Updating to Fibre

Andy TurnerAndy Turner Member Posts: 2
edited 26 June 2017, 10:15AM in Discussion
We recently upgraded to talk talk fibre from normal talk talk broadband . . . the broadband/wifi is working Fine (speeds up to 32mb) but cannot get any access to youview services, meaning we can't use catchup, on demand or watch anything we have recorded . . . any easy solutions please . . . ???

Comments

• Andy TurnerAndy Turner Member Posts: 2
    edited 16 June 2017, 11:08AM
    We have tried changing all the cables
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 June 2017, 11:18AM
    Hi Andy, sorry to hear this. Is the box showing as connected to the internet? As a first step try pressing and holding the standby button on the box for around 8 seconds until it reboots, this won't affect any settings and will just give your box what is known as a soft reset. Whilst this is happening reboot your router also. Let us know how you get on.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 June 2017, 12:09PM
    Hi Andy. When TalkTalk (or BT) switch a user from copper to fibre, they have to switch your TV account too. I bet you a pound they haven't, so I'd give them a call. Or ask an OCE on the TT forum to look into it for you -
    https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/bd-p/116
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Matthew JohnsMatthew Johns Member Posts: 98
    edited 16 June 2017, 2:15PM
    Also, are you using your own router or a new one from talktalk. The change to fibre requires some changes to router setup (e.g VDSL rather than ADSL) ?
    Visionman said:

Hi Andy. When TalkTalk (or BT) switch a user from copper to fibre, they have to switch your TV account too. I bet you a pound they haven't, so I'd give them a call. Or ask an OCE on the TT forum to look into it for you -

Interesting, never seen that before.
    Visionman said:

Interesting, never seen that before. And why would that affect catch up services?

Also, are you using your own router or a new one from talktalk. The change to fibre requires some changes to router setup (e.g VDSL rather than ADSL) ?

As Andy has said his broadband service is working fine so I don't think there are any issues on that score.
  • Matthew JohnsMatthew Johns Member Posts: 98
    edited 16 June 2017, 1:37PM

If talktalk require a VLAD ID then you'll get internet but no IPTV. Long shot but it sounds close to what he's experiencing. I don't have talktalk so diagnosis is the first step.
    edited 16 June 2017, 1:41PM

It does depend on the router Andy is using, TalkTalk routers are ready to go with TalkTalk TV and switch pretty much seamlessly from ADSL to VDSL, until/unless he tells us any more then we are speculating. And I presume you mean VLAN ID (yes they do, pre-configured on TT routers) rather than a reference to the impaler! None of this should matter just because one is switching to fibre, though.
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 840 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 June 2017, 1:59PM

Unlikely (but not impossible) to be a router config problem since TalkTalk use TR-069 to configure Customer Premises Equipment (CPE) remotely (including username and password info) as well as any other necessities like VLAN tagging (802.1Q), IGMP etc.

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    edited 16 June 2017, 2:07PM

I think we are danger of overcomplicating things here! TalkTalk don't use username/password for fibre connections. And all TalkTalk routers are preconfigured to work with TalkTalk TV out of the box.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 June 2017, 3:21PM

Yes chiz, but the OPs TV account has to be switched from ADSL to VDSL too, as each User Account is 'tagged' with a specific ID which tells the sever what you are, and are not, entitled to watch. Though I don't why Andys catch up services also aren't working.
    Knowing the kit and set up would help.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.