New YouView interface is so bad I want to scrap YouView and find something better

13»

Comments

• jeff keelingjeff keeling Member Posts: 6
    edited 12 June 2017, 10:13PM
    Jim Beam said:

I hate the new look, every time we switch on there is a stupid youview options screen that we dont need unless we select it. I have elderly relatives who sit watching a program with this screen in front of the picture as they do not know how to get rid of it and it doesn't time out.
    Yet again an example of improving something for the worst.

even more frustrating is the fact it defaults to SD channels , so even if you use it to select a channel on startup , you then need to input the HD number manually , who ever thought this was the way forward needs sacking 
  • Paul TansleyPaul Tansley Member Posts: 11
    edited 12 June 2017, 11:19AM
    Jim Beam said:

I hate the new look, every time we switch on there is a stupid youview options screen that we dont need unless we select it. I have elderly relatives who sit watching a program with this screen in front of the picture as they do not know how to get rid of it and it doesn't time out.

Agree - there should at least be an option to choose the default startup channel. The only reason to default to BBC1 SD - is to watch the local news. For everything else, why would anyone not chose the HD channel. 
    Apart from the current breakup on picture on HD of course - but that's just another ball ache. 
    edited 15 June 2017, 12:39AM
    Steve31 said:

Cannot get any of the viewers like iPlayer anymore since had update on May 17th. States that it cannot connect to broadband.
    Have an online chat with someone called "Mike" at YouView - who did not seem to understand that I have changed nothing re cabling etc.. space for brains
    Think I will get an Apple TV and connect thdingcorat way to my Sony Bravia and just use my Humax box for re

not even microsoft impose updates without the users consent, so i purchased a piece of equipment and then they can do what ever they like with it with out my permission 
  • SomersetBobSomersetBob Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    edited 12 June 2017, 11:08AM
    Jim Beam said:

You can press the 'Back' button to remove the bar. I don't follow why you'd have to find the remote, presumably you used it to switch the box on.
  • Paul TansleyPaul Tansley Member Posts: 11
    edited 12 June 2017, 11:19AM
    Jim Beam said:

Start the box up with the remote. It takes quite a few seconds to start up - so I generally don't stand there like a muppet with the  box in my hand. I put it down. It then finally shows the picture - with a bar. I now need to pick the box up AGAIN.....
    Seems pretty clear to me. And yes, you can press the Back button or the Blue button - both if I'm not mistaken involve me PRESSING a button to remove something I didn't want on screen and didn't used to be on screen on the previous version - if I'm not mistaken.
    edited 8 August 2017, 8:30PM
    can you imagine if you woke up one morning to find your car had been taken to the garage over night and they had removed the electric windows, reversing sensors, air conditioning etc. saying its for the best as it saves weight 
    edited 12 June 2017, 11:43AM
    Jim Beam said:

i think the point is , why not have an option to turn off this "feature" ?
    edited 12 June 2017, 11:43AM
    Jim Beam said:

It's been requested, no idea if it will be implemented.
  • Chris LettsChris Letts Member Posts: 32
    edited 12 June 2017, 1:53PM

I think the general consensus is that this isn't rolling back - I'm not even sure they can roll it back. I'd be surprised and disappointed if there wasn't an update very soon that restored the lost functionality and addressed the usability issues of the existing features but YouView have only given vague hints about this (It has to be said that YouView's communication during the whole process but especially after has been appalling).

I too am now frantically googling alternatives and would love to hear about *any* replacements that are available now or are on the horizon.

I've got no real problems with the new guide format EXCEPT I don't like the way that it shows the 'mini guide' when switched on. I'd much rather it just went straight into the last channel viewed.
  • Martin WardMartin Ward Member Posts: 69
    edited 12 June 2017, 10:02PM
    Jim Beam said:

I don't have any problem with my box, it always starts up on the channel i was last watching and it starts up straight away without having to wait, but then I don't have the internet connected to my box. So it would seam that all the problems are been caused with the way the box connects to the internet
  • Nick7Nick7 Member Posts: 88
    edited 6 August 2017, 4:57PM
    They are so slow in sorting these massive problems out. The new software must be a nightmare for them too.
  • wislonpwislonp Member Posts: 18
    edited 15 June 2017, 1:27PM
    Can I suggest a song for the youview team. Listen by Chicago.
  • sim westsim west Member Posts: 36
    edited 15 June 2017, 7:01AM

I think the general consensus is that this isn't rolling back - I'm not even sure they can roll it back. I'd be surprised and disappointed if there wasn't an update very soon that restored the lost functionality and addressed the usability issues of the existing features but YouView have only given vague hints about this (It has to be said that YouView's communication during the whole process but especially after has been appalling).

I too am now frantically googling alternatives and would love to hear about *any* replacements that are available now or are on the horizon.

I'm googled out looking for the same answers, youview were great and now I absolutely hate them. Please give us a choice?
    edited 14 June 2017, 11:56PM

There is a way a simple way to revert back to the old software, it's just that Youview won't do it as they won't admit what a complete load of rubbish this new software is. All they have to do is make the old software available for download when you do a manual check for update on the box and then give you the choice of which software you want, it's that simple.

Amen.
    edited 15 June 2017, 6:55AM
    Roy1 said:

(i) TINWB

(ii) YouView have plans to roll out the missing functionality, such as the ability to hide channels. But their public stance is that everybody they have asked loves the new UI. We can hope that behind the PR facade the penny has actually dropped, but there is no indication of this.

