[Discussion] Humax retail software update 27.50.0

Comments

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 May 2017, 11:47PM
    andrew1 said:

The new software should be dubbed the arthritis release.  The white box around the 'tile' aka 'waste of processing power picture' on the recording page is soooo slow.  Never have I witnessed such a poor 'upgrade'.  

I thought you were just saying lists good, tiles bad for the umpteenth time, but in a more convoluted and abstract manner. But serious comment? Nah.
  • Dave Howes2Dave Howes2 Member Posts: 246
    edited 7 May 2017, 11:53PM
    andrew1 said:

The new software should be dubbed the arthritis release.  The white box around the 'tile' aka 'waste of processing power picture' on the recording page is soooo slow.  Never have I witnessed such a poor 'upgrade'.  

No, I was trying to find an explanation for why some people find newgen slower despite the fact that it isn't.
    Read. The. Words....
    (I can stick them on a picture if you'd rather.......)
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 May 2017, 12:17AM
    andrew1 said:

Which would be ironic for a TV...
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 8 May 2017, 12:21AM
    andrew1 said:

Surely if we're talking about representative pictures that should be icon-ic ;~)

edited 8 May 2017, 12:21AM
    andrew1 said:

Indeed.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 May 2017, 6:18AM
    andrew1 said:

How often do you really need to scan through all your recordings. I probably like to watch one or two recordings a day and normally take about 2 seconds to find the picture tile so a few seconds each day. How long do people spend looking through their recording list each day. I am surprised you gave time to watch any programmes.
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,601 admin
    edited 8 May 2017, 9:54AM

This update is a load of rubbish and that is being polite. 

Our youView box takes ages to access the recordings menu and will not access the "apps and players" menu.

Please fix this as soon as possible.

Nick

Needs it's own thread for assistance with mentioned issues

Please reference the new conversation here: Takes ages to access recordings and can't access Players & Apps
    edited 8 May 2017, 10:43AM
    andrew1 said:

Again, it's different uses by different people, and none of them are wrong. Our box has always been mainly (and now exclusively) a pvr, sometimes for watching things that were on at an inconvenient time, but mostly for advert-skipping purposes. But there are quite a few backed up recordings towards the end (like the 47 episodes of original Star Trek I'll get round to one day) that get visited once a month or so. But that's my useage, not other peoples. I personally can't see how anyone can be bothered to wade through all those weird unreliable internet based stations, but I wouldn't say that other people should think like me, it's each to their own.......
  • 2ny2ny Member Posts: 2
    edited 9 May 2017, 8:42PM
    mike7 said:

Can you please at least give us the option of a recordings list. The tiles are so difficult to navigate with 11 pages. Interesting that freesat has not followed your lead !!

Hate the update and I would like to be able to roll back to the previous version. I haven't found anything yet that I prefer.
    The recorded list was far more useful. You could see what had been watched, part watched, or not watched, whilst still having the current program in the corner. It was easier to see the grouped recordings, and you could navigate the pages of recordings as though they were on a reel going from the first page to the last and Visa versa. Enough has probably been said about no longer being able to select the start point.
    The program guide can no longer go backwards through channel one to the radio channels. The information page is now just a single page and does not always show all the information.
    Having pressed the pause button, you can no longer see how long you are 'behind' the live program (long enough to skip a block of adds yet, or shall I make myself a drink?) just a different coloured line representing the difference.

A back button that took you to the previous channel (like my last Humax,) would be handy when you'd like to follow the match score, but aren't allowed to watch the program.
  • 2ny2ny Member Posts: 2
    edited 9 May 2017, 9:29PM

Having lived with the update for a while now, I'd just like to register the major thing (but not the only one) that I find difficult to live with -  and that needs to be improved - and fairly quickly IMHO - and it isn't the tiles.

