Huawei DN371T Not updating software.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 June 2017, 7:15AM

I saw a couple of these - brand new, sealed box - in Asda reduced to £12 on Friday and seemed like a pretty good deal so picked one up. Unfortunately I've found out the same as you, the box will not update and does not load iPlayer or ITV Hub but otherwise initially it seemed to perform OK if a little slow.

I think the version number is slightly different to yours, however after changing some settings yesterday now it is actually not responding at all, just displays a black screen after boot up.

By the way, the response from YouView about trial software sounds like rubbish to me..

Hi Rez

Touch the On/Standby button for just over 8 seconds, and see if the box reboots, and comes back to life.

As your box is a retail purchase, you are not so much up a Gumtree as Timjs1209 is; you should not have the alleged 'non-updateable trial version' he has.

And you are entitled to ask YouView why your box won't update.

Regarding that, I have never heard of a non-updateable YouView box (though I imagine there are many Listers who would have loved to have had one), but it certainly sounds as if this one was not supposed to find its way into the wider world.

But anything Asda are selling should be a proper retail box.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Timjs1209Timjs1209 Member Posts: 22
    edited 20 June 2017, 6:50PM
    Some more investigation has dug up an interesting snippet from the official Huawei DN371T manual (that is available via a link from the TalkTalk website of all places:- 
    https://community.talktalk.co.uk/eigde79682/attachments/eigde79682/116/34981/1/DN371T%20YouView%20Bo...

On page 114 it states:-

3.12.6 I can't update to the latest software version on my box
    YouView boxes are designed to automatically check and update their software when a newer version becomes available. It’s also possible to check and manually update - see Software Update. We are aware that a small number of boxes are experiencing problems updating their software and are investigating the issue. If you are experiencing this issue and have already tried a manual update via Settings, we would ask that you contact us and let us know the following:
    A. The active software and configuration version details: Settings > System Information > Software Versions
    B. Your broadband provider and if known your router make and model
    C. The download speed on your home network - you can use our Availability Checker to obtain this
    D. How your box is connected to the router, i.e. via Powerline adapters or a direct Ethernet cable
    E. The date you first installed and set-up your YouView box.

There is an email address at the end of the manual and so I have done as advised. The email hasn't bounced back and so must still be in use.
    We will see if I get any response.

This does also bring into doubt the advice given by Youview.
    All-in-all, I don't think that either Huawei or Youview has a clue!
    Tim
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 20 June 2017, 8:54AM
    Timjs1209 said:

Some more investigation has dug up an interesting snippet from the official Huawei DN371T manual (that is available via a link from the TalkTalk website of all places:- 
    https://community.talktalk.co.uk/eigde79682/attachments/eigde79682/116/34981/1/DN371T%20YouView%20Bo...

On page 114 it states:-

3.12.6 I can't update to the latest software version on my box
    YouView boxes are designed to automatically check and update their software when a newer version becomes available. It’s also possible to check and manually update - see Software Update. We are aware that a small number of boxes are experiencing problems updating their software and are investigating the issue. If you are experiencing this issue and have already tried a manual update via Settings, we would ask that you contact us and let us know the following:
    A. The active software and configuration version details: Settings > System Information > Software Versions
    B. Your broadband provider and if known your router make and model
    C. The download speed on your home network - you can use our Availability Checker to obtain this
    D. How your box is connected to the router, i.e. via Powerline adapters or a direct Ethernet cable
    E. The date you first installed and set-up your YouView box.

There is an email address at the end of the manual and so I have done as advised. The email hasn't bounced back and so must still be in use.
    We will see if I get any response.

This does also bring into doubt the advice given by Youview.
    All-in-all, I don't think that either Huawei or Youview has a clue!
    Tim

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear you've had this issue with your Huawei retail box. The current version of software you mention having on the box is 71.30.05 which I believe is a trials software version number.

This software was not made available as a commercial release, which might explain why the box is having difficulty updating to the latest software available for it.

