[Discussion] BT software update 27.50.0

Comments

• Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 318 ✭✭
    edited 4 June 2017, 4:23PM
    youwhat said:

I have a DTR-T2100 on v27.50.

The major 'NextGen' UI change which IMHO is a masterclass in how not to release a major SW upgrade and how to hack off a large proportion of your customers. Most people (me included) were not aware there would be such a major change in the interface. How about 'A new version is available, Note: this version has extensive graphical interface changes'. That didn't happen because Youview probably wants to force users to upgrade so it can go HTML5 and 'Cloud' well good for them. What about the customers experience? Youview needs to strap on their rocket pack and get this mess sorted. At least provide appearance settings that reverts Recordings to 'List' but the sluggish UI is probably a 'not going to happen fix'.
    BT, Plusnet, TalkTalk et al. were all aware that this major UI change was happening, I am sure someone vented their frustration and got slapped down. Maybe they don't really care and have put all their faith into Youview's platform (As Youview is driving the bus after all!). I would be interested to know how many guys and girls at the ISP's knew how much of a car crash this update was going to be and realise what impact it will have on their revenue stream on Youview's platform.
    Too many Yes folk out there these days only worried about career progression and screw the customers.

Here are my observations (not that anyone cares):

- Recordings/MyTV screen is a mess, tiles are for tablets not TVs! Youview is assuming everyone has super fast fibre broadband speeds of 70MB+ by using 'Pictures' as the overriding factor to identify a programme is neither clever or cool but misguided and results in a bad user experience (I wasn't particularly enamoured by the listings relying on having a BB connection in the first place (OTR?), but lived with it). I can decipher text quicker than whether it's a picture of Robert Sugden from Emmerdale or not, the text kind of gets lost in the picture, simple list of recordings in text will do as an option with no pictures please.... longer programme titles get truncated which defeats the purpose of the text in most instances

- Recordings seem to miss the first few seconds off the start of some programmes (may be a OTR code issue rather than Youview though)

- I never really used the Scheduled option but make this have an option for text only too

- Now/Next displays tiles with pictures....not good...bring back an option for text only

- Back button drops you to the main recordings screen and not inside the recordings series group, this make it too easy to accidentally delete a series (I recently deleted 56 episodes of a programme the other day, thanks Youview!) this results in an extra step to go back in to the group to delete the episode, is this a feature or a bug?

- Speed is about the same as before, maybe slightly lagging?

- Why was MyTV switched round the OPPOSITE way?  no biggy, just really annoying

- Missing LOADS of features from 'Info' that were there before such as 'Play on demand', View on HD, Watch Now (or something like that)

- EPG does not appear to have changed that much? but the Info button still lacks features from before (as above)

- Unable to jump while still in the episodes recordings screen to navigate to a specific part of a programme, you can now only do this my fast forwarding/skipping whilst in Play mode

- I have found myself not using the Youview box as much since the upgrade as the recordings screen is so clunky and really puts you off

I have not come across one person who thinks this upgrade is a major success or even 'Good' or 'OK', I have heard....'nightmare', 'slow and clunky' or 'I am getting a different box'. These complaints are all because of the Now/Next and the Recordings/MyTV screens.
    The rest of the system menu layouts/options are fine by me and speed is about the same as before (maybe slightly laggy, although the tiles/picture loading may be causing this) 

Action required:
    - Youview need to make an option in 'Appearance' for Recordings/Scheduled & Now/Next to allow for a list/text view rather than the stupid tiles

There is usually an obvious difference in speed on my T2100 and so obvious that no side by side comparison needed. It has been cold started a few times as well as full resets, but the difference I am experiencing will not apply to most owners as mine doesn't normally have internet access.  This means that if it goes to get a tile, or other details from the internet, it won't be able to.  On old gen if I pressed the info button on the guide (for example) it was slightly faster when not connected to the internet compared to when it was connected to the internet.  On old gen it was as if it knew it shouldn't bother and so shaved off a slight bit off the response time.

