'NEW' Humax BT Interface ?

Peter1Peter1 Member Posts: 1
edited 6 August 2017, 4:57PM in Support
"everyone they have asked likes the new BT interface!" I don't know of a single person who thinks this is better, or even as good as the old one. I've always liked the Humax ui and the reason I have two of them but someone has ruined it. Probably to make it more appealing to the Sat night TV brigade. Please sort it out......SKY is looking more and more tempting now.

Comments

• Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 607 ✭✭
    edited 16 May 2017, 3:40PM
    There is one person on here who is a great lover of the new UI - that'll be Daniel :-) - but the vast majority of members who have posted think it's a retrograde step & ruins what was a perfectly acceptable interface.

It's telling how many new members have joined just to express their dislike for the change.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 March 2017, 8:41PM
    Hi Peter - one should strictly speak note this change is nothing to do with Humax. In this particular circumstance Humax simply make the underlying hardware (as do Huawei for TalkTalk) and it is YouView that provide the software.

As for the level of feedback on this forum noted by Tim, as I've noted elsewhere, the level of posts has now risen about 400% compared to the pre-launch levels! As is the nature of forums most people come to post about issues and problems, and it is certainly safe to say the bulk of this rise in feedback falls heavily into that category :)
  • Paul NormanPaul Norman Member Posts: 39
    edited 19 March 2017, 8:41PM
    Keith1 said:

Hi Peter - one should strictly speak note this change is nothing to do with Humax. In this particular circumstance Humax simply make the underlying hardware (as do Huawei for TalkTalk) and it is YouView that provide the software.

As for the level of feedback on this forum noted by Tim, as I've noted elsewhere, the level of posts has now risen about 400% compared to the pre-launch levels! As is the nature of forums most people come to post about issues and problems, and it is certainly safe to say the bulk of this rise in feedback falls heavily into that category :)

And that is natural, most including me come to complain because if it's good we don't need to comment.
    This is a serious failing of trust with the customer,.
  • Matthew FrowdeMatthew Frowde Member Posts: 1
    edited 25 April 2017, 9:51AM
    I've only just got the changes - so sorry for comenting on a slightly old post but the interface works for me! It's faster to start up, faster to switch channels and bring up menus, faster to start iplayer and netflix. 

there is a slight delay filling the guide and I do have some quibbles with the My TV section and the ordering of the programs. But overall - given the platform overhaul that has clearly gone on. It has improved the box no end. I was previously on the verge of dumping it and going elsewhere - but they have breathed new life into a box that seemed to be creaking.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭
    edited 25 April 2017, 9:51AM
    The initial delay in first accessing the EPG (just over 1 sec) is because your box is establishing a connection to a sever. Though once established, EPG key strokes from there should be near instantaneous. 

Try the new HTML5 BT Player. Its a marvel.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 24 April 2017, 5:50PM
    Visionman said:

The initial delay in first accessing the EPG (just over 1 sec) is because your box is establishing a connection to a sever. Though once established, EPG key strokes from there should be near instantaneous. 

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/bt-g4-g5-users-nextgen-now-being-released?topic-reply-l...
    edited 24 April 2017, 5:50PM
    Visionman said:

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/bt-g4-g5-users-nextgen-now-being-released?topic-reply-l...
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 4 May 2017, 10:03AM
    At 11:38 this morning I got an email notifying me that "Hello churchwarden
    The conversation "'NEW' Humax BT Interface ?" has been added to the category: Support" which, when I clicked on it, brought me here - a post submitted a month ago!

I've noticed that I am getting many emails like this, directing me to old posts, perhaps because someone is adding them to different categories.  Whilst I'm sure it tidies up the forum, it is a wee bit wearing..... - or perhaps I'm wrong and there is some other darker activity going on.

It appears that I can't 'unsubscribe' from getting emails about category changes, which I'm not particularly interested in, unless I've missed something.  
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 May 2017, 8:38PM
    Hi churchwarden

I think Sarah is being very proactive in tidying up the forum.

But yes, you get notified. The WPB is your friend :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    Thanks Roy. As a rule, I unsubscribe from emails, rather than having to delete them. Following my design mantra, that I keep trotting out - "the fewer key presses the better". But - heho - if I can't avoid them without losing the stuff I want, I'll have to grin and bear it. Thankfully, this forum has given me so much practice in this area, I'm quite good at it these days (on the whole....)
    edited 4 May 2017, 7:44AM
    Another option, if your email software is powerful enough, is to filter out such mails and consign them to the trash automatically.

I have a gmail address, but usually read the mail from it in Mail on this iPad, which is not very good in that area, and even the Gmail on this iPad is a bit lacking.

But going into my Gmail account on my laptop, I can use the powerful Filter system under Settings, to filter out mail by Sender, Subject or Body Text Contains, to name but a few options. So I could look at a few Category reassign emails, hopefully pick out the common text they have that does not appear in regular emails resulting from user postings, and auto-consign them to the outer darkness.