It is Huawei who control the release of the software for this box model, and also deal with the trials software available so we recommend giving them a call to let them know you believe this to be the case, and what they can do.

Their contact information can be found over on our useful contacts page. Let me know if you have any further problems with this.

Phil
    edited 20 June 2017, 6:50PM
    Hi Phil,
    Thanks for the information.
    I called the number (again!) and was told that they couldn't offer any help with the DN371T and they said that there was a dedicated number for help.
    Guess what?
    The number that I was given is the Youview Helpline number!
    So this is going to be one of those problems that just goes round and round.
    I called Huawei back and was given an email address, to which I have sent all details of the problem.
    Lets see what happens now.
    I do like this retail Huawei box, but Huawei are making it very difficult for customers who have bought one in good faith on the Youview reputation.
    The deadline for return of the box and a refund is Friday 23rd and so I will give it another day before giving up.
    Shame really.

Tim
    edited 20 June 2017, 12:24PM

I saw a couple of these - brand new, sealed box - in Asda reduced to £12 on Friday and seemed like a pretty good deal so picked one up. Unfortunately I've found out the same as you, the box will not update and does not load iPlayer or ITV Hub but otherwise initially it seemed to perform OK if a little slow.

I think the version number is slightly different to yours, however after changing some settings yesterday now it is actually not responding at all, just displays a black screen after boot up.

By the way, the response from YouView about trial software sounds like rubbish to me..

So which Asda was selling sealed box, brand new ones for 12 quid then?
    Not that I want another one, but two large stores locally don't have any and asking Customer Services drew blank lost faces!!!
    Although it would be worth buying one for the hard drive alone.
    edited 22 June 2017, 5:18PM
    Another update. Spoke to a Youview agent earlier and he told me that Huawei have refused the NextGen update for retail models. Now if that was true AND I could get my 371 to update to the latest OldGen software, I would be one very happy customer.
    Tim
    edited 20 June 2017, 2:19PM
    Timjs1209 said:

Another update. Spoke to a Youview agent earlier and he told me that Huawei have refused the NextGen update for retail models. Now if that was true AND I could get my 371 to update to the latest OldGen software, I would be one very happy customer.
    Tim

Hi Tim,

I will investigate this further with our teams here and Huawei. When I have more information I will let you know.

The information you have is correct in that Huawei have not made the Next Gen software available for this box model. It would be an updated version of the current gen software.
    edited 20 June 2017, 2:40PM
    Timjs1209 said:

Tim

So, one box left behind, then? :-(

I foresee a rush for these on eBay, etc., especially if you can ensure they can get the last and latest CurrentGen release :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 June 2017, 3:18PM
    Timjs1209 said:

Tim

Unfortunately none on eBay right now.
    (A few remote controls, but no boxes.)
    edited 20 June 2017, 5:59PM
    Timjs1209 said:

Tim

Hi Phil,
    Thanks for the information and for any help that might be forthcoming.
    Thinking about it, the 'official' retail software must be held somewhere within Huawei and it should be straightforward to get it onto my box. Now whether this would be by direct link to Huawei or via USB is another matter.
    The hurdle, I think, would be getting Huawei to comply. But surely it is in both Huawei and Youviews best interests to get this sorted.
    I surely can't be the only person who has bought a retail DN371T only to find that it has trial software and is prevented from updating?
    Don't give up on this Phil!
    Many thanks.
    Tim
    edited 20 June 2017, 6:14PM
    Timjs1209 said:

Tim

Another important factor for me at least is that the early retail software (including mine) does not allow access to TalkTalk internet channels. Phil, any chance you could confirm what software version added this as it is confirmed to work by the online Huawei 'Frequently Asked Questions' dated October 2014. Also, did a further update allow for the recording of internet channels?
    You will appreciate that this sort of information will be a big factor in deciding whether to return the box or not.
    Thanks.
    Tim
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 June 2017, 7:10PM
    Timjs1209 said:

Tim

Hi Tim - looking at the limited release info available, summarised on the consolidated list of updates and changes, the ability to record the TV boost channels (which are presumably IPTV channels) came in for the TalkTalk Huawei boxes at software versions 70.34.09 and 72.34.17.

