am sure you are, almost without thinking, if you use any of these other graphical services).

Which just leaves Chris being silly here; where I might hope, in turn, that he was being ironic, rather than serious.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 6 May 2017, 9:33PM

Oh Roy, you really are insufferably pompous at times. Having stirred up the hornet's nest you now recant, from abusing everyone to just those who suspect that this does not represent in any true sense a majority view. Because it doesn't match with your own. Just say IMO like everyone else. IMHO clearly doesn't apply in your case.
  • Marta ClareMarta Clare Member Posts: 8
    edited 8 May 2017, 8:55AM

No, I agree, they will not go back to lists, Roy. But I cancelled Netflix and though I have Amazon Prime, I never watch Amazon Video because I, (like so many others), dislike the visual chaos. BBC iPlayer does have tiles, but one hardly needs to navigate on them. It is easy to find programs; what's more, there is no need to delete them. 
    Humax is quite a different matter. I own my machine, I have to stick with it, next gen. and all. You are right when you say about the update that "releasing it without warning and/or the option not to take it was unforgivable." I and so many others would be very happy if the unforgivable could be atoned for by an offer to re-release the previous version of YouView. After all, it is only an operating system. If only Humax machines could be returned to factory settings!

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 May 2017, 11:14PM

Roy>
    "I have been surprised at the ferocity and unanimity of the 'bring back lists' protagonists."
    Why?
    Google is your friend. And they found this. Many people see the internet as an excuse to let loose and say things they would never dream of saying in real life. 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 6 May 2017, 11:17PM

redchiz

Judging from some of your recent posts, you must be more upset by my supposed recanting (which it wasn't) than by my having a go at those who overegg the pudding of NextGen-bashing.

But you are quite right to challenge those whose postings are an outpouring of subjective opinion with no objective content, and my snap above may well have been that, so I gave my more objective opinion when challenged.

Sorry if you found that pompous; at least that is something I do not have a monopoly on :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Chris A.Chris A. Member Posts: 75
    edited 6 May 2017, 11:22PM

Visonman ... "don't throw personal insults at others whilst your doing it just because they disagree with you".

Can you point me to these personal insults please?
    edited 6 May 2017, 11:27PM

Visionman

Perhaps 'ferocity' was the wrong word; I am not surprised that, having that view about lists, people expressed it forcefully.

I am surprised they had that view in the first place, rather than the view that (say) tiles were a step forward, but YouView hadn't got them right.

Marta, above, is entirely consistent, though, in not much liking the graphical interfaces anywhere, even in places in other content delivery services where I thought the designers had perhaps got them right.

But you live and learn.... I wonder if YouView will?
    edited 6 May 2017, 11:31PM

Marta

I can't see YouView ever going back.

But consistent, well-thought-out, user pressure may win you a Lists option - though if they do it al all, YouView may well, as a matter of pride, squirrel this away under Accessibility :-)
  • Marta ClareMarta Clare Member Posts: 8
    edited 7 May 2017, 11:09AM

Thank you Roy, for this ray of hope:  "Accessibility" may be the magic word. If lists come back to satisfy that requirement, it will make a lot of people, myself included, very content. 
  • SieskaSieska Member Posts: 5
    edited 8 May 2017, 2:11PM
    With so many people concentrating on the horrible tiles, I hope that 'the powers that be' haven't forgotten that just as important is the loss of the option to list recorded programmes alphabetically. 
    edited 7 May 2017, 2:07PM

Well, 'I would not give you false hope', as Paul Simon sang, but we might dare to conjecture that a Tilings and Lists reunion is only a motion away.

If the motion is put to YouView, and gets carried....
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Member Posts: 246
    edited 7 May 2017, 6:10PM

Actually I've given up watching the telly altogether - Roy Vs. Redchiz is providing far more drama than anything I've watched in ages :~)
    I'm taking bets on Daniel making a surprise return in the episode after next........
    edited 7 May 2017, 6:46PM

I thought you'd be too busy making your own killer box using old toilet roll holders and sticky-back plastic.
    edited 7 May 2017, 4:55PM

Now there's an idea......... ;~)
    edited 7 May 2017, 5:04PM

Just don't accidentally end up with a Tracy Island :-)
    edited 7 May 2017, 5:06PM

Apparently you're not allowed to use toilet roll insides in schools any more because of the 'health hazard'. I'm surprised that any Blue Peter viewers survived.......

edited 7 May 2017, 5:08PM

Yeah, luckily I don't read the Daily Mail so I know that's not true.
  • Christine MurphyChristine Murphy Member Posts: 11
    edited 8 May 2017, 2:09PM

Seriously guys you should swap email addresses and simply email each other without bothering anyone else. If you go back to my original message it has nothing to do with what you are talking about. You have completely diluted my message into a thread full of ****.
    edited 7 May 2017, 6:11PM

Hey Christine, your feedback comments will have been treated every bit as seriously as everybody else's, the fact that this conversation may have wandered off track will have no effect on that. Having said that, your point of view is of no more value than anyone else's and you don't own the topic. OK?
    edited 7 May 2017, 7:17PM

Yeah, luckily I don't read the Daily Mail so I know that's not true.
    Actually I got the news from several school teachers, so I know it is true....
    :~P
    edited 7 May 2017, 6:43PM

Stop it, that urban myth stuff is such **** and not funny, let's leave it, eh?
    edited 8 May 2017, 2:10PM

I'm perfectly willing to leave you with your misconceptions........
    edited 7 May 2017, 6:53PM

And I with yours, now let me try and find that particular way in which you make a smiley, just to be clever and different...  :~(
  • Chris A.Chris A. Member Posts: 75
    edited 7 May 2017, 7:17PM

Visonman ...  You're being evasive. I'm still waiting for you to either point me to these "personal insults" I made or, accept the comical irony that YOU have personally insulted ME by called me a personal insulter. (And yes, I do have a lot of time on my hands today:-)
    edited 7 May 2017, 7:19PM
    Sieska said:

With so many people concentrating on the horrible tiles, I hope that 'the powers that be' haven't forgotten that just as important is the loss of the option to list recorded programmes alphabetically. 

Hey Sieska, so: "Aardvark: a life" will appear at the top of the list. Unless of course it is: "New: Aardvark: a life."
    edited 7 May 2017, 7:22PM
    Sieska said:

Hey Sieska, so: "Aardvark: a life" will appear at the top of the list. Unless of course it is: "New: Aardvark: a life." There is only so much a machine can do you for you, don't you think?
    edited 7 May 2017, 7:22PM
    Sieska said:

Hey Sieska, so: "Aardvark: a life" will appear at the top of the list. Unless of course it is: "New: Aardvark: a life." There is only so much a machine can do for you, don't you think?