We use corporate Gmail where I work, and my 20 or so filter entries are essential for highlighting mail relating to the servers I maintain, and suppressing mail relating to the ones I don't; without these I would be doing nothing but scanning irrelevant emails all day.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 3 May 2017, 9:59PM
    Roy1 said:

Another option, if your email software is powerful enough, is to filter out such mails and consign them to the trash automatically.

I have a gmail address, but usually read the mail from it in Mail on this iPad, which is not very good in that area, and even the Gmail on this iPad is a bit lacking.

But going into my Gmail account on my laptop, I can use the powerful Filter system under Settings, to filter out mail by Sender, Subject or Body Text Contains, to name but a few options. So I could look at a few Category reassign emails, hopefully pick out the common text they have that does not appear in regular emails resulting from user postings, and auto-consign them to the outer darkness.

We use corporate Gmail where I work, and my 20 or so filter entries are essential for highlighting mail relating to the servers I maintain, and suppressing mail relating to the ones I don't; without these I would be doing nothing but scanning irrelevant emails all day.

Great reminder, Roy. Over the many years I've used Gmail I've actually got 100s of filters - deleting, forwarding, sticking in different folders, etc etc. Unfortunately, the filtering only seems to be available on a PC, although possibly also via the full site in the Android browser. Much easier to use on a PC, and these days I tend to use tablets and phones most of the time. May set up a filter for this though, now you've reminded me. My preference is to correct something like this at source, rather than allowing it to happen and correcting it afterwards. Although, once set up a filter is totally transparent, and Google does all the work.
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:46PM
    Roy1 said:

Ah, but while the filtering setup is only available on a PC, the filtering does operate for what you do and don't see subsequently, on a tablet or smartphone
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:50PM
    Roy1 said:

Agreed. I was just pointing out that as I mainly use non-PC kit 90% of the time, filters have dropped off my radar a bit. Also, I've retired, which reduces my need to use them so much. Also, I'm getting older and forget things like filters that I don't use regularly. Also, how did I get here? Also, do I know you? And what the hell is YouView anyway...?
    edited 4 May 2017, 7:44AM
    Roy1 said:

YouView is a device for making progress by going backwards :-)
    edited 4 May 2017, 7:45AM
    YouView is a device for making progress by going backwards :-)
  • SarahSarah Member Posts: 1,812 admin
    edited 4 May 2017, 11:39AM

The conversation "'NEW' Humax BT Interface ?" has been added to the category: Support" which, when I clicked on it, brought me here - a post submitted a month ago!

I've noticed that I am getting many emails like this, directing me to old posts, perhaps because someone is adding them to different categories.  Whilst I'm sure it tidies up the forum, it is a wee bit wearing..... - or perhaps I'm wrong and there is some other darker activity going on.

It appears that I can't 'unsubscribe' from getting emails about category changes, which I'm not particularly interested in, unless I've missed something.  

Hey churchwarden,

Sorry about that, it was indeed me. I've been doing a bit of spring cleaning and organising the categories from previous posts.

I've updated the majority of the ones from the last month or so, so hopefully it shouldn't happen again as long as I keep on top of it :) 
    edited 4 May 2017, 11:39AM

No worries, Sarah. As Roy so helpfully pointed out, I do have a solution if I use filters. And it's great that you are keeping on top of the forum. Good for all of us. Thanks.
  • geoffgeoff Member Posts: 1
    edited 15 May 2017, 4:27PM
    the new system is rubbish, everyone l know hates it, everyone should ask Humax for their money back if they cant give owners the option to use the system that was in use when the purchase the box 
    edited 15 May 2017, 4:27PM
    geoff said:

the new system is rubbish, everyone l know hates it, everyone should ask Humax for their money back if they cant give owners the option to use the system that was in use when the purchase the box 

The fault Is YouView's, but the liability lies with whoever supplied you with the box, possibly jointly and severally with your credit card company, if you bought it wholly or partly on one of those.

So I don't know why you said Humax there, unless you are talking about a direct retail purchase made from them.

Which is certainly not something 'everyone' did.
  • Nick7Nick7 Member Posts: 88
    edited 6 August 2017, 4:57PM
    Can we set up a poll? Settle this once and for all? The French certainly wouldn't put up with it...
    edited 15 May 2017, 6:07PM
    Nick7 said:

Can we set up a poll? Settle this once and for all? The French certainly wouldn't put up with it...

Unfortunately, whilst I agree that the French are particularly fond of revolting, even a poll would not be helpful.

1. In order to hold weight a poll needs a 'representative' sample. No way does this forum satisfy that.
    2. Despite the YouView team having researched the best vehicle for this forum, and decided on Get Satisfaction, I don't believe polls are included in the rich list of Get Satisfaction features. (may have been there in a previous 'Gen' and been dropped in a rewrite... who knows?)
    3. Any poll, to be worthwhile, must have some probability that someone somewhere will take notice of it. Whilst there are a smattering of posts on the forum indicating that this is beginning to happen, current developments don't give huge confidence that we can expect speedy or comprehensive implementation of the features YouView forum members are crying out for.

Therefore, sadly, like a number of things YouView related, a poll is likely to be something destined to spend an eternity on the Wishlist. At least it will have plenty of company.