I would thus speculate that for a DN371T you need software version 71.34.xx or newer.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 June 2017, 9:56PM
    Interesting... So a TalkTalk trialist replaced his TalkTalk supplied box with a retail one and then (presumably) manually updated it with trial software, which he shouldn't have done, as the/that model isn't on the list. So this box is unique.
    I'm wondering if Phil can contact TalkTalk on Tims behalf and get them to send him a USB stick that will wipe the current firmware and update to the OldGen version it should be on. 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 20 June 2017, 9:47PM
    Timjs1209 said:

Tim

Tim said 'access', not 'record'.
    edited 20 June 2017, 9:56PM
    Visionman said:

Interesting... So a TalkTalk trialist replaced his TalkTalk supplied box with a retail one and then (presumably) manually updated it with trial software, which he shouldn't have done, as the/that model isn't on the list. So this box is unique.
    I'm wondering if Phil can contact TalkTalk on Tims behalf and get them to send him a USB stick that will wipe the current firmware and update to the OldGen version it should be on. 

Not necessarily.

Put the case that before releasing the DN371T to the retail channel generally, some not-for-resale trial boxes were given a limited release, perhaps for testing, or equally likely, for evaluation by the big store chains and internet suppliers like Currys, Argos, John Lewis, Richer Sounds, Amazon, etc.

And one of these sample boxes has found its way, via Gumtree, to an unsuspecting buyer who thought he was getting a kosher retail model.

So Tim, your box is likely Retail only in the sense that this model was destined for retail, but what you have is, in essence, just a pre-production (or at least pre-distribution) sample.

I hope YouView can sort you out though.
    edited 22 June 2017, 3:27PM
    Timjs1209 said:

Tim

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear that you had issues with Huawei support on this one, this is something I will follow up with them to make sure it's corrected.

Just to update you, we are currently speaking to Huawei to ensure the software is made available for your box model. I believe you have been in contact with our support team who will also be updating you via email.

The software version 71.42.57 was released late last year and when your box is updated it should work with your TalkTalk internet channels, and recording of these channels. This particular update was released three years later than the current software you have on your box, so there will be quite a few changes on there.

Our team should be in touch directly to confirm.

Phil
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 June 2017, 3:27PM
    Timjs1209 said:

Tim

Nice one, Phil. :-)
    edited 22 June 2017, 5:18PM
    Timjs1209 said:

Tim

That is very good news Phil. I do hope that the software is forthcoming.
    Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.
    Tim
  • rezabeladyrezabelady Member Posts: 3
    edited 22 June 2017, 10:15PM

It was from the store in Wembley. The boot up issue I had seems to have been related to IPTV channels - I had tuned to AMC to see if it worked (have BT Broadband but only this channel free and their most basic box). I turned on with ethernet cable disconnected and managed to boot. The software version is actually 71.30.07. I've now received an email from support saying they are working on making the update available.
    edited 24 June 2017, 9:41AM
    Hi All,
    A lot has happened this week!
    I have had a lot of help from Phil and James at Youview and probably others behind the scenes. But to cut a long story short, I have today received an email from Huawei to confirm that the latest software is going to be sent to me on a USB stick.
    This, I am told, will update my 371 to the latest available software (71.42.57).
    This will bring the box right up to date with all features that were on other pre-NextGen boxes.
    The very good news though, is that Huawei have refused the NextGen update and so I will have the good old familiar layout for the foreseeable future (never say never though!).

I Would just like to offer most grateful thanks to the team at Youview for their help in getting this sorted out. I did expect the worse, but they stuck with it and have earned a great deal of respect for their efficiency and speed of work, for what, afterall, may only benefit a small number of customers.

So to all owners of the 371, enjoy the box. It is unique in its retention of OldGen and it looks good. In my experience, it is only very slightly slower than the T2000, but quieter and best of all, rare!