With new gen it is about the same speed as old gen when I compare the two using the i button in the guide and is internet connected.  But comparing the speed with out the internet then the new gen takes a good 2 seconds longer to display the info details from the freeview epg details instead of the youview cloud details.
    Hopefully once the extended caching of the internet details are rolled out the response without the internet will be comparable to with the internet. On the other hand I'm not keen on the youview version of the synopsis when I have noticed a difference between the youview and freeview versions.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 June 2017, 8:12AM
    I'd just like to point out a few things out about the EPG. There are two (full) EPGs available on a YouView box, which are YouViews enhanced metadata one (internet connected) and Freeviews normal EPG (not internet connected).
    Sadly Freeviews EPG is superior to YouViews, as it provides far more information. And is a fault which has been fed back for years. Me personally? I'd rather YouView used Freeviews EPG, but as they aren't part of the Freeview Group, I don't know if they are allowed. Clarification on this would be appreciated.
    The last thing I would like say is that YouViews EPG, whether on Old or NextGen, has been hosted in the Cloud for years... and hardly anyone ever noticed. :)
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • youwhatyouwhat Member Posts: 29
    edited 6 August 2017, 1:01PM
    The only thing, and I mean the only thing about an internet EPG is that any changes are updated very quickly as opposed to an OTA EPG which can take quite a while to update.
    That's my experience anyway.
    Yes, old gen was in the cloud for EPG/Info but now it's pulling images down now, so more reliant on the cloud now than it has ever been.
    I am guessing it can cache the data/images once received or does it go looking for an update every n minute?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 June 2017, 5:36PM
    Hi, youwhat. What your talking about there is called a dynamic EPG. But only Sky publicly employ such an EPG. And trumpet it as well.
    However upon directly talking to Sky users (and there are many on here), it appears they only apply such detail to their Premium content channels such as live sport (their lifeblood) and Sky Atlantic. The rest, it appears, can rot.
    The BBC are very good at altering their EPG. But the rest, not so. Though it should be noted after years of criticism, since CH5s takeover by Viacom, their EPG accuracy has improved massively and not before time. Though ITV and CH4 can be hit and miss.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • DaveGrohlDaveGrohl Member Posts: 81
    edited 6 June 2017, 10:16PM
    youwhat said:

The major 'NextGen' UI change which IMHO is a masterclass in how not to release a major SW upgrade and how to hack off a large proportion of your customers. Most people (me included) were not aware there would be such a major change in the interface. How about 'A new version is available, Note: this version has extensive graphical interface changes'. That didn't happen because Youview probably wants to force users to upgrade so it can go HTML5 and 'Cloud' well good for them. What about the customers experience? Youview needs to strap on their rocket pack and get this mess sorted. At least provide appearance settings that reverts Recordings to 'List' but the sluggish UI is probably a 'not going to happen fix'.
    BT, Plusnet, TalkTalk et al. were all aware that this major UI change was happening, I am sure someone vented their frustration and got slapped down. Maybe they don't really care and have put all their faith into Youview's platform (As Youview is driving the bus after all!). I would be interested to know how many guys and girls at the ISP's knew how much of a car crash this update was going to be and realise what impact it will have on their revenue stream on Youview's platform.
    Too many Yes folk out there these days only worried about career progression and screw the customers.

- Recordings/MyTV screen is a mess, tiles are for tablets not TVs! Youview is assuming everyone has super fast fibre broadband speeds of 70MB+ by using 'Pictures' as the overriding factor to identify a programme is neither clever or cool but misguided and results in a bad user experience (I wasn't particularly enamoured by the listings relying on having a BB connection in the first place (OTR?), but lived with it). I can decipher text quicker than whether it's a picture of Robert Sugden from Emmerdale or not, the text kind of gets lost in the picture, simple list of recordings in text will do as an option with no pictures please.... longer programme titles get truncated which defeats the purpose of the text in most instances

- Recordings seem to miss the first few seconds off the start of some programmes (may be a OTR code issue rather than Youview though)

- I never really used the Scheduled option but make this have an option for text only too

- Now/Next displays tiles with pictures....not good...bring back an option for text only

- Back button drops you to the main recordings screen and not inside the recordings series group, this make it too easy to accidentally delete a series (I recently deleted 56 episodes of a programme the other day, thanks Youview!) this results in an extra step to go back in to the group to delete the episode, is this a feature or a bug?

