Alternate shedules..

Nick7Nick7 Member Posts: 88
edited August 2017 in Support
Haven't used Youview for a year or so, but I'm sure i remembered when recordings clashed, it would suggest alternatives like +1 or another day.. I take it its another feature that's been dropped or did I I imagine it in the first place?

Comments

• KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Hi Nick - you are correct, old gen did this and next gen so far does not :(

Whilst this does not affect me much it does bite from time to time when a triple clash occurs and one has a feeling in the past the box would have resolved it for you and now you have to start trying to do it manually or just give up.

I noted this short coming in my next gen first impressions post/lists :)
  • Nick7Nick7 Member Posts: 88
    edited August 2017
    Thanks Keith. The old software was pure genius.. Do you know if this feature will make a return? Cheers..
    edited May 2017
    Hi Nick - YouView have made no particular comment about the return of this feature. At the moment I would say they have bigger issues to address including a few they have confirmed will return: hide channels, discover, action panels; and also working on the return journey after exiting a recording that is under consideration without any detail as to exactly what improvement they will make. If they can tick off these matters, and perhaps give some clearer response to tiles/lists options, then there should be more room to 'encourage' then to address other issues such as this :)
    edited August 2017
    Sorry for going on, but why release software with a lot less fearures than the previous version? What are they trying to achieve?
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The thing is that the move to NextGen was far more than a serial update, it was a fundamental rebuild of the platform, dropping its dependency on Flash and moving forwards with HTML5. As such each feature set has to be replaced and YouView and/or its partners obviously took the view: OK, enough trialling and testing, forget the blanks for now, time to launch.
    edited August 2017
    Thanks red. What's the big advantage of HTML5 though? What difference does it make?
    edited May 2017
    Big question! Essentially it is about building content including media functionality into a web-based platform, rather than relying on third-party add-ons like Flash. The biggest benefit going forwards is that any HTML5 based platform can be tweaked and adjusted more readily. Amongst all the anguish around the changes to YouView, the update to 27.50.0 is at least an example of the possibilities of such relatively quick reaction and change. Beyond that, Google is your friend! Unless any of our venerable colleagues with hundreds of years of experience in the computer industry want to chip in, there is no guarantee that we mere mortals will understand what they have to say of course. ;)
    edited August 2017
    Thanks red, appreciated.. Not sure how it benefits the average user though..
    edited May 2017
    I understand how you feel that way, especially if particular functions you value have gone missing. So the benefits may certainly not be visible to all just not now, but hopefully going forwards. Innovation can sometimes be a pain in the short-term.

As Henry Ford once purportedly said: “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”  ;)
    edited May 2017
    I understand how you feel that way, especially if particular functions you value have gone missing. So the benefits may certainly not be visible to all just now, but hopefully will become so going forwards. Innovation can sometimes be a pain in the short-term.

As Henry Ford once purportedly said: “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”  ;)
    edited May 2017
    Some very simple ways of looking at it might be to say
    • flash is dying / nearing end of life
    • flash is closed and proprietary
    • flash had some security, performance and stability issues
    • HTML5 can be easier to work with
    • HTML5 is generally accepted to be the successor for many similar applications that currently/previously used flash
    None of that says in what way HTML5 is the right/best choice, but if one accepts that that is the thinking and one does need to move away from flash then the fact a change has happened is hopefully at least understandable.
  • Astrid CulleyAstrid Culley Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2017
    Keith1 said:

Hi Nick - you are correct, old gen did this and next gen so far does not :(

Whilst this does not affect me much it does bite from time to time when a triple clash occurs and one has a feeling in the past the box would have resolved it for you and now you have to start trying to do it manually or just give up.

I noted this short coming in my next gen first impressions post/lists :)

Hiya - I feel the same about this feature being lost. And why on earth bring out an up date that clearly is a down grade full of flaws!!!