When using the 'back' key to go back in a recorded programme, the black bar appears at the bottom of the screen, and stays there for at least 8 seconds, totally obscuring the bottom quarter of the screen with a non-transparent block (if it is possible to make it transparent, I haven't found the setting yet). If you are watching something with subtitles (e.g. Follow the Money) or something that uses the bottom of the screen for its main content (such as Only Connect) then you have an unnecessarily long wait during which time what you are interested in on the screen is totally obscured. This is crazy. Why leave the bar there for more than a second - two at the most? Why not make it transparent (optionally, if you like)? 

For anyone who uses subtitles regularly, and wishes to recap the past 15 or 30 seconds, having the bar always obscuring the screen must be really annoying.  I only encounter this problem in a few programmes as outlined and find it bad enough.

There may be another key I can press to get rid of it quicker (again - haven't mucked about to find it if there is) - but for goodness sake - why? - more key presses following the 'maximise user key presses' design criteria? What is the function of the bar anyway or have I missed something?

Press "i" key twice to get rid of the blacked area at the bottom more quickly.
  • RobboRobbo Member Posts: 6
    edited 9 May 2017, 9:30PM
    mike7 said:

Can you please at least give us the option of a recordings list. The tiles are so difficult to navigate with 11 pages. Interesting that freesat has not followed your lead !!

It is amazing how this upgrade has managed to remove so many features that people liked. The designer deserves an award.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 May 2017, 10:01PM
    mike7 said:

He got one, didn't you see? :-)

https://community.youview.com/youview...
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • MikeFlemingMikeFleming Member Posts: 5
    edited 10 May 2017, 12:31PM

My box was only updated the latest software yesterday. I have noticed now when I set a recording eg start time 9pm end time 10pm. If the program runs over by seconds or minutes, the recording ends at 10pm and the run over time is not recorded !! . On the old software this was a very rare occurrence The old software seemed to know when the program had started and ended if the program schedule was slightly out. Has anyone else noticed this. Looks like I may have to record the program after the one I am recording to see the end. I have a Humax  dtr-t2100 box.

I've had that problem too, the marginal channel in question being BBC1. Rather annoying.
    edited 10 May 2017, 7:14PM
    I returned from holiday to find I'd been updated to 27.50. Having read a little about the earlier 27.nn releases, I'm glad they got skipped. However, I still find tiles for recordings irritating and far worse to use than straight listings. I don't need to see a picture of the programme, I need to see its title. A simple option would be to provide skins - as HTML5 and Flash has been mentioned somewhere above, I presume the display is browser based, which means content and presentation are separate things. I use OSMC on a Raspberry Pi for playback of files on a local network server, and that provides different skins if I so desire. Would it be so hard for the Youview to do the same?
    I'll also echo others that after stopping playback of a programme in a series, being taken back to root is annoying, that the (now very intrusive) bottom bar stays there too long after fast forward/reverse, and that programs are now more liable to be cut off in the dying minutes.
    edited 10 May 2017, 2:34PM

I returned from holiday to find I'd been updated to 27.50. Having read a little about the earlier 27.nn releases, I'm glad they got skipped. However, I still find tiles for recordings irritating and far worse to use than straight listings. I don't need to see a picture of the programme, I need to see its title. A simple option would be to provide skins - as HTML5 and Flash has been mentioned somewhere above, I presume the display is browser based, which means content and presentation are separate things. I use OSMC on a Raspberry Pi for playback of files on a local network server, and that provides different skins if I so desire. Would it be so hard for the Youview to do the same?
    I'll also echo others that after stopping playback of a programme in a series, being taken back to root is annoying, that the (now very intrusive) bottom bar stays there too long after fast forward/reverse, and that programs are now more liable to be cut off in the dying minutes.

No reason I can see that the handling of AR might have changed.