- Missing LOADS of features from 'Info' that were there before such as 'Play on demand', View on HD, Watch Now (or something like that)

- EPG does not appear to have changed that much? but the Info button still lacks features from before (as above)

- Unable to jump while still in the episodes recordings screen to navigate to a specific part of a programme, you can now only do this my fast forwarding/skipping whilst in Play mode

- I have found myself not using the Youview box as much since the upgrade as the recordings screen is so clunky and really puts you off

I have not come across one person who thinks this upgrade is a major success or even 'Good' or 'OK', I have heard....'nightmare', 'slow and clunky' or 'I am getting a different box'. These complaints are all because of the Now/Next and the Recordings/MyTV screens.
    The rest of the system menu layouts/options are fine by me and speed is about the same as before (maybe slightly laggy, although the tiles/picture loading may be causing this) 

Action required:
    - Youview need to make an option in 'Appearance' for Recordings/Scheduled & Now/Next to allow for a list/text view rather than the stupid tiles

VM I've done the soft reset that you suggest and my box is still horrendously slow. Every press of a button on any journey seems to take about three seconds to get a response. It was almost instantaneous on the old software. I frequently press buttons twice because I think the box hasn't received the remote instruction. I am perplexed by the people who say their box has got quicker. Why is it that some are quicker and others have slowed to a crawl?
  • jpsjps Member Posts: 8
    edited 6 June 2017, 11:14PM
    youwhat said:

Action required:

Same dude. My box is much slower than it was.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 June 2017, 7:44AM
    youwhat said:

Action required:

Objectively, the NextGen software runs much faster on any given healthy box than the OldGen software did.

But enough people have reported considerable slowdowns for it to be clear that there is something wrong here.

Usually, such slowdowns are amenable to the soft reset that Visionman described, but if not, try a more drastic one.

These two will at least keep your recordings, if not much else:-

Firstly, consider that the problem may be outside your box, and do a flight of resets, starting with your router, then the PLA nearest the router, if you have PLAs, then the PLA nearest to the YouView box, and finally the YouView box itself, again, as above.

If this still does not fix things, you will need to use a Maintenance Mode Reset. The instructions vary from model to model, so make sure you follow the entry for your particular box. You will find them here:-

https://support.youview.com/youview-b...

If you have internet connectivity OK, I suggest an Option 4. If not, an Option 2. And if this restores internet connectivity, then do an Option 4.

Each of these will preserve your recordings, but not much else, so you will have to retune, re-pair devices with the YouView App on them, re-establish any non-standard Settings, and possibly recreate your recording Schedules also, so make a note of any of these things before you start.

If it is now faster, please report success here.

If not, please

(i) go to your recordings, position yourself on the first one, and hold down the right arrow for exactly ten seconds. Which tile, on which page, do you get to?

(ii) please report the make and model of your box, who your ISP is, and which release of the YouView software you are on
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 318 ✭✭
    edited 7 June 2017, 8:12AM
    Visionman said:

I'd just like to point out a few things out about the EPG. There are two (full) EPGs available on a YouView box, which are YouViews enhanced metadata one (internet connected) and Freeviews normal EPG (not internet connected).
    Sadly Freeviews EPG is superior to YouViews, as it provides far more information. And is a fault which has been fed back for years. Me personally? I'd rather YouView used Freeviews EPG, but as they aren't part of the Freeview Group, I don't know if they are allowed. Clarification on this would be appreciated.
    The last thing I would like say is that YouViews EPG, whether on Old or NextGen, has been hosted in the Cloud for years... and hardly anyone ever noticed. :)

Yes they is nothing technically or legally to stop a recorder using the freeview epg metadata for the SD channels. 