(iii) This depends on what you liked and used from Classic Coke YouView. But Humax and Panasonic, to name but two, make some quite capable non-YouView PVRs, some Freeview Play. About everything else you can get off a £40 Roku stick, Google Chromecast, or similar, or what a smart TV provides.

Bought my own Humax PVR (200 Quids worth), they came all the way to my house in N.Devon and stole it from me, then replaced it with an empty cardboard box from Iceland, they couldn't even be bothered to cross out Iceland and write Youview on it.
    edited 15 June 2017, 12:34AM

Just had a call from my elderly mother almost in tears and angry as her precious youview box has broken and she can't use it. She wants me to fix it for her. Looked at forums etc, and its clear that some total idiots have decided to tinker and break something that wasn't broken. God save us from these fiddling morons. Why can't you just leave stuff alone!!!!! cretins.
    More..
    Having calmed down a bit. It seems clear that some UI designers put trendiness above function and that is inexcusable. The youview box UI was easy to use and was far superior to my moms previous sagem pvr freeview set top box. It was a revelation in comparison. Now from the hundreds of comments on forums, it appears that it has been 'improved' to be an un-useable mess of a UI with serious operational flaws.
    Bad software can damage or even destroy a product overnight.
    It is also not the job of a company to cause real emotional upset to users of their products, especially those who value or need stability in all aspects their life, such as those with reduced ability to learn and adapt. Just think of the power you wield and consider the effect on a person with autism or learning issues or early onset alzhiemers.
    I am VERY angry that this ignorant ill-considered 'update' has upset my mother, and there is absolutley nothing I can do about it. But youview can.
    PUT IT RIGHT YOUVIEW and do it NOW !!

Your lucky mate, as I told Roy. "Bought my own Humax PVR (200 Quids worth), they came all the way to my house in N.Devon and stole it from me, then replaced it with an empty cardboard box from Iceland, they couldn't even be bothered to cross out Iceland and write Youview on it."
    P.S. Hope your Mums ok.
    edited 15 June 2017, 12:38AM
    Jim Beam said:

Rob, your not Mays X advisor are you?
    edited 15 June 2017, 12:46AM

can you imagine if you woke up one morning to find your car had been taken to the garage over night and they had removed the electric windows, reversing sensors, air conditioning etc. saying its for the best as it saves weight 

They did steal my reverse gear, because Youview said they haven't got one, just like my bloody Humax which I loved so much. RIP.
    edited 15 June 2017, 12:48AM
    Nick7 said:

They are so slow in sorting these massive problems out. The new software must be a nightmare for them too.

Don't you mean Two, as in brain cells.
    edited 15 June 2017, 12:52AM
    wislonp said:

Can I suggest a song for the youview team. Listen by Chicago.

And Thieves by Ministry.
    edited 15 June 2017, 11:06AM
    Jim Beam said:

No, just a customer like everybody else.
  • nick62nick62 Member Posts: 8
    I have bad eyesight so the picture based menu/text style/colour is an absolute nightmare for me, an option to select either picture based or text would have been good.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,376 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 December 2017, 8:46AM
    nick62 said:
    I have bad eyesight so the picture based menu/text style/colour is an absolute nightmare for me, an option to select either picture based or text would have been good.
    Have you used Settings/Accessibility/Appearance to mitigate these issues as far as possible, e.g. by using High Contrast?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • metoyouviewermetoyouviewer Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    Dear YouView developers,

Attempting to stretch device capabilities has been alienating your established customer-base.

Your mandatory revision of interface and functionality has proven to be both unusable and unpopular in real life use scenarios on older hardware such as the talk talk supplied DN370T.

Crippling previously well-functioning equipment (just because it is old or lower specification) is not just inconsiderate —it is socially, environmentally and commercially wasteful.

The push to rollout bleeding edge "next generation" features should not be allowed to trump existing customers expectations for physically functioning appliances with simple EPG that "just works" (per the day they were purchased, with only security critical patches).

If the EPG of old can not cope with the growth in channels, it should be possible to edit out the unnecessary channels which are weighing the system processing down.

An overly narrow focus on fine-tuning / polishing subjective 'optimal' navigation/interactions means you have lost sight of what made the youview platform so great in he first place.

Many people will gladly forsake youviews "seamless integration" (of on demand and live broadcast content) - in favour of a more basic service that will at least "feel responsive".

If continuous journalling of content is becoming and exponential processing problem, - can the system at least schedule optimisation / cleanup of the database for periods of inactivity perhaps overnight while in standby mode - do as not to impact on realtime system performance?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭
    Dear YouView developers,

Attempting to stretch device capabilities has been alienating your established customer-base.

Your mandatory revision of interface and functionality has proven to be both unusable and unpopular in real life use scenarios on older hardware such as the talk talk supplied DN370T.
     Minus the features we all want back, I completely disagree with every word of that.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • nick62nick62 Member Posts: 8
    Roy said:
    nick62 said:
    Have you used Settings/Accessibility/Appearance to mitigate these issues as far as possible, e.g. by using High Contrast?
    Hi yeah I've tried that, it does help a little but the text size is also an issue, on the old style list my eyes would eventually resolve the text but with the picture background style it's really difficult