Are you sure this is not just a horns effect?
  • CegCeg Member Posts: 184
    edited 10 May 2017, 3:17PM

Could this be another one of those niggles that a reset might help with? This isn't the first time accurate recordings have been me tines by an updatee.
    edited 10 May 2017, 4:09PM

I'll give it a whirl.
  • June AthertonJune Atherton Member Posts: 2
    edited 10 May 2017, 6:07PM
    andrew1 said:

I do not wish to enter into any digs at anyone on here so please just let me say what my experience is
    I have now had this update for well over a week maybe its two so I think I can say I have given it reasonable time to evaluate it
    Its slow to respond to my input either on pressing play for a recording or pressing delete it seems to lag and never had this on the previous version
    And as I have said before on series record I watch one and when the episode has ended it says press back which I do and I am now thrown out of the series and have to enter it again, previous version it stayed in that'folder' so I could delete what I had watched and move onto the next episode,, so this seems a bit messy to me.
    this is my opinion and maybe others do not mind these extra steps, one thnig I do like is that lets say once again a series record the oldest recording is first that is an improvement, but I would forgo that to have the other annoyances removed

I have noticed a couple of times the recording ending before the program did, but then I have experienced that on the older version too
    edited 10 May 2017, 6:13PM
    andrew1 said:

Hey June, welcome, nobody is going to have a dig at you for sharing your experiences. :-)

The new look is one thing, but I am concerned that your box seems to be less responsive, that shouldn't be the case. It might be better for you to start your own topic about this, specify which model of box you have, who your ISP is and then those performance aspects you mention can be picked up separately.
  • Paul NormanPaul Norman Member Posts: 39
    edited 10 May 2017, 7:07PM
    andrew1 said:

My experience with nextgen is that it has generally been quite fast and responsive. However I am noticing a little sluggishness appearing in the User interface, tiles are blank, then some text appears then the pictures and the guide not being as quick to load. My box has only frozen once so has not had a power off and on for a bit. I hope there's no memory leak problem appearing.

I won't say it again, but all my family still have the same complaints about nextgen. My youngest still wants to know when I am going to put it right or replace it.
    edited 10 May 2017, 7:10PM

I do hope that "a quick reset" or shut it down and restart don't become standard practice to fix bad coding
    edited 10 May 2017, 7:14PM

I wouldn't have thought so, things have moved on. I lost count of the number of times I had to reset my Sky box, as an early adopter a hundred years ago. And their advice was very specific: physically unplug the socket from the wall, presumably so all the bad spirits could disappear into the ether.
  • bob3bob3 Member Posts: 28
    edited 10 May 2017, 7:30PM

My box was only updated the latest software yesterday. I have noticed now when I set a recording eg start time 9pm end time 10pm. If the program runs over by seconds or minutes, the recording ends at 10pm and the run over time is not recorded !! . On the old software this was a very rare occurrence The old software seemed to know when the program had started and ended if the program schedule was slightly out. Has anyone else noticed this. Looks like I may have to record the program after the one I am recording to see the end. I have a Humax  dtr-t2100 box.

Me too. Maybe I've been lucky but in the last 2 years I've not missed the end of 1 recording until the next gen update and now I've had several clipped recordings.
  • Chris A.Chris A. Member Posts: 74
    edited 10 May 2017, 7:44PM

I've never had a clipped ending to this day! Are you watching some dodgy community channel or something?  "Auntie Ethel presents extreme knitting" etc.  
    edited 10 May 2017, 7:55PM
    andrew1 said:

andrew completely fails to respond :-(

Why am I not surprised?
  • edited 10 May 2017, 9:25PM
    andrew1 said:

I completely agree with Andrew.
    edited 10 May 2017, 9:40PM
    andrew1 said:

No. Your speed should have increased if anything. I would suggest starting your own thread if you too are having speed issues.
    edited 10 May 2017, 10:33PM
    andrew1 said:

Right, well I'm done, I can't spend anymore time hearing about the same problems with nothing from YouView. I will comment again when they next update the box to address the mytv and other well identified problems, which might therefore be never.
    edited 11 May 2017, 12:07AM
    andrew1 said:

OK.
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,601 admin
    edited 11 May 2017, 9:14AM
    andrew1 said:

Morning,

If your box has recently updated and you're finding that it's a bit slow or not responding as quickly as it should, can you please firstly try a soft reboot (hold power button on top/front of box for 8 secs) and if that doesn't change anything, please then try a Maintenance Mode 4 reset (this keeps your recordings). Let me know if this helps with the speed/lag issues :)