For HD channels the situation is different and is tied in with whether the recorder encrypts HD recordings. 

My understanding is that youview have permission to include the HD channels as they have demonstrated that the have made it difficult for the average user to extract unencrypted HD recordings.  Making it difficult for the average user to extract HD recordings is a prerequisite for an application to use the broadcast freeview epg's HD channel details. Unlike some freeview recorders, youview has exceeded the requirement and ensured that it is not only 'difficult' but practically impossible.
    I should have mentioned that I can't watch recordings on channel 7 or record An La news programme that is on every evening stuck at 0 time, all other times are OK....bug? or hangover from the upgrade that can be fixed with a reset? done a soft/hard boot.
    Seriously hacked off with this upgrade.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 June 2017, 9:43PM
    youwhat said:

I should have mentioned that I can't watch recordings on channel 7 or record An La news programme that is on every evening stuck at 0 time, all other times are OK....bug? or hangover from the upgrade that can be fixed with a reset? done a soft/hard boot.

That sounds like an issue that may have arrived with the upgrade, rather than caused by it. Maintenance mode instructions are here, try Option 4 first:

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 652 ✭✭
    edited 19 June 2017, 10:26PM
    youwhat said:

I have sort of now got used to the new look update after having it 7 or 8 weeks now and sort of like it but would still like them to bring back one of two of the old features from the old software and on the min guide would like it to show the HD channel versions not the SD ones unless the channel is SD only.
    I still waiting to see when the BT TV app as well as the Youview app will be getting updated.

Darren
    edited 19 June 2017, 10:42PM
    youwhat said:

I really miss the old interface, the pictures for me, are a killer (and slow on the uptake). They really need to add a 'No Pictures'/'Text List' option in Appearance. Pretty sure I am not alone on this.
    Yeah, missing lots of features, I miss the 'watch on demand' feature the most.
    Looking to replace my DTR-2100 with a FVP-4000T (Freeview Play box).
    Youview have lost me with their arrogant software push......customers first!
    I was a programmer in a former life and this kind of stuff is brain dead, at least meet your existing features before shunting it on your customers. Yeah, they might fix the bugs and add the features sometime this decade, but I paid good money for a bit of hardware sitting under my TV (Yes, I know I accepted their T&Cs) that, to me, is not what I bought. A bit like a buying an Audi and you now have a Ford with less features a less comfortable a drive.
    Sorry, but I am the customer and this is how it goes. Sick fed up reading 'It's not that bad' or 'Wait for the fixes'....it is that bad, it feels like the entire customer base is one big Beta test (or Alpha test!). This is NOT how to do a major SW upgrade roll-out, with respect, features that were there should still be there, roll-outs at this stage are to fix niggles and minor annoyances.
    They have no clue what damage they have done to the Youview brand.
    Will I buy another Youview product in the future....no chance.
    I'm out!
    edited 19 June 2017, 10:49PM
    youwhat said:

Facebook Smileyface saying bye
    edited 19 June 2017, 10:50PM
    youwhat said:

http//1bpblogspotcom/-Y4okTm_EgaE/VpDjQIcEeZI/AAAAAAAAHc4/FkBPP_RXJL8/s1600/Bye-smileypng
    edited 19 June 2017, 10:51PM
    youwhat said:

edited 19 June 2017, 10:53PM
    youwhat said:

Yeah, way to go Youview.....Bye!
    edited 19 June 2017, 10:59PM
    youwhat said:

I should point out that I was not speaking on behalf of YouView, just a personal opinion. You kind of lost me with "arrogant software push ... I was a programmer in a former life and this kind of stuff is brain dead ... They have no clue ... " etc. Gosh, I wish we had people like you working on stuff today.
    edited 20 June 2017, 6:10AM
    youwhat said:

FWIW, I wasn't having a go at you 'redchiz' but venting my anger at Youview....sorry if I came across as a bit annoyed, I am.
    If I did something like what Youview has done, I would be sacked on the spot...just saying. I appreciate it's not the programmers doing this as they do as they are told, I am still horrified though, I have a very good idea how these things are executed and it's not pretty. 
    This kind of stuff makes me laugh out loud and cry at the same time: https://www.ibc.org/industry-trends/youview-execs-hail-benefits-of-the-cloud/2006.article
    No doubt they have ticked the boxes to get their cloud integration done, at the expense of the customer. Just shows why they did what they did.
    edited 20 June 2017, 7:51AM
    youwhat said:

Why does nobody ever pay bad money for something? :-)

But, youwhat, you just gave me another 'Wh-a-a-t?' moment, as per

https://community.youview.com/youview...

So what 'watch on demand' feature have you lost, exactly?

The backward EPG should still work, the Players should still work, and if yours don't, then follow the advice in that thread.

Same for slowness; the new software should be observably faster.

Before you start the above, take the timing test; go to your recordings, position yourself on the first one, hold down the right arrow on the remote for exactly ten seconds; what tile, on what page, do you end up on?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • GrundersGrunders Member Posts: 131
    edited 20 June 2017, 8:50AM
    youwhat said:

Before you start the above, take the timing test; go to your recordings, position yourself on the first one,
    .....which in itself is a slower procedure.

1, press your "Y"ouview button.  It visibly takes about 1 second to complete as it 'paints' the screen with the menu and the tiles and fills them in with the (poxy) pictures.  The response on the old version was quicker.

2,  Move across to MyTV.  Dont forget you have to press TWICE now - double the presses (and time) it takes than the old version which only required one press. 

3,  Press OK (the quicker option between that or pressing DOWN twice) - that too take just under 1 second to 'screen paint' with your recordings and the poxy pointless tiles.  (Remember, you will only get 12 shown - meaning you are more likely to need to scroll into further pages).

4,  Now, normally you will single press your cursor (right/down) in to each tile.  Visibly there is a slower response.  Press the button...and watch the pretty box sliiiiiide.  There is a visible latency compared to the old text list navigation.  Yes, its not measurable in full seconds but it is visible between pressing and the movement to the next tile completing.

Speed isnt just important and measured when just scrolling through pages or *loading the apps faster*.  It is about general interactive responsiveness on all aspects.

Remember, this is the same box, the same hardware.  So it isnt hardware capability specific.  The latency between button press to completion of the action is purely at software level and introduced with the backwardGenNewGen stuff.
    edited 20 June 2017, 9:17AM
    youwhat said:

And after all that, you still haven't answered the question. Why not?
  • GrundersGrunders Member Posts: 131
    edited 20 June 2017, 11:24AM
    youwhat said:

Which one?  If its the question about scrolling speed then I cant because I now no longer use the box in anger for recording and saving, and now only have a handful of recordings (2 pages maximum).
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 June 2017, 12:35PM
    youwhat said:

Roy - "Watch on demand" is one of the action panel options which should reappear in due course.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 June 2017, 12:55PM
    youwhat said:

It's something that I really miss.
    If I spotted a programme that I wanted to watch which had already started I would record 5 minutes of it. Then at a later time this brief recording would appear in the recordings list and then I could use the action panel to watch the on demand version (not the recording).
    edited 20 June 2017, 1:31PM
    youwhat said:

@Roy
    "So what 'watch on demand' feature have you lost, exactly?"

Unless there is an issue with my box, on the old version (prior Next Gen) under 'i' / Info there used to be a 'Watch On Demand' if it was a repeat and you missed the start of the programme. Right now on the new sw, under 'i' from watching a channel (or from the Guide) these options no longer exist. This was the most useful feature on the system IMHO.
    Regarding speed, sluggish is probably a better description and the most infuriating 'new feature' is getting dumped to the recordings home screen when you want to delete the recording you just watched (probably being addressed soon I believe, if not already on rollout) .