Thanks for all contributions to this thread. It is much appreciated.

Now, off you all go and try to find one!!!

Tim

Will update later, once USB stick has arrived and software sorted (fingers tightly crossed).
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 June 2017, 2:19PM
    redchiz said:

VM, why would it be on TalkTalk's website? It is a retail box, nothing to do with them. It is mentioned on the YouView website on the latest software page, where else would you expect to find it?

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions

That is so bizarre.
    Why on earth would BT sell them?
    edited 27 June 2017, 2:24PM
    redchiz said:

VM, why would it be on TalkTalk's website? It is a retail box, nothing to do with them. It is mentioned on the YouView website on the latest software page, where else would you expect to find it?

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions

Because it is just a branding thing, remember dabs.com? BT took them over to strengthen their overall online retail base. They sell all kinds of electronics stuff on there, it is Shop owned by BT for selling stuff, not a Shop for selling BT stuff.  ;)
    edited 27 June 2017, 2:52PM
    redchiz said:

Because it is just a branding thing, remember dabs.com? BT took them over to strengthen their overall online retail base. They sell all kinds of electronics stuff on there, it is a Shop owned by BT for selling stuff, not a Shop for selling BT stuff.  ;)
    edited 1 July 2017, 7:59PM
    redchiz said:

I guess dabs.com must have chosen BT as their ISP, and the next thing they knew, the BT branding was all over their website :-)
    edited 30 June 2017, 10:05AM
    Update June 30th 2017.
    I received the USB stick on Wednesday 29th and following the simple intructions, my DN371T successfully updated to the latest (71.42.62) software.
    So my box now has all functions that all of the other boxes had just prior to the NextGen update.
    Huawei are not taking the NextGen software for retail boxes and so I am very happy!
    There is a very noticeable improvement in speed of navigating menus (not that it was particularly sluggish before). The picture quality remains simply brilliant. And no fan noise!
    I can receive and record my TalkTalk boost channels (Sky 1 and so on) and overall, a potentially good box has become brilliant.
    So a general feeling of foreboding just after purchase has turned into delight, with the help of Phil and James at Youview. Thanks again.
    Special thanks also to Nick at Huawei who has been very helpful in arranging the (free) supply & delivery of the USB stick, together with interesting snippets and information, that I won't post here.
    This has shown Huawei to be very customer-orientated and it is to be applauded.
    Its still early days, but so far I can wholeheartedly recommend the DN371T.
    The problem as we all know, is finding one.
    Good luck if you try and thanks to all contributors to this thread.

Tim
    edited 30 June 2017, 11:26AM
    Forgot to say that the latest software version I expected was 71.42.57. However, the supplied software is 71.42.62 and so a bonus!!! Would love to know what else was added but probably a 'maintenance' upgrade.
    Tim
  • rezabeladyrezabelady Member Posts: 3
    edited 1 July 2017, 8:58AM
    I also received the update on USB today and very happy now iPlayer and ITV apps work. TBH I don't know what the big deal is between OldGen and NextGen software but what it has looks good to me - I guess the basic BT box I got when I signed up to their broadband has the NextGen but I only use it in spare room for catch up services/no aerial is connected so have never really used the interface.

Actually regret not buying the other one on the shelf to replace a box in another room now! In hindsight should have been a no brainer £12 quid for a dual tuner PVR with catch up and should have had no problem returning if it turned out to be a dud but appeared too good to be true at the time (and initially seemed that was the case with the update/apps failing).
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 June 2017, 7:15PM
    Timjs1209 said:

Hi all. Many thanks for the comments. This surely is a mystery.
    I bought the DN371T from a local seller on Gumtree. It was advertised as refurbished, but when it arrived, it still had all protective film on it and complete accessories and manuals etc.
    I used my old 372 for a few years and have been very pleased with it. I also used it to watch subscription channels. However, last year I got a Humax T200 to replace the 372 and had it changed to primary box so as to watch my subscription channels. It has updated to NextGen without problem. However, I really don't like the NextGen interface and coupled with a few other 'niggles' such as the whirring and the fact that I really think the picture quality is better on the Huawei boxes, I couldn't resist the 371 when I saw it advertised. One real benefit of the Huawei models is that they are completely silent in operation. I can hear the Humax always!
    So to answer a couple of questions, I do know that I can use any box and have certainly tried a few!
    The 371 appealed because of the points already made and the fact it has a 500G hard drive and I knew that NextGen hadn't yet arrived on the 371. 
    The first reply by Visionman gave the impression that I had to contact TalkTalk to get the 371 changed to primary box before it would update. This seems to imply that TalkTalk are inhibiting a retail box from updating and that, surely, must be wrong?
    I have thought about taking it to my sons house and installing it from scratch using his internet. He is also with TalkTalk, but not a Youview customer. This might work?
    I do think that Youview need to join in here and help out. The 371 is a retail box, bought in good faith and it should still be supported. If it is not supported anymore, then could someone at Youview confirm as such ?
    Although I joined the community specifically to find an answer to my problem, I have been a visitor for many years. I have noted that Youview don't seem to respond very much. I would hope that someone does on this occasion because this is quite an issue.
    Many thanks for all of your contributions.
    Tim

Not been funny but you must be the only person on this forum who would rather have a huawei box. The Humax boxes are superior and always will be.
    edited 30 June 2017, 10:28PM
    Timjs1209 said:

I bought the DN371T from a local seller on Gumtree. It was advertised as refurbished, but when it arrived, it still had all protective film on it and complete accessories and manuals etc.
    I used my old 372 for a few years and have been very pleased with it. I also used it to watch subscription channels. However, last year I got a Humax T200 to replace the 372 and had it changed to primary box so as to watch my subscription channels. It has updated to NextGen without problem. However, I really don't like the NextGen interface and coupled with a few other 'niggles' such as the whirring and the fact that I really think the picture quality is better on the Huawei boxes, I couldn't resist the 371 when I saw it advertised. One real benefit of the Huawei models is that they are completely silent in operation. I can hear the Humax always!
    So to answer a couple of questions, I do know that I can use any box and have certainly tried a few!
    The 371 appealed because of the points already made and the fact it has a 500G hard drive and I knew that NextGen hadn't yet arrived on the 371. 
    The first reply by Visionman gave the impression that I had to contact TalkTalk to get the 371 changed to primary box before it would update. This seems to imply that TalkTalk are inhibiting a retail box from updating and that, surely, must be wrong?
    I have thought about taking it to my sons house and installing it from scratch using his internet. He is also with TalkTalk, but not a Youview customer. This might work?
    I do think that Youview need to join in here and help out. The 371 is a retail box, bought in good faith and it should still be supported. If it is not supported anymore, then could someone at Youview confirm as such ?
    Although I joined the community specifically to find an answer to my problem, I have been a visitor for many years. I have noted that Youview don't seem to respond very much. I would hope that someone does on this occasion because this is quite an issue.
    Tim

Not being any funnier than you, but you must be the only person on this forum who is balls-out for NextGen as it currently is.

A number of us are cautiously optimistic that YouView's promise of 'jam tomorrow' will eventually bear fruit, but a much larger number want CurrentGen back forthwith.

And every manjack of them must be wishing they could swap their NextGen Humax or subscription Huawei for a Retail Huawei DN371T, guaranteed to stay on CurrentGen without special measures being needed, this instant.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 June 2017, 9:36PM
    Timjs1209 said:

Tim

Certainly not. I would not want to lose 500gb of space. I find next gen easier to use. Sometimes I struggled to see the lists on my bad days which made youview classic a pain some days. I have been able to use next gen on my good days and bad days so it's not annoying the wife when I ask her to come into the living room if she is in another room just to help me find a recording which means I have less headaches. I certainly don't know in real life one person who would trade a humax for a huawei box and lose 500gb as mine is a 1tb box. For me 500gb would be no good because I record a hell of a lot. Take a look at under my tv. image