"The backward EPG should still work.."
    Yes, but the 'Watch on Demand' feature in 'i'/info is gone, that's what I meant. That was a nice way to quickly see if you could watch it instantly on demand, if you missed the start of a programme (normally a repeat).

I am a youview customer (like yourself) whose viewing experience has been seriously eroded as the majority of my interaction with Youview is through the scheduled recordings/playback (hardly used the box since the upgrade TBH). I am all for change but change for the sake of change to add some pretty pictures/thumbnails and removing useful accessible features is not helpful. I understand that Youview railroaded the sw push to make it more cloud integrated, rewrite the Flash UI to HMTL5 and speed up some features such as on demand players, of this Youview has succeeded but failed on features. The downside to this is they changed the basic regularly used features (Recordings list to thumbnails et al.) but left other features in tact? it makes no sense other than trying to make it look more 'NextGen' using thumbnails/tiles affecting the end users UI experience. New customers to Youview will have a better experience as what you don't know won't hurt you and will be oblivious to the feature changes.

Before the sniping starts, stop and think what damage you are doing to the Youview platform first. My experience on here (very short term I might add) is to slap down anyone who complains about Youview's new platform.
    edited 20 June 2017, 3:15PM
    youwhat said:

OK, terminology, I understand now, it's the Action Panel you are bemoaning the loss of.

Yes, currently AWOL, but slated to return.

There's no sniping going on; the thread I pointed you to is intended to be helpful to those who, in the middle of a list of acknowledged problems with NextGen as it is now, mention something that isn't a problem in the release, and tells them how to clear it.

We have had one such today; but you aren't one, what you were describing was one of the acknowledged issues.

Ah well, a 1-1 draw so far.

But if you want to see what the old hands here think of Next Gen, then look at:-

https://community.youview.com/youview...

in which Keith gives a dispassionate and very accurate comprehensive summation of the issues.

In an ideal world, this might just have been followed by a few thousand Me Toos, but most people have felt the need, when giving their selection from the issues Keith enumerated, and the other, remediable, issues that have arisen as a consequence of the releases (like my own 'Mute not working' which was as real as any hard bug, but wasn't a bug really, just an artefact) to add a healthy dose of vitriol, as you have done, to telegraph their outrage.

So yes, you might see a little soda added back in these threads from time to time to bring the pH closer to 7 again:-)

But rest assured that we (and I am a user like you, not a YouView employee, all of whose are clearly signposted) have views about NextGen not a million miles from a more temperate version of yours, and of many of the other posters here.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my reaction on seeing NextGen as launched, given its state of unreadiness, was not 'Ah, how welcome!' but rather 'Aaargh, no!'
    Virgin Media installed today with the new V6 box, beautiful, intuitive software. Goodbye and good riddance **** YouView box. Hope the software is sorted out for everyone else still using it.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 June 2017, 12:42PM
    jps said:

Virgin Media installed today with the new V6 box, beautiful, intuitive software. Goodbye and good riddance **** YouView box. Hope the software is sorted out for everyone else still using it.

If you like a 3 out of 5 'dated' interface I suppose

https://www.whathifi.com/virgin-media...

Our Verdict
    A good TV box held back by average TV content
    For
    Speedy operation
    Future-proofed for 4K, HDR and Dolby Atmos
    Excellent multi-room offering
    Small size
    Against
    Lack of UHD content
    Lack of Dolby Atmos content
    Dated interface
    Bland looks
    Expensive
    Reviewed on 16th February 2017

Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/virgin-media...

For comparison here is the bt box with the new interface that gets 4 out of 5

https://www.whathifi.com/bt-tv/g5/review
    edited 30 June 2017, 12:43PM
    jps said:

It might be a tad dated, but it's fast and slick. And I think that is the most important thing when trying to watch TV.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 June 2017, 12:50PM
    jps said:

it comes bottom of the three in the shootout review

https://www.whathifi.com/features/bt-...

I particularly like this comment :-

Virgin v6 interface-
    But it’s mostly text-based, with the odd low-rent icon, so feels very much stuck in the